• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Good call. Hope this gets companies getting some direct style videos together to present their games though.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has been at every Gamescom so far ... this is the better decision.

I'd imagine a lot of attendees and exhibitors would've dropped out for this year on their own ... otherwise this would've been more of a breeding chamber for the virus than other big events.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Major Event (or GroĂźveranstaltung in German) is an event with 5000+ attendees at the same time or with over 100.000 attendees expected, so german law

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there will still be a show by Keighley...without guests and without a live audience that is.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
I don't really see a source, but ah well, it is very likely indeed and I don't even care.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Source is the German government. It banned major events like Gamescom until August 31.
It's not. Whatever "GamesWirtschaft" is, it is not the Government. There is no official statement by the government regarding this and also other respectable German news outlets have not further detailed what exactly Merkel and the Ministers are planning since 2 pm CEST at least in regards to this topic.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I think GamesWirtschaft is pretty spot on regarding information about Gamescom ... so while not official, you can take this as granted until official channels release their statements.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
I,m german and i'm sitting in front of YouTube for the live pressconference from the chancelor about what germany ist going to do from now on.
I was totally expecting this! Everything else would have been crazy.
Also, no Bundesliga of course. (I Hope)

OP
OP
Turkoop

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
It's not. Whatever "GamesWirtschaft" is, it is not the Government. There is no official statement by the government regarding this and also other respectable German news outlets have not further detailed what exactly Merkel and the Ministers are planning since 2 pm CEST.
There is the confirmation
Großveranstaltungen sollen wegen der Corona-Pandemie bis zum 31. August grundsätzlich untersagt werden - auch Fußballspiele sind davon betroffen. Die Ministerpräsidenten der Länder und Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel (CDU) einigten sich nach Informationen der Deutschen Presse-Agentur am Mittwoch bei einer Schaltkonferenz auf dieses prinzipielle Verbot. Konkrete Regelungen, etwa zur Größe der Veranstaltungen, sollen durch die Länder getroffen werden.
www.ksta.de

Newsblog: WHO meldet 20 Millionen Corona-Tote weltweit

Alle Entwicklungen und die neusten Nachrichten rund um das Coronavirus in Deutschland, Europa und weltweit.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not. Whatever "GamesWirtschaft" is, it is not the Government. There is no official statement by the government regarding this and also other respectable German news outlets have not further detailed what exactly Merkel and the Ministers are planning since 2 pm CEST.

It is. Welt claims in this arcticle they have information on a ban until August 31st. Is that a respectable enough source for you?
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...effnungen-Kontaktsperre-was-Merkel-plant.html

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It's not. Whatever "GamesWirtschaft" is, it is not the Government. There is no official statement by the government regarding this and also other respectable German news outlets have not further detailed what exactly Merkel and the Ministers are planning since 2 pm CEST at least in regards to this topic.
Its backed up by the Chief Editor of the Bild paper, the most reliable source of news on the planet.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Good.

Hundreds of thousands in same place=hard no. No way this will be cleared up by August. Honestly it may never come back because the world wont return to normal possibly for decades.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Welt and Bild as most reliable sources ... gaaaaaave me a good laugh, but in this case, yeah you can take this for granted.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the over under on TGS happening this year? And if it does happen what do you all think the turnout will be? I could almost see a scenario where with E3, Gamescom and various other shows/conventions like PAX and such not happening TGS suddenly becomes the defacto convention of the year (at least for big AAA companies)?

Admittedly, I'm really only basing that on the fact that with it being a September convention it has the potential to be the first post quarantine convention (at least the first major one) and it'll be probably the last big convention prior to the holiday release season. At the very least I could see MS, Nintendo, and Sony having a potentially bigger presence there than they originally planned. I guess we'll just have to wait to see.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
So what's the over under on TGS happening this year? And if it does happen what do you all think the turnout will be? I could almost see a scenario where with E3, Gamescom and various other shows/conventions like PAX and such not happening TGS suddenly becomes the defacto convention of the year (at least for big AAA companies)?

Admittedly, I'm really only basing that on the fact that with it being a September convention it has the potential to be the first post quarantine convention (at least the first major one) and it'll be probably the last big convention prior to the holiday release season. At the very least I could see MS, Nintendo, and Sony having a potentially bigger presence there than they originally planned. I guess we'll just have to wait to see.

Depends. TGS falls in the timeframe of a potential second outbreak in fall. (If there even is a downturn in summer)

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Yup, this is why I posted here. It's very reliable.
Sorry, but what i said was a joke.
Bild is like the least reliable source i can imagine, besides maybe an AI that generates headlines, and at least the AI would get better over time.

Welt and Bild as most reliable sources ... gaaaaaave me a good laugh, but in this case, yeah you can take this for granted.
Not doubting the original tweet at all (GamesWirtschaft ist a very reliable place), but that sentence really hurts unless you forgot some sort of /s there.
I thought it was known even outside the places bild is aviable that its as far from reliable as earth from alpha centauri, but seems i was wrong.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Good, but is that pretty much it for gaming shows/cons this year? Blizzard said they have doubts about Blizzcon, Quakecon is cancelled, and I don't think we've heard anything about TGS?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Depends. TGS falls in the timeframe of a potential second outbreak in fall. (If there even is a downturn in summer)

True. This is all very dependent on things taking a turn for the better which isn't out of the question but is definitely very optimistic. I could even see TGS literally happening before the next big coronavirus outbreak. Basically I see September being a weird attempt to return things to the norm.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
True. This is all very dependent on things taking a turn for the better which isn't out of the question but is definitely very optimistic. I could even see TGS literally happening before the next big coronavirus outbreak. Basically I see September being a weird attempt to return things to the norm.
Japan is in a weird position, since it's only had it's first "proper" outbreak in the past few weeks, and there's already indications that suggest said outbreak may wind up being similar to what South Korea experienced (in terms of official figures for cases and deaths), rather than what happened in Europe. I'd still say Tokyo Games Show probably won't happen.

That said, I'd put a punt on the Taipei Games Show happening some point this year.