• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
www.gamespot.com

Phil Spencer Is Exactly Who You Think He Is

How the head of Xbox is preparing for the future.

Amazing profile of Phil Spencer by GameSpot. Worth reading the whole thing.

It seemed like a good time to ask that question. Spencer was facing a lot of internal scrutiny from his own team. Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with "the soul" of what Xbox was. "Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in," Spencer told me. "But it's better to have it above the table than below the table, right?" Spencer tried to work out what to say to Nadella. He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved--if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: "If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are."

At the front of the line, Spencer seemed a little distracted. "I'd love to find Hitman and Megatron after this," he said, scanning the room. Three years ago, Spencer got an Xbox Live invitation to play Destiny with a man named Keith Garlington ("Hitman"), a father of two who runs a funeral home in Arkansas. "Phil had talked a lot publicly about being a dad and not having enough time to play games, so I just sent him a message saying, 'Hey, I'm a dad too," Garlington told me recently. Spencer and Garlington now play together a few nights a week. They're usually joined by Amin Cooper ("Megatron"), who works construction and lives in New Jersey. The three men talk about life, work, and family as they drive around in Forza and co-op on Destiny 2 strikes. "We know each other's wives' names. We know each other's kids' names. We know what we're all doing next weekend," Spencer told me. "What other social construct would put these three random people together like this?"

"I hear that a lot," Spencer told me. "That I only care about cross-platform play because we're 'losing.' There's no way for me to disprove that other than to say it's not true. These decisions aren't part of a strategy to eke away at number one's foothold or something. It doesn't mean that I'm perfect at this job. Obviously, you can get smarter people to do this job. I mean, I don't even have an MBA. There's a ton of things that I'm incapable of doing. If you put me as head of Microsoft Office or something, it would seem totally disingenuous. That's not what I am."

For his part, Schafer was initially skeptical of the acquisition. Firstly, it wasn't something that he'd been thinking about. Secondly, he was worried about potentially putting Double Fine's identity at risk. "Like, do we all change our emails to Microsoft emails and paint all the walls green?" he told me. What ultimately changed his mind was a phone call to the folks at Ninja Theory, who told him that Microsoft's insistence on letting first-party studios just keep doing what they wanted with minimal interference was true. "They said, 'We are still who we are. They're letting us make the kind of games we want to make.' And that was a huge thing for me. I could see how it makes sense--it makes sense not to have them convert us to making Forza DLC or something."

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"One of the first calls we got after the Minecraft acquisition was from Sony saying, 'Are you going to pull it off PlayStation?'," Spencer said. "And I'm like, 'Why why would I do that? People like playing it on PlayStation.'"

The first person Spencer bumped into was Steve Singer, Nintendo America's vice president of licensing, who, upon spotting Spencer, promptly gave him the middle finger. It was all for show, of course--the two men hugged warmly and talked shop out of earshot. Even inside the booth of a direct rival, Spencer's fans weren't far off. A young volunteer in a red Nintendo shirt spotted him and jogged over to say hi; it turns out the two know each other from Xbox Live.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Read this earlier.. nothing really new that we didn't already know, but it's a fun look into his history and this E3.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like he's doing it out of goodwill. Minecraft brings in a ton of money on ps

Oct 25, 2017
He seems like a pretty nice and friendly guy, as well as Xbox doing good things for the for comsumers like Gamepass. I can't knock him for any of that.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I've said this in other threads, but I have been a PS stalwart since PS1 (yes, I've owned most other consoles, though not 360 or XB1), but Xbox has been killing it lately and I'm jumping ship next cycle. If I wasn't paid up on PSN through 12/2020, I'd have jumped ship already.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Phil seems like a genuinely great guy.

I understand some people find it grating to hear it so often, but I don't think there's any harm in praising him for doing right by the industry, and he's done a lot of good things as of late.

Still reading through the article and I'm legit amused he made friends on XBL like millions of others have.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i've never been a huge fan of the xbox brand (i own an x though) but phil seems like a good dude who cares about what he's doing and i appreciate that. phil makes me excited for the next gen xbox

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Phil is such a cool guy that I will be very disappointed if I don't see his face when Master Chief finally takes off his helmet.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
"One of the first calls we got after the Minecraft acquisition was from Sony saying, 'Are you going to pull it off PlayStation?'," Spencer said. "And I'm like, 'Why why would I do that? People like playing it on PlayStation.'"

