• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I need at the very least SNES games and I sub. Nes games just don't cut it today.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
I could see them tying SNES games to the year subscription to encourage people to sign up for a year instead. But I really don't think it'd be enough for most people still.

I think for me personally, to really justify the price even though it's already low, would be something like a Xenoblade MMO where it's subscription fee was simply Nintendo Online and nothing extra. I'm more of an RPG player, I don't really like playing competitively, so something like an MMO where I can just relax and play with (And not against) family members/friends is what would push me to get it, I think.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should be surprised that many people actually signes up more than of the fact that they are aiming for short subscription.

in 2019 they offer is a bit of the lower side,even at the reduced price.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I boguht a year on CDKeys and I have no intention of resubbing.

Only did it for MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Smash.

The service is pretty shit.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unlike PS Plus and Live Gold, Nintendo has somewhat reasonably priced the shorter subscription options. They'll just have to make one month cost $6, 3 months for $10 and the annual stay at $20. Then everyone is going to have to go for the annual one to not get ripped off. It's how Plus and Gold already work.

Maybe they should opt to improve their infrastructure and service instead.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Nintendo has shitty online that is free.

Then Nintendo has (arguably even worse than before in some ways) shitty online that now costs money lol and people aren't as willing to commit to year long subs.

*shocked Pikachu*

I subscribe because the family thing was cheap as, I wanted cloud saves and I love me retro games... but even that is starting to piss me off with their now down to 2 games a month BS while Japan gets (a still pretty pitiful) 3. They don't even care! No replacement game, nothing, they just pretend like we don't have the Internet and can't see what is going on in the rest of the world.

They couldn't even manage half a f'n year of JUST NES GAMES x3 a month before downgrading it. >_> Pathetic. Put some effort into this Gameflix VC thing and make Animal Crossing have must play online features you could have a hit! Really not hard.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They could let it go and focus on creating a gamepass system. Play all nintendo library like gamepass for 15 bucks a month eith games changing in every 3 months.

Gamepass is a revelation. Just got a xbox x (now i have all the 3 console for the 1st time in 34 years).

Microsoft is so ahead of sony and Nintendo. Miles away.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should opt to improve their infrastructure and service instead.
This is how people sign up for these console "services": They buy a game. Then they press the "multiplayer" button on the game's menu. Then the console says "stop right there, you need (Switch Online / PS Plus / Live Gold) to do that". Then they either pay the price or don't play.

The point of this article is that people are signing up at the 1 and 3 month tiers at a high rate. The monthly version of Switch online is 4 dollars per month. That's a super low price, and if someone wants to play online and gets stopped by the "sign up for online" nag screen, that's an option that they are likely to pick. This is not even bad for Nintendo because they'll make more money out of 48 bucks (12 x 4) than 20 bucks.

"Infrastructure and Service" never comes into play.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is how people sign up for these console "services": They buy a game. Then they press the "multiplayer" button on the game's menu. Then the console says "stop right there, you need (Switch Online / PS Plus / Live Gold) to do that". Then they either pay the price or don't play.

The point of this article is that people are signing up at the 1 and 3 month tiers at a high rate. The monthly version of Switch online is 4 dollars per month. That's a super low price, and if someone wants to play online and gets stopped by the "sign up for online" nag screen, that's an option that they are likely to pick. This is not even bad for Nintendo because they'll make more money out of 48 bucks (12 x 4) than 20 bucks.

"Infrastructure and Service" never comes into play.

Zeitgeist does come into play. And you don't have to be a gamer to realize the multiplayer functionality is anaemic.

Nintendo Online has become a joke, and people are only laughing because it is so cheap.

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got a feeling the short term subs are mostly kids getting the cheapest Nintendo eShop cards from stores to play Smash online, as well as keep playing Mario Kart online and whatnot.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Unlike PS Plus and Live Gold, Nintendo has somewhat reasonably priced the shorter subscription options. They'll just have to make one month cost $6, 3 months for $10 and the annual stay at $20. Then everyone is going to have to go for the annual one to not get ripped off. It's how Plus and Gold already work.

Yes their online is garbage. Did you see what happened during the latest smash tournament?

Like if it's that bad how the hell are you making people pay for it?

Sony at least started it out as a game service, that to play online was free for most of not all last gen.

Then as it got better and they invested had people pay for it with keeping with games coming every month, on top of discounts.

Nintendo has a long way to go for online being competent and stable.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Every time a Switch Online topic brought up, I always scratch my head.

Instead of demanding for better online experience, why do people ask for more classic games? It's called Switch Online, not Nintendo Classic subscription service.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes their online is garbage. Did you see what happened during the latest smash tournament?

Like if it's that bad how the hell are you making people pay for it?

Sony at least started it out as a game service, that to play online was free for most of not all last gen.

Then as it got better and they invested had people pay for it with keeping with games coming every month, on top of discounts.

