• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
GameStop thinks it has a way to keep its stores relevant as downloads take hold: revamp the stores themselves. The chain has unveiled a team-up with designers at R/GA on a pilot program to renovate stores and give them a "place in the video gaming culture." The concept stores will have layouts and purposes meant to appeal more directly to gamers. You'll have new ways to try games before buying them, shops that cater solely to retro games and hardware, and even esports competitions with "homegrown" leagues.
The two companies didn't say when they expected these pilot stores to be ready. They did, however plan to try the new locations in a "select market."

I have this mentality that the underdogs will perform well in dire situations. So, assuming Gamestop is an underdog with pros and cons...., I'm going to be in the minority and root for them for surviving, despite being dire (for too long?) in the situation.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't think that some of these ideas are bad. Retro stores could be cool if done correctly.

I have vivid memories of my old DM telling people that "no one plays old games so we'll never stock retro games again." That was fun.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
One has to wonder if allocating funds for a huge renovation push will be enough when they're already hemmoraging money left and right.

Also, remodels don't mean shit if their customer service and business practices don't change.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A good start would be to treat their employees much better. A store renovation isn't going to fix their actual issues.

Laserplane

Apr 28, 2018
Worth a shot and a lot better than used iPads but seems like too little too late and how can you have any trust the community building stuff will be taken seriously or last any length of time?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funko might as well just buy them and rebrand them as a Funko Pop store.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, bringing back retro stuff! For a while they were kinda-sorta allowed the retro stuff in stores and I picked up some cheap CIB PS1 and Saturn titles that way. Then their district managers were like "nah gotta send them alllll back to the warehouse to only sell online!" Such a corporate decision makes them hate money that way, because we all know the gamble that comes with buying used anything of theirs online :/

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna write that including retro options would be a nice way to get people back into their stores, glad to see that might be an option.

Outside of emulation, there should be a large market of demand for older games that are no longer really available for buying outside of 2nd hand ebay sellers.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
They should restructure them more as game lounges that also sell retail. Have like 16 TVs hooked up and let people rent game time and get food and drinks and shit.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Their retro game prices actually aren't too bad, but I think revamping their stores is pointless without changes in policy and in how they treat their employees.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
A smart move, I can definitely see more stores hanging around if they can convert to an LGS/Arcade hybrid.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Good call. I posted about this in one of the "GameStop is going broke" threads, but the stores themselves are ass. They're just crammed full of junk, spilling out into the aisles, you can't get around or browse without tripping over a Funko.

Aine

May 27, 2019
The local Gamestop I've seen has made more room for toys, clothes and collectibles than actual games. It's surreal.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
This sounds very positive. I just hope they don't apply the same selling pressure or retail practices of old, such as shucking CIB product, putting pressure on stores to sell product, or the associates themselves misinforming customers to make a sale.

Reinventing their B&M storefronts is one thing, but they need to change culture in order for it to succeed.

Oct 28, 2017

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when they allowed "renting" for about an hour and a half? I thought that was a neat idea and a great way to move used inventory.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see some retro stores. So far, their retro selection has only been for the online store, which is basically a gamble since you don't know what condition the game will be in or if it even comes with the case/box.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I have a Game Stop not 5 minutes from my home, but I never go there because the employees are worse than used car salesmen trying to push pre-orders and other stuff on you. Then they want to give you their unsolicited take on what you're buying and the direction of the industry. What should be a 2 minute transaction takes half a god damn hour.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I won't knock them giving their stores a face-lift; I do wonder if it's a worthwhile investment at this point though. That said, like half the reason I don't shop at Gamestop is because it feels like I've walked into a weird-smelling Spencer Gifts that sells video games anytime I go there. It wouldn't bother me if I was 15 years-old still, but as a grown-ass man it doesn't entice me to want to spend any more of my time in the store than I need to.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
One of Gamestop's problems is how cramped a lot of their stores are. Even if you got rid of all the collectables, you aren't going to be able to add space for TVs/seating areas in most of the stores, and the idea of "well, lets bring back retro games" is going to eat up even more of the floor space

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make the store make me feel less claustrophobic; sometimes I feel like I'm in a closet when I'm in the store.

Also like the plan says, cater to the gamer in a different way instead of yelling at them about the newest game/magazine and to BUY BUY BUY.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Make the store make me feel less claustrophobic; sometimes I feel like I'm in a closet when I'm in the store.

Also like the plan says, cater to the gamer in a different way instead of yelling at them about the newest game/magazine and to BUY BUY BUY.
Get rid of the damn carpet too!

