• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Switch did well for GameStop in 2017. In the retailer's latest financial results, Nintendo's console was mentioned as a big factor for driving sales. For the fourth quarter, GameStop's hardware sales increased 44.8%, which was led by demand for Switch. And for fiscal 2017 as a whole, hardware sales rose 28.3% – again thanks to Switch.

Ceo Mauler on whether attachment would increase as install base would increase.
"Yeah, I think that's a fair question with Nintendo. I mean we know kind of what happened with Wii U. I'd say this is definitely a whole different platform than we saw in the past. We have visibility to the software. So last year was a tremendous year for the software, as well as hardware between Zelda and Mario Odyssey and all the games that they had really drove a lot of hardware sales, as well as software.

I think this year when we look at the slate of titles, many of which haven't been announced yet, this year looks also very, very strong. So I think, at least, for 2018, we'll continue to see the strong software slate drive additional installed base on the hardware and increase attach rate. We don't have really visibility for 2019 yet, but for 2018 it should play out that way."

https://nintendoeverything.com/gamestop-expecting-2018-to-be-another-big-year-for-switch/

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not saying the Switch won't have a big year, but isn't it in their best interests to say that about all of their products?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the fiscal year ends up being...
    • August: Yoshi
    • September: Smash
    • October: NSMBU port (rumored)
    • November: Pokémon
    • December: Fire Emblem
    • February or March: Animal Crossing
I considered putting Animal Crossing in February & Metroid Prime 4 in March, but having the 2 in close proximity to one another could be considered overkill.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Of course they do, Gamestop are wish they looking stars the Switch continues to blow becase games as a service and the rise of digital are wreaking havoc on their business.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying the Switch won't have a big year, but isn't it in their best interests to say that about all of their products?

Yes. It's basically a message from GameStop Corp. to the City and their investors. They said the same thing when the PS4 and XBO came out. How the new systems are driving growth etc.

Oct 25, 2017
So far I haven't seen it with the line up. It's been a desert since January and is going to be that way for me until July. It will do well of course when smash comes out. Mario King 9 needs to come out im ready for a sequel kart game

Oct 25, 2017
So far I haven't seen it with the line up. It's been a desert since January and is going to be that way for me until July. It will do well of course when smash comes out. Mario King 9 needs to come out im ready for a sequel kart game
Mario Kart 9 isn't happening this generation. At best you'll get more Mario Kart 8 courses, which would just be overkill at this point.

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
Not gonna be as big as 2017, but if Pokemon is realeasing this year with Smash Bros, then its probably gonna overcome last year. Wasnt it Kimishimas goal to reach 20 million units sold this year or something?

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I considered putting Animal Crossing in February & Metroid Prime 4 in March, but having the 2 in close proximity to one another could be considered overkill.

If Nintendo release 'Animal Crossing' in this timeframe, they will not choose March but April instead. Because of the Japanese Golden Week.

Same reason because they have choose April for their most important release in the first half of this year, LABO.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
It is actually an interesting thing, the Switch has been incredibly dry this year. We had Kirby but that wasn't anything huge. June with Mario Tennis and July with Octopath seem like the next "big things" but JRPGs are niche and so is Mario Tennis. Technically their biggest things would be the unannounced Pokemon and Smash until Q4 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
An NSMBU port of the FIRST Wii U game instead of a new one 5 years later?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna know where Pikmin is. Apparently it was almost done years ago...

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon alone is going to make the Switch explode, and we're getting Smash Bros on top of that, so yes it will be quite a big year.

Oct 29, 2017
I think this year when we look at the slate of titles, many of which haven't been announced yet, this year looks also very, very strong.

This is the only real news here. We know Switch is selling in a way that Wii U wasn't, so that's good for Gamestop but not actually news. Gamestop knowing about unrevealed titles that will drive hardware sales though, that's at least interesting.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
People who don't already own the switch don't already own those games though, so it's not a desert to them

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Either they know something we don't or it's just typical PR. 2018 is feeling like a below average WiiU year right now. Lots of $60 B tier games that also failed to move the needle when WiiU was getting "a big $60 game" every month. Because a 5-10 hour 2D platformer has just as much value as a 80 hour grand adventure with dozens of interlocking systems in play, right Nintendo? A real mainline Pokemon game is pretty much the only thing that would make 2018 a good software year imo.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I am curious if he has insider info or not, because although I agree that they will deliver on the fall first party wise -they have tpoif they wanna hit hit their target- third parties have been empty promises for the most part. Also the first four months are very empty major games wise, they drop the ball so hard.

I will believe it when I see it. Fortunately Level 5 is all in and we are getting Ace Attorney, so there is that.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited about those unannounced Switch games. What does the term 'visibility' mean in this context?

Pokemon alone is going to make the Switch explode, and we're getting Smash Bros on top of that, so yes it will be quite a big year.

Whyyy oh why have people convinced themselves that Pokemon is definitely coming this year?? Setting yourself up for disappointment. It's been neither announced nor reliably rumoured for this year.

Well...... 8 is perfect so I guess I'll have to deal with more quality

This made me chuckle.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I think this year when we look at the slate of titles, many of which haven't been announced yet, this year looks also very, very strong.

