• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do YOU think is the most influential game of the 21st century?

• Dark Souls

Votes: 285 24.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 567 48.9%
  • Half-Life 2

Votes: 66 5.7%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 182 15.7%
  • Diablo 2

Votes: 13 1.1%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 37 3.2%
  • Devil May Cry

Votes: 10 0.9%

• Total voters

Adroitone

Nov 12, 2017
Dark Souls spawned it's own genre of action games, inspired others to explore other means of telling story rather than dialogue boxes and spoken word and retaught an audience that challenge can be fun and rewarding.

I feel the Metroid series, especially Metroid Prime already laid the ground work especially the way it told its' story. Soul series popularized it.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I can definitely appreciate the points the article makes, especially regarding how games have started to feel more difficult again after DkS made it ok for them to be hard. It did create its own subgenre.

But there were four words that popped into my mind when I read this: Grand Theft Auto III. I feel that game is almost objectively (and I hate that word) more influential. Like, I feel the argument for that doesn't even need to be made. Look at the fifty billion open world games today, almost all of them have GTA's DNA in them.

?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh ok, that's fine then, cause if you wanted to go that route you'd have to give it to Demon's Souls. And even then I wouldn't say that game. Clickbait title.

If you're going ancestor route, then you wouldn't give it to Demon's Souls, you'd give it to King's Field. Or going back further, Ultima Underworld. Or going back further, Wizardry.

Dark Souls influenced & continues to influence many games. Demon's Souls primarily just influenced 1 game - Dark Souls.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft. GTA 3. Call of Duty 4 or Halo.

Any of these are more influential than Dark Souls.

Oct 26, 2017
I can see Dark Souls, GTA 3, and Resident Evil 4. Not going to argue too heavily for one over the other. Century seems silly though, for any choice.

Oct 30, 2017
I think you could probably come up with a longer list of games that directly cite Dark Souls as an inspiration than you can find citations of Resident Evil 4.
Sure, but I'd also argue that there are games that take implicit inspiration from RE4's POV. I just can't think of a catchier term for it that would be comparable to Soulsborne or Souls-like.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Call of Duty 4 is likely the most influential game of the 21st century thus far, and I'm very surprised no to see it in the poll (especially over something like Devil May Cry). It's impact stems from not only its place in defining the rules most online multiplayer games still follow to this day--but it was one of the first times where multiplayer superceeded single-player. We were still designing games campaign-first in this era, as we had been since the dawn of home video gaming. We were still trying to catch our footing with what online multiplayer could be. CoD4 proved that online multiplayer could be the focal point of a game rather than the single player with how popular it was, and the whole industry shifted after that. Granted, the first notable appearance of this phenomenon was Halo 2 on Xbox--I liken it to Wolfenstein 3D where it may have been on of the earliest signs of the FPS, but it wasn't until Doom (and eventually CoD4) that really cemented the genre as a force to be reckoned with.

Shortly after CoD4, games that started life as single-player only started shoehorning multiplayer modes in their sequels to try and catch that CoD4 wind and keep games of used store shelves as long as possible. It's inflection of RPG mechanics for multiplayer progression basically created the template that all single-turned-multiplayer game series followed. (Remember seeing this with Uncharted 3 specifically, where they abandoned the progression of U2 for something much more CoD-like with 3) CoD4 got the ball rolling for games like Overwatch and Fortnite to become the sensations that they are today.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Talk about living in a bubble when you have games like WoW, GTA3, WiISports, CoD, Candy Crush, Fortnite and Minecraft out there that touched much more people and had bigger impact.
Dark souls fans talk the game up so much it's insane

Anyways I would say GTA3, Halo 3 or CoD4 were far more influential in creating gaming as we know it today

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
That's a list of incredible games but I have to pick GTA III. In addition to what it and its sequels did commercially the game, like Mortal Kombat, was a social flashpoint.

Then throw the list of open world games that use the "quest giver" mechanic, an open world that slowly expands over the story, and a sandbox of toys and sidequests to do and I'm not sure how an argument can be made for the others and I'm not a huge GTA fan.