Kinda shows what Sony would do in that situation to be honest.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he seems like a really nice guy, really good to have such a person in this industry in such an important position.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like he's doing it out of goodwill. Minecraft brings in a ton of money on ps

I mean he says that.

"People like playing it on PlayStation.'"

So why would he take it off PS. People like playing it. Resulting in bigger revenue. He wont make that back making it exclusive.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
He's a hype man just like every other execs in the business.

All they're good for are memes.

As far as I'm concerned, I rate them based on how meme'd they are.

Phil is pretty average as far as memes go.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
During this year's Giant Bomb E3 podcasts they had an entire segment with just Phil and Jeff sitting down to chat. I think it was like 30 or 45 min long.

It really made me consider what a legit guy Spencer is. Like he's honestly good-willed and not afraid to own MS blunders, etc. He seems really passionate about gaming and genuinely seems like he wants to be a force of good in the industry.

Well that didn't take long, lol.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I like Spencer, but I'd really like to hear his take on why they can lay off all those Mixer employees but can pay Ninja $50M.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Spencer, but I'd really like to hear his take on why they can lay off all those Mixer employees but can pay Ninja $50M.

Focusing the budget on what they think will make it better long term. People losing jobs sucks, especially in a company as big as MS they should just be moved around not laid off, but businesses have budgets and sometimes you have to move that money into different things as part of a business.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you Phil Spencer for not pulling a game off a platform that makes you hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Phil spencer is the best. Glad he pushed MS to go all in on gaming and he seems like a really standup person.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
he is who we thought he was

and we let him off the hook

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Good read. I love this behind the scenes stuff like when they talk about E3.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Focusing the budget on what they think will make it better long term. People losing jobs sucks, especially in a company as big as MS they should just be moved around not laid off, but businesses have budgets and sometimes you have to move that money into different things as part of a business.
They were laid off right after E3 and MS has a history of redeploying employees, so this is especially shitty.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so would every big first party game on competing platforms but you don't see that happening often. i'm pretty sure if mojang was bought by another platform holder it would have been pulled from other platforms (other than PC, probably).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing stuff. So glad Phil is in charge of Xbox and and I love the support he is getting from Satya. Great times ahead.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

Kinda shows what Sony would do in that situation to be honest.

Well this was in 2014 and the PS4 was seeing a meteoric rise faster than anyone ever thought would happen after the PS3 struggles (which they were still recovering from even then). They probably took it as big move to squash the PS4's momentum and have a super popular series to reinvigorate Xbox sales.

And well, it is not like MS didn't play "take away" from PlayStation as much as they could most of the first few years of the Xbox 360's life....

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I mean he says that.

"People like playing it on PlayStation.'"

So why would he take it off PS. People like playing it. Resulting in bigger revenue. He wont make that back making it exclusive.

Yeah, but you see where this argument goes, right? Why make anything exclusive? Bigger revenue selling on all platforms, and people would love to play Halo and Forza on PlayStation as well.

Minecraft isn't exclusive because it wasn't exclusive at the time they purchased it and it's an evergreen title that doesn't lend itself to sequels. In addition they get goodwill from leaving it alone.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
so would every big first party game on competing platforms but you don't see that happening often. i'm pretty sure if mojang was bought by another platform holder it would have been pulled from other platforms (other than PC, probably).
They invested billions of dollars in purchasing the Minecraft IP so MS (any company) would be smart to keep it on as many platforms as possible to make their money back. There's a shortlist of IP's that can be purchased for billions

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but you see where this argument goes, right? Why make anything exclusive? Bigger revenue selling on all platforms, and people would love to play Halo and Forza on PlayStation as well.

Minecraft isn't exclusive because it wasn't exclusive at the time they purchased it and it's an evergreen title that doesn't lend itself to sequels. In addition they get goodwill from leaving it alone.
Well you gave the answer already. ;)

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Never thought much of him, going back as far as the days when he was squandering the talents of Rare on dogshit like avatars and Kinect games. Good on him for keeping Minecraft on all platforms, but as others pointed out, MS would be colossal morons to pull it from places where it's successful.