• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Keeping in mind I never told anyone they shouldn't criticize the company. I just said maybe keep the smug bloodlust for it's destruction in check and consider that the people really being screwed here aren't the rich higher ups, it's the minimum wage retail workers who already get shit on all day. Really don't think this should be a controversial statement but here we are...

This board has a strong tendency to be as cartoonishly reductive as possible when it comes to anything social/cultural/political/economic outside of playing video games. Big sweeping statements with no nuance, meme-y one-liners, and braindead Twitterese are the norm. Don't let it get to you.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The logic you are putting forwards can be used to argue that we should never want to see any big company fail, no matter what they have done. No matter how outdated their business model. No matter the greed they display.
No, the logic I am putting forward is that I truly honestly believe that the vast majority of people who get really excited at the idea of Gamestop dying are not doing it because they care about it's workers or any unethical business choices they've made. I think it's dishonest to suggest that people haven't been saying the same things they say today for the better part of a decade, just with "trade values are bad" and "they asked me to sign up for something" as the reasons. So forgive me if I don't accept the sudden wave of "support" from the people hoping thousands lose their jobs.

And, again, the main thing I've said that keeps being ignored. The rich owners of this company are going to be fine. The minimum wage workers may not be. ESPECIALLY right now. If you have an action plan to end capitalism, I'm all ears. Until then, I ask people to keep in mind that when a company goes under it's always the littlest people that pay the price, so maybe rethink what you really want to happen in this situation.

Also, as I've said before, a place like Gamestop SHOULD exist. It shouldn't be in it's current form or run by the people who currently run it, but I think a place to not only sell video game tech or games on the spot for immediate cash but also find cheap used games day of inherently helps the lower class. Not everyone can afford this hobby without it (and that's not getting into the people I see that need to sell their system for groceries or rent, which is always sad, but they don't have the time or knowledge to spend a month trying to sell them for more on ebay). It's also still ahead of the game on pre-orders, allowing people to pay games off slowly over time instead of all in one go. Other places really need to catch up on that front.

This board has a strong tendency to be as cartoonishly reductive as possible when it comes to anything social/cultural/political/economic outside of playing video games. Big sweeping statements with no nuance, meme-y one-liners, and braindead Twitterese are the norm. Don't let it get to you.
It's far from just this board. It's been the entire internet for the better part of the decade. But it does bother me more coming from here since ideally this place would be more aware of who actually gets screwed over here and keep that in mind, but I appreciate the comment.

How does it work if you pre-order a game (or forbid, a console) and your store is closing?
They get transferred to the nearest store.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And just to be clear, every single company worldwide who has done something shitty at one time or another, you are all up for their closure?
Absolutely. I want 99% of the companies on this planet to close. I also hate puppies and kittens.

Jesus, all this because I didn't give an assumed shout out to ex-employees? Would it make you feel better if I said "yeah, fuck those workers too"? I don't actually believe that, but if it'll make you feel better to be able to say you got one up on a random person on the internet, then by all means.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I want 99% of the companies on this planet to close. I also hate puppies and kittens.

Jesus, all this because I didn't give an assumed shout out to ex-employees? Would it make you feel better if I said "yeah, fuck those workers too"? I don't actually believe that, but if it'll make you feel better to be able to say you got one up on a random person on the internet, then by all means.

Nah, but random people on the internet making silly juvenile statements without a moments thought at times deserve to be called out.

Anyway, have a good day

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but random people on the internet making silly juvenile statements without a moments thought at times deserve to be called out.

Anyway, have a good day
Sick burn, homie! Glad you got that off your chest and can move on with your day, knowing that you put words in someone else's mouth to feel morally superior.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And just to be clear, every single company worldwide who has done something shitty at one time or another, you are all up for their closure?
To be clear, if you have to be so broad as to come up with rhetoric that applies to every single company worldwide to defend GameStop, maybe don't bother.

