• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I'm really curious as to what the business gain here is. Keep people coming into the store in the hope that they will actually buy something of value? Bet on people spending $60 to rent and keep only one game that they sell for $9? Is the used game market such a dead-end now that they're willing to eat potential losses just to get one game off the shelf every six months? They're strapped for cash and really just want to collect $60 upfront from people, don't care how?

Those are all the possibilities I could think of off the top of my head, lol.

This will, at the very least, get them $60 from me, versus the normal zero dollars that they'd get from me. So, I guess it's something for them, right?

Joe_Bush

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I had a subscription like this to Blockbuster in the years before it shut down. Does this seem like a desperation move by GameStop to anyone else? Like, this sounds like a good idea and I might take advantage of it but it's probably not a sustainable business move

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I had a subscription like this to Blockbuster in the years before it shut down. Does this seem like a desperation move by GameStop to anyone else? Like, this sounds like a good idea and I might take advantage of it but it's probably not a sustainable business move

Agreed. Also their refusal to offer discounts on pre-orders like BB and Amazon is perplexing to me.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
Agreed. Also their refusal to offer discounts on pre-orders like BB and Amazon is perplexing to me.

Best Buy and Amazon use video games as loss leaders. At GameStop's volume, that's just not a feasible business strategy. Comparatively, Amazon and Best Buy sell very few video games which allows them to utilize them in that fashion.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy and Amazon use video games as loss leaders. At GameStop's volume, that's just not a feasible business strategy. Comparatively, Amazon and Best Buy sell very few video games which allows them to utilize them in that fashion.

Correct but GS needs more foot traffic which I suspect is the reason behind this promotion. By offering the same discount as Amazon/BB they guarantee more people walking in the store. I guess they are worried about the cannibalization of used games sales but this pass does more harm than good IMO. Anyhow, right now it seems like a decent enough deal that I will partake in.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm so in for this. I tend to only get one or two new releases a year. Most of my other game purchases are used games that I've missed out on over the past year or so. Works out great for old uncleslappy

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
Correct but GS needs more foot traffic which I suspect is the reason behind this promotion. By offering the same discount as Amazon/BB they guarantee more people walking in the store. I guess they are worried about the cannibalization of used games sales but this pass does more harm than good IMO. Anyhow, right now it seems like a decent enough deal that I will partake in.

Foot traffic is important, but the distinction between a big box retailer and big box online retailer to a specialty retailer needs to be taken into account. Best Buy or Amazon can make up that profit loss in thousands of ways and with shoppers who have no interest in video games. GameStop doesn't have that luxury. They're limited to making that 20% up through collectibles which can cost as little as $4.99.

It looks like they're trying to combat the 20% off deal by providing 20% off collectibles on the day of major releases. They recently promoted getting 20% off any one collectible when you picked up your copy of Assassin's Creed Origins or Super Mario Odyssey.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious as to what the business gain here is. Keep people coming into the store in the hope that they will actually buy something of value? Bet on people spending $60 to rent and keep only one game that they sell for $9? Is the used game market such a dead-end now that they're willing to eat potential losses just to get one game off the shelf every six months? They're strapped for cash and really just want to collect $60 upfront from people, don't care how?

Those are all the possibilities I could think of off the top of my head, lol.

Instead of buying a game for $50, rent a game for $60. Finish game, come back, look for another game, maybe your kid is tagging along and wants to buy a doll or toy or whatever. Its all about that foot traffic and getting people in store and then upselling them on stuff they didn't know they were going to buy before hand.

People here are also assuming there will just be tons and tons of stock of used games, it is very likely this program is going to dramatically alter that situation. Games that previously may have sat on shelves because people didn't want to buy No Man's Sky for $40 used may suddenly all vanish as people don't mind checking it out for a few days. Hot games may be nearly impossible to get. Its going to fundamentally alter the dynamics of the used game market at gamestop and I don't think anyone really knows how. Remember, you can only GamePass USED games, not new games.