Nintendo has a long way to go for online being competent and stable.
Smash servers are not the same thing as Switch Online. You are not paying to play Smash online (even if that is your reason for paying), you are paying to allow Switch games to connect online.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Instead of demanding for better online experience, why do people ask for more classic games? It's called Switch Online, not Nintendo Classic subscription service.

Cause people, me included, are thirsty for SNES, GBA rtc. games on Switch.

Though Nintendo should have invested in its infrastructure and online services instead yeah.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Heard nothing great with regards to Smash Bros. working online, which sucks because I barely have anyone to play with it locally, but absolutely would have plenty to play with online. Also their chat system is crap...so I'm hardly surprised.

It's weird how a console that marketed itself constantly playing and socializing with other people, couldn't translate that into an online service that is particularly social.

Yup. Like it's a bit confusing at this point:

General QOL of the actual netcode of the games themselves, already feeling a generation or two behind their competitors, hasn't improved even on Nintendo's own first party online efforts

The social aspects are completely non-existent outside of a notification telling you a friend is also on their Switch.

And their biggest selling point; their huge library of games, are being handed out like rare rations.

I got the 20 dollar service because of Smash (and the fact I felt like paying for a year was a 'deal') but I feel like I am part of the problem because I did so, a mistake I won't be repeating again.

The ONLY thing I like about the service is that they seem to not be gouging you when it comes to allowing F2P to not require a subscription like Sony/MS

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

Same here. Its kind of strange. I mean, hell I figured most people would flip their shit over not having party chat. The retro games are cool and they shouldn't be drip fed but... wouldn't yall want basic functionality other consoles have had for a damn decade first and foremost or nah using your phone and friend codes in 2019 is just fine?

Nintendo needs to pull their heads out of their asses, have their online developers go buy a fucking ps4 or xbox and see how far things have come in the past 15 years with online gaming then try to imitate that.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
People acting like SNES titles are sufficient...jesus. Nintendo really conditions people to accept the worst.

I think the NES titles are sufficient. For $20 a year that's a pretty good price for an expanding library of NES titles. Beats paying $5 per individual title and you can experiment under this system. Play games you would never have bought otherwise. Who knows, maybe you'll find a new favourite.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018

So true, where is the better online experience? I don't feel any difference except for a paywall and nes games that I don't want.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Wii U felt like it was more rich on features than Switch's paid service thanks to Miiverse and having more classic games to choose from, despite them being sold individually. On top of that, online play is still missing from some first party multiplayer games and I personally think that is inexcusable if they expect me to pay for the service.

What I want:

- An actual communication system. Let us send messages to each other and give us standard voice chat outside of a dumb app.

- Stop with the ridiculously slow release of classic games. Every month, there should be a sizable update to the catalog. Multiple games from NES, SNES, N64, Game Boy, GBA and original DS. I'm not even asking for GameCube and Wii because I realize those will often be better with full remasters.

- Allow a matchmaking option for the classic games. It's silly to have such a cool feature be friends-only.

- If a first party game has multiplayer, it should have an online mode. More effort needs to be put into this. Super Mario Party's online mode is a half-measure when there should absolutely be an online board game mode by this point. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has 4-player co-op yet no online play at all. It would be a blast to play through again with 4-player online co-op. If I am paying for your online service, then the multiplayer games you develop should have online play. Simple as that.

- Bring back Miiverse. It was unique, fun and helped Nintendo stand apart from the other online services despite theirs being free at the time.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised tbh that with how low cost the yearly subscription cost is that people would still opt to go with a monthly sub. I suppose I'm just not thinking hard enough into the mindset of those people. I guess the thinking would be that these people only use the online portion of the console when major games are released, and they figure that they'll be satisfied enough at the end of that month they won't have a need for the service. So from that assumption you could infer that people are
  1. most likely utilizing the Switch as a secondary device
  2. only see the online service as detrimental to major releases
  3. these major releases are only worth a month's time of play
  4. not noticing any value to being subscribed in the long term
  5. potentially dissatisfied during their month sub
It doesn't really help that Nintendo priced the sub pricing tiers so cheaply either, at 4 dollars per year (lower than I originally thought when starting to think about this) thats basically a trial price at that point.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Huh that's weird, I remember saying "there's nothing here" when they announced the service and I'm just a guy on a forum. I wonder why no one at Nintendo made that observation

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah this is definitely where I land on this too. Make your service better and people will buy into it for longer.

What service? Lol, it's just cloud saves and a few nes games that no one wants. The rest of it is just what we had before they "launched" and it was for free. They should finally "launch" their online service, to get an improved online experience and then, but ONLY then, when this is accomplished, think about goodies and freebies like retro games and additional eshop discounts for subscribers.

Apr 21, 2018
The fact that voice chat, friends list, party systems, joining and inviting friends wasn't a part of the Switch from Day 1, let alone the WiiU.... sorry I just have no faith.

