• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
That depends if it is happening under his watch. We should also not ignore women such as Bonnie Ross who have major roles within the company. Can the same be said of its two main compeititors, what women do they have that have major status? Seems to me every E3 we see a good mix from Microsoft as far as representation but not from the other two on stage. I think in Phil's radius he promotes acceptance and equality and not the old boys club.
Hi, Shannon Studstill has a major role for Sony. Head of Sony Santa Monica, remember the studio that made 2018s best game? She was responsible in large part for that game.
Siobhan Reddy is one of the founders of Media Molecule and has overseen development on all their games, as she is studio director. Angie Smets is an executive producer and part of the management team at Guerrilla Games. So yeah, not only do they have women taking on major roles, they are also delivering award winning games. Cut out the good ole boys club accusations.

walriii314

Oct 28, 2017
You're going to sit here with a straight face and suggest that people like Shuhei Yoshida, Kaz Hirai, Iwata before his passing, Mark Cerny, Reggie before his retirement, etc. aren't propped up by their respective company's consumers? This stuff has been happening forever. It's been a while since Microsoft has had someone genuinely likable within this roll, but the same thing happened with Peter Moore. Yes, a lot of the time it gets a bit ridiculous, as is the case with gaming fandom in general, but most of the time it's in good fun.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Hi, Shannon Studstill has a major role for Sony. Head of Sony Santa Monica, remember the studio that made 2018s best game? She was responsible in large part for that game.
Siobhan Reddy is one of the founders of Media Molecule and has overseen development on all their games, as she is studio director. Angie Smets is an executive producer and part of the management team at Guerrilla Games. So yeah, not only do they have women taking on major roles, they are also delivering award winning games. Cut out the good ole boys club accusations.
No, you're wrong too.

Very few game companies are doing well when it comes to women in positions of leadership.

MS has, what, 3 female studio heads out of 15 studios? And Sony is just as bad.

Seriously, how low is the bar that 20% is acceptable?

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, you're wrong too.

Very few game companies are doing well when it comes to women in positions of leadership.

Don't women make up around 20% of the industries workforce? So that seems expected, no? Though I know that is a problem in itself, one which the bro culture rep the industry has probably doesn't help.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I was literally just thinking yesterday "what if Phil is just a made-up persona of what Xbox is trying to rebrand itself as". Like, they put him in charge and told him to be all gamer-y to appeal to gamers and make him seem like one of us. Guess none of that's true and he's just a really cool guy.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil will go down as one the industry's greats, there isnt anyone with as much power as him in gaming, and hes brought significant change to the industry because of it. Gamepass is a game changer, but for me, when he unveiled the accessibility controller, he reached legendary status.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you're wrong too.

To be fair how many women apply in this field, do you think it's more than 20%

Sony used to have Amy Henning too. I was talking about E3 stage prescence and who does Nintendo have?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another high praise video dedicated to Phil from Inside Gaming, well worth the watch with plenty of info on the changes he made and promises delivered.

The industry seems to love him.

I know a lot of people say that Phil just talks and that he still needs to produce more first party games. I will just list the things that I personally have liked that he's done since taking over in 2014.

-Removed the paywall requiring gold to use netflix, hulu, youtube, etc.
-Backwards compatibility with Xbox 360. As well as free X enhanced updates
-Acquiring Minecraft as well as doing the right and smart thing to keep it multi-platform
-Acquiring Gears of War and making a new studio for it
-Encouraging cross platform play
-Backwards compatibility with original Xbox games
-Xbox one X
-Acquiring studios more studios (Ninja Theory, Playground, Double Fine, Obsidian, Compulsion Games, Undead Labs, inXile, etc.)
-Created new studio The Initiative
-Created new studio for Age of the Empires and possibly for other RTS games.
-Game Pass and Game Pass Ultimate and for PC as well
-Xcloud

So yes we have had a lot of bumps in the road. Games like Scalebound didn't work out while games like Crackdown saw the light of day. Studios such as Lionhead, press play were closed down or spun off. And the first party output turn around was not produced fast enough for this generation and has yet to be seen for the next just yet. But I can say over all this is the experience I would want on my Xbox for the most part and I'm satisfied with him as the leader to represent the brand.