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I was like "yeah yeah" until I saw "retro game stores". This is smart, really smart (if they do it well, anyway). There's a local game store on Long Island called Game On that caters to retro consoles (they have some modern stuff but none of it is prominently displayed, they mostly hone in on the consoles up to and including the Gamecube/PS2 generation). They got so popular they opened a second location. There's a market for physical stores you can buy Retro games at and I'm someone who primarily plays older consoles so I'm interested to see how they handle that.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough: stop trying to upsell me on 500 different things for consoles I don't even have. I'm a 27 year old man trying to buy a $3 copy of Epic Mickey for the Wii, let me have my peace.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I think even bigger than the renovating the stores is changing the employee policies. Imagine GS employing passionate nerds (not in that bad way) that help clueless parents navigate the space. Cut the annoying upselling and craft a much better customer experience.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
If they're going to be doing retro stores, please stop throwing away the packaging and instruction manuals and stuff!!

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should renovate the checkout experience, too. It took me almost ten minutes to check out the other day after handing the cashier my stuff because he went through this entire speech about preordering and suggesting new games, and looking at the shirts they had on sale, and the figurines, and oh have you signed up for the reward program? and and and.... like jeez dude, I just want a game I handed to you. I know he was being forced to ask that stuff so I don't blame him, but it's just irritating. Makes me not want to go back cause it's just a hassle.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Interested to see how this pans out for the company. Like the article said, they have nothing to lose really.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that some of these ideas are bad. Retro stores could be cool if done correctly.

I have vivid memories of my old DM telling people that "no one plays old games so we'll never stock retro games again." That was fun.

Were you around when some DMs instructed their staff to take hammers to all of their retro stuff?

It was a thing of legend in my district, but we did the same to every last piece of Guitar Hero equipment in the backroom.

Aug 1, 2018
The last time I went into a Gamestop, there was one wall of games and the rest of the store was basically phones, figurines, puzzles, funko pops and whatever other "Gamer" knickknacks exist. On top of that, while browsing the one wall of games, one of the dudes that worked there just kept shadowing me. Like, what the fuck, am I gonna steal a beat up ass empty game case?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
There is so much opportunity for GameStop to step in and fill their stores with toys, there is a huge gap in the brick and mortar space in the toy industry now with Toys R Us being gone

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Blockbuster Video tried something similar to this shortly before they died, so I'm not bullish on Gamestop's longevity.

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I think having places to play video games with others is a welcome addition.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't charge anything to let people come in and play. The more people frequenting the building, the better off you are. More people = more business.

Like someone said, have a bunch of TVs hooked up. You have no problem acquiring used consoles, use those units to connect to the TVs.

Start selling candy, drinks, etc. This stuff has high profit margins.

The only issue would be reconfiguring existing stores to accommodate the change.

Get rid of used and new game sections completely. Keep everything behind the counter. Use a digital interface to push these products; there can be a couple displays in store that you search the inventory of the store for which game you want.

Ditch the merchandising setups that push trash products.

Remove the demo kiosks that let you try out PS4, Xbox One and Switch stuff.

Instead of used game racks, there's TVs on the wall. Instead of merchandising racks in the middle of the floor, there's couches. Instead of demo kiosks, there's candy/soda/popcorn etc to purchase.

There's a Switch section, an Xbox section, and a PlayStation section. Each section has TV, couch, console and a variety of games available to play. Considering you have loads of used games on hand, there's no point keeping them barred off. Let people play them. It's not like they are new games; their value isn't being decreased by having them played in store. You can even possibly charge cheap rental fees on them (and they aren't even leaving the store); let's say it costs $2 to switch to a different game.

Large TVs are extremely cheap these days. Mount 70inch+ TVs on the walls. This gives an experience that not everyone can enjoy; many homes don't have room for TVs this size.

Considering anyone can go to Walmart/Target/Best Buy and get the same exact experience that GameStop is offering (aside from a used game selection with marginally reduced prices; many times the used games are more expensive than new copies elsewhere if you do your research), obviously there needs to be a fundamental business change. You aren't offering people anything different than large retail stores.

If you change the stores into something where people can come hang out, play some games, buy some junk food and socialize, perhaps that will increase your customer base.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I really want them to survive... but they just closed basically the last group of stores in Manhattan, below 14th street. It's getting harder and harder to GET to a physical location.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Cool.

Are they going to stop selling used games as new?

They opened up the damn collector's edition of CTR and then sold it as new at the regular price, just so they could have an empty box on the wall.