• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Nice guy or not, he has a lot of work to do and he better hope he bet on the right studios or it's going to get ugly next gen in Redmond.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I'm getting tired of him to be honest, seems like people talk more about him than Xbox games around here.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
"One of the first calls we got after the Minecraft acquisition was from Sony saying, 'Are you going to pull it off PlayStation?'," Spencer said. "And I'm like, 'Why why would I do that? People like playing it on PlayStation.'"

Kinda shows what Sony would do in that situation to be honest.

So if the situation were reversed, Microsoft would have not called Sony and just waited to potentially be blindsided?

Not saying Sony would or would not have done the same, but you are ridiculous if you think any business worth anything wouldn't have tried to find out what was going to happen in the position Sony were in.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
User Banned (7 Days): History of system warring across multiple posts
A hot air talking guy which I can not stand ?

Peter Moore should come back....

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil_nuts_across_the_cosmos.png

He truly is a man of many faces.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella, Microsoft's new CEO. "I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming," Nadella told him.

It seemed like a good time to ask that question. Spencer was facing a lot of internal scrutiny from his own team. Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with "the soul" of what Xbox was. "Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in," Spencer told me. "But it's better to have it above the table than below the table, right?"
It's kinda funny how much vitriol and how many accusations of lying were flung my way when I said this was the case a few years ago.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda funny how much vitriol and how many accusations of lying were flung my way when I said this was the case a few years ago.
Yeah. Spencer also said it himself. Like there was a real question within Xbox. What do we want, should we be in gaming etc.
This was in 2014. I mean those are legit questions to ask yourself. I am glad they found the direction and in the meantime got even greater backing from MS itself.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, i'll never understand why some people get so bothered and riled up when something nice is said about phil. happens like clockwork.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, article really paints the Xbox brand as at the edge of the cliff at one point

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like he's doing it out of goodwill. Minecraft brings in a ton of money on ps

I just wonder why this has to be posted all the time. What point is being made? Do you go to the pool and tell people they'll get wet if they jump in?

I think everyone knows businesses want to make money.

Oct 27, 2017
Era's fascination with corporate executives is the most bizarre thing. I honestly don't get it. Even though I think a person like Kojima is snorting a bit too much of their own hype, at least Kojima is a creator and his following is somewhat warranted. With Phil Spencer, it's just the most fanboy thing, and it's sad how defensive people get when you remind them that making money with the Xbox brand is his job.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Someone who talks a lot but produces very little of what actually matters?
I mean isn't that his job? It's his job to cultivate good relations with both gamers and developers, isn't it? Isn't producing content the job of producers and development teams? He's just there to set it up and get it rolling. I mean, maybe there could be better oversight, and I have no idea how far his duties extend, but I never thought of him more than a hype man who fronts for the brand, like Shu for Playstation (except what happened, where are all the PS guys damnit haven't seen them in like a year).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Era's fascination with corporate executives is the most bizarre thing. I honestly don't get it. Even though I think a person like Kojima is snorting a bit too much of their own hype, at least Kojima is a creator and his following is somewhat warranted. With Phil Spencer, it's just the most fanboy thing, and it's sad how defensive people get when you remind them that making money with the Xbox brand is his job.
phil is in a much more important position than pretty much any game creator. he might not be directly in charge of making one specific game every 5 or so years, but his decisions have way more impact on gaming as a whole.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
This PR offensive is making want a Phil Spencer plushie at least as much as the next Xbox. ;)

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
He's growing Xbox into areas that put it out of direct competition with PlayStation, and pointedly trying to heal the Xbox brand image after the damage done to it at the beginning of the console generation.

Nothing about his actions would make me expect the unexpected.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, the reverse is true with people just blindly defending anything he says. Both equally damn annoying, imo.
he's definitely one of the few people in the game industry where people could be praising or talking nice about him and them some people would just show off to bring up a "cult" or whatever nonsense, has to be something specific about him that bothers people.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
he's definitely one of the few people in the game industry where people could be praising or talking nice about him and them some people would just show off to bring up a "cult" or whatever nonsense, has to be something specific about him that bothers people.
After hearing/reading the same thing from him in regards to certain aspects (single player titles for ex.) for years and still nothing comes from it. With the same people just defending/excusing it... Yeah, it is no surprise some people will bring up the "cult" thing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because putting out the X, launching Game Pass on Xbox and PC and bolstering their first party studio lineup clearly don't count.
don't forget popularizing cross-play.