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like a great idea, but I'm worried there's a catch. I'm pretty sure there will be some review threads once the program goes into effect.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I really hate Gamestop but this is a pretty tempting offer. I guess it comes out to $75 since you need to spend $15 to become a Power Up member but this still sounds like it's worth it if you live in an urban area with a bunch of Gamestops. I'm sure stock will be an issue to an extent but I'm sure they will have a ton of copies of the more popular games.

conman

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been into a Gamestop in years. Judging by this offer, I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Gamestop but this is a pretty tempting offer. I guess it comes out to $75 since you need to spend $15 to become a Power Up member but this still sounds like it's worth it if you live in an urban area with a bunch of Gamestops. I'm sure stock will be an issue to an extent but I'm sure they will have a ton of copies of the more popular games.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it just says Power Up rewards member which is free. It is "pro" that costs money.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
If they are getting you in the store several times per month maybe you will buy a game that going to be $60 just about anywhere while you're there.

I can see how they are hurting enough to try this out.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will become popular enough that people start draining the selection of all the best games as they choose them to keep.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Ill take advantage of this deal...and try to trade in a high value game at the end of the term like everyone else.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's still no catch revealed? Apparently this launches Monday. Seems like an insane good deal.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
I remember when the ps2 came out, Blockbuster and Hollywood Video charged $8 for a fucking 5 day rental. If they let you rent "new" games for $10 a month, this is a great deal. I'd probably stop paying for GCU if this works well.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
There are three tiers of PUR: Player or Basic (free, just renamed to the former), Pro ($15/yeah), and Elite Pro ($30/yr). I believe Player members will be eligible to participate in the program. The membership is needed because it gets you into the GameStop system and lets them easily verify even across locations that you're apart of the program and what your history is.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds too good to be true. Assuming there's no catch, I might actually take part in this.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I was in a Gamestop, one of the employees reminded me that this was a thing, I thought it was interesting.
especially considering I basically used GS for the exact same thing, but never technically had to pay lol
Gamefly's super slow turnaround makes the all the more appealing. I might have to try this out.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last time I was in a Gamestop, one of the employees reminded me that this was a thing, I thought it was interesting.
especially considering I basically used GS for the exact same thing, but never technically had to pay lol
Gamefly's super slow turnaround makes the all the more appealing. I might have to try this out.

Plus the prices. As long as there's no sleazy restrictions, this blows GameFly away. The only advantage GF would have is you can rent new releases and get them like a day after they release, while here you'd have to wait for there to be some used copies.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if it's gonna be also for Canada since we have Gamestop?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game Pass is active as of today, right? I was in GameStop yesterday and inquired after it, but was told it wasn't available until "tomorrow" (today). The employee didn't seem to happy about the program, either, which is how I'd feel if I working there -- a lot more work (depending on how customers utilize it) for no more store revenue or circle of life credit (beyond the initial $60 purchase).

I expect I'll use this to go through a few shorter single player campaigns, then grab the games I really want for a month at a time.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy moly. GameStop killed Power Pass already, just a few hours in.
91sEfPD_d.jpg

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Yeap, that looks like a great deal. If consoles were my main platform, this would be a no brainer.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
This is an uncharacteristically good decision for Gamestop, so much so that I'm still suspicious of it.

Farsi

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Senior Game Advisor at r/gamestop said
"To clarify, they have temporarily delayed the power pass program due to limitations with our crappy computers. "

This very well could be the case. I hope they bring it back soon.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds great. But I'm really concerned about the potential selection. I'm afraid all the best games will already be taken out and well be left with a paltry selection.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Maybe the learned that they would probably lose a bunch of money. Also, from the times I've talked to the employees at my local store, their computers and systems suck donkey dicks. It's like they complain about it or it breaks down every time I come in lol.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I asked about this at my local gamestop and the store rep said that he only knows as much info as there is online as they haven't had their "conference call" on this subject yet. He did at least confirm that this power pass thing is a real thing at least.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually going to go into store tomorrow during lunch to sign up for this as I remembered it was this week. Bummer.