• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021

MiHoYo's RPG Genshin Impact has to date, generated more than $3 billion globally in consumer spending across both Google Play and the App Store.

According to a new report from Sensor Tower, the title has on average, made $1 billion every six months since launching on mobile devices since its 2020 release.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
damn

I wish my fave series could be so successful. Just imagine if BotW2 could adopt such a model. We'd get the true dream Zelda game.

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
Genshin Impact will probably be remembered as a hugely influential game, perhaps the most influential game of the last several years. I would imagine that there will be many more big budget mobile games that can also be played on console and PC.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much PSN would add to that. Maybe around a quarter?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm part of that revenue. I'm not a fan of GaaS however Genshin Impact is a huge exception. I love playing it every single day and I spend 100$ on it every month. Literally all I wanted from a game after the BotW masterpiece formula was introduced in 2017

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ
How does that stack against other big mobile games? Is it the biggest currently?

Wonder how well it's doing on console and relative to the big hitters there like Fortnite, Apex etc

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly a lot of competitions is coming but I don't them stealing Genshin's thunder even with all it's problem (stingy free gacha, even though there is way worse, Chinese censorship, etc...).
I'm even very interested by their next project which is a turn based JRPG.

The weird thing to me is Mihoyo, by being the first open world gacha struck absolute gold, why them ? Why not Sony or Tencent ?

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn

I wish my fave series could be so successful. Just imagine if BotW2 could adopt such a model. We'd get the true dream Zelda game.
Why would you want Gacha and F2P mechanics in a Zelda?
Why?

Also just play this game. It's almost BotW with Gacha. Almost. It doesn't have the systemic systems like weather and temperature and such but it's a decent approximation.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ
How does that stack against other big mobile games? Is it the biggest currently?

Wonder how well it's doing on console and relative to the big hitters there like Fortnite, Apex etc
Its usually around 3rd-5th Globally I think. Its also usually 2nd or 3rd F2P game on PSN.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
That's wild, plus whatever they pulled in on PC and PSN assuming they're not part of this report.

Genshin Impact will probably be remembered as a hugely influential game, perhaps the most influential game of the last several years. I would imagine that there will be many more big budget mobile games that can also be played on console and PC.

1. Sony buys Square-Enix
2. They make a big budget Genshin Impact style FF gacha game as part of their GaaS push
3. ???
4. Profit

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely surprising it's making tons. Didn't expect this much perhaps. Fun game but once you're in deep, they really start squeezing you for money. And by then they'll have softened you up enough. Plus, the power of thirst. Really clever stuff.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Honestly a lot of competitions is coming but I don't them stealing Genshin's thunder even with all it's problem (stingy free gacha, even though there is way worse, Chinese censorship, etc...).
I'm even very interested by their next project which is a turn based JRPG.

The weird thing to me is Mihoyo, by being the first open world gacha struck absolute gold, why them ? Why not Sony or Tencent ?

Because Mihoyo played their cards right and some luck (as with all breakouts).

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I've been playing for a few months now, and i think I only spent like $10 so far. It's amazing how much game there is. It also tries to flesh out a lot of the characters with the side stories.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
Never forget lol.

Tbh I don't think most people expected Genshin to become this insanely huge hit.

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
That's wild, plus whatever they pulled in on PC and PSN assuming they're not part of this report.

1. Sony buys Square-Enix
2. They make a big budget Genshin Impact style FF gacha game as part of their GaaS push
3. ???
4. Profit
Square-Enix already takes mobile gaming pretty seriously, so they will almost certainly try to make a bigger mobile using FF characters. Sony is also hungry for Gaas games and looking to expand into mobile, so it would all add up.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people spend money in Genshin. Its gacha rates are terrible, the gameplay benefits barely exist, there's no competitive modes, and there's no meaningful need to grind anything. I guess people are just thirsty for Zhongli and friends

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
It has been by far the best GaaS Ive played in terms of pumping out content. Every time I return to it there's weeks of stuff to do.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017

This is probably my favorite aspect.

