• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...nline-after-surge-in-short-subscription-plans
Nintendo Switch Online now has 8 million subscribers, but a growing number of them are opting for shorter subscription plans.

In a Q&A session with investors, Nintendo's management was asked about the popularity of Nintendo Switch Online in the wake of Super Smash Bros Ultimate -- which is the fastest selling console game in the company's history.
Nintendo declined to offer details on the proportion of users in each subscription plan, but Shuntaro Furukawa, the company's president, said "a growing percentage is now opting for shorter plans like the one-month membership."

"It is critical that these members want to continue using the service for a long time rather than letting it expire, and for that we need to build relationships with consumers and enrich the content" he said.

"With this in mind, we are currently planning ways to boost the appeal of the service on a yearly basis... It is very important to our future business and we are giving it our all."
Didn't see a thread for this but close if old.

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike PS Plus and Live Gold, Nintendo has somewhat reasonably priced the shorter subscription options. They'll just have to make one month cost $6, 3 months for $10 and the annual stay at $20. Then everyone is going to have to go for the annual one to not get ripped off. It's how Plus and Gold already work.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike PS Plus and Live Gold, Nintendo has somewhat reasonably priced the shorter subscription options. They'll just have to make one month cost $6, 3 months for $10 and the annual stay at $20. Then everyone is going to have to go for the annual one to not get ripped off. It's how Plus and Gold already work.

I'd rather they address the subscriptions issue by improving their abysmal online rather than adjusting the prices.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
"Boost the appeal on a yearly basis" makes it sound like yearly subscribers would get something that monthly subscribers don't.

So I guess they're gonna get 1 extra NES game! Wooooooo!

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wish I went with the 3-month plan because I regret getting the 1 year deal. It's not a good service atm

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad people are voting with their wallets, even if cheap, the services proposed by Nintendo are from another age.

Oct 27, 2017
6dc4c800b3b3ebd7270e44ab06914719531bc112_hq.gif

2 big hints, Ninty :

1. Add decent in game chat.
2. Stop fucking with the NES app and open the floodgates.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Currently on a family plan with 7(?) other of my friends. They use it only for smash ultimate. I came to less than $5 a person per year.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
"Boost the appeal on a yearly basis" makes it sound like yearly subscribers would get something that monthly subscribers don't.

So I guess they're gonna get 1 extra NES game! Wooooooo!

Yeah I'm not confident that Nintendo are able to realize a competent offering in the current framework. They need to go back to the drawing board and reinvent the service if they want it to grow beyond a core base.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Bring on them SNES games. I wanna play LttP on my Switch.
Dedicated servers would also be nice, because honestly wtf am I even paying for currently...

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It's cheaper because it;'s shit, let's not get it twisted. PSn and Live are magnitudes better. They should be aiming to improve it rather then adjust prices.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Currently on a family plan with 7(?) other of my friends. They use it only for smash ultimate. I came to less than $5 a person per year.
Same here. I really hope they dont change the family plan because with their shitty online service is the only price were i feel im not totally being ripped off, i used exactly the same way that when the exact same service was free so 5 is not that steep of a price to pay a year.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Pretty obvious. When companies are launching new products/services they make adjustments according to how they perform in the market.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Or you know they could actually address why most people subscribing don't want a yearly subscription

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason why I bought the one year plan is because of cloud saves. If Nintendo was competent and had other ways to backup your saves where you don't need an online subscription, I wouldn't have signed up in the first place because of how bad their online service is.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm shocked that 8 million people are actually paying for such a bad service. Even Wii U did online better, and that was free.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's super obvious they've been alluding to SNES games for awhile but that's not going to be enough. Like what else can they do?

Jan 9, 2018
It's super obvious they've been alluding to SNES games for awhile but that's not going to be enough. Like what else can they do?
GB and GBA games (that is, if the N64 Classic is actually happening anytime soon).

I mean, hopefully they'll actually make the online part of the online service, but I don't expect that. At this point, I just hope I'll get to play old games that I actually want to play, like Pokemon lol. Knowing Nintendo and considering their current NES drip-feed, I'd be better off expecting that for the Switch 2 smh.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd subscribe if they bring back Miiverse.
It doesn't even need to be Miiverse. Is there a way they can filter Twitter on a Switch so that it only shows posts and conversations from Nintendo Switch?

My assumption is that Nintendo won't do anything like Miiverse/Swapnote again because they don't want their system to be used to expose kids to certain things, which I realize is ironic as I type this because YouTube is now on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that 8 million people are actually paying for such a bad service. Even Wii U did online better, and that was free.
Nobody cares how "good" or "bad" the "service" is. If you want to play online, you must pay. People are not paying for PS+ or Live Gold because of how great the "service" is (very few had Plus on PS3). When you press the Multiplayer button on a game's main menu, the quality of the "service" does not matter. You're told to pay. And many people will.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprise surprise, the way to get a message across isn't by not using your wallet, but by using it efficiently.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even need to be Miiverse. Is there a way they can filter Twitter on a Switch so that it only shows posts and conversations from Nintendo Switch?

My assumption is that Nintendo won't do anything like Miiverse/Swapnote again because they don't want their system to be used to expose kids to certain things, which I realize is ironic as I type this because YouTube is now on Switch.

Would be such a good deal. Pay money to use twitter on Switch while it's free on everything else including your phone. The Stockholm syndrome was always strong with Nintendo.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be such a good deal. Pay money to use twitter on Switch while it's free on everything else including your phone. The Stockholm syndrome was always strong with Nintendo.
Oh I wasn't really focusing on the pay money part, but on the idea that Switch needs a way to let gamers communicate with each other. That communication should 100% be free.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Provided access to a vault of NES, SNES, N64 and GC games that subscribers can play as much as they want of.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got 1 month sub during smash month then never resub again. It doesn't help that smash has shit online and the 'free' games are not even worth the hassle to download. I wish they release games from gamecube library or at least snes

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Heard nothing great with regards to Smash Bros. working online, which sucks because I barely have anyone to play with it locally, but absolutely would have plenty to play with online. Also their chat system is crap...so I'm hardly surprised.

It's weird how a console that marketed itself constantly playing and socializing with other people, couldn't translate that into an online service that is particularly social.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't the influx of short term subscriptions be due to the millions who got online just to play smash the next few months? I don't think it would be wise of them the offer different features at the different subscription levels.