No, the logic I am putting forward is that I truly honestly believe that the vast majority of people who get really excited at the idea of Gamestop dying are not doing it because they care about it's workers or any unethical business choices they've made. I think it's dishonest to suggest that people haven't been saying the same things they say today for the better part of a decade, just with "trade values are bad" and "they asked me to sign up for something" as the reasons. So forgive me if I don't accept the sudden wave of "support" from the people hoping thousands lose their jobs.

And, again, the main thing I've said that keeps being ignored. The rich owners of this company are going to be fine. The minimum wage workers may not be. ESPECIALLY right now. If you have an action plan to end capitalism, I'm all ears. Until then, I ask people to keep in mind that when a company goes under it's always the littlest people that pay the price, so maybe rethink what you really want to happen in this situation.

Also, as I've said before, a place like Gamestop SHOULD exist. It shouldn't be in it's current form or run by the people who currently run it, but I think a place to not only sell video game tech or games on the spot for immediate cash but also find cheap used games day of inherently helps the lower class. Not everyone can afford this hobby without it (and that's not getting into the people I see that need to sell their system for groceries or rent, which is always sad, but they don't have the time or knowledge to spend a month trying to sell them for more on ebay). It's also still ahead of the game on pre-orders, allowing people to pay games off slowly over time instead of all in one go. Other places really need to catch up on that front.
I don't think it's fair to brush off criticism of GameStop as being mainly driven by 'they asked me to sign up for something'. Again, I was a GameStop employee. Do you know who wasn't remotely happy about all the shit GameStop pushed on customers? Those of us working the registers that were made to do it. That's *another* example of them treating their employees like crap. We were the front line who faced all the anger because of the predatory money hungry policies of corporate.

Yes, people have been criticizing GameStop for over a decade. GameStop have been doing shitty anti-consumer stuff, while treating their staff like shit for over a decade.

Forcing them to work during a pandemic may be the worst thing they've done, but I'm not going to apologize for rolling my eyes at someone making a 'but think about the employees' defense when this company thought *nothing* of risking the lives of their minimum wage workers, especially when doing so was literally against the law in certain jurisdictions.

GameStop have had plenty of time to change their corporate ethos. They've had plenty of time to adapt their business model to a changing marketplace. At some point it makes sense to stop hoping for it to happen, and with GameStop, I think it's fair to presume that such hopes are completely misplaced.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I don't think it's fair to brush off criticism of GameStop as being mainly driven by 'they asked me to sign up for something'. Again, I was a GameStop employee. Do you know who wasn't remotely happy about all the shit GameStop pushed on customers? Those of us working the registers that were made to do it. That's *another* example of them treating their employees like crap. We were the front line who faced all the anger because of the predatory money hungry policies of corporate.

Yes, people have been criticizing GameStop for over a decade. GameStop have been doing shitty anti-consumer stuff, while treating their staff like shit for over a decade.

Forcing them to work during a pandemic may be the worst thing they've done, but I'm not going to apologize for rolling my eyes at someone making a 'but think about the employees' defense when this company thought *nothing* of risking the lives of their minimum wage workers, especially when doing so was literally against the law in certain jurisdictions.

GameStop have had plenty of time to change their corporate ethos. They've had plenty of time to adapt their business model to a changing marketplace. At some point it makes sense to stop hoping for it to happen, and with GameStop, I think it's fair to presume that such hopes are completely misplaced.
Again I feel the need to point out that what I said was "try to keep the bloodlust and smug excitement in check because the people you want to be screwed over aren't the ones that are going to get screwed over". I've said many times since then that interpreting that as "you can't criticize gamestop" is inaccurate. That's not what I said. I criticize them several times in this very thread and the identical thread we had a few days ago.

However, I don't believe that the majority of people making memes about them closing or smugly saying they're going to be dead in a year care any more about the employee's well-being than the higher ups at the company do, because they've been saying this long before COVID put a spotlight on anything (and yes it does bother me to be used as ammunition by people who don't actually care about me). You can roll your eyes at me all you want, but I stand by everything I've said. Most of which you've chosen to ignore in every reply you've made.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If Gamestop truly wanted to stay in business. They would have gotten to work on actually evolving said business. Creating a digital game distribution platform for PC that rivaled stream. Hell. They could have also made a digital game storefront for Android, or done game rentals via subscription model. There is a tonne they could have done that they didn't.

