• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
OK really dumb question but there is nothing illegal about this, right? lmao

my bro and I are thinking about going splitsies to gamble on some AMC stock just to get in on some of this madness.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I'm in on BB although for long term, as they actually look like a reasonable investment. But if it actually gets pumped, bonus!
Same, picked up a few cause QNX and the automotive stuff. Cheap enough to dump some money in and see what happens. If it gets pumped hey neat...although I'm not a day trader type so decent chance it jumps and settles back down without me noticing, or not caring enough to try to maximize profits. I just hold on to crap for years.

(One of the few times I got impatient was selling AMD at like $5 a few years ago...)
What makes a stock like BB go crazy? Is there any actual merit or is it just reddit being dumb?

And like if I bought $1000 @ market tomorrow, is THAT what's making people money? Or are they doing some weird but process?
There's arguable merit in whatever company (see mine for BB above) but ultimately comes down to the trading game, the money is coming and going from somewhere, and people (and automated trading systems) are behind those choices...whether logic/merit based or not. GameStop was a combination of a shitload of people betting one way, arguably some merit, and all followed up by another shitload betting the other way hard and winning out for now (extremely simplified version there of course, more detail given by others already).

There's different ways to play, the basic way is to just buy shares and sell. If they double up then you double up. There's a bunch of other stuff (options, contracts, margins, etc) where things can go crazy...but I never learned those so I stay far away cause shit can go horribly wrong (like if you picked the other side of this GameStop thing).
This GME business has got me extremely interested in learning more about investing. Seems like AMC and Blackberry are next on the list.
Oh yeah I forgot I picked up some AMC for the hell of it. I...don't have any belief in the stock, it really is more of a "let's see what the hell happens" with a little money, I think it went up like 50% already.

I got 69 shares.

Edit: same disclaimer others are pointing out, I wouldn't consider this "investing". Like especially what I'm doing with AMC, I'm just straight up gambling there. BB is more in line with my usual, but ultimately it's still just a speculative pick. If you just want some return better than a bank pick some ETF and let that ride for however long...shit can still go wrong, but over a long enough term they're pretty consistently up. Then there's stuff like Roth IRAs and whatnot. All depends on how much you're looking to get and if you're willing to take on the risk.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of degenerates on Reddit killing a multi-billion dollar hedge fund is going to result in some ridiculous investing legislation happening very soon. Hold onto your butts.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know. GameStop is destined to die eventually but amc feels like one tweet away from collapse. Personally I wouldn't put money in blackberry. They should have died off years ago but somehow manage to weasel their way around the grave.
Black berry isn't really a phone company anymore and are making software for electric cars and self driving now

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder that most people on WSB aren't investing, they're trading. I really think mods should put a sticky with a reminder that things could go south almost immediately at any point and time.

I'd hate to see people on this site lose their money trying to cash in on this, especially during a pandemic.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is pretty obvious probably, but be extremely careful basing investment decisions on WSB. This is a perfect storm and is NOT the usual prediction. They are more well known for huge and sometimes funny losses, massive gains aren't as common. Don't invest what you can't afford to lose
This should go for investing in general.

Don't invest any more than you're willing to lose, and don't just throw your money at any investment for laughs.
OK really dumb question but there is nothing illegal about this, right? lmao

my bro and I are thinking about going splitsies to gamble on some AMC stock just to get in on some of this madness.
The SEC could get involved depending on how much pressure hedge funders and their ilk decide to impose, but technically it's not illegal.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm going to invest $5k in BB and AMC, if I lose it, it's not the end of the world (I'll kick myself but I won't hang myself).

If it moons...well that's just one less thing to worry about isn't it.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Just a reminder that most people on WSB aren't investing, they're trading. I really think mods should put a sticky with a reminder that things could go south almost immediately at any point and time.

I'd hate to see people on this site lose their money trying to cash in on this, especially during a pandemic.

Things will go south. These valuations are completely out of touch with reality and any sane dcf model of GME.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017

Not in their interest to preach responsibility. Anyone who ends up holding a bag of nothing by the end of this really only has themselves to blame - people hyping this stuff aren't doing it to make millionaires out of 'the little people', they're just looking to drive the value of their portfolio up.

OP
OP
faint

faint

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pump and dump scheme organized by the /r/wallstreetbets discord, please disregard LOL

It's going back down to $16 where it belongs next month

I put 50k into this bullshit yesterday morning at open and it's more than doubled now.

Going to set a sell order at $420.69

Yup, it's classic short squeeze. The theory is that if there aren't any shares left for whales to cover/buy, the holders (reddit) can charge whatever the fuck they want for them. It's a supply/demand exploitation in which the working class retail traders redistribute wealth away from the billionare hedge funds. Kinda leftist, tbh

Bruh, what? How do you 180 fast enough to the point you throw down $50K at the blink of an eye?

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not in their interest to preach responsibility. Anyone who ends up holding a bag of nothing by the end of this really only has themselves to blame - people hyping this stuff aren't doing it make millionaires out of 'the little people', they're just looking to drive the value of their portfolio up.
It's not just about the responsibility, but the sentiment that WSB has and all of the baggage that comes along with their culture. We've already had a guy in the investing thread get banned.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder to anyone who's looking to get on this train.

The way this stock is going is very unpredictable and volatile. Don't invest ANYTHING in this stock that you're not okay with losing. This stock could jump like crazy or fall like crazy tomorrow. No one knows for sure.

So if part of you wants to join the hype thinking "holy shit, I could be making thousands right now!", counterbalance that with "holy shit, I just threw a few hundred/thousand dollars out the window!" and if you're not okay with that possibility, then don't invest.

GME's behavior right now is so volatile that it's more like a gamble than an investment. So if you have a chunk of money you're okay with losing, then give it a try if you want, but if not, then stay out and save yourself the potential misery. Don't put yourself into a financial hole just because of internet hype.

I have nothing to say, but I want people to see this because it's very solid advice.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I never invested before or have any knowledge at all in investing.....with that said, whats a beginner app/site to use?

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So how easy is it to buy and sell on Robinhood? Say I want to throw 200 in tomorrow morning and take it out at night whatever the price is, is that easy using Robinhood?

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just about the responsibility, but the sentiment that WSB has and all of the baggage that comes along with their culture. We've already had a guy in the investing thread get banned.
I guess I misread your post. I thought for a second you were suggesting the mods on the subreddit should put up a warning, but I guess you were actually taking about this thread instead.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
A bunch of degenerates on Reddit killing a multi-billion dollar hedge fund is going to result in some ridiculous investing legislation happening very soon. Hold onto your butts.
Which is good. There is absolutely no reason for the concept of shorting to exist at all. We should have killed it after 2008. If you want to invest in a company, invest in it. If you think it is going down, dont invest in it. All the other shit should be illegal.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would advise against buying Gamestop stock if you haven't already. The price could go plaid tomorrow, but the potential upside (~500% increase tops) isn't worth the potential downside (losing 80%+ of the money invested) in my opinion.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which is good. There is absolutely no reason for the concept of shorting to exist at all. We should have killed it after 2008. If you want to invest in a company, invest in it. If you think it is going down, dont invest in it. All the other shit should be illegal.

I imagine the ridiculous legislation is going to protect Wall Street by banning meme or social media trading or something crazy. But I suppose I can be optimistic and hope for the hammer to come down hard on shorting.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would advise against buying Gamestop stock if you haven't already. The price could go plaid tomorrow, but the potential upside (~500% increase tops) isn't worth the potential downside (losing 80%+ of the money invested) in my opinion.

Friendship ended with GME, now AMC is my new best friend.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think good will be on the side of individual/retail investor.
I guess I misread your post. I thought for a second you were suggesting the mods on the subreddit should put up a warning, but I guess you were actually taking about this thread instead.
Yeah, man.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agree on this I hate shorting, there should only be buying and selling nothing else

Last edited:

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Somebody does not understand price signaling in capital markets.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was going to buy amc stock but after making my account I could not remember my bank online username to connect it to robin hood lol and itwas 7bam so I couldn't call the bank

Y the time the bank is ooeneatch amc have shot up lol

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the ridiculous legislation is going to protect Wall Street by banning meme or social media trading or something crazy. But I suppose I can be optimistic and hope for the hammer to come down hard on shorting.

The thing is when hedge funds does this kind of shenanigans, its fine ( including governmental bails if all goes south ) but when a bunch of crazy people decide to do the same, that has no one to pay for them in case they lose everything, than its terrible for the economy and must be regulated.

At the very least all the Gamestop stuff is exposing wall street.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, is putting $1,000 on AMC at $8 a reasonable decision?
I would strongly caution against that or Blackberry since it's entirely possible that a secondary attempt by WallStreetBets will thwarted; as was pointed out earlier in the thread, they don't have a great track record.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I bought $500 in AMC. I wish I had some GME from back in November last year. :(

May 31, 2018
It wouldn't. But using that same analogy..

Roulette consists of red, black and 0/00. With the way things are going, I guess I'm wondering if AMC is one of those.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If my $300 AMC investment goes south, I can say I was on the AMC F-List, so I get something out of it no matter what.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to learn, all got to start somewhere.
Save 3 months living expenses in cash and put that in a savings account. Pay off high interest debt. Max out your retirement contributions. Then read Nerd Wallet and Investopedia and put 15% of your take home pay into index funds/ETFs. After all that, if you have money to play around with still, then you could look into buying individual stocks.

If you're just interested in learning what's going on out of curiosity, Nerd Wallet and Investopedia are good reads.

Please do not make any financial decisions based on my advice.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Save 3 months living expenses in cash and put that in a savings account. Pay off high interest debt. Max out your retirement contributions. Then read Nerd Wallet and Investopedia and put 15% of your take home pay into index funds/ETFs. After all that, if you have money to play around with still, then you could look into buying individual stocks.

If you're just interested in learning what's going on out of curiosity, Nerd Wallet and Investopedia are good reads.

Please do not make any financial decisions based on my advice.

Excellent advice, ty.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to learn, all got to start somewhere.

I'm learning as I go. If you have money that you are absolutely sure you can part with, then why not? Go small. Go slow. That's what I've been doing and I'm new. People keep making it sound like you need a formal education and years of experience before you dip your toes into one share. I'm sure it'd help but you really think everybody on Robinhood went through that? All I did was tuck away money for my priorities and set aside money I could play with anyway. Money that goes to video games, weed, beer, food, whatever. What's 60 bucks for a stock? *my line of thinking*

But my biggest takeaway is just start small, man. Learn the ropes like I am and really start investing into long term shit when you're comfortable. I'm not cause IM STILL LEARNING. I'm just here for the GME hype but once this settles, I'm going all in as this being a side hobby. Throughout the years. With that being said, better start researching up now. All the money bags people brag about on Reddit, there are an equal amount (if not more) people who went bankrupt. Don't be that dude.