• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
https://www.gamesradar.com/games-th...video-games-to-be-smarter-bolder-and-greater/

A7af9MF6GhUFTyPpKcqDrJ-320-80.jpg

I burned through Joel and Ellie's American odyssey in a single weekend, the experience leaving such a heavy and deep-seated impression on me, it felt as though the only appropriate response was to scribble my thoughts down as soon as the credits rolled. I didn't know it then, but that moment would spark an affection for games writing that I'm still lucky enough to be making a career out of to this day.

Why is it the GamesRadar+ game of the decade? It's quite simple; The Last of Us unleashed its own epidemic of change, pushing our art form to be smarter, bolder, greater. As a result, almost all other games to come after it owes a debt to Naughty Dog's counter-cultural masterwork, as will – and of this I am sure – the greatest games of the decade to come.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's Sony's most definitive game this decade, but game of the decade as a whole? Eh...

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
YES! At the end of the day this is such a subjective thing (different genre, gameplay types etc.) but I wholeheartedly agree from a personal view point. Nothing has impacted me as much as TLOU had.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Well deserved! Truelly one of kind experience from start to finish, sprinkle the excellent MP mode on top of that and we got the GOTG!!! Can't wait for the sequel.

May 30, 2018
Well deserved

Factions MP alone makes it Game of the Decade, once you add the critically acclaimed campaign to the mix it's a no brainer

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Ya know, I'm ok with this choice. It was great storytelling, I felt attached to these characters and their journey. And to this day, it's one of the few games that made me lose all sense of time.

I'm sure they aren't the first game that came up with this theme and setting but it was the culmination of everything that made it work.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bounced hard off it, it's very much not my type of game, but the impact it has had on the industry and Sony is clear. It feels like the point where Sony really found their stride with cinematic, story-driven games. Even if it's not a game I liked, I think there's a good argument for it as game of the decade.

Nov 23, 2017
Lol, the game is fine but it is by no means counter cultural. It is a mass market product by the most powerful company in the industry. And many, many games were doing what it did well before it did it including ND's own games. Mechanically it pales in comparison to those and Sony's other first party games. It's enjoyable and compelling story is just that, no need to elevate it. It's supposed to just be kind of a pulpy thing.

Games like this and Inside are off-putting to me because when people talk about them, its never really about that they're So Good, but that they're So Important, and I just can't help but cringe.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
It's certainly a solid AAA game I guess. It's probably not even on my top 100, but I do understand that choice. It has spectacle, the controls feel nice, and the writing is okay most of the time. Even if I think most of the characters are bland and uninteresting, they still managed to make a great ending.

All of their choices are pretty obvious ones though. All of us would have guessed more or less what the top 10 would have been. So, yeah, sure.

EDIT : "counter-cultural" holy cow hahaha
It was exacly everything that every AAA tried to make that year (like Tomb Raider), only made better.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I love the story it told, but wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay. Definitely was nowhere close to being my personal game of the decade.

Still excited for LOU2 though.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
One of my personal favorites and I don't think it can be argued that it's a bad choice. Understandable if someone has another choice - there's like the same 3-5 games definitely qualify.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not my pick, but I also admit I didn't exactly have some of the best experiences with the game. Poor Joel fell through the ground and crashed the game during the highly pivotal opening introduction, and I never found the stealth or combat as satisfying as I'd have liked with a lot of it being a chore.

But I can easily see why it would be someone's game of the decade, for sure. It left a powerful impression regardless of my faults with it.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's certainly a solid AAA game I guess. It's probably not even on my top 100, but I do understand that choice. It has spectacle, the controls feel nice, and the writing is okay most of the time. Even if I think most of the characters are bland and uninteresting, they still managed to make a great ending.

All of their choices are pretty obvious ones though. All of us would have guessed more or less what the top 10 would have been. So, yeah, sure.
Not even in your top 100? Dang! You must play a lot of games. Fair enough.

I love it. It's one of if not my favorite game of all time. Great choice but I totally understand if people have other choices. So many great defining games the last decade.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
ND stuff is far from goty material for me, imagine then gotd. I find TLOU and Uncharted fine popcorn games that I'm not really into.

TLOU had a huge mass appeal, so I get gamesradar pick. I would go with Dark Souls though (and TW101 as my personal favorite of the decade).

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid choice. Not sure if it would be my pick but it's definitely a top 3 contender.

I get that not everyone will agree, but come on. You've gotta admit it's a worthy contender. If you honestly can't believe how such a "terrible" game can win, then first ask yourself why you don't like nice things :P

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EDIT : "counter-cultural" holy cow hahaha
It was exacly everything that every AAA tried to make that year (like Tomb Raider), only made better.

this