• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Well, if true, I sure hope no one reading this is learning their job is gone.

Just awful news. Doesn't matter how you feel about the company, this is terrible for their employees.
And frankly, we as a society are losing places to go. It's sad to think even a big company solely focused on a huge market can't survive.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. One of the two stores close to where I live was closed in the last bunch, wondering if the other one will get the axe too.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be one of the stores in my town for sure. Small ass town, 2 gamestops both on the same side of town within 2 minutes of each other.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
well...hopefully the one I go to isn't closed, its a 5 minutes vs 30 minute drive...it also gets good foot traffic for that reason lol

also for anyone thinking this means they are closing down completely. No, they will just keep closing stores until revenue > costs and they have a lot of redundant locations they can close

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Before people start going "it won't last a year", remember this:

Gamestop had over 5,000 locations. In comparison, locations like Best Buy have under 1,000 and Target just over 1,000. 5,000 is A LOT in a business not doing well. Bringing the number down to even 3,000 still, is still A LOT of stores. If they want to survive, they can't pay for that capacity.

OP
OP
KoopaSwitch

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
DLs are calling and sending out emails. Many DLs to be terminated as well. Can't post the link right now

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more concerned about inventory, especially when it comes to older generation stuff. What's going to happen to all of it? Private auctions?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Expected. But 700-1000 is a lot. How many total stores do they have?...

Edit: ok 5,800 stores. So 15% would be significant.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Got some good deals at the last closures. The Gamestop was even selling its fixtures and furniture.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feel for the lower level employees that are about to lose their jobs. Tough times ahead.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. In Durham we have 4 that I know of that are within about 15 min of each other and at least 2 of them never look busy.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Shame for those who lost their jobs

This looks to be the end though . All the ones near me kept closing one month after another even last week a mall i frequent has theirs close outta no where .

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017

Gamestop had over 5,000 locations. In comparison, locations like Best Buy have under 1,000 and Target just over 1,000. 5,000 is A LOT in a business not doing well. Bringing the number down to even 3,000 still, is still A LOT of stores. If they want to survive, they can't pay for that capacity.

Exactly- they need to get smaller. I think there is a viable and in-demand business still for games- its just they need fewer locations. Yeah, it might mean some might have to drive 20 minutes to their store, instead of 5-10 min, but whatever.

Its kind of crazy, really. Where I live (suburb 10 minutes out of small city), we have a store in a strip mall. Near the city itself, at the big mall area- there is a store inside the indoor mall, and one in a strip mall 2 minutes away, and another strip mall with a location 5 minutes from that. In the next town over (20-30 minutes away- there is a store inside the indoor mall, and another location in a strip mall literally across the street from the indoor mall.

Why in the hell does there need to be SIX FREAKING STORES in an area 30-40 minute drive, tops, from one end to the other?

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California

They're fucking everywhere here in Southern California, several stores (2-4) within a 10-minute drive from each other.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I think it's over at this point.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Oof that's a lot of retail jobs going away. My sympathies to anyone impacted by this ☹

Burlington, MA had about 3 of them within a 2 mile radius of each other at one point in the last 5 years. I remember the Nashua, NH mall had two on opposite ends of the mall. It's not terribly surprising they have a ton of locations and they were probably eating each other's business.

Part of this is probably due to not winding down the stores they inherited from all the mergers and acquisitions over the last two decades.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list anywhere? It sucks to be part of a layoff/reduction of any kind. Hopefully everyone ends up on their feet.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly- they need to get smaller. I think there is a viable and in-demand business still for games- its just they need fewer locations. Yeah, it might mean some might have to drive 20 minutes to their store, instead of 5-10 min, but whatever.

Its kind of crazy, really. Where I live (suburb 10 minutes out of small city), we have a store in a strip mall. Near the city itself, at the big mall area- there is a store inside the indoor mall, and one in a strip mall 2 minutes away, and another strip mall with a location 5 minutes from that. In the next town over (20-30 minutes away- there is a store inside the indoor mall, and another location in a strip mall literally across the street from the indoor mall.

Why in the hell does there need to be SIX FREAKING STORES in an area 30-40 minute drive, tops, from one end to the other?

Exactly. I just counted how many are in the Bay Area. There's 20. Some not spaced out too much either. Only 3 have closed since the last 2 rounds of closures. Just too much, especially in an area here where digital is really, really big.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'm interested in seeing the list. I work in a smallish city with two Gamestops within 3 miles of one another. One is a big spacious store (modern/nice by GS standards) by a Wal-Mart and the other is a long and narrow hole-in-the-wall kind of setup in an ancient shopping center across from the mall. I'm hoping neither closes but if one does, I hope it's the hole-in-the-wall. But the rent could be super-cheap there so who knows.