- Banjo in Smash

I remember when Phil replied to a tweet about using Banjo in smash, about 3 yrs ago, he was positive about it and as usual, we got posts about him saying meaningless things to project a positive, albeit toothless image, and yet they're silent everytime he delivers. Hope modding get stricter on these specific distractions and derailing. Get over Phil, hes a celebrated leader, lets focus on the topic in discussion rather then his ( proven good ) track record.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to sit here with a straight face and suggest that people like Shuhei Yoshida, Kaz Hirai, Iwata before his passing, Mark Cerny, Reggie before his retirement, etc. aren't propped up by their respective company's consumers? This stuff has been happening forever. It's been a while since Microsoft has had someone genuinely likable within this roll, but the same thing happened with Peter Moore. Yes, a lot of the time it gets a bit ridiculous, as is the case with gaming fandom in general, but most of the time it's in good fun.
Agreed. Phil has made notable improvements and after the debacle that was Mattrick I'm glad the brand has a positive figure associated with it. Not to mention he is moving things in a positive direction.

Of course I can't praise Phil without acknowledging that he has thus far failed at the one thing that matters most - video games. In the end that's all that matters, so here's hoping things take a turn for the better.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always a bit skeptical about PR people being all flowers and sunshine, but I haven't seen any reason to doubt that Phil is passionate about gaming and helped convince Microsoft at large to stay in the game.

Looking forward to an increased software output in the years ahead and playing these games on my PC!

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've owned the Xbox and the 360, don't own a X, don't see a reason to, but I like Phil. Sounds a like a nice guy.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
When I met Phil at Tokyo Game Show one year, I asked for his business card, and he said "Sorry, I ran out. How about this? Put your name and phone number into my speed dial, and I'll do the same for you" and he handed me his phone.

No joke. Dude is a class act.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
We need a article like this for big Jimbo.
Would prefer more focus goes back to Shuhei Yoshida :( I have no idea why Playstation thought it was a good idea to reduce his forward facing presence.

EDIT: Microsoft definitely has the right idea facilitating these sorts of articles in the lead up to their next console launch. It's the exact thing that worked so well for Sony in 2013 (humanising the leads, admitting they were in a bad place, etc).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No, you're wrong too.

Bonnie Ross - Head of 343i
Kiki Wolfkill - Head of 343i Transmedia
Shanon Loftis - Head of Xbox Game Studios Global Publishing
Helen Chiang - Head of Minecraft
Jessica Freeman - Head of Marketing Minecraft
Nina Kristensen - Head of Ninja Theory
Ashley Speicher - Head of Engineering Xbox
Karen Woessner Smith - Head of Xbox Partnerships & Lifestyle
Lydia Winters - Chief of Brand Minecraft
Mary McGuane - Chief of Staff Xbox Game Studios
Juliana Tioanda - Chief of Staff Microsoft Gaming Cloud
Arbresha Miraj - Chief of Staff Xbox Team
Sarah Bond - VP Gaming, Gaming Partnerships & Business Development
Nicole Fawcette - Xbox Marketing, Gears of War and Lead of Women in Gaming Xbox
Catarina Macedo - Program Manager Xbox, Lead of Women in Gaming Xbox
Tina Summerford - Director of Programming Xbox
Jenn McCoy - Director of Mixer
Angela Hession - Director of ID@Xbox, Xbox Strategy, Hololens
Kris Hunter - Director of Product User Research and HW Accessibility Xbox
Cindy Walker - Director of Platform Marketing, Lead of Project Scarlett
Tacey Miller - Director of Productions Xbox
Julie Lowe - Director of Marketing, Lead Global Marketing Xbox
Catherine Gluckstein - General Manager Xbox Xcloud
Ada Duan - General Manager Business Development, Lead Business Development Xbox Game Studios
Bree White - Global Product Marketing Manager Xbox
Rachel Card - Principal Program Manager, Xbox
Gabi Michel - Senior Program Manager of HW, Lead of Xbox Adaptative Controller

And a lot more lead positions across the Microsft Gaming Division ( Xbox, Live, Azure, Playfab, Mixer, HW, Marketing, etc. ).

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ada Duan - General Manage Business Development, Lead Business Development Xbox Game Studios

And lot more lead positions across the Microsft Gaming Dividion ( Xbox, Live, Azure, Playfab, Mixer, HW, Marketing, etc. ).
giphy.gif

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
No, you're wrong too.

