• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Ever wanted Doom without the fast gameplay? Here you go.

VR will always be a gimmick unless they sort out the motion sickness issues, which may be impossible.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't even go to the effort to make the gun models not clip when you use them?

Edit: This entire thing looks fucking awful what the shit

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017
UuX0vwg.jpg

what were they thinking

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
It looks great, but why wouldn't they allow free movement?
I know that it can cause motion sickness to some people but at least allow it for the rest of us

Deleted member 1378

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry for Twitter embed but until we have mp4 or webm embed support this is all I got

I can't believe this is $30

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
It looks great, but why wouldn't they allow free movement?
I know that it can cause motion sickness to some people but at least allow it for the rest of us

Same, i don't get motion sickness so i want to go full out. I was also misinformed about Skyrim, but they have a free movement option with the move controllers or DS4. So i am hoping that Doom also has free movement.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
The teleporting does... not seem to look good at all. Either that or whoever is playing has no idea what they're doing.

Much more a fan of VR games that don't teleport you, this doesn't seem to work well at all with how Doom plays.

Ukyo Of Atmos

Oct 27, 2017
The movement looks like your stuttering around the map, don't like at all.

Free movement should be a option for those who want it.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
take note to those not into it....seeing on a flat screen is not equivilant to seeing it in VR.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I've said this already but VR is a fad that will eventually end up like 3D, I wouldn't recommend wasting money on this.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried (yet) since VR games don't demo that well at all. It's different when you're inside it and hopefully they allow free movement.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
With Switch Doom my complaint was the game isn't going to feel like Doom at 30fps.

This takes things to an even lower level. You can't even move about?? Stand still in one spot firing at enemies, and then teleport around to navigate the environment and avoid incoming fire? Are you kidding me? I'm reminded why I still haven't purchased VR. How does one feel like they're existing in a game world when they have to aim a reticule to decide where to move to?

I hope they don't intend on charging full price for this. Looking forward to the Apple Watch port next.

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely going to give this a shot. Looks like some of enemy movement has been restricted which is a bit odd, looks like its too easy to play defensively.

Alby_Duckett

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think this looks good. Maybe they should include a smooth movement mode for people who can handle it - i doubt I could tbh. But I think people who are turned off by the teleporting will be surprised by how immersed you will be when actually in the game. I thought the fixed degree turning in RE7 looked terrible, but when I tried it I never was taken out of the moment. And here, the teleporting almost feels like a good mechanic - like you're doom marine but you have a teleporting ability. I'm sure the immersion when you're mowing down the enemies will be enough for me.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
VR is not a gimmick if done Resident Evil 7 or Farpoint way. Which i still expect Doom VFR to include.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I wonder those negative about VR saying it is a fad and gameplay does not look good have even tried VR ? Yes some games feel like ransom-ware but full fledged games are on another level. Rainfall megaton is not that big of a game, but holy crap the experience, same with R7 and i can name a couple of games. Don't hate until you try it. But i do agree that free movement needs to be an option. I for one am not gonna buy Doom because of the movement. I cant find no excuse except maybe budget and time that this has no free movement option.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
take note to those not into it....seeing on a flat screen is not equivilant to seeing it in VR.

This 100%, whenever I am playing PsVR and someone is watching they watch it on the TV and wonder what all the fuss is for but then every single time I have put the headset on them their minds are instantly blown.

Back to Doom VFR though why oh why is this teleport only. Would have been a must buy from me if it had normal movement but I hate the teleport mechanic in VR games. Will wait for them to eventually patch it in.

Also does this have Aim support?

lordlad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
The gameplay mechanics don't change.
playing a FPS on a flatscreen versus playing farpoint in VR is mechanically the same (shooting in FPS with a gun) but WAY WAY WAY different in overall experience...

i don't know what i can do to convince you otherwise as it's something only you must experience yourself to know what i meant.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an option to freely walk around for those of us who don't get motion sick? I hate the teleporting movement thing that so many VR games rely upon. Just let me walk!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
playing a FPS on a flatscreen versus playing farpoint in VR is mechanically the same (shooting in FPS with a gun) but WAY WAY WAY different in overall experience...

i don't know what i can do to convince you otherwise as it's something only you must experience yourself to know what i meant.

