• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
So many excuses for a game that just wasn't very good.

How is this more of a console game? And why did he release it exclusively on a small PC store if that was the case?

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Game Pass/EA Premier as well as Humble Bundle has completely stopped me buying these mid tier games unless is something I want to support.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope that EGS exclusive was worth it.

Though looking at a stream I saw, it was a pretty rough game.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Acknowledging the reality of the production of this game isn't propping it up.
Bullshit. By trying to make the point that Kojima had it easy compared to Patrice, that's exactly what you're doing. Never mind that Patrice himself would've had it easy compared to plenty of other developers who don't have his name recognition or the backing of a Take 2 label. Every situation is different and while Kojima obviously had some advantages (and Patrice his own advantages), that doesn't make it easy to found new studios or develop new AAA games. There was no need whatsoever to even bring up Kojima.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe Epic should put some of Tencent money in marketing the exclusives they buy, it looks like every game on EGS releases with zero advertising and even people that already know about the game don't realize it's out.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a couple people play this game and just not get it. Like literally being unable to progress.

This really hurt the game. Better UI would've helped a lot. Like, great job on shipping, but it made the game bomb!?

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you see Kojima referred to in such a way that it seems like he was a humble dev who had to start from scratch again just remember that this person and game exists and is much more representative of what that situation looks like compared to the guy who could casually visit AAA studios who all presented him a game engine to use for his next multi million dollar project. :/
Weird point to make when Désilets left Ubisoft and directly was allowed to build his team at THQ.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And then that fell through, and then he didn't get that same opportunity.
But that's irrelevant to your initial point. He basically went to the same process Kojima did, the only difference was that to circumstances unrelated to his project, that studio ended right back at Ubisoft.

That's why he decided to go full indie. Not through lack of possibilities. The fact that he wants to keep his IP unlike Kojima probably played a part as well.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But that's irrelevant to your initial point. He basically went to the same process Kojima did, the only difference was that to circumstances unrelated to his project, that studio ended right back at Ubisoft.

That's why he decided to go full indie. Not through lack of possibilities. The fact that he wants to keep his IP unlike Kojima probably played a part as well.
it wasn't the same experience and no one was propping him up as a borderline indie dev that didn't have access to huge amounts of resources.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think was a level headed response. He knows that while it's hard to make games, living from news from said games can be even worse, and that's why things like that happen. As he said, he didn't made the very best game possible, and didn't recieve the very best journalist checking his game either. In the end, he made enough to him and his studio to survive, what actually matter the most.

It called the adult world, welcome to it, everyone.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
"We shipped the game and we left 72 pop-up tutorial messages on the floor," he said. "We couldn't do it. They are coming now for the console version -- they will be in, it will be easier -- but we didn't have time. You need to eventually say, at the end of the day, that you have to ship. And that's more important than anything else."

Eh... Insert that Miyamoto quote?

I mean, sure, you have to make compromises at some point. I'm not sure cutting the tutorials was a good one to make, though.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Maybe the critics expected it to be good. It's an interesting concept but very badly executed. One of the most obtuse games I've ever played.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
M. Désilets, vous avez "hypé" le jeu à la hauteur de Peter Molyneux, c'est évident que les gens allaient être déçu. Maintenant, vous pouvez essayer de tourner ça en No Man Sky #2, la balle est dans votre camp. Bonne chance.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I was interested in the game until I found out it was from the developer of Assassin's Creed. That killed all of my hype for the game.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I was interested in the game until I found out it was from the developer of Assassin's Creed. That killed all of my hype for the game.
Funny thing about that is the guy got burned by Ubisoft as he didn't want it to be an annualized videogame series. He got that Amsterdam thing then killed when Ubisoft bought him out again

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really intriguing game that I haven't got around to playing yet. I'm happy they broke even. Wonder if they could get it on game pass too.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a customer review system could've smoothed over some of the critical reception, or perhaps even a dedicated and easily accessible forum where players can ask questions and share tips, or hmm — hear me out — user guides integrated into the game's ecosystem to make up for poor in-game tutorials.

Ah, what am I saying. Crazy talk.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, the money is made. Plus, I know it's more a console game than a PC game."

Beautiful. Should be the go-to answer by developers every time they put their game on Epic Games Store. It's poetic.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I understand his frustration, but just casting about and being nebulous about which reviewers supposedly invented things about his game just serves to sew distrust of reviewers period, which is a bad look.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game but from what I saw of footage/reviews around the time it seemed like a fairly frustrating survival game which does a poor job of signposting what to do next. Some of the ideas looked good, but things like permadeath meaning you had to relearn everything again just seemed like awful timewasting ideas. I would be interested to know what proof Patrice has that some reviewers didn't even play the game.

Wait wait.

That shows riding horses...or something like a horse or killing it while looking like you are riding it.

Not the same. The ape is leaping in its back while stabbing it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"When you're making a very serious ethical charge, you shouldn't be exaggerating for effect", is pretty rich coming from Sterling because that's what he's building his career on most of the time.
Took the words out of my mouth. Especially when the exaggeration he's talking about was the "they have to review 15 games a week" comment which is kind of negligible
compared to the actual accusation of the reviewer making up a feature

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they set themselves up with the marketing for this game. When you tout "from the director of Assassin's Creed", you set expectations. They always made it sound like a much bigger game than what it was.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I feel like they set themselves up with the marketing for this game. When you tout "from the director of Assassin's Creed", you set expectations. They always made it sound like a much bigger game than what it was.

Know your niche. Touting Assassins Creed sets unhealthy expectations and unhappy customers who will be "disappointed" that it has nothing in common with Ass cred, except for climbing.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
How in the hell is Ancestors more of a console game exactly? Its a survival game, which is a genre dominated on the PC, made with some of the most ambiguous mechanics with zero handholding to even nudge the player in the right direction. And this is an example of a console game?

What a weak ass excuse for the game selling badly on PC.