But Phil has never claimed that's acceptable, and he's talked openly about the need to improve their culture.

I don't think it's useful to point to the existence of problems as some sort of "gotcha", especially for decades-old organizations with thousands of employees. The question is whether an individual leader is pushing in the right direction and clearly seeing the issues. It looks to me like Phil is doing both.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Even though I skipped Xbox this gen I've always liked Spencer because he seems humble and honest which is quite rare.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Yes this guy is the one CEO out of all of them that is a good guy.

Whether in jest or not, MS is doing a turnaround. If we simply define the end result is a competitive market for consumers, then I wager MS is on the warpath to reestablishing competition with Sony again.

Do you really need to ask? The answer is obvious. Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and like all multi-billion dollar corporations - their entire existence is predicated on revenue and profit. There's no such thing as a multi-billion dollar corporation that is inherently philanthropic, but sometimes being pro-consumer, philanthropic, or seemingly an all around "good guy" overlaps with what's strategically smart for said company to put themselves on a path to increase profit margins. So even in times where a company is seemingly firing on all cylinders and is in the good graces of gamers and the industry at large, they're going to have policies and actions that are unprincipled and not crowd-pleasing.

To answer your question, having monthly Mixer directs and a dedicated staff no longer aligned with their vision for the platform - nor was it feeding into any potential revenue streams. Paying the name most synonymous with game streaming to publicly jump ship from the top game streaming platform is a potential catalyst to move the needle away from Twitch to Microsoft's competing platform. Yes, it's a lot of money, but the potential for cementing yourself as a legitimate player within that realm both aligns with Xbox as a platform - and stands to net you much more revenue should the plan actually work.

I'll define it harsher yet perhaps more easier to understand, MS looked at the numbers, looked at the talent, and decided Mixer content that they were producing was not good. Like a network axing a show, we don't go, why did you fire the actors, or relocated the show or what not? The show wasn't bringing in the ratings. They brought a show (Ninja) in that has good ratings. Pretty simple, harsh, but Im not sure how to best put what I think its the most apt comparison than, its a tv show.

I know lots of people like calling CEOs useless and just sucking up money, and I won't contest that, but they are important and they do lead the company. Honestly, the best example probably would be AMD and Lisa Su, its CEO. Yeah, she didn't make the architecture for the Ryzen CPU, or write and maintain the drivers and documentation, she isn't making the AMD logos and stuff....but she did have the leadership role and responsibility for guiding the company, ensuring proper execution, and in a time AMD was being written off as a dead man walking, she needed to have the skills to bullshit her way through the negativity and death notices on AMD's door.

Yeah, she didn't make the architecture, but who is in charge of assuring the investors and banks keep AMD afloat with loans and collateral in a time when their revenue and profits were dropping like a rock?

If you want to contrast a company with a bad CEO.....Brian Krzanich and Intel. He let (or allowed) the company to get complacent, let the foundry portion, or the guys in charge of ensuring the silicon designed gets made, screw up by making decisions that led AMD get ahead and them fall behind. He officially resigned cause for the stated reason that he violated company policy by having a consensual relationship with a subordinate, but i would bet my house he got fired for letting Intel get tossed into the dirt by AMD.

Edit: Honestly the biggest thing I like about Spencer was the making of the xbox accessibility controller.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like Phil. He seems like a good dude, like other execs/etc. (Reggie, Iwata, Cerny, etc.)

And I like the moves he made for Xbox. It's a wait and see now to see if he can deliver on them.

Only thing I don't like (so far) is Xbox Live required to play F2P games on Xbox and the whole women harassment/fiasco - that we never had a proper follow up on. Hopefully it's better now. And obviously more games (tho seems like they are otw, like lamelo).

I'm pretty sure Master Chief is Reggie.

I think Reggie is Metroid?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ada Duan - General Manager Business Development, Lead Business Development Xbox Game Studios

And a lot more lead positions across the Microsft Gaming Division ( Xbox, Live, Azure, Playfab, Mixer, HW, Marketing, etc. ).

lol, this is good, real good :)

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

You have my applause, friend.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
He actually responded to the dumb question I sent to him on Xbox Live awhile back about music. Which doesn't really mean anything, but yeah, nice to know he actually reads it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll define it harsher yet perhaps more easier to understand, MS looked at the numbers, looked at the talent, and decided Mixer content that they were producing was not good. Like a network axing a show, we don't go, why did you fire the actors, or relocated the show or what not? The show wasn't bringing in the ratings. They brought a show (Ninja) in that has good ratings. Pretty simple, harsh, but Im not sure how to best put what I think its the most apt comparison than, its a tv show.

