• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-12-do-gamers-really-care-about-cross-platform-play

Cross-platform play may not be as important to gamers as many in the industry believe, with the results from GameTrack's Q4 2017 survey showing a general indifference to the trend among consumers.

The value of PlayStation, Xbox and PC owners being able to play together has been a regular feature in the news over the last 12 months. Microsoft has made cross-platform play between console and PC a core feature of its first-party strategy, while Sony has been widely criticised for its apparent reluctance to allow cross-platform functionality between PlayStation and Xbox.

"The GameTrack survey shows that cross-platform play is not an important factor in how consumers think about purchasing consoles"

Please read the article before posting.

Oct 28, 2017
I liked playing with and against players from other platforms in Rocket League because chat was automatically disabled for cross platform play.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
It might not influence a purchase, but the biggest argument in favour of crossplay is having a bigger community, especially in smaller games.

Some games could have avoided dying if they had all three platforms united.

Deleted member 10314

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it creates a bigger pool of people to play against or with, I can't see the harm in it.
My only issue would be with playing against pc players on a console. Purely in case of cheats or hacks being used. Other than that, all for it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It's nice on Rocket League.

I wish Sega allowed cross platform play for Puyo Puyo Tetris at least with PS4.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Nope not really to be honest. Its never really bothered me that on PC I play with my PC friends and on PS4 I play with PS4 friends

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I, a gamer, like having a bigger player base. I did not read the article to know this so I went rogue and posted it anyway.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think just having a more accurate thread title would be more conducive to a good discussion rather than a red text warning.

If you're just going to quote the article title, why not make it obvious in the thread title, with use of quotation marks and an attribution.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
It might not influence a purchase, but the biggest argument in favour of crossplay is having a bigger community, especially in smaller games.

Some games could have avoided dying if they had all three platforms united.

Yes yes yes.

Even if players don't consciously care about cross play, I'm sure many would benefit from games retaining active communities thanks to CP.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think just having a more accurate thread title would be more conducive to a good discussion rather than a red text warning.

If you're just going to quote the article title, why not make it obvious in the thread title, with use of quotation marks and an attribution.
I just put the same title as the article. I don't see the problem but yes there should be Gbiz in it. I will contact a mod.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The general consumer doesn't even know about it, but what's truly ridiculous is how some are dismissive about it for no reason here while knowing what it is.

Even if players don't consciously care about cross play, I'm sure many would benefit from games retaining active communities thanks to CP.
This.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too bothered but I support anything that gives games a larger matchmaking selection in the long term.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I just put the same title as the article. I don't see the problem but yes there should be Gbiz in it. I will contact a mod.
The problem is that it looks like it's just your voice, not someone else's position that you want to discuss the merit of.

I'd also say that it's a headline designed to grab attention, not to generate worthwhile discussion.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of those if we get it great, but I don't care a great deal either way.

I especially don't care if it just increases the player-pool. I really like Fortnite's way though.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The problem is that it looks like it's just your voice, not someone else's position that you want to discuss the merit of.

I'd also say that it's a headline designed to grab attention, not to generate worthwhile discussion.
As i said i just took it from the article, i just forgot to put it that it was GameTrack survey. I contackted a mod and they changed it, If you are not happy with it, report the thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's desirable that gamers on different platforms can play together, but I personally don't give a f***.
Probably because I don't play many MP games to begin with and the ones I play are very active.

Faria

Jan 26, 2018
Cross-save is more important, I'd say.

Cross-play might help the player pool of smaller titles, but befriending people only to discover they're not playing on the same platform as me is disheartening.

Without cross-play, I know someone who I'm having a laugh with is in my ecosystem and that I can add them as a friend to play something else on the system.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think crossplay itself isn't really a big deal for most people. Having more people to match make with in an online game like fortnite means little when there are so many people playing on your platform.