I'm sure when done right it is. Resident Evil 7 sounds incredible and had me considering VR for Christmas. All VR games are going to have that immersion factor. But to me, free movement is what's going to separates the truly amazing experiences from the novelties.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Same, i don't get motion sickness so i want to go full out. I was also misinformed about Skyrim, but they have a free movement option with the move controllers or DS4. So i am hoping that Doom also has free movement.
You're going to be moving 5 times faster than in Skyrim. The vast vast majority of people are not going to be able handle going that fast.

ranmafan

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to try this still but I just really hate the teleport system. I know it's cause of motion sickness but I really do appreciate when games at least give you the option to choose smooth controls for those that can handle it. It's one thing I'm so happy about with the upcoming skyrim, they are giving lots of options and the full skyrim experience. But this just seems so un doom like to me. Going to take a wait and see until I hear more impressions once the game is out.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Some people seem determined to bury VR as if it's a threat to their gaming existence. Ive been enjoying it for the past year, and it's still great fun. I'm skeptical of Doom, not a fan of teleporting in VR, but the more I see of Skyrim, the more I'm warming up to it now that I've seen footage without teleportation.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think this looks really good. I know it's not the Doom we all know and love, but it looks like a more strategic versus twitchy type of game.

I take it this is a PSVR timed exclusive?

Although it is still early and a lot of improvements can (and will) be made, VR is no fad.

Something you can never get a true appreciation of using a monitor is scale. Yeah, you can show these big monsters on the screen, but until you are in the game and everything is on a 1 to 1 scale, then you can't get the true sense of scale (and therefore immersion). There's nothing like it.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel that people are being way too harsh here. If the guns feel good to use in VR, it could be killer. Epic's Robo Recall is also focused on teleportation but the sensation of playing it is simply incredible. Firing weapons by itself is just flat out fun in a way that it's not when playing using traditional controls.

Warping around feels fine too, I think.

That said, adapting current games to VR doesn't usually work well so we'll have to wait and see how this works but, still, VR remains a very cool thing.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
If warping around is really the only way to get around in this game, I'm out.

Games like RIGS, BattleZone and FarPoint already proved you can have free movement in a FPS, and it works flawlessly. If they went with warping to appease the people who get motion sickness, they should have made it an option, not the only way to play.

lordlad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I'm sure when done right it is. Resident Evil 7 sounds incredible and had me considering VR for Christmas. All VR games are going to have that immersion factor. But to me, free movement is what's going to separates the truly amazing experiences from the novelties.

i think you need to keep your expectations in check in regards to free movement in VR if you are a VR virgin.....that motion sickness is a real thing.......the same thing happened to me...and it took me awhile before my VR legs are strong enough..

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Slow adoption from core market, doesn't attract the masses, highly unlikely an affordable gaming solution comes soon and it has a host of its own technical problems.

I fully expect it to fail spectacularly unless the above changes.

..sigh.. It's because of the precautions and adjustments like this that VR has gotten this far. Virtual Reality will always be the end game, wether it's PSVR/VIVE or something new in the future.

You can tell who've actually played VR games and who hasn't.. the motion sickness isn't the same that some get with regular fps'
OT:
Looking through someone's eyes in the first person is vastly different than being those eyes. Being that person and moving while being stationary in real life is the problem.

Playing a whole game for hours on end in Skyrim is not good for your body, no matter who you are. You might not get motion sickness, but might get migraines after the fact.

VR is a very dynamic experience, a mind blowing one. You have no choice but to drop your jaws the first time you use it. But this is early stages of consumer VR. Vive and rift may offer a more robust experience because of the options for it, while the bite sized games you get on PSVR are meant to consumed in chunks. No more than a couple hours at a time.

That being said; one might think what's the point? Well, Batman VR is not a long game, but blows most games out the water!

I like to think the people who are making this shit knows what they are doing and implementing this stuff for a reason.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
..sigh.. It's because of the precautions and adjustments like this that VR has gotten this far. Virtual Reality will always be the end game, wether it's PSVR/VIVE or something new in the future.
How do you figure? Do have any rational arguments for it other than simply saying everyone should try it? A lot of arguments for VR seem entirely based on anecdotes.