• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What're you REALLY here for, Era?

• DEATH STRANDING BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Votes: 944 64.5%
  • Gimme that Gears 5 Campaign goodness!

Votes: 242 16.5%
  • Call of Duty for me!

Votes: 109 7.4%
  • One new SEGA AAA IP, please!

Votes: 346 23.6%
  • I'm here for the Destiny stuff, boss

Votes: 127 8.7%
  • Predator Gameplay Reveal!

Votes: 116 7.9%
  • Updates on games I'm already playing...!

Votes: 156 10.7%

• Total voters

Rojiraan

Oct 30, 2017
Paris, France
What is a "professional" conference? What exactly do you guys think these are? They are all glorified commercials. They exist for marketing, all of them. If putting Kojima front and center of the marketing for Death Stranding has worked to this point (it seems to be doing well at preorders for what it's worth) why would they stop? Because people think it feels "weird" or "gross" or "unethical" or whatever for reasons they can't explain?

Well if it's working for the game and Sony, okay then 😕
But I often see people here and elsewhere complaining about this situation, and I agree with that. Of course the core of all this is marketing communication, I didn't know if professional was the right term to use, so I put it in quotes. In fact, I always see these shows as what they were 10 years before now, when streaming wasn't a thing : a press conference show. But now everything need to be a hot show hosted on Twitch/Youtube, which is totally understandable and normal, surely. So yeah, the goal isn't exactly the same as before. I'm totally accepting situations like this on shows like TGA, which is a bit the goal here : an american "all-stars" show highlighting the "bests".
But the thing is conferences like Sony succeeded to keep the scene direction soft & smooth. It felt professional, by this I mean intended for the press. The fact to put someone else explicitly in front of every others developers (with, in addition, a funny video montage) in a conference based on developers content don't feel right.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a single mention of the hard work his team is doing back in Japan? Or trailers crediting the voice actor with higher billing than the celebrity that came in to do a single modelling session? Or doing what he did in earlier works and crediting more than just himself and his celebrity friends in the actual trailers instead of in tiny text in the blurb at the end of them?

Or maybe doing anything to show that his games are made by a big group of hard-working people instead of being created through the charity of a single god-like man?
He did mention his hard working team at Kojima Productions in the past. Do you want him to do it at every possible opportunity just to be wholy satisfied?

Man, gamers are cringy and removed from reality at times.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Was a oke show. For me the only things that stood out were Gears 5 and Death Stranding. The middle kinda was eh for me. Disintegration was a letdown. The rest was oke. But nothing that stood out for me.
Wouldnt mind to see it next year again tho. With alot of pubs not doing a show anymore. This is fine also.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Fable has history for Gamesom announcements. Legends and III were both announced at gamescom so I was wishful that there would be a CG trailer or something. However I knew it was unrealistic and wasn't really surprised there wasn't one. It'll be a E3 2020 announcement surely.

Plum

May 31, 2018
He did mention his hard working team at Kojima Productions in the past. Do you want him to do it at every possible opportunity just to be wholy satisfied?

Man, gamers are cringy and removed from reality at times.

When part of your PR campaign is "look at how much Kojima has sacrificed to come here!" then, yeah, mentioning the lower-ranked developers who aren't getting flown to Gamescom to be worshipped like gods might be a good idea. Same goes for crediting voice and mo-cap actors as the people doing the actual work behind characters such as Deadman, Die-Hardman and Game-Awardsman.

There's literally nothing humble about how Kojima has marketed Death Stranding. Every trailer either focuses on him or his celebrity friends and every event is wrapped in a pretty extreme level of hero worship. It's grown tiring at this point.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
pretty meh show tbh, had some good moments but overall pretty boring to watch. the much hyped kojima presentation at the end was pretty bad imo.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
The show was fine for being the first one at the end of a console generation. Again 2020 is stacked.

There was nothing for me there other than Borderlands. I actually lost interest after the insomniac announcement and only half watched it in case something interest was revealed.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When part of your PR campaign is "look at how much Kojima has sacrificed to come here!" then, yeah, mentioning the lower-ranked developers who aren't getting flown to Gamescom to be worshipped like gods might be a good idea. Same goes for crediting voice and mo-cap actors as the people doing the actual work behind characters such as Deadman, Die-Hardman and Game-Awardsman.

There's literally nothing humble about how Kojima has marketed Death Stranding. Every trailer either focuses on him or his celebrity friends and every event is wrapped in a pretty extreme level of hero worship. It's grown tiring at this point.
What you unrealistically demand does not happen for any entertainment product that is produced by more than a handful of people EVER.

Get off your high horse and get real.

Again: he did mention his hard working team in the past. Want to know names? Watch the fucking credits.

Plum

May 31, 2018
What you unrealistically demand does not happen for any entertainment product that is produced by more than a handful of people EVER.

Again, get off your high horse and get real.

Damn, so no creator has ever congratulated their team and no animated work has ever credited their voice actors properly?

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, so no creator has ever congratulated their team and no animated work has ever credited their voice actors properly?

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.
The game WILL have a credit sequence and Kojima Productions will probably throw a party after going gold. Are we done here or do you have more ridiculous demands?

Once more, Kojima HAS already mentioned his hard working team.

Also, him not leveraging his position to market the game and build hype would actually harm the development team.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you're saying that it's fine if the entire development team bar one person gets ignored as long as they have the thing literally every other piece of media has?
What the fuck do you want? Kojima turning the whole business of videogame development and entertainment production in general upside down just so you are satisfied with your ridiculous demands?

Name me ONE movie where the director went out before release and named and congratulated every member of the film team. GO or be quiet.

Plum

May 31, 2018
What the fuck do you want? Kojima turning the whole business of videogame upside and entertainment production in general upside down just so you are satisfied with your ridiculous demands?

Name me ONE movie where the director went out before release and named and congratulated every member of the film team. GO or be quiet.

Since you're arguing with something I literally never said I'm going to stop this here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fable has history for Gamesom announcements. Legends and III were both announced at gamescom so I was wishful that there would be a CG trailer or something. However I knew it was unrealistic and wasn't really surprised there wasn't one. It'll be a E3 2020 announcement surely.

A new mainline Fable would get me so excited! Microsoft just doesn't want to excite me anymore. :(

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
A new mainline Fable would get me so excited! Microsoft just doesn't want to excite me anymore. :(
The PG team that's rumored to be working on it was still only 60 people a couple months ago so they're seemingly still building the team. Might see a CG trailer at E3.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Kojima not mentioning who is playing Del Toro was not a cool move. I thought they weren't going to mention who is playing Geoff but he himself mentioned the actors name.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if IGN's livestream over the next few days will be showcasing the playable demos there? Avengers has a playable demo that will have official footage in a week, but I wanted to know if they might show it sooner on there.