After hearing/reading the same thing from him in regards to certain aspects (single player titles for ex.) for years and still nothing comes from it. With the same people just defending/excusing it... Yeah, it is no surprise some people will bring up the "cult" thing.
he's been put in charge of a division that was in rough shape, and he's done a lot of good stuff in a pretty short amount of time. it's not like all decisions will show their effects in a year or two.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said this in other threads, but I have been a PS stalwart since PS1 (yes, I've owned most other consoles, though not 360 or XB1), but Xbox has been killing it lately and I'm jumping ship next cycle. If I wasn't paid up on PSN through 12/2020, I'd have jumped ship already.

If the next Xbox looks to at least be on par with the PlayStation 5, I'll also be jumping ship I think.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's not like he's doing it out of goodwill. Minecraft brings in a ton of money on ps
You know, it's almost like he's doing things that benefits GAMERS in order to make the GAMING division of the company more profitable. It's funny how doing things that give players choice and make the industry more accessible just happens to make the company more money.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
He seems like a great guy that's able to both understand the business side, while also getting what gamers are looking for. And there's no denying the results. Everything has been turned around under him, from hardware to services to first party. I could see Xbox becoming my most used ecosystem next gen. It certainly is now.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love that every spencer thread we get the people who come in to let us know that hes doing his job as if this belies the fact that by all accounts doing his job aligns with his own personal philosophy and as such shouldn't be lauded for it. "hes only doing it because its his job", such a profound and interesting take you have there.

You know, it's almost like he's doing things that benefits GAMERS in order to make the GAMING division of the company more profitable. It's funny how doing things that give players choice and make the industry more accessible just happens to make the company more money.
^^^

So funny.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that every spencer thread we get the people who come in to let us know that hes doing his job as if this belies the fact that by all accounts doing his job aligns with his own personal philosophy and as such shouldn't be lauded for it. "hes only doing it because its his job", such a profound and interesting take you have there.
the funny thing is the same people would be in other threads talking about how some game developers who, shockingly, are also doing their job are doing it out of love and passion and are god's gift to gamers.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I've said this in other threads, but I have been a PS stalwart since PS1 (yes, I've owned most other consoles, though not 360 or XB1), but Xbox has been killing it lately and I'm jumping ship next cycle. If I wasn't paid up on PSN through 12/2020, I'd have jumped ship already.
No they haven't. I'd love to see them prove themselves but they're ending this gen weaker than the 360 software wise.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so when I buy Outer Worlds on PS4 I expect the sequel to be available on as many platforms as possible to benefit the GAMERS and make more money for the games division.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I like Spencer, but I'd really like to hear his take on why they can lay off all those Mixer employees but can pay Ninja $50M.

Do you really need to ask? The answer is obvious. Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and like all multi-billion dollar corporations - their entire existence is predicated on revenue and profit. There's no such thing as a multi-billion dollar corporation that is inherently philanthropic, but sometimes being pro-consumer, philanthropic, or seemingly an all around "good guy" overlaps with what's strategically smart for said company to put themselves on a path to increase profit margins. So even in times where a company is seemingly firing on all cylinders and is in the good graces of gamers and the industry at large, they're going to have policies and actions that are unprincipled and not crowd-pleasing.

To answer your question, having monthly Mixer directs and a dedicated staff no longer aligned with their vision for the platform - nor was it feeding into any potential revenue streams. Paying the name most synonymous with game streaming to publicly jump ship from the top game streaming platform is a potential catalyst to move the needle away from Twitch to Microsoft's competing platform. Yes, it's a lot of money, but the potential for cementing yourself as a legitimate player within that realm both aligns with Xbox as a platform - and stands to net you much more revenue should the plan actually work.