CoD4 is probably one of the few games that belongs in the conversation with GTA III given how nearly every competitive shooter since has borrowed its leveling mechanic, smaller scope, quicker TTK, and loadouts.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
You could make a solid case for it being the top of the list for the 2010s, but I'd struggle to think of anything that could beat GTA3 for the whole century. It's probably GTA3, then Halo 2 and CoD4 are probably 2 and 3 for creating modern multiplayer, though I'm not sure which I'd put over the other. Then maybe Minecraft. Then you get to a tier where Dark Souls probably coexists with RE4, Gears of War, and Assassin's Creed 2. So yeah, top ten, maaaybe top five, but no way number one.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
The title of the article: The most influential games of the 21st Century: Dark Souls

The title of the OP: Gamespot: Dark Souls is the most influential game of the 21st century

Try to spot the clickbait and the reason this thread will end up being an endless fight.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls is not even as influential as ArmA 2 or ArmA 3, two games that most of you haven't heard of.
but it definitely is an influential game

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
From Software and its games are certainly the closest of religious cult fanaticism I can think of for a very long time. I even read that the instable framerate and stuttering of BB were adding to the experience.

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's DOTA easy. It created an entire genre (also is also responsible for the hero shooter genre imo). The MOBA genre is the reason why free to play multiplayer games are as big as they are imo.

Misleading title
OP
OP
MechanicalWall
Oct 27, 2017
I misunderstood the premise of this series Gamestop is doing, they are stating Dark Souls is ONE of the most influential games of the decade. My apologies, I didn't intentionally create an inflammatory thread title. I have requested a thread title change

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Not even close.

GTA 3 for this century. Till something else comes along the way.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Many of those poll choice don't make any sense, but it seems you know that OP.

But yeah, hard disagree on Dark Souls. Something that pushed open worlds and quest markers in the real answer; that's what has influenced most games up to this point in the last 18 years.

I'd say Morrowind maybe. Though GTA 3 is not a terrible answer either.

Only me and someone else voted for Skyrim so far? I really felt it was the game tha made every other RPG wanna be open world. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, The Witcher...

Skyrim is the follow up to two other games by the same studio that already did what it does. It wouldn't even exist without those. If anything you would need to look to the impact those games had. Skyrim just happens to be the most mass market iteration of those ideas thus far.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Don't know how to look at the red ocean of open world games that stretches back through multiple console generations and not award this to GTA3.

Except if we're going beyond the AAA or traditional game space, in which case I think Candy Crush Saga has a serious claim to the throne.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You could maybe argue dark souls could be in the conversation but being the most influential that's total codswallop.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Demon's Souls wuz robbed!!

Stop making that shit an honorable mention.

And though Soulsborne has been my favorite series since Demon's Souls, I don't see it near as influential as GTA3. GTA was like D&D influential.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls (or Demon Sous) basically created a new genre of games, so I'd say it's definitely up there in the top 3.

No way anything compares with Minecraft and how it created a whole new generation of video game players and made billions in the process.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Title updated per OP's request.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
What did Dark Souls really add to the genre of Action RPGs other than a mandatory hard difficulty, a rechargeable health recovery system and shoulder button combat?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is a riff on Demon's Souls... And then you have to consider Minecraft, The Walking Dead (Telltale), Skyrim, Bioshock, Portal, Half Life 2, The Last of Us...

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Demons Souls *
But yeah the Souls series is one of the most influential of the recent gaming history.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Listen, I like the souls series, some of ya'll really overblow just how much it 'changed' things.
"Games got hard again" like, dark souls probably had some impact on that, but it was not THE reason for it.

I would argue gta3 had a more significant impact than souls did.
I'd also argue halo for the xbox is one of the most influential games of all time and it came out in the 21st century too

For being the flagship title for the new console, the original xbox, and for shaping how fps games were designed for years to the point that several design cues are still taken to this day.

And considering how the modern way the games industry is going I'd argue something like pubg is more influential by a significant amount, considering its lead to the rise of games like, fortnite and others, and will likely have shaped a lot of ideas about games and GaaS for quite some time.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Really wish it wasn't honestly. It's annoying when the style of these games creeps in to other games. That new Star Wars game wants people to think it's like Souls so bad. I don't like it.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I have to vote GTA III. Doesn't mean I like it more than Dark Souls but it is clearly more influential in the world design.