• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
GamesRadar+ has created a massive, colossal list of the 100 best games of the decade. Obviously, with that many picks, the selections and placements alike will generate a lot of discussion and pushback. That said, they've got some interesting choices, including a welcome shout out to Halo Reach, which otherwise has been missing out on a lot of these retrospectives.

The top 10 are as follows. You can view the full list, as well as the writeups, on GamesRadar+ directly:
  1. The Last of Us
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Portal 2
  4. Red Dead Redemption
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  6. Mass Effect 2
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. God of War
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  10. Journey

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with these sites and only liking single player games? This decade was so multiplayer dominated, I think it's really odd.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
What is it with these sites and only liking single player games? This decade was so multiplayer dominated, I think it's really odd.

these single player sweeped the Awards during their years tough - so it makes sense to see them on these charts aswell

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rocket League at 18 is alright, it deserves to be higher tho. I think less of any publication that doesn't put it in the top 5.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I know these lists are subjective but not seeing a souls, particularly Dark, in any top ten is kinda jarring. Souls was one of the most influential games this decade.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us absolutely deserves that spot. It's such a phenomenal game with great storytelling.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I regret looking at these sort of lists on mobile because it's basically just done to see as many ads as possible.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Not great, not terrible. I can live with TLOU at number 1 (even tho it's bullshit), but Heavy Rain being in TOP 100 gives me pause. There were so many adventure games leagues better than HR this decade yet they get overlooked because Cage was given enough money for eye candy.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Not a bad list although I can't agree with AC Odyssey being above RDR2 but thats just my fanboyism.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I don't get this top 50,top 100. Its all subjective. I cant stand any japanese jrpg, games like zelda or bloodborne, darksiders type of games so for me it would never get on the list but on the other hand something like battlefield 3 would be in top 3. Its all subjective opinion. Each of this games are reccommended

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Generally, I have some problems with this list:
  • No Persona 5
  • No NieR Automata
  • Pokemon Go beats out Bloodborne...
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 is too low
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 is too low
  • No Hollow Knight
Still a fun selection overall though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I respect their opinion but I don't there's anything special about the gameplay of Last of Us, and I don't even think the story is that good, just reminds me of movies like Children of Men, The Road and occasionally the Walking Dead. The motion capture and acting is excellent however and I admit the ending was very done. But overall I just don't think it's a truly great game.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I would say I truly loved one game in that top ten (The Witcher 3). Most of the others are accomplishments that leave me cold.

Oct 25, 2017
I spent thousands of hours on Neverwinter yet I wouldn't put it anywhere near top 100 let alone 10, time spent doesn't really mean much for these lists.
KXFDUH8.png

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Yeah, but it's a site-wide list, not one person. And it's been a constant with these "games of the decade" lists. I see it as a representation problem

And yet people spend way more time in multiplayer games. Thousands of hours in MOBAs etc.

Don't know about anyone else but I personally don't equate length to quality. It took me 80 hours to get through AC Odyssey and I thought it was a really good experience. But I found Spiderman much more satisfying and overall fun despite it being 1/4 the length. Needless to say short games can make quite the impact on gaming

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Writers covering games have to do a lot of previews and reviews so they have to play a ton of games. Not a lot of time to dump into times-sink MP games like the people who love them do.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah, but it's a site-wide list, not one person. And it's been a constant with these "games of the decade" lists. I see it as a representation problem

And yet people spend way more time in multiplayer games. Thousands of hours in MOBAs etc.
As much as I like a nice genre-diverse list for these things, I think it's just a taste thing. There may be some great MP games over the past decade but of the the writers didn't like or play them then I don't see any reason for them to be included in what is, at the end of the day, just a list of opinions.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cool list.
A lot of great games on there covering different genres, regions and including great indies. Though I didn't see any visual novels, like actually zero.
I was happy to see a lot of the stuff I really love dispersed across the 100. Kinda fun to see how some my recent favorites are rearranged here.

91. Control
67. Her Story
62. Firewatch
61. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
58. Disco Elysium
50. Kentucky Route Zero
44. Return of the Obra Dinn
39. Nier: Automata
38. Night in the Woods
36. Tetris Effect
32. Outer Wilds
29. Gone Home
28. Fallout: New Vegas
20. Dark Souls
15. What Remains of Edith Finch
10. Journey

I gotta wonder if not enough people played Prey (2017) or if I just got a lot more out of it than other folks. Other notable exclusions are Ghost Trick, Deadly Premonition, and like any of the Yakuza games.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Jul 26, 2018
Denmark

The amount of time spent on a game does not necessarily correlate with one's enjoyment of it. There are few games I've spent as many hours on as I did with LoL between 2011-2013, but I don't consider it a good game, not even back when I played it was it have been anywhere near my favorite games, it was just an easy game to pick up and play with friends. Hearthstone was the same thing for me, as well as some of the worse WoW expansions.

I think with a lot of online multiplayer games it's also really difficult to rate them in comparison to singleplayer experiences. Literally the only reason I ever play a multiplayer game is to play it with friends, so do I take that and my experiences I've had with my friends into the equation, or do I just look at the game in a vacuum? Online multiplayer games are always evolving as well, so in the case of a game that regularly receives patches, do I pick the current version of the game or the version that I liked the most?

It's so much more simple to rate singleplayer games, because it's just you and the game, there are no outside factors that come in and influence the experience in a meaningful way (most of the time at least). Furthermore, a short and focused game can give you a much better time than one you might have squeezed even 10 times more hours out of. I know there are a lot of games that I've completed within 10 or maybe even 5 hours that I prefer over ones I've played for over 1000 hours.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
TW3 should be #1 and RDR2 needs to be higher. Assassin's Creed Odyssey being ahead of RDR2 is ridiculous.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Because it is a great, and hugely influential, game.
People always say this but I can't think of many games that were influenced by Skyrim in particular. Morrowind already did what it did years beforehand and it did it better.

Before you say BoTW, it is the complete antithesis to what Skyrim is so maybe it was influential in what not to do for Aonuma.