• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
GameStop Corp. GME, -13.54% shares dropped in the extended session Monday after the videogame retailer forecast same-store sales below the Wall Street consensus and said that holiday sales had dropped more than 25%. GameStop shares fell 9.8% after hours, after closing flat at $5.43 in the regular session. For the nine-week period ending Jan. 5, GameStop said global sales fell 27.5% to $1.83 billion, and same-store sales fell 24.7%.

Gamestop's response is the drop is expected prior to the next console generation coming soon, though I'm skeptical that is the full picture. Used game sales have been GameStop's bread 'n butter, but the growth of digital storefronts and F2P games is cutting into that market. From what I understand Gamestop still is in good financial standing, so I don't think they're going anywhere in the short term, but I think Gamestop needs a fundamental re-design going into the XBOX/PS5 era, as being a used game/merch junk store isn't sustainable in the long run.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope it lasts long enough for me to get deals on next-gen by trading in my XB1 and PS4

Surely it will, but dang it seems like there's bad news about Gamestop daily now

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
RIP Gamestop. I don't know how they pivot in a digital age while competing with big box B&M retailers. Maybe take a Toys 'R Us approach?

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
I just need them to stay open long enough to pre-order and pick up my Series X and PS5.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As the gaming world goes digital, there's little reason to walk into a brick-and-mortar store solely dedicated to gaming whose one competitive advantage & difference was that they buy back used games (for a fraction of what you originally paid). I can't think of any reason whatsoever to go into a Gamestop for a physical copy if there's a Target, Best Buy, etc within walking distance.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Man I hope it lasts long enough for me to get deals on next-gen by trading in my XB1 and PS4

Surely it will, but dang it seems like there's bad news about Gamestop daily now

Yeah same. I'm hoping totrade in my PS4 Pro there, and I already have credit saved. It'd be more convenient for me to get the system from them than Amazon or Best Buy. This news is especially sad for them considering they kinda threw in the kitchen sink in terms of deals - I've never seen them do a Buy 2 Get 2 Free deal, and the 4 for $10, $4 for $20, and $4 for $60 deal were pretty good, as were their BF sales. So I do kind of feel bad for them but I also start to feel like the stories o "Gamestop is bad" are really starting to catch up to them, and given how some of my own orders were treated (either buy several games and have literally half of them not come with original covers, and some come with just CD sleeves, or better yet, buy game from online store, wrong game gets sent, can't get hold of CS because 2h wait time, have to go to 3 stores to get an exchange for the correct product), it makes me not want to shop there as much. You may as well just go to eBay, pay a bit more, and get a CIB copy of whatever you want.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Just hold out until PS5 drops, then you have my permission to die.
lyVAwPO.jpg

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
They're gradually closing all stores in my country (Sweden) throughout 2020. E-commerce is pretty much killing every physical store over here. If you want to buy a game you have like 40+ online stores that sells video games and ships to your door.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
It's not good when people lose their jobs, but then this brings to mind something I saw, a lady that had no idea about anything asked someone if used WiiU's come with games, both ASSociates looked at each other, one said "usually they have some games on them yes, it varies", and the woman was pleased so she bought one. Any games "on there" would have been tied to an account and you'd be using someone else's account if they were even there, there is a higher chance the thing was formatted and had NOTHING on there. The sale happened, both morons fist bumped, I was completely disgusted. I'm sure everyone's seen this happen to poor customers.

There are so many stories though, that are awful about that awful company.

RayFoxII

Oct 25, 2017
California
Is there any reason to actually be concerned about pre-ordering a PS5/XBX at Gamestop? I was actually planning on it but this made me remember that Gamestop always seems to be on the brink of death. Maybe I'll just stick with Amazon or Best Buy, but I was looking forward to a midnight launch.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They need to go full Hypebeast on Funko Pops. Super rare drops. Exclusives. Premium collabs. Artificial scarcity.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I feel bad for the employees but I hate GameStop, they rip people off. Will buy your game for $20 then turn around and sell it for $54.99 used.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They need to survive until christmas so i can use my remaining credit on new consoles

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I've always said they need to cutback on stores and start having a larger focus on Retro gaming, but the problem with Retro gaming is there's a limited number of stock of said titles, but if they have that (and actually put games in the store, not just have a catalog like they did when I was there) and use their shipping advantage (be able to buy said game from 1 store and get it sent to you or to the store) along with Retro focused clothes, etc. instead of all this random junk they have now.