This is interesting. It's been a fairly quiet year so far in terms of announcements so they must have some much bigger guns ready to rollout.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is..will Pokemon be out this year? Or is it a 2019 game? You're right. Pokemon would make the switch explode but we don't even have a trailer or an official release date for the game yet.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So, they say they have "visibility" into the lineup. I wonder what that means: just that they know some games that are soon to be announced because the publishers communicated with them for the provision of units or that they actually know Nintendo's full plan for the year? In the latter case, this comment is quite weighty: it means that there's something coming for the year that could make it stand up to 2017, which requires at least one megaton game like Pokémon or Animal Crossing. I do expect one of those to come, and the Gamestop comment does help in that belief (although I am aware that it's their MO to be very positive about future lineups to encourage positivity in their investors, so I do have some reservation).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No way animal crossing will come out in february or march. Prime 4 also won't come out then. If anything I could see Pikmin also being announced at e3, or at a later direct and coming out at the early game. Animal crossing will be April or probably May. Prime 4 later. Or they just might have an empty first few months like this year.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's talking about sales of the console which continues to be very good and consistent in these two months of the year, not what you think about the lineup since this isn't relevant for the sales and to the other consumers. And of course, he knows what titles Nintendo have for the rest of the year.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited about those unannounced Switch games. What does the term 'visibility' mean in this context?

Whyyy oh why have people convinced themselves that Pokemon is definitely coming this year?? Setting yourself up for disappointment. It's been neither announced nor reliably rumoured for this year.

This made me chuckle.

It's absolutely reliably rumored, in fact it may as well be definitive as the leakers of many Sun/Moon details and such have outright cleanly stated it's a 2018 holiday release. The Pokemon rumor thread isn't one of the biggest threads on Era for no reason, we've actually been finding things out.

There's very very little room for doubt here. I fully expect it to be revealed within a month.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No offense to Gamestop, and this is positive thinking to throw the Switch's way... but can't say I trust in the opinion of a company who is struggling to stay alive.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

December FE would something. Is there precedence for that?
I always assumed it'd be earlier, Like October.
Maybe NSMBU doesn't need it's own month since it's a port. The one thing with NSMBU is they don't want it to be next to Yoshi I assume.
So far this year we have Kirby in March, DK in May, Yoshi in H2, and NSMBU in H2. I could see Yoshi in August and NSMBU in November.

I feel like I'm the only one not sold on pokemon but apparently there's mounting evidence...

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely reliably rumored, in fact it may as well be definitive as the leakers of many Sun/Moon details and such have outright cleanly stated it's a 2018 holiday release. The Pokemon rumor thread isn't one of the biggest threads on Era for no reason, we've actually been finding things out.

There's very very little room for doubt here. I fully expect it to be revealed within a month.

Sources then? And sources more reliable than random forum posts or 4chan threads.

Also, if you've been finding out reliable rumours on the Pokemon thread, why haven't they made their way to the official Switch rumour thread?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Currently the known titles for H2 or 2019 are
Yoshi
Smash
Pokemon
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Octopath Traveler
Captain Toad port

There are also rumours of Super Mario Bros U and Animal Crossing. So I think Animal Crossing and Mario bros U will be revealed soon (E3 or even earlier).

July: Captain Toad, Octopath Traveler
August: Yoshi
September: Smash
October: Fire Emblem
November: Pokemon
December:

Prime 4?
Mario ?
Animal Crossing ?

Prime 4 ?
Mario ?
Animal Crossing ?

Seems like a very strong lineup for 2018 and H1 2019 even if you shuffle stuff around. There might be more ports or mid tier titles announced for 2018 like Pikmin or other Wii U ports (Mario 3D World?)

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feel like switch will become a bigger factor in their business especially with PS4/X1 releases sometimes reaching 50% digital. Ultimately gamestops days as a primarily videogame retailer are numbered.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
I should hope so if I were GameStop. Right now, Nintendo is the only console maker that is physical friendly among the big three. I bet GameStop sang hallelujah when the size of the internal hard drive of the Switch was revealed.
Microsoft pretty much broke up with GameStop when it announced Xbox Game Pass and Sony's digital discount is so aggressive that it could often compete with Steams. Nintendo is GameStop's best bet right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
Please lock if old or spoken about or a shitty post. I'm new to this lol

Speaking during the company's earnings call, Mauler said:

We know what happened with the Wii U. I'd say this is definitely a whole different platform that we saw in the past. We have visibility to the software... So, last year was a tremendous year for their software as well as hardware, between Zelda and Mario Odyssey and all the games that they had, it really drove a lot of hardware sales as well as software. I think, this year, when we look at the slate of titles -- many of which haven't been announced yet -- this year looks also very, very strong. So, I think, at least for 2018, we'll continue to see the strong software slate drive additional install based on the hardware and increase attach rate. We don't have, really, visibility for '19 yet, but for '18, it should play out that way.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...les_will_help_switch_to_very_very_strong_2018

I guess we all know there is a lot of stuff that is still to be announced but this does somewhat excite me even more knowing there is still so much stuff to make it a Bigger year than the first :)

Last edited: