• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Take this with a grain of salt since there has been no official announcement, but there's a lot of people that preordered Doom Eternal on Switch who have been receiving calls from GameStop that's saying Bethesda canceled plans to release Doom Eternal on the Switch. Here are just a few examples:

Nothing is 100% confirmed yet, and Spawn Wave does point out in a following tweet that "the original SKU/Version was cancelled or the game could just be a digital release now". Still an interesting development nonetheless.

Edit: Looks like it's still happening, just digital only.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be surprised if this turns out true TBH.

But let's wait for some official PR.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Those hoping for the Switch Pro to save games that couldn't normally run: I don't think publishers are going to put out games exclusive to a minuscule market compared to the, what, 70 million Switch devices already out there? Even Nintendo rarely did this in the past.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Found this tweet from Panic Button from two weeks ago saying it's still in development, but plans could have changed by then. They do say an update is coming soon though; It's still pretty weird that GameStop is sending a ton of calls saying it's canceled.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Those hoping for the Switch Pro to save games that couldn't normally run: I don't think publishers are going to put out games exclusive to a minuscule market compared to the, what, 70 million Switch devices already out there? Even Nintendo rarely did this in the past.
Perhaps that's what Cloud Editions are for: For OG Switches?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nothing will beat there being 2 official Doom Eternal controllers for switch if the game is indeed cancelled.
Can't recall too many times where merch comes out for a game that doesn't happen.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
possible they just removed it from their system until new news happens, feel like ive heard of this happening before at GS

but it wouldnt shock me if they decided not to do the switch version so 🤷‍♀️

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps that's what Cloud Editions are for: For OG Switches?

I can't see that turning out well. They'd also need Switch Pro only boxarts and Switch Pro only physical sections.

I'll admit to being wrong if there are any significant Switch Pro only games, but I really do not expect it.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I bet it requires a massive download, making a physical version completely ridiculous

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Found this tweet from Panic Button from two weeks ago saying it's still in development, but plans could have changed by then. They do say an update is coming soon though; It's still pretty weird that GameStop is sending a ton of calls saying it's canceled.

I think if it was canceled they wouldn't have waited this long to announce the cancelation. Also it was announced with the other versions so I would expect the game to receive Switch optimizations from the start.

Going digital Only is more likely.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
More likely at this point we just get a Switch 2 anyway. Why do a mid gen update when the gen's basically done and they're making a more concentrated effort at staying competitive while filling the handheld niche?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's coming to switch next?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It happened with DSi and new3DS.

Well, that's certainly true. I just think the scale at best will probably end up exactly like the New 3DS and DSi, with only a few titles exclusive to each.

Not counting DSiware as the DS had no parallel.

More likely at this point we just get a Switch 2 anyway. Why do a mid gen update when the gen's basically done and they're making a more concentrated effort at staying competitive while filling the handheld niche?

Switch hasn't even peaked in sales yet and Nintendo has referred to it as "just now reaching the middle of its life." It's unlikely they would release a brand new system until 3-4 years from now.

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Would suck if true but these seems like a game better suited for the PS4/Xbox/PC. I trust most of us in this site own one of those consoles along with the Switch.

For those that don't, yeah...not good.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
digital only seems possible

considering this GS stuff they should prob get whatever message they need to get out there today, especially if this is just a mistake on GS's part

sooner the better

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The person on support twitter is just going off whatever current info they have, I wouldn't read too much from that.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

they have lied through their teeth for ages

I've been calling it forever, this was always gonna happen

(and if I'm wrong I'll gladly eat a feast of crow)

Deleted member 5398

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was expected. not sure how they were gonna get it to run on the Switch without major performance problems, especially the DLC.

Oct 27, 2017
The game sounded like it would be really crazy on Switch. The game is much bigger level wise and graphically so I was shocked it was coming to Switch.

Shame if true. It would have been a really interesting port.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Panic Button are good, but they aren't miracle workers, at this point I would be very surprised if they managed to get it running acceptably on the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.