• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Biden moving at record speed; Unity incoming

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I can't say that this isn't beautiful.

c5c94uups3e61.jpg

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive it's still rebounding even though basically every retail investor is unable to buy in. If RH or another brokerage opens it back up it will get really crazy.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Up to ~$240 now.

Ha!

Think of it this way. Someone that isn't an accredited investor (provides some legal cover and opens up what you can do) trades on margin and dabbles in options that they shouldn't be. Said brokerage allowed this to happen without appropriate risk management in place or approvals. Said person loses $150K. RH now needs to collect that from you. You file for BK or refuse to pay etc.... the other side of the trade is looking for payment. RH says the person can't pay, other side says why and they say they don't have the money. The other side said why were they trading in this manner? RH shrugs? Other side of the trade demands payment from RH or is forced to chase down collection.
That makes sense, but doesnt most of these trading platforms require payment upfront for people to do the trading? So if customer lose big, the trading platform (e.g RH) already have that money.

So they stopped trading after the stock had gone down a lot? Stoping trades before the market opened sucked, but at least then there wasnt a big drop yet. Stopping new trades after the drop has happened naturally makes it harder for the stock price to go up again, and that really sucks :\

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
when after hour open this will blow up when people from other countries have no restriction. Remember that if you hold shorts can't cover regardless so don't sell if you don't have to.

*edit* if you don't understand why the price tanked, read this. It's an all out attack, a hail marry, by hedge funds.

teseR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who opened an account at just about any broker. They tell you in plain language that they can restrict your account for basically any reason, and can restrict buying and selling of certain securities at their discretion.

That's not what I meant. Way to miss the point. I meant the back and forth selling between hedge funds to trick algorthims. Sounds pretty sketchy to me.

Regarding your point: I get that but abusing your own ToS in this case is market manipulation, nothing else.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The pure volume of people watching as the system is overtly rigged in real time is going to be more damaging to them than letting a few hedge funds go bankrupt (and then get quietly bailed out).

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There' s no rational reason for them to own your first born. There is plenty of valid reason for them to be able to restrict stock purchases.

They should explain why they allowed stock purchases until today.They must had made crazy money when they were selling millions and millions of orders and seemingly the risk was there as it's now.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A TOS doesn't make them legally in the clear. They could've wrote in that they own your first born now if they wanted.

It says that they can restrict trading on anything at their choice.

RH is looking at its potential losses here and I assume they are staggering as most of the people with the highest risk have the lowest ability to pay.

People loved trading on RH because they had almost no risk management procedures. I mean you can literally pay to get access to the riskiest strats.

Anyone remember the RH infinite leverage setup?

https://banyanhill.com/robinhood-infinite-leverage-money-cheat-code/

Any real brokerage would never have allowed this to exist.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
I was able to buy Blackberry through Vanguard half an hour ago. Haven't tried the others, didn't have free money left in my account and would take days to transfer in tradable funds.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Likely easiest to do an initial pullback completely and block the stock rather than bifurcating what can be done.

Almost all of the volume has been institutional money the past two weeks. Especially at these price levels. The actual retail trading volumes are incredibly low here.

This always has been HFs trading amongst themselves. When GME peaked at $20B of daily trading value the other day, I assume retail was somewhere less than $1B of that.
Yes, it's likely IMO that the Cohen announcement caused HFs to look at Gamestop stock again and go, "Wait... its short % is WHAT?" and once the stock price went past a certain point realized that it was time to eat Melvin and crew alive for lunch.

We can see from the way the stock is rising again that this is indeed mostly professional investors. Early they saw the stock was lowering but they knew what was up and were just waiting for the stock to bottom out before buying again. If this was driven by more casual investors the stock would likely still be snowballing, but we can see that most of the people investing ATM are likely just waiting for the squeeze to happen.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who opened an account at just about any broker. They tell you in plain language that they can restrict your account for basically any reason, and can restrict buying and selling of certain securities at their discretion.

True, they have the right to do it when it comes to the T&C that users agree to. But is manipulating a stock price by broadly restricting volume okay for them to do legally? I think that's a different question outside the scope of the T&C. (I don't have anywhere near the kind of financial or legal knowledge to know, personally.)

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer trader and the sunshine yolo'er will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Wall Street, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as TENDIES should not be highly rated.

W1SSY

Oct 28, 2017
Starships were meant to fly
Hands up and touch the sky
Can't stop 'cause we're so high
Let's do this one more time, oh

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
It says that they can restrict trading on anything at their choice.

RH is looking at its potential losses here and I assume they are staggering as most of the people with the highest risk have the lowest ability to pay.

People loved trading on RH because they had almost no risk management procedures. I mean you can literally pay to get access to the riskiest strats.

Anyone remember the RH infinite leverage setup?

https://banyanhill.com/robinhood-infinite-leverage-money-cheat-code/

Any real brokerage would never have allowed this to exist.

Multiple cases where a TOS does not hold up in court.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
That's not what I meant. Way to miss the point. I meant the back and forth selling between hedge funds to trick algorthims. Sounds pretty sketchy to me.

Regarding your point: I get that but abusing your own ToS in this case is market manipulation, nothing else.
no need to get sassy with me, young man (or woman). I misunderstood the point you were making, no biggie.
True, they have the right to do it when it comes to the T&C that users agree to. But is manipulating a stock price by broadly restricting volume okay for them to do legally? I think that's a different question outside the scope of the T&C. (I don't have anywhere near the kind of financial or legal knowledge to know, personally.)
It happens all the time, at many different brokers. This is not new.