1. Sony buys Square-Enix
3. ???
4. Profit

Been thinking about this for the past month but replace FF with DQ.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they will have to deal with more competition in the future so maybe they will feel more compelled to "fight" for their playerbase rather than take them for granted.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people spend money in Genshin. Its gacha rates are terrible, the gameplay benefits barely exist, there's no competitive modes, and there's no meaningful need to grind anything. I guess people are just thirsty for Zhongli and friends
Sometimes people just want to chill in a BotW style word with their favorite characters, with RPG mechanics, and that's okay. I like seeing numbers go brrrt and I love the Genshin characters design (with some exceptions), combining with BotW being my favorite game of all time, this game has been everything I've ever wanted (except the gacha, but I've gotten past that barrier I guess)

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if people who say Genshin is stingy have played other Gacha games. I feel like Genshin is actually pretty good if you are an F2P player. I haven't spent a dime on this game thus far and I have 2 OP teams (with many other characters that I haven't really build that much), even though I had dropped the game for almost a year.

Anyway, it's not difficult to see why Genshin has been so successful. It's really high quality and it gets regular updates ranging from small events that have you fight some enemies to get some gems, to huge festival events with many voiced quests, CG cutscenes and unique character interactions. And outside of the gacha system for getting new characters/weapons, everything else in the game is free and accessible to everyone. And even for the gacha system you can earn enough gems to pull for new characters without too much difficulty if you play the game over time.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

1. Sony buys Square-Enix
3. ???
4. Profit
If they haven't used Aniplex to light a fire under Type Moon to make a Genshin knockoff for FGO yet I don't see that happening. FGO made roughly the same amount of revenue with probably 1/10th the budget though. They have to share that money with Type Moon so maybe that's why they don't want to invest too much. Genshin cost like what, $200m just to launch and its been steadily getting big new regions.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
TBH, I know how it started way back, but it's honestly nothing like Zelda, not even BOTW. It's open world and you can climb and glide places. Okay. But that's about where it ends. there are systems each has that the other does not. The narrative is a bit more guided and straightforward than BOTW and it's always being updated. BOTW you can build stuff to do other things. Weather/environmental effects matter differently in each game.

Or is this still people holding onto that initial reveal and calling it a day?

This is how we get playable Zelda 🥹
Or play Hyrule Warriors?

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Even with the issues it has (inconsistent writing quality and character development especially for the female characters, the game being designed to delay progression as much as possible, stingy gacha and stingy rewards), Genshin has a ton of merits and strengths that still help it rank above a lot of games.

The revenue is boosted by the lack of primos and the need to have constellations to get the most of your characters, but I think that the actual quality aspects of the game (event variety, huge world, fun exploration and puzzles, battle mechanics) incentivize people to spend just as much as the gacha.

I've spent on gacha games (I'm a low spender and usually only roll for characters I like so I can hold off often) but I feel that Genshin is the only game that shows where my money is going as I see the game develop.

This game is going to be nightmare if there ever is a true competitive mode, might be even worse than Granblue "Guild Wars and Powercreep" Fantasy.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
The fear of certain character not getting rerun for long time, like Kazuha, or new characters that power creep everything in the game, or they really like the model of the character.
also, some people don't have self control, and they really wanted a certain weapon for looks or because it's too good, so they spend about $200 at least only for the weapon banner.

Last edited:

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
damn

As in like, they make a money grubbing Hácha waifu Zelda game to earn revenue in order to fund a true dream Zelda?

I mean, the money a game makes doesn't retroactively improve the game that was released...

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm pretty sure first reply was shitposting.

When Genshin first came out there were peeps on here asking when it's formula was going to be applied to other open world games and beckoning for it to happen if it would mean bigger budget open worlds.

At least I hope he was shitposting.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
A good game trapped in a horrible structure. And I like gacha. It just does it poorly, for me.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I love the game so that's dope to me.

I just wish I had better luck on my pulls. Most people in the OTs always have dope luck while mine is trash lol.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I played this when it came out and then quit. went back to it last year for bit during the summer before I got back into XIV then I picked it back up in November only to drop for XIV again, now I have an urge to play once more 🙃

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I really wish we could get a Genshin-like Pokémon game. Make it a mix between Legends: Arceus and Genshin's open-endedness.

Maybe with a GAAS focus the latter areas wouldn't be completely worthless like the snow one in Arceus.