• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't. TLOU has been my favorite game of all time since I first played it in 2013. God of War has absolutely blown me away but it'll be hard for it to overthrow TLOU for me. But it's definitely up there.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Right now God of War by FAR. But TLoU is 5 years old. That's a long time in gaming development world. There is a Generation gap.
Though some of the dialogues in TLoU were amazing. Especially in the DLC.

Great games though. TLoU2 will be amazing, no doubt.

Last edited:

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Definitely God of War in 2018

But TLOU is 5 years old now and alot of what it did back then was mind blowing at the time, is now relatively par for the course. Probably still the strongest narrative in gaming though.

If I'm comparing how I reacted to each at the time of their release. It's pretty close. Which is a lot of credit to TLOU considering how insanely over the top they went with scale and content in GOW.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
God of War is very good but The Last of Us is just that cut above for me. People criticise its gameplay but I'm a big fan and wouldn't have put so many hours into the multiplayer if I wasn't.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
TLoU is the greatest game of all time. So TLoU > GoW.

tenor.gif

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What a horrible choice. Like deciding which of your children is your favourite and letting them all know during a family meeting.

Its God Of War.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Pro to play GoW last week. I have zero desire to ever play The Last of Us. I honestly have zero desire to play any other playstation games (maybe Spiderman). It was still worth every penny GoW is THAT good.

So the other 10/10 game doesn't even warrant your look in? My word.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just got to an area on GoW that makes me see why some ppl compare it to past Zelda games. I had to force myself to go to bed last night, lol.

These 2 games have different play styles. Your really cannot judge the gameplay in comparison to each other.

I'm going to give it to GoW, because of the faster paced gameplay and the puzzles, metroidvania feel. It's a good mix of fast paced game and exploring. Then the RPG elements....

TLoU does what it does and does it well IMO, just like GoW right now.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
TLOU is a fucking masterpiece but GOW is just in another leauge. Let's see what ND is cooking up for TLOU2. Ohhh BOI

Oct 27, 2017
Sees 'God of War vs. The Last of Us' in the title... could not get out of the first page without Zelda being mentioned, lol.

Anywho, I am fond of both games, with both very similar & different reasons as well. I just adore what they did by adding depth and humanity into Kratos with the addition of Atreus to aide in there storytelling narrative.

Every time I go to boot up the game, a voice echoes in my head, "Time to continue my journey with Atreus!" You look forward to seeing more of their dynamic unfold. He does not feel like a hollow tag-a-long, and is every bit integral to the story/journey/world.

Readjust your backlog immediately!

That is what I do. We all have huge backlogs I would wager, however, when there are those key gems of a game, they take precedent over others on the list. 'Line-cut', then continue on the backlog after.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
God of War is the complete package with great gameplay, graphics, story telling.

The Last of Us had lackluster gameplay, but the other aspects were strong, so I find it hard to say it's better than God of War, much lest best game ever when the most important part of a game, the gameplay is fairly mediocre. At least in the campaign.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
They're two very different games, thematically and gameplay wise. Just because they both have a parental theme doesn't mean they're the same.

However, for the sake of discussion, I'm far more fond of GoW. On top of having a really emotional and interesting, unique father/son story, it also stands on its own as a fantastic story set in Norse mythology with epic battles, fantastic gameplay, great moments between "villains" and so on.

The Last of Us is great and has some epic moments but it's not on the scale of GoW, nor can it or should it be given it's far more grounded.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Last of us gameplay was hardly mediocre. If you know how to shoot, use throwing molotovs and do stealth and use the bricks you find for 1 shot kills.. it can really be interwoven beautifully together. There's a video of someone going ham with everything he has and it looks great and even something from a movie but mediocre gameplay = some one struggling to get a headshot = mediocre.

I think God of War still has some questionable game-play mechanics that show in Hard. Which knocks down the game-play a hair... the dodging and locking in on camera is a big issue for me... fighting Elves and Valks make this really frustrating at times...when as i should not be trying to re-lock in and reposition my camera after i lock in...and stuff i clearly dodge still gets hit...

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people can't look past slower exposition and walking or soft puzzle segments, and others simply aren't very good at the combat, which then skews their notion of the gameplay as a whole.

The actual combat and encounters in TLoU are some of the most satisfying and well designed in the entire third person shooter genre. The controls, gunplay, feedback, level design, fluidity of animations and dynamism of approach options (guns, explosives, traps, stealth, contextual melee, bow, environmental objects, cover system, on the fly crafting etc) are unbelievably competent, polished and rewarding. I can't even take those who say the gameplay is bad in TLoU seriously.

tlouheadshotoviuk.gif
Yup, the gameplay mechanics are rock solid. So much so that TLOU's multiplayer is actually one of the best (and most overlooked) competitive MP components of last gen.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think both are masterpiece games, but I'd take God of War.

TLOU makes almost everything perfectly, but GoW makes all of that too and better, in addition to do additional things perfectly.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why compare them though? Not even the same genre smh

A more controversial and hot take topic would be GoW vs BoTW :)

Take a step or two (or three) back and they are pretty similar games.

Over the shoulder perspective, narrative driven, relationship focused, mature themes, gritty setting, RPG-lite elements, cinematic drama.
They share a lot of DNA, and it's not hard to imagine similar games filling in the gaps between them going forward.

There are further stretches of worthwhile comparisons within games for sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like GoW more than TLoU.
But I just don't like horror games very much, even if very light as in TLoU. They give me headache.
I like Uncharted 2 and 4 more than TLoU too.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really torn. Probably GoW, but TLOU is still really good.

I feel like I'm not going to like the direction they take Ellie or Atreus in the sequels to either game, which retroactively will sour me on both of the originals.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat GoW finally. TLOU is much much better and GoW will never claim half of it's awards even if RDR2 wasn't coming this year.

I don't know how some were claiming that the story is on par with TLOU. It's not even close.