• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
www.gamesindustry.biz

GameSpot to hold summer digital E3 alternative and charity event

GameSpot has announced that it will hold a digital E3 alternative event this summer in partnership with major publisher…

"GameSpot has announced that it will hold a digital E3 alternative event this summer in partnership with major publishers to raise money for COVID-19 relief charity Direct Relief.

The event, called Play for All, will begin in early June and take place across several weeks of livestreamed programming on GameSpot, Giant Bomb, and Metacritic channels.

The programming will include publisher-led digital events, and the outlet has already secured partnerships with 2K Games, CD Projekt Red, Deep Silver, Amazon Games, Bethesda, Devolver Digital, Google Stadia, Larian Studios, Mythical Games, Bandai Namco, Perfect World Entertainment, Sega, and Square Enix."

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the proceeds go to all the people they endangered forcing to work unprotected as 'essential services'. Give me a fucking break.
GameSpot, not GameStop.

I read it that way at first too, lol.

Can't help but wonder if these type of events are going to be the future, in a world without E3.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
www.gamesindustry.biz

GameSpot to hold summer digital E3 alternative and charity event

GameSpot has announced that it will hold a digital E3 alternative event this summer in partnership with major publisher…

"GameSpot has announced that it will hold a digital E3 alternative event this summer in partnership with major publishers to raise money for COVID-19 relief charity Direct Relief.

The event, called Play for All, will begin in early June and take place across several weeks of livestreamed programming on GameSpot, Giant Bomb, and Metacritic channels.

The programming will include publisher-led digital events, and the outlet has already secured partnerships with 2K Games, CD Projekt Red, Deep Silver, Amazon Games, Bethesda, Devolver Digital, Google Stadia, Larian Studios, Mythical Games, Bandai Namco, Perfect World Entertainment, Sega, and Square Enix."

Glad to see Bethesda listed after they were absent on the IGN attendee list.

Can't wait to see more of Ghostwire, Deathloop, Starfield, and whatever other surprises they may have

Oct 26, 2017
How is this going to work with IGN and another was it doing the same? Feels like we're now having split E3s or something.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, I'm looking forward to seeing Starfield. This is really it, E3 season is coming, starting possibly tomorrow with AC, then maybe Microsoft the week or soon after, then this in early June hopefully with Sony and then Microsoft again. Good times!

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
So now we have Xbox and Playstation, IGN, GamesRadar and Now GameSpot?

i thought the publishers were going to do this their Events

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
How is this going to work with IGN and another was it doing the same? Feels like we're now having split E3s or something.
Yeah it's starting to feel like this year instead of one big event for all the publishers to coalesce around in June there will be multiple mediocre events with the equivalent content spread from May to July

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not shocked with that list tbh.. gamespot has been a big name in gaming journalism and news long before IGN became popular in gaming media. I bet Gamespot's coverage will be more better than IGN's. They always have nice panel of people asking questions from the devs in their demo booths.

Oct 24, 2019

Probably means pubs are giving different exclusive coverage to these different events.

For example, maybe Ubisoft will show off AC gameplay at the GameSpot event, and Watch Dogs gameplay at the IGN event. Or something like that.

Or publishers just pick one to attend and skip the other. Bethesda is listed on the GameSpot list, but not on the IGN one

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Well, this feels like an inevitability. GameSpot & Giant Bomb get some of the biggest names while IGN & Keighley get the others.

Gerstmann & Keighley carried E3 media coverage, anyway....

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
So, IGN, GameSpot, and GamesRadar will each have their own competing digital event in June.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Nice that they were able to secure some big players, another summer event to look forward to.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, not bad. Thid is gonna be co fusing with all the events happening. I hope nothing interferes with one another. Imagine MS showing Elden Ring footatge while Nintendo shows BotW2 simultaneiously lol.

Nov 5, 2017
I can't wait for the summer. It will make the Coronavirus lockdown that much easier to endure. Thus far, without the lack of new content or games being released, the lockdown has been somewhat hard to endure.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, not bad. Thid is gonna be co fusing with all the events happening. I hope nothing interferes with one another. Imagine MS showing Elden Ring footatge while Nintendo shows BotW2 simultaneiously lol.
I mean this is no different from what happens at normal e3s, since this strikes me as being more equivalent to the showfloor (You know, actually E3) than the press conferences (which technically occured right before e3)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Oh hey, Google Standia's in this.

I kind of forgot Gamespot existed. I used to go there all the time, then moved to IGN, then Kotaku, etc. Google must not like Gamspot's content because I never see them pop up at the top of searches like IGN/Kotaku/Polygon do. This'll be fun.

All I really want from E3 is Tree House Live (THROUGH ZOOM!)

Oct 25, 2017
Good result, complain about E3 sure, but the big companies involved in dev and games media needed something like this to fill the void, people respond well to most of what these will try to be already.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good result, complain about E3 sure, but the big companies involved in dev and games media needed something like this to fill the void, people respond well to most of what these will try to be already.

this doesn't fill the void. This board seems to have no idea what E3 is actually for. This fills the void for consumers who tune in to watch E3 press coverage, but that's not the main purpose of E3.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean this is no different from what happens at normal e3s, since this strikes me as being more equivalent to the showfloor (You know, actually E3) than the press conferences (which technically occured right before e3)
Oh within the Gamespot event everything will be scheduled of course, I was just spitballing what might hsppen if the others throw their events at the same time.
First time they arent all under the same umbrella after all. I doubt Sony, MS or Nintendo are going to participate in this, and they want some sweet third party stuff for their events too, especially MS and Sony. They are probably making deals with Rocksteady, From, and co. (Or their parent companies) right about now. Or are already done.

Oct 25, 2017
If stadia had their shit together they could be powering all this digital E3 replacements allowing people to play demos while preventing them from downloading the code

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh within the Gamespot event everything will be scheduled of course, I was just spitballing what might hsppen if the others throw their events at the same time.
First time they arent all under the same umbrella after all. I doubt Sony, MS or Nintendo are going to participate in this, and they want some sweet third party stuff for their events too, especially MS and Sony. They are probably making deals with Rocksteady, From, and co. (Or their parent companies) right about now. Or are already done.
I mean again, this is no different from how the e3 show floor typically panned out with different games being covered on different streams simultaneously. Again, expect this to be more in line with show floor coverage than the press conference stuff

Oct 25, 2017
this doesn't fill the void. This board seems to have no idea what E3 is actually for. This fills the void for consumers who tune in to watch E3 press coverage, but that's not the main purpose of E3.

I agree, which is why is mentioned both sides of the symbiotic coin there, specifically the marketing arms not really dev I grant you that, but they would have been cooking this up for a while with the named partners.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, which is why is mentioned both sides of the symbiotic coin there, specifically the marketing arms not really dev I grant you that, but they would have been cooking this up for a while with the named partners.
I think they're talking more about the networking that always goes on during e3 since it's a big opportunity for it. That said, I don't know you can really "replace" that right now anyways until other events start up

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
a bit of irony in that kinda was the first, outlet/cont creators?, to do something like this when sony cancaled psx, now the big outlets are kinda steeling their thunder.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean again, this is no different from how the e3 show floor typically panned out with different games being covered on different streams simultaneously. Again, expect this to be more in line with show floor coverage than the press conference stuff
But since we dont have conferences this year, these publishers want to premiere there stuff somewhere. I doubt they want their actual reveals to run danger of going under in a sea of different coverages.

This event in particular will be structured so everyone parricipating will get their due time, imo.

What I meant was whats happening outside of this show. Like Nintendo for example scheduling a direct in the middle of the Gamespot event.