I know lots of people like calling CEOs useless and just sucking up money, and I won't contest that, but they are important and they do lead the company. Honestly, the best example probably would be AMD and Lisa Su, its CEO. Yeah, she didn't make the architecture for the Ryzen CPU, or write and maintain the drivers and documentation, she isn't making the AMD logos and stuff....but she did have the leadership role and responsibility for guiding the company, ensuring proper execution, and in a time AMD was being written off as a dead man walking, she needed to have the skills to bullshit her way through the negativity and death notices on AMD's door.

Yeah, she didn't make the architecture, but who is in charge of assuring the investors and banks keep AMD afloat with loans and collateral in a time when their revenue and profits were dropping like a rock?

If you want to contrast a company with a bad CEO.....Brian Krzanich and Intel. He let (or allowed) the company to get complacent, let the foundry portion, or the guys in charge of ensuring the silicon designed gets made, screw up by making decisions that led AMD get ahead and them fall behind. He officially resigned cause for the stated reason that he violated company policy by having a consensual relationship with a subordinate, but i would bet my house he got fired for letting Intel get tossed into the dirt by AMD.

Edit: Honestly the biggest thing I like about Spencer was the making of the xbox accessibility controller.

This is a pretty good summary tbh.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
And I've spoken to Phil once in LA. Extremely nice guy. Not your typical CEO at all.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Ok but companies do research all the time to gauge what customers want and "being heard" is nothing more than a PR facade and Microsoft is the last company to be above criticism-

You know what, nevermind I want Microsoft to kill it next gen (just maybe don't cult of personality Phil).

Being heard is shorthand for giving the people what they want.

I don't have an issue with fans embracing Phil as a guy who gets it and has the right vision. It shouldn't bother you, it's hardly unprecedented or compulsory.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When I was still working at Microsoft I had a couple of very minor chats with Phil via our internal Yammer. He was really genuine and open and honest about some of the things going on in xbox. Great guy.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not paying attention to Xbox lately have you?
I have and their output is still as bad or worse than at the beginning of this gen. This may or may not change in the future but so far I have no real reason to be optimistic. The rest of the stuff they did is either irrelevant to me (Gamepass, Crossplay, Play Anywhere) or nice to have but not really something I prioritize over strong industry defining games output (BC which has also been canceled for the foreseeable future).

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is a real problem at MS on the whole AND at Xbox in particular.
Fairly sure I've contradicted you on this in the past - I was at MS UK where there's probably a 50/50 split in gender, the head of Ms uk is a woman, and the diversity and inclusiveness is deepset and genuine.

Not to dismiss wider issues in the tech industry, the disgusting issues that were reported in xbox, or elsewhere in MS but to dismiss the entire company is disingenuous. The message from the top around inclusion and diversity is unambiguous and reinforced repeatedly.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
For me the take home is the huge battle Phil had to keep Xbox and gaming as part of MS strategy. People say "why no games - its too late Phil". Well here is why - for 2 years it seems like Xbox was on freeze - so no spending - until strategic direction was worked out.

So can all the "Phil is all talk and no action" posts now be a thing of the past? Its clear what he's been doing.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Phil please give me great games like the 360 era and I am back. I can get a One for 100€ now. Give me one bomb and I am back. Thank you Phil.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
For me the take home is the huge battle Phil had to keep Xbox and gaming as part of MS strategy. People say "why no games - its too late Phil". Well here is why - for 2 years it seems like Xbox was on freeze - so no spending - until strategic direction was worked out.

So can all the "Phil is all talk and no action" posts now be a thing of the past? Its clear what he's been doing.

harSon had a great post in the previous topic about the "only talk" comments. Like in every spencer thread haha

This is the most tired talking point in gaming. Since getting a promotion to the head of gaming, the division reporting directly to the CEO, alongside a renewed interest in Xbox by Microsoft as a whole - Phil Spencer has done nothing but keep the promises he makes.