That they didn't even try is 100% their fault and now its getting to be too late. The writing is on the wall. They won't survive this generation.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Again I feel the need to point out that what I said was "try to keep the bloodlust and smug excitement in check because the people you want to be screwed over aren't the ones that are going to get screwed over". I've said many times since then that interpreting that as "you can't criticize gamestop" is inaccurate. That's not what I said. I criticize them several times in this very thread and the identical thread we had a few days ago.

However, I don't believe that the majority of people making memes about them closing or smugly saying they're going to be dead in a year care any more about the employee's well-being than the higher ups at the company do, because they've been saying this long before COVID put a spotlight on anything. You can roll your eyes at me all you want, but I stand by everything I've said. Most of which you've chosen to ignore in every reply you've made.
I'm not going to waste time dealing with rhetoric that can be used to defend any and every corporation no matter what they've done.

I'm not going to waste time trying to 'solve capitalism' as if GameStop are ethically no different from the average corporation.

I'm not going to waste time explaining to you why 'but what about poor people that want to buy games?' isn't a great defense for a company that put its workers lives at risk just a few months ago.

Using 'but think of the staff!' to defend *GameStop* is absurd. The same staff they were telling to risk their lives and in some cases break the law, so that they could protect their bottom line?

Fuck that. Companies that treat their staff's physical wellbeing as less important than their bottom line deserve to fail. Those were my colleagues. Of course I hope they bounce back should GameStop fail.

But I'd rather see them poor than dead. So yeah. Fuck GameStop and fuck any rhetoric using my friends to stifle criticism of them.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I'm not going to waste time dealing with rhetoric that can be used to defend any and every corporation no matter what they've done.

I'm not going to waste time trying to 'solve capitalism' as if GameStop are ethically no different from the average corporation.

I'm not going to waste time explaining to you why 'but what about poor people that want to buy games?' isn't a great defense for a company that put its workers lives at risk just a few months ago.

Using 'but think of the staff!' to defend *GameStop* is absurd. The same staff they were telling to risk their lives and in some cases break the law, so that they could protect their bottom line?

Fuck that. Companies that treat their staff's physical wellbeing as less important than their bottom line deserve to fail. Those were my colleagues. Of course I hope they bounce back should GameStop fail.

But I'd rather see them poor than dead. So yeah. Fuck GameStop and fuck any rhetoric using my friends to stifle criticism of them.
You're still arguing against something I never said and in the process you're being extremely rude and condescending.

Though "I have friends that work at Gamestop" is one of the worst arguments you could have tried to use. Clearly you haven't read this entire thread. Either way, I'm not going to change my mind. I maintain that the majority of people who say "fuck Gamestop" do not care about it's workers any more than the higher ups at the company do. And I think people screaming "fuck you and your rhetoric" to anyone who says that people should consider who really gets screwed over in this instance before being quite so smug about stores closing are also not going to change their mind.

I have a right to express my feelings on this as much as people have a right to post memes about funko pops, however. Thank you very much.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
My local gamestop here in Chicago just reopened after shutting down in March then getting looted and smashed completely in June. I thought it's gone for sure since it stayed a mess for a while.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You're still arguing against something I never said and in the process you're being extremely rude and condescending.

Though "I have friends that work at Gamestop" is one of the worst arguments you could have tried to use. Clearly you haven't read this entire thread. Either way, I'm not going to change my mind. I maintain that the majority of people who say "fuck Gamestop" do not care about it's workers any more than the higher ups at the company do. And I think people screaming "fuck you and your rhetoric" to anyone who says that people should consider who really gets screwed over in this instance before being quite so smug about stores closing are also not going to change their mind.

I have a right to express my feelings on this as much as people have a right to post memes about funko pops, however. Thank you very much.
I'm not trying to change your mind.