Using the example of smaller or dead online games doesn't work, because people generally don't play those games for long or have long given up on them :- that's why they have troubles with their player pools in the first place. More people via cross-play won't reverse a game that is trending down in online population. At the very most it might delay the inevitable.

However, I do feel cross-platform co-op would be something that people would be far more open to. Because co-op is generally between actual friends, and not just internet randoms, people are more likely to see the advantages of not having to buy the same hardware.

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There have been well over 10 cross-play related posts to this discussion forum since inception. As a general observation, only around 15% of participants seem genuinely interested in the feature without wanting to get involved in a heated debate, while the remaining 75% are either just looking to score points or rationalise a position that is not going to change any time soon. We even had one thread where, for several pages, some members openly discussed how they could help publicize Sony's stance in the hope of selling more Xbox Ones. Farcical.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
About a third of those surveyed thought it was a positive according to the article, which is honestly higher than I would have expected given the usual apathy the average person displays to everything.

But yeah, most people not giving a shit shouldn't come as a surprise. It really doesn't effect anything for the vast majority of people. It's definitely better having it than not having it, but it's definitely not really going to be crossing many people's minds when making a purchasing decision.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't influence my purchase in one way or the other, but it is nice to have for every single multiplayer game. What is even the rationale to NOT have a bigger playerbase?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's important as a marketing bullet point for Microsoft, and that's where the whole discussion took off. Mostly about platform wars.

I don't doubt that the majority of folks out there genuinely don't care about the feature as long as there's a healthy online community.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I think most people realized that. It's always been a vocal minority.

Not saying that cross play shouldn't happen, but a lot of people still don't even know or care about why they should want it.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
After you use it or have kids who have a million friends at schools who play across any platform you do.

Minecraft, Fortnite and Rocket League are the start of the future.

It not being a factor in purchasing consoles I don't think is the same as not caring.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I think kids playing Minecraft is the key in this. Not having cross play means ps4 version I s literally inferior

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's important as a marketing bullet point for Microsoft, and that's where the whole discussion took off. Mostly about platform wars.

I don't doubt that the majority of folks out there genuinely don't care about the feature as long as there's a healthy online community.
I think that's a very diminishing way to look at it. I've never been an Xbox gamer and I'm fully behind Microsft, Nintendo and all other companies pushing for it. Fact is, places like ERA are just more into hardcore discussion like this. Crossplay has never been a big thing so it's really not something we come to expect from games. Do the people answering know what the future of gaming could be if the floodgates of crossplay opened? That it could mean you can load up your Ultimate Team in FIFA on your pal's console to face off, even if one has PS4 and one has XB1? That it could lead to a more integrated voice chat system without any barriers depending on hardware you use? That you can load up a world in Minecraft on iPad and then show it off on the TV on your PS4 (if they ever allow it)? atm crossplay is often summarized as "you can play with a friend that doesn't have the same console" but that's just the start really.

I'd agree crossplay isn't something that will hinder someone from buying a console, at least for now. Who knows in the future though. The more games that start taking advantage of it the more requested it'll be.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

it's not important to smaller developers making niche games with smaller player pools either.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, i don't care or want it.

If it does become more mainstream though i'd be okay with crossplay to everyone except PC, i don't want to deal with the cheaters, no matter how rare they are.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between indifference the corporate shilling we see too often.

I understand the former.

Last edited:

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
For fighting games, which historically have very small player numbers, it's absolutely a positive.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
That it may not be a determinant factor in purchasing a console (how could it, anyway, when it's still not very prevalent), doesn't really mean much, in my opinion. I may not ever buy a console based on whether or not it has cross-play, but it's certainly a nice-to-have and if ever given the option, I'd gladly jump at it.

So saying it's not very important to gamers seems at least slightly misleading.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I'm 41 and know two irl gamers, both also on PC so for me it's irrelevant, but for schoolies with loads of gamer mates I'm sure it's like the second coming!

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Cross platform is great if there is no drawback, especially important for games with smaller communities. That said, thjs doesn't really concern me as I play mostly single player games.