I've made the point a million times before, but Phil Spencer, until recently, was the equivalent of middle management. There's not a whole lot you can do when your division is considered unimportant by the CEO and board, has a continually diminishing budget, is constantly seen as a vehicle to trojan horse the company into various ventures, and is tucked away under the Window's division - which clearly didn't have its best interests at heart. There's a reason the Xbox division is seemingly on course for a complete 180 after Satya Nadella reclassified Xbox as paramount to Microsoft's future, and Phil Spencer was given a seat at the table - now reporting directly to the CEO. 2017 is roughly when this occurred, and it's the first time that Phil Spencer has had the freedom and the resources to realize his vision for Xbox.

I always ask, but for those who find Phil to be all talk, I implore you to compile a list of promises he has not made considerable progress on.

Phil Spencer agreed that the Xbox One came into the generation underpowered, and had too keen a focus on areas that weren't gaming related. The Xbox One X is released, making it the most powerful console, and the next Xbox is on track to at least be on par with the competition.

Phil Spencer promised to take PC gaming seriously. People rolled their eyes at this, believing it to be an annual empty promise that would go unfulfilled or half-baked. Microsoft redesigned the store, acquired PC centric developers, opened its game to competing storefronts, nuked UWP, is bringing all first party games to PC, and created a subscription service for the platform.

Phil Spencer agreed that First Party titles were the heart of any console, and was honest that Microsoft's efforts along those fronts had grown to be pitiful over the years. So he builds two studios, acquires 7 studios, and injects a bunch of money to bolster the personnel of both existing and newly acquired studios. And all signs point to them not being done when it comes to acquiring talented studios.

They've completely reversed most of their anti-consumer practices, and are easily the most pro-consumer platform in the game right now. They've gone from valuing making choices for consumers, to giving consumers options and allowing them to make the choices. They were on Indie Developer's shit lists, and overtime - they've completely reversed that through ID@Xbox.

Xbox currently has the best value proposition in gaming with Game Pass, and the value seemingly only gets better with each acquisition and deal that they make.

The only thing that remains to be seen is whether they're able to put out quality titles, and that's obviously going to take a little bit of time since their moves along this front are still fresh. I suppose you could still hold that over him and Xbox, but if their recent track record of rectifying faults of the platform continue on its current trajectory - chances are they're going to improve quite a bit in this area too.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017

This is damn good.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I have and their output is still as bad or worse than at the beginning of this gen. This may or may not change in the future but so far I have no real reason to be optimistic. The rest of the stuff they did is either irrelevant to me (Gamepass, Crossplay, Play Anywhere) or nice to have but not really something I prioritize over strong industry defining games output (BC which has also been canceled for the foreseeable future).

At some point they were going to focus their BC efforts on Scarlett and the next gen console supporting three generations worth of games. I'm happy they are doing it now so they have a nice back catalogue of games at launch rather than making us wait months/years for updates.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
No, you're wrong too.

Lol what? Very unlike you to not fact check your statements. MS has a lot of prominent female figures in major roles.

I mean, two of the biggest franchises in the world are run by females (Minecraft and Halo).

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I think he's done a pretty good job for Xbox and it's fans recently.
I've noticed that this place is just an absolute negativity vacuum and it's really hard to browse reading this shit day after day
Game OT's seem to be the only place to have good discussions around here.....all other types of thread are full of the same attention seeking nonsense that is par for the course on the internet.I only come here for the breaking news anyway.....that's something this site does great.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Phil Spencer is the best thing to happen for Xbox since... Xbox. I am curious to see what next gen will bring for Microsoft. So far Phil really managed to turn the ship around for One while most of the damage was already done. In a short periode of tie he has become the face of Xbox more than any other xbox leaders in the past. He is doing really well. All this is coming from a 'Playstation fanboy'.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

well said bro.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

Everyone else is ranting, meanwhile this guy did some real research. Kudos to you.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Thank you for this, I like facts over rampant internet speculation.

MS is really a class act with this and I respect Phil massively. Genuinely great dude. I can't imagine what the people who have issues with him must be like. I don't think I would get on with them at all.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this, I like facts over rampant internet speculation.

MS is really a class act with this and I respect Phil massively. Genuinely great dude. I can't imagine what the people who have issues with him must be like. I don't think I would get on with them at all.
This and next gen will be amazing. :)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

What you know. Facts strike again.