I'm shining a light on how paper thin your rhetoric is for anyone that hasn't made their mind up. Feel free to keep posting. You absolutely have a right to present your opinion. Your arguments aren't protected from being countered.

You maintain something you have presented no proof of. You are using an argument that can be used no matter how bad a corporation is. That can be used to argue every corporation should get to stay in business.

You seem to think that pointing out that people were anti-GameStop pre Covid is some proof that they don't care about the staff. When we're talking about a company who has mistreated their staff for well over a decade. Who exploit the high number of people who want to work in a video game store, and care little to nothing about the unusually high turnover they have for retail. They exploited their customers. So many of their customers don't like them. Shock! They exploited their staff, so those of us that couldn't take it anymore don't like them. Shock!

I worked retail at GameStop for a few years. I'd moved to a new country. I didn't have many friends. Most of social group is made up of people I met through that job, even still. Think of that what you want.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Ashes of Dreams one final thing before I move on, I don't believe *you* had read the thread when you mentioned 'smug bloodlust' and complained about this thread being made. Because there hadn't been a single post along those lines in this thread at that point. You were the one telling people to keep certain opinions to themselves before anyone had even voiced such opinions.

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
When we're talking about a company who has mistreated their staff for well over a decade. Who exploit the high number of people who want to work in a video game store, and care little to nothing about the unusually high turnover they have for retail. They exploited their customers. So many of their customers don't like them. Shock! They exploited their staff, so those of us that couldn't take it anymore don't like them. Shock!
Yep, all true. I agree with all of that. I have myself said several times on this board and in this very thread, that the company treats it's workers like shit. I never defended them. I never said people shouldn't criticize them. You have put words in my mouth several times in this conversation.

You are using an argument that can be used no matter how bad a corporation is. That can be used to argue every corporation should get to stay in business.
Well, I'll be honest, I've never seen anyone act towards any corporation the way internet gamers act towards Gamestop. Again, what I said is maybe keep the smug bloodlust in check over some routine store closures when I see everyone salivating over the prospect of the company going under. However, I do think that Gamestop provides a service that is worthwhile to some people. I would be very willing to have a conversation about what kind of changes could made to the company to fix the problems while keeping both the jobs for workers and service for customers. But the two truths stopping that conversation is that people don't want to have that conversation and capitalism is too good at chewing up and spitting out workers that the conversation would be purely hypothetical anyway.

So what would Gamestop closing down actually accomplish? The rich execs would be fine, they always are. They aren't going to be punished for what they did. It's only going to be the workers and the costumers who get properly screwed over. So what's the goal here? I feel like your passion would be better directed at solving the larger problems that allow this situation to get to where it is. But, again, I am coming from the perspective of Gamestop closing wouldn't actually solve any problem. Minimum wage retail workers would still be treated like shit while rich execs still exploit them. If you want to view my argument as "every corporation should get to stay in business", I can't stop you, but that's not the intent behind it.

You maintain something you have presented no proof of.
You seem to think that pointing out that people were anti-GameStop pre Covid is some proof that they don't care about the staff.
My proof is how I'm treated. Both by people who shop in the store and people who want to shit on Gamestop on the internet for stupid things like trade prices and funko pops. If you're going to pretend that the "smug bloodlust" has never existed on this subject, then you simply haven't experienced the things I have. If you're going to call me a liar, then I maintain that you've been consistently rude and condescending throughout this. And I didn't complain about this thread being made. I made a comment about how people talk about this subject because it bothers me. But it sounds like you're done and want to move on, so be it.

Edit: I think the problem is you assumed up front that I was trying to defend and shill for Gamestop and you put words in my mouth and misread my argument to justify arguing against that. My tone has always been one of a tired minimum wage retailer worker tired of getting shit on from every direction that doesn't want to see people I care about without a job during the 2020 pandemic. And one who is tired of seeing people say "lol funko pops, close em down" when there's more going on and more at stake than that. If anyone has an actual solution that addresses the problem other than "get a better job", I'm all ears. Until then, I do fully believe most people are just watching and cheering on a trainwreck.

Last edited: