• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 25, 2020
There are some seriously pissed off rich assholes over at Melvin Capital right now and I love the thought of it. Their entire business model was put on blast by a bunch of Reddit nobodies just because they noticed their shorts and felt like screwing them.

Karma is a bitch ain't it. It took 12 years to arrive, but it always catches up.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So what exactly does this mean? I only bought 2 AMC shares, so it's whatever, but can I not sell them or something?
No impact in you. It's only for people looking to open new positions on options. Buying shares isn't impacted.

Of course they only said us plebs can't open them, but the hedge funds can

Expect the other firms to follow robinhoods lead by open tomorrow

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies, he seems very confidant and happy in his instagram stories. I for one haven't yet engaged myself with the stock market and know next to nothing about it; I want to say something but at the sametime I don't know what to say other than...good luck? Wishing the best? Like I can understand throwing a couple hundred into something like this on a whim but 8k is insane; especially if you're in the service industry (e.g. Bartender). I mean you make quite a bit but we've been living in a global pandemic for over a year; our industry has been absolutely hammered. Just thinking about it gives me crazy anxiety and I have no idea how he's just so cavalier about this; blissful ignorance? S H I T.

Last edited:

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Is it too late to buy some stock or whatever? I've no idea how stocks even work, lol
I'll just keep quoting this post:
Only spend money you can afford losing.
It's never too late to gamble! But if you really want to get on GameStop it's looking risky as shit right now.
Thanks for the replies, he seems very confidant and happy in his instagram stories. I for one haven't yet engaged myself with the stock market and know next to nothing about it; I want to say something but at the sametime I don't know what to say other than...good luck? Wishing the best? Like I can understand throwing a couple hundred into something like this on a whim but 8k is insane;
Yeah if he's gonna just toss the money with that attitude eh not sure what you can do. 8k might not be insane to him, that's chump change to some people...
especially if you're in the service industry (e.g. Bartender). I mean you make quite a bit but we've been living in a global pandemic for over a year; our industry has been absolutely hammered. Just thinking about it gives me crazy anxiety and I have no idea how his just so cavalier about this; blissful ignorance? S H I T.
Ohhh boy. Uh hope he's in one of those bars that gets ridiculous tips and is in an area with limited lockdowns. If it tanks hopefully it scares him early so he cuts whatever losses pretty quickly.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
isn't gamestop not gonna go much higher though? What was this about AMC? Excuse the dumb questions, I just have literally no knowledge about anything related to stocks lol

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
We honestly don't know what GME will do. It really depends on who buys, how many hold and if the hedge funds try to cover their short positions within the next day or two.

I think if everyone holds. There really isn't enough volume traded daily for them to cover in anything less than another full trading week. So even with all these Robinhood shenanigans to try to improve the daily volume for trade. as long people hold, it should grow.

Disclaimer: This is not financial advice

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Got a little of GME last week, goodness the gains... Makes me wish I had dropped 10k+ but hey, hindsight. Seeing a lot of people posting million dollar + gains, I'd be shitting my dacks and selling haha The main diamond handed fucker over on WSB is sitting around 11 million I think, mad man.

Do Nokia and Blackberry actually have upcoming projects / contracts or their prices just being memed up?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aren't there a lot that expire on friday, so they have to cover soon?
From what I understand (not an expert), they still have enough next week. Their goal is to get people to exit their positions beforehand and lower the price back to reality. For them to lose and the stock to rocket even higher than its already ludicrous price, many retail investor peasants will need to hold their positions until then. The million dollar question is whether that will happen. There will likely be some major dips in the share price tomorrow and Friday.

Then again, maybe not. We're in uncharted territory here.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
So there's no chance I'll be able to buy anything in the morning if I just made a Robinhood account, right? I have no idea how any of this works but I hate I missed out on so much.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Disclaimer: I only know what I read about this in the last few days.

Seems like the big short is still on and there's not enough shares on the market to close it. The Melvin short is about 20m shares and Game Spot only has 3 times that amount of shares all in all. So they can't close right now with too little shares openly available and them not being in the predicted price range at that. If people hold, the price will rise and potentially high.
On top of that, the shorts that are open have time to close between 6 to 7 days. So from my understanding they are not able to close it all on Friday but it will take the better of next week to close everything they have. So that means the stock could take off on Friday and stay up for a few days. IF people hold for that long.

I'm not in the financial business and I have not experience with these things, so this could all be wrong. Don't bet your life savings at a point like this. This is unprecedented. It's exciting for sure, but it could all crash down just as fast. And add to that a billion dollar company with billion dollar Wall Street friends might find a way to fuck everyone over in this (bribes, politics, whatever).

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will start by saying I'm no expert nor am I giving advice. Most of this reply will be based on stuff I've been cramming into my smooth brain over the past 3 days.

aren't there a lot that expire on friday, so they have to cover soon?
Only some do. The big thing with GME is that the short positions exceeded the number of available shares so in the event of a short squeeze the demand would far exceed the supply. If Melvin, for example, covers their expiring position(s) and a bunch of people sell then that may drop the stock to the point where it isn't over 100% shorted. There would be a spike but then a huge drop off. If everyone holds their position then it will keep happening over and over as the hedge funds try to exit their short positions. If they don't and there's a sell off then the stock craters and the remaining short positions win.

I think if everyone holds. There really isn't enough volume traded daily for them to cover in anything less than another full trading week. So even with all these Robinhood shenanigans to try to improve the daily volume for trade. as long people hold, it should grow.

Disclaimer: This is not financial advice
I don't know enough to speak to how long it'll take. I did see the post on WSB about it and there were enough detailed comments explaining why that very well may not be the case and it's close to 1-2 days.

That's the problem here. People want to know specifics when this all hinges on an uncoordinated group of people not losing their nerve when they see big numbers going up and down. In a lot of cases its people's first time on the bull and they're bound to get spooked out of their position which is exactly what the hedge funds are banking on.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in the financial business and I have not experience with these things, so this could all be wrong. Don't bet your life savings at a point like this. This is unprecedented. It's exciting for sure, but it could all crash down just as fast. And add to that a billion dollar company with billion dollar Wall Street friends might find a way to fuck everyone over in this (bribes, politics, whatever).
They're already working at that. TDA already had restrictions on trading GME and AMC and now Robinhood has removed the ability to buy weeklies for GME.

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
Whatever you do, if you own any of these stocks, hold hold hold until the hedge funds go belly up. Personal profit is secondary, the destruction of these hedge funds is what matters right now.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They're already working at that. TDA already had restrictions on trading GME and AMC and now Robinhood has removed the ability to buy weeklies for GME.

Imagine if Robinhood goes down on Friday for "some time" during a spike - it might spook enough people into selling.

Whatever you do, if you own any of these stocks, hold hold hold until the hedge funds go belly up. Personal profit is secondary, the destruction of these hedge funds is what matters right now.

This is not the case for all of the people that went into this with their live savings. Which I'm afraid are a lot more than should have entered this thing.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Robinhood goes down on Friday for "some time" during a spike - it might spook enough people into selling.
RH takes shits daily on normal volume. I'm expecting some serious issues Friday. I wouldn't buy anything on Robinhood right now that you're not comfortable holding until next week.

May 27, 2020
It's just a matter of who blinks first at this point, and the hedge funds will be pretty confident that an uncoordinated mass of people, many of whom are novice investors who've probably gone in deeper than they can afford to and/or who've accrued more wealth than they'd ever dreamed will get the jitters and dump soon. The next few days are going to be fascinating - it could be the catalyst that changes everything, or just be another blip that's forgotten about in a few months.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just in this thread to announce that on Friday, I wil be shorting $20,000 worth of Gamestop shares.

Thank you.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
It's just a matter of who blinks first at this point, and the hedge funds will be pretty confident that an uncoordinated mass of people, many of whom are novice investors who've probably gone in deeper than they can afford to and/or who've accrued more wealth than they'd ever dreamed will get the jitters and dump soon. The next few days are going to be fascinating - it could be the catalyst that changes everything, or just be another blip that's forgotten about in a few months.
Honestly fuck them for all the shit they're pulling including robinhood. Praying reddit and the crowd holds.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
idk, feel like if you can buy a share buy one share, buy one share. more about punishing hedge funds than making money at this point lol
but maybe youll make money?

Yōkai_0h-No

Nov 20, 2018
Is it possible for GME to crash due to people panic selling and then rise again as more new people want to get on the train?

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Do Nokia and Blackberry actually have upcoming projects / contracts or their prices just being memed up?

I heard, (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Apple has decided to enter the automobile business (car operating system side). Apple's engineers are working in an Apple office in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata, about a five-minute walk from QNX ( a leading automotive software company owned by BlackBerry). So, some speculate Apple will end up buying BlackBerry, not only for their talent (quite a few engineers where recently hired from QNX) but because of the many patents BlackBerry owns. I heard from the same people, that buying BB shares is a smart investment (not just a meme).

About Nokia, Idk, probably for the memes? I really don't have any clue.
Could also be because people see as a potential to be "short squeezed" (just read that, I barely understand the concept.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard, (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), Apple has decided to enter the automobile business (car operating system side). Apple's engineers are working in an Apple office in the Ottawa suburb of Kanata, about a five-minute walk from QNX ( a leading automotive software company owned by BlackBerry). So, some speculate Apple will end up buying BlackBerry, not only for their talent (quite a few engineers where recently hired from QNX) but because of the many patents BlackBerry owns. I heard from the same people, that buying BB shares is a smart investment (not just a meme).

Hope so. Just bought $500

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Not sure if this is right, but the short float is now 292? Are these bastards tripledowning???

www.gurufocus.com

GME (GameStop) Float Percentage Of Total Shares Outstanding

GME (GameStop) Float Percentage Of Total Shares Outstanding as of today (April 01, 2024) is 87.79%. Float Percentage Of Total Shares Outstanding explanation, c

" Short Percentage of Float is the percentage of shares shorted compared to the float. As of today, GameStop's Short Percentage of Float is 292.53%. "

They're really gonna try and beat reddit and cover their shorts. Holy. And with help from their buddies/RH/TD trying to mitigate us.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the replies, he seems very confidant and happy in his instagram stories. I for one haven't yet engaged myself with the stock market and know next to nothing about it; I want to say something but at the sametime I don't know what to say other than...good luck? Wishing the best? Like I can understand throwing a couple hundred into something like this on a whim but 8k is insane; especially if you're in the service industry (e.g. Bartender). I mean you make quite a bit but we've been living in a global pandemic for over a year; our industry has been absolutely hammered. Just thinking about it gives me crazy anxiety and I have no idea how he's just so cavalier about this; blissful ignorance? S H I T.
the story here is that some rich guys called hedgefunds have burrowed and sold shares they dont own because they thought by the time they would have to give those back the shares would be worth even less. so much as a collective that it is 140% of the available stocks. now they have to give the stocks back and are scrambling to find shares. people that buy and hold will have to wait until the due date and the funds will be contractually obligated to buy whatever the price says. if that happens millions of shares will be bought at once. this will trigger a chain reaction because everyone that had expiration dates after it may sell as well to prevent further losses.

at the moment it is the calm before the storm (yeah the calm looks like 140% in a day) . dont see this as financial advice.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
BlackRock is the world's largest asset manager, with $8.67 trillion in assets under management as of January 2021.
Edit: Just as an example of the size of some hedge funds.
So this is bad advice. I don't see any hedge fund going belly up because defiant retail investors.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is right, but the short float is now 292? Are these bastards tripledowning???

www.gurufocus.com

GME (GameStop) Float Percentage Of Total Shares Outstanding as of today (April 01, 2024) is 87.79%. Float Percentage Of Total Shares Outstanding explanation, c

" Short Percentage of Float is the percentage of shares shorted compared to the float. As of today, GameStop's Short Percentage of Float is 292.53%. "

They're really gonna try and beat reddit and cover their shorts. Holy. And with help from their buddies/RH/TD trying to mitigate us.
so in otherwords this wilk go to the moon. the stock price will explode even more when the hedgefunds fail.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Just as an example of the size of some hedge funds.
So this is bad advice. I don't see any hedge fund going belly up because defiant retail investors.
black rock owns 6% of gamestop. they will profit handsomelyhttps://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/blackrock-gamestop-stock-price-investment-gain-day-traders-reddit-2021-1-1030009270

but not a bad thing because they will probably do the same thing as the retailers do (or they may help out their competitors... i dont know)

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Could also be because people see as a potential to be "short squeezed" (just read that, I barely understand the concept.)
Nokia because of 5G
they are a 5G infrastructure company. one of the competitors to huawei.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Got a little of GME last week, goodness the gains... Makes me wish I had dropped 10k+ but hey, hindsight. Seeing a lot of people posting million dollar + gains, I'd be shitting my dacks and selling haha The main diamond handed fucker over on WSB is sitting around 11 million I think, mad man.

Thinking about those big ass gains makes me think of the tax implications come tax time (basically half in California) or if they're doing tax deferral tricks.

Anyway BB has automotive stuff. They got QNX a while back, which afaik is basically in every car these days (if it has CarPlay/Android Auto support), and they've been making some automotive deals recently with Amazon AWS and Baidu. Personally they fit my criteria for taking a chance on a stock long term because of QNX and shift to automotive: it's cheap stock and they're pretty ubiquitous. They could get pumped up and dumped soon (for better or worse), but there's actual potential there long term among the craziness.

Nokia is...no clue, I just picked up a bit cause they're cheap. They have cellular patents and if they can shift their value into a key patent/tech supplier or something there might be something there with the 5G rollout over time. (edit: what the above guy said)
So there's no chance I'll be able to buy anything in the morning if I just made a Robinhood account, right? I have no idea how any of this works but I hate I missed out on so much.
There's always opportunities, just...not as crazy as this has been.

Again, insert the usual gambling caveat here.
Is it possible for GME to crash due to people panic selling and then rise again as more new people want to get on the train?
I mean...it kinda already happened today (well yesterday now), the high and low spread today was over 100 points. Decent chance tomorrow is crazier. I'm really curious to see the effect of the trading companies limiting action on it. Whatever the case I'm staying the hell out of the way (...unless it tanks really low, enough that I can buy a decent amount with leftover money).

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

www.gurufocus.com

I'm pretty sure they're banking on the idea of the unorganised masses taking their gains and bouncing tomorrow to crash the price.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're banking on the idea of the unorganised masses taking their gains and bouncing tomorrow to crash the price.

That's been their play all week. Use their friends in the media to make retail investors scared. Tank the price. So far it's been incredibly interesting to watch unfold.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's been their play all week. Use their friends in the media to make retail investors scared. Tank the price. So far it's been incredibly interesting to watch unfold.
but at the end if on friday millions of shares must be bought at any price whatsoever the price will soar right? Is it the best to put in a sell order (say 5000 USD lol) or should i just manually sell on friday?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017

It looks more like headhunting by Apple. They did the same thing with Apple Maps by building a team in Berlin headhunting for staff from Here Technologies who are Industry leading (not sure about that).
However, for some reason it looks like the new goldrush started.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Is it the best to put in a sell order (say 5000 USD lol) or should i just manually sell on friday?

I'm putting in an order for sure. The chance that you put an order in and it gets denied due to "technical issues" when shit hits the fan is almost guaranteed on some platforms. Even yesterday I couldn't make an order via the app/web interface all day after the US markets opened.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm putting in an order for sure. The chance that you put an order in and it gets denied due to "technical issues" when shit hits the fan is almost guaranteed on some platforms. Even yesterday I couldn't make an order via the app/web interface all day after the US markets opened.
what price? this is incredibly hard to predict... damn. VW had a 1000 per share price when the short squeeze happened. The equivalent marketcap would propell Gamestop share price to 20000 USD. however this was not a short squeeze that was widely known beforehand.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
what price? this is incredibly hard to predict... damn. VW had a 1000 per share price when the short squeeze happened. The equivalent marketcap would propell Gamestop share price to 20000 USD. however this was not a short squeeze that was widely known beforehand.

I've had a 1000 order standing for a while now. Not that I expected it to hit already, but still. But depending on what happens I'll probably create a lower one (or maybe higher... maybe....) later today or tomorrow. Like you said, incredibly hard to predict.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What's the deal with 3 day wait to transfer funds into wealthsimple? I can understand 24 hours but three days. Taking out a couple hundred from tens of thousands shouldn't be a big deal.

BlackBerry just partnered with a Chinese car company. Not sure apple can just come in and give everyone apple shirts. Someone who's investigated this further might be able to comment.