We are entering the Switch's 3rd year and Nintendo's 10th+ year in the online space. There is just no excuse anymore. How many years of "upgrading" until we reach the featureset of 2004's Xbox live?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bring online functionality up to modern standards and better utilize the huge backlog of classics from their other consoles. At this rate, it'll be 100 years until they've got a sizable library of classic games that hit all the major notes.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
If they're concerned about retaining short term subscribers now, I'm eager to see their reaction when NSO hits its first birthday and at least a million people never come back.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

All I've wanted since the Switch released was a virtual console. Since NSO is the only way we'll get these games that's where the value of the service lies for a lot of people. The price is right currently but the content is beyond lacking. That's why I haven't subscribed yet and it will likely be a while before I do unless Nintendo steps it up big time.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care for additional online functionalities but the moment they get the SNES and N64 games on the service and the i'm willing to subscribe.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The only incentives to get the one year subscription instead of a monthly sub the month you want to play something are the alternative of getting it extremely cheap with the family plan or wanting the cloud saves.
If it weren't for the second one I wouldn't have subbed, but I'm not losing my save files.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
NSO online subscribers to now get an additional 1% gold points with purchase of a game*

*bonus points only apply to digital purchases

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
They need to add the basics first like a messaging and game invites system. And honestly, just ditch this stupid ass phone shit and put in game mic support across every game along with parties. I don't really care about NES or SNES games. The service is cheap, just let me easily organize games and stuff with my friends.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
If they really can't or are unwilling to add any value to their online service, which means to me infrastructure(dedicated servers), voice party chat, friend invitations, and basically everything that is missing from MS and Sony, and just want to focus on nes games(or other retro games) and cloud saves, then they should simply call it "NintendoFlix" or "Nintendo Retro Games Download Service" and call it a day.

No confusion anymore and no one is going to complain about that the "Online service" proportion is not included because the service clearly isn't intended to do so.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Give me more than just NES or even SNES games that I've played a hundred times and I'll buy in.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of these people.

I subscribed to play smash online and I don't feel I will use any of the services beyond that so I only Subscribed for 3 months.

Well I'm enjoying smash online and have been playing fairly regularly, I doubt I'll subscribe beyond that until the next big online title comes out which based on what their current lineup looks like could. Be a while.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch them remove the cheap option thus forcing folks to fork out for the ÂŁ20 pricing.

Honestly I annoyed that the only way I will be able to play Donkey Kong Country on the Switch is having to pay for a subscription service rather than, oh I dunno being given the option to buy it from the E-shop. Plus the fact that there's no option for off-line back up save.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
"Boost the appeal" is going to mean "give some cheap shit away" instead of "improve the actual service".

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'm a simple man with simple desires. I don't want the moon on a stick. Its such a step back as a service from even the Wii U... I just want them to make it better. Some suggestions:
  • Bring back Miiverse / Communities, with touch screen drawings and Direct Messaging
  • Voice Chat - if it can't be done globally in hardware for resource reasons, at least make the terrible app better and make more things use it. The way it works with MK8 is fine for what it is, but why not upgrade it to do some new stuff... add Party Support. To games and the app. Being able to communicate and message persistently outside of game-specific rooms is what makes Discord so much better for a lot of hardcore games. Add text messaging and communities to the app too. Or release separate apps for those (as Sony have for PlayStation)
  • Expand beyond NES games for Nintendo Switch Online - and beyond SNES / N64 if possible too
  • Make software to sell this thing! Might I suggest:
    • Pilotwings: Mii Massacre Wuhu Island Battle Royale, with super scopes, mario power ups, arm cannons, airplanes and rocket packs
    • F-Zero, Waverace, Starfox GP or Diddy Kong Racing
    • ExiteBike/Truck/Bot successor
    • Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest (from Nintendoland)
    • Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures successor
    • Mario Chase minigame-like game (from Nintendoland)
    • Super Mario Strikers successor
    • GoldenEye or money-hat something like Timesplitters
    • Wii Sports successor
    • Competitive Wii Fit successor, Fitbit like communities and smartphone sync

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad service. At least my sixty bucks (well, I usually just buy on sale for $40-$50 USD) that I spend on PS4 gets me cloud service + two games monthly + deep sale discounts.

Three NES games a month + cloud saves is basically trash. Not worth twenty bucks, as cheap as that is. I'd rather spend the $20 on my vacation fund or cheap games in PSN sales including the PS+ discount or what have you. Not renewing in September at this point.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of crazy it's an inferior product to both Wii and Wii U's online offering, despite now costing money...

Oct 27, 2017
I regret purchasing a year. I won't renew it. NES online is trash to, I have two switches on LAN and it would DC....
I don't know why people always mention this. You're directly connecting to another device when playing a P2P online game. If you have a great connection and theirs sucks, it doesn't matter if you're on LAN or have the fastest internet and a "better" online service wouldn't change anything