They can still do the new games, used games, etc. but start actually retrofitting the stores with a Retro focus in parts. Along with their new test stores where you can host tournaments, have systems available for people to play on, etc. There's so much they can do that could get people back in the stores, but they aren't doing them.

I know it will cost jobs which sucks, but downsizing is a must, there are just too many locations. Do fewer locations, but larger locations.

I said all of this to Paul Raines when I had a meeting with him way back when in Vegas when I was a Training Manager for GameStop and he seemed intrigued, but then nothing happened. I left the company not too long after that and left retail.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who favors physical copies of games this is saddening as they will be gone within the next cycle is my prediction.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Checked out one of the closing stores last night. They hadn't even bothered to light up the store sign.

First thing I heard entering was a customer saying "Stay up, brother." to one of the employees. Needless to say, it was a pretty bleak atmosphere decorated with Funko Pops.

AUjFrZ6.jpg

B58Mo7B.jpg

gOAdiAU.jpg

PkhLTGU.jpg

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting. The used model definitely allows for more aggressive upgrades to new hardware.

I'm curious if the loss of GameStop will affect future console sakes

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
They're gradually closing all stores in my country (Sweden) throughout 2020. E-commerce is pretty much killing every physical store over here. If you want to buy a game you have like 40+ online stores that sells video games and ships to your door.
Here in Mexico there is basically no Pros to buying games physically. They dont treat you nicely, they try to buy your new games for like 3 dollars and sell them at 50 usd, etx. They are significantly cheaper on Amazon, like 15 bucks cheaper. And digital they are usually cheaper (except Nintendo, because ofc)

Its a business model that has outlived its expiration date

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't even bother looking their deals last year. For physical games, I only shop at Bestbuy, Amazon, Target now.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Here in Mexico there is basically no Pros to buying games physically. They dont treat you nicely, they try to buy your new games for like 3 dollars and sell them at 50 usd, etx. They are significantly cheaper on Amazon, like 15 bucks cheaper. And digital they are usually cheaper (except Nintendo, because ofc)

Its a business model that has outlived its expiration date
It's not good here either. Ordered new games, got used ones. Bought used games, wrong game inside the box etc. Sucks for the people losing their jobs but as a consumer can't say I'm gonna miss it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any other places to trade in game consoles? I planned on trading my old systems in for the new ones at gamestop later this year but it seems like that wont be an option

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People rag on Gamestop, but I'll always vouch for a dedicated gaming retail store that lets me trade in physical copies and often find really good deals on used ones as well.

I almost ALWAYS spend less on games at Gamestop than I ever would have on the digital stores.

... And they do get some real good exclusive merch and even games from time to time. I was curious if they'd publish more games like Song of the Deep.
121994b1.jpg

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I wish gamestop sold those visa gift credit cards. I'd like to get my money unattached to them.

got nearly 300 dollars and I'm trying to hold on until PS5.

Last edited:

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Something else I think really hurts Gamestop is how rapidly new game prices fall now. I remember when new games stayed regular price for quite a while. Now that game prices drop so quickly, it's really made it where I don't even bother with used anymore personally.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Their net loss is MUCH lower than it was in Q3 of last year.

"GameStop's third quarter GAAP net loss was ($83.4) million, or ($1.02) per diluted share, compared to net loss of ($488.6) million, or ($4.78) per diluted share, in the prior-year quarter, which included the Spring Mobile business."

That's pretty damn good. An 83% reduction in net losses.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's not good when people lose their jobs, but then this brings to mind something I saw, a lady that had no idea about anything asked someone if used WiiU's come with games, both ASSociates looked at each other, one said "usually they have some games on them yes, it varies", and the woman was pleased so she bought one. Any games "on there" would have been tied to an account and you'd be using someone else's account if they were even there, there is a higher chance the thing was formatted and had NOTHING on there. The sale happened, both morons fist bumped, I was completely disgusted. I'm sure everyone's seen this happen to poor customers.

