• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...hat_switch_sales_doubled_in_the_week_after_e3

And please lock if old

GameStop, the North American video game retailer giant, has revealed that Nintendo Switch sales doubled in the week following E3.

With Nintendo's share prices taking multiple hits after the E3 presentation, and after a rather mixed reaction from fans watching the show from around the world, it would be easy to assume that the last few weeks might have been on the rougher side for the house of Mario. As it turns out, console sales were through the metaphorical roof immediately after the event, suggesting that people must have liked what they saw.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, vice president of merchandising at GameStop, Eric Bright, has mentioned his delight at the wide variety of announcements across the board during E3, stating that he's "looking forward to an incredible Q4". Apparently, Nintendo was the pick of the bunch, with the Super Smash Bros. Ultimateshowcase and Pokémon Let's Go reveals sparking that boost of console sales.

"Nothing beats Nintendo's overall announcements," he says. "Super Smash Bros is jumping right up to the top of the [pre-order] list. We're also seeing great reaction from Pokémon Let's Go, both SKUs, and then of course people are trying to get their hands on the Pokéball [controller] as well... Nintendo fans are definitely reacting"

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Gamestop also had the trade in promo towards a new Switch when trading old consoles that week. I know I picked up another Switch then because I didn't see a revision announcement.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really mean much.

1 doubled = 2.

GameStop is still probably gonna liquidate within the next 5 years. Thankfully to some, unfortunately for others.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I can see it.

Kids or Go users are going to buy the Switch now for Let's Go, same goes for those Nintendo users that cares only about Smash.

On top of that June has been very strong for the Switch, i've seen lots of ads for Mario Tennis Aces. Here on Amazon Switch is always in the top 10 of best selling videogame products on Amazon.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure every console sees an increase in units sold after E3. Without numbers this is a quite predictable news, though double sounds good.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So people did not buy Switch the week before E3, maybe expecting a price drop, but then bought after E3? Crazy!!!1

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Once again, we need to have numbers to make something out of it.

I guess NPD will tell us how things really went down, if Nintendo wins the month soundly, then we know E3 had such a strong impact as Gamestop implies. If it doesn't we have further confirmation that Gamestop is mattering less and less.

Remember that Media Create thread where the XBox had a 866% WoW increase in Japan and jumped to a whopping 4k units sold?

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if the sentiments of brain genious shareholders, who wonder aloud at meetings whether people will stop buying Nintendo products because of the existence of Nintendo theme parks, don't factor much into the real world health or performance of a company.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Stock price is almost entirely independent of sales in a given month.

Don't know why people don't understand this.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
The allure of bedtime Fortnite.

I literally called this, that Switch would win the June NPD (July and August as well) because Sony and the crossplay issue did a massive mainstream media promo for Fortnite.

If not it will come very close to PS4 (PS4 still undoubtedly has that Gow momentum so it should be close this month)

You have the biggest game in the world, the hottest device in gaming, and mainstream media coverage up the wazoo.

Last edited:

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
This is all relative, doubled from what? this is pointless if the previous week sales were low. Numbers!

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017

I guess NPD will tell us how things really went down, if Nintendo wins the month soundly, then we know E3 had such a strong impact as Gamestop implies. If it doesn't we have further confirmation that Gamestop is mattering less and less.

Remember that Media Create thread where the XBox had a 866% WoW increase in Japan and jumped to a whopping 4k units sold?
lololol comparing Switch in the US to Xbox in Japan. Where do we go whit those out of touch posters? To the stock exchange market I guess.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That's the beauty of ratios... They're great for PR, but don't really tell you anything without knowing the original values.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Company whose livelihood depends on people pre-ordering and purchasing games reveals that pre-orders and purchases of games are up.

Okay.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lololol comparing Switch in the US to Xbox in Japan. Where do we go whit those out of touch posters? To the stock exchange market I guess.

Did you read the entirety of my post?

If Gamestop is right (or relevant) we're gonna see the Switch take the June NPD by storm, because their baseline is already very decent. Time will tell.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Winning or not winning NPD means literally nothing in this case. They could sell 700k Switches in June and even if that doesn't win NPD (PS4 sells 750k somehow) that's still an incredible number and means Gamestop is quite relevant.

"Winning" NPD -as a concept- really, really needs to die.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do people ITT really believe that GameStop doesn't sell a lot of consoles for a 100% increase to be notable or am I being punk'd?

Yeah people also say Amazon means basically nothing for game software and hardware, if both Amazon and Gamestop are more or less irrelevant to the mainstream consumer then where is everyone getting their gaming stuff? Best Buy, Target and WalMart?

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
That week there were shadow drops of:

Paladins
Fortnite
Hollow Knight
Pokemon Quest
Fallout: Shelter

And yet somehow, Nintendo had a bad week.