There are so many stories though, that are awful about that awful company.

You were so disgusted that you didn't say anything to the confused woman. 🤷‍♂️

knightmarre

Oct 27, 2017
Went into store looking for a gamestop exclusive item and they were sold out. Then one employee tells me a different employee bought them all to sell on ebay.

Oct 30, 2017
Checked out one of the closing stores last night. They hadn't even bothered to light up the store sign.

First thing I heard entering was a customer saying "Stay up, brother." to one of the employees. Needless to say, it was a pretty bleak atmosphere decorated with Funko Pops.

AUjFrZ6.jpg

B58Mo7B.jpg

gOAdiAU.jpg

PkhLTGU.jpg
Circuit City looked eerily similar when they were closing their stores.

Jul 10, 2018
In order for a business to survive, you need to be one:

*lowest prices
*do something none of your competitors do
*cater to a very specific demographic

Answers:
*hell no
*nope
*unless we consider Funkopop kids, no

This is the reward for becoming focused on selling used games as 400% of their trade-in payout.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dont think they do. I don't see how they don't run into the same fate dedicated music and movie stores did.
Someone suggested to me that they should turn almost all their retail stores into warehouses and push their online marketplace more. At the stores/warehouses, just have a desk where you can do trade-ins quickly and easily, like an Amazon drop-off office.

Though I guess you'd lose the impluse POP! purchases that way.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I lack the imagination to envision how they pivot to a sustainable business model with the increasing advancement of digital sales. Subscriptions like gamepass are another deep cut as that service continues to expand, plus streaming coming into the fold over the next few years. Hell, within 5 years I went from being anti-digital to having an all-digital library on PS4, and partly digital on Switch asides from a handful of exclusives.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I lack the imagination to envision how they pivot to a sustainable business model with the increasing advancement of digital sales. Subscriptions like gamepass are another deep cut as that service continues to expand, plus streaming coming into the fold over the next few years. Hell, within 5 years I went from being anti-digital to having an all-digital library on PS4, and partly digital on Switch asides from a handful of exclusives.
heh, if you could figure out a working pivot strategy, you'd be a shoe in as their CEO

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018

This is my main concern... lol. I just want to be able to trade in my old consoles. Does Best Buy still do trade-ins?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Someone suggested to me that they should turn almost all their retail stores into warehouses and push their online marketplace more. At the stores/warehouses, just have a desk where you can do trade-ins quickly and easily, like an Amazon drop-off office.

Though I guess you'd lose the impluse POP! purchases that way.

I don't know how sustainable that is though. Gaming may not and may never be 100% digital, but the digital market is growing. There's no growth in physical games.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The only time I ever shop at Gamestop is when they have exclusive titles. Bought Katamari Damacy Re-Roll the night before its release day at my local Gamestop as it was exclusive to them (unfortunately I didn't realize this arrangement was temporary) and I've been tempted to drop in to pick up the Ghostbusters remaster.

Otherwise there's no reason for me to really shop there. I get my games cheaper at Best Buy.

ToxicPhantom

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
As the gaming world goes digital, there's little reason to walk into a brick-and-mortar store solely dedicated to gaming whose one competitive advantage & difference was that they buy back used games (for a fraction of what you originally paid). I can't think of any reason whatsoever to go into a Gamestop for a physical copy if there's a Target, Best Buy, etc within walking distance.

You're not kidding. I enjoy going to Best Buy. You never know what you'll find. So anytime I go to BB, I always hit up the gaming area. For a good while now, the gaming area is really pathetic. So many open physical game spots that have no been stocked up. The overall set up is now sad.

As much as people hate on GameStop, I really dont wish for them to go under. I'm one of those that have gone digital, but every now and then, I do enjoy going into a box store and just look at stuff and possibly buy something.

Hope GS recovers once the new hardware launch.