• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neodiablo22

Oct 25, 2017

Apparently GameStop is no longer allowing people to use their $5 Pro membership monthly coupons to be used on digital credits. I find this to be fairly slimy as store employees pushed people to buy the membership to use for exactly that purpose. If it was too much of a loss for them, they should have announced it months ago and phased it out.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I went in today and they let me use it for this month but was told this would be last time. Mine actually expires next month, so perfect timing for me.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The value of the membership keeps plummeting. At this juncture I don't see a reason to renew.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
I only subbed to it so I could get a PS5, won't be renewing lol

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I kept saying it was too much of a good deal.
People told me it was fine because it brought in foot traffic.

But that means nothing if they learn to get it and leave.

I renewed in November, so... damn. At least I got $10 worth since then.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I saw people on era pushing getting the membership for this reason and knew this was inevitable. No way GameStop would provide an actually valuable service lol

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I already made back more than enough from my membership anyway, so the $5/month isn't a huge loss. Still, pretty shitty, and they should have had a proper phase-out period.

dougie4306

Jul 15, 2021
lmao just started my sub a few months ago specifically because the guy in the store kept pushing this, fuck that

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I went in today and they let me use it for this month but was told this would be last time. Mine actually expires next month, so perfect timing for me.

I am going to try and pull this later this month lol and see if my local GS will let me lol. February won't be an issue since I have Elden Ring and Horizon preordered, but yeah, probably going to be a problem down the line I imagine

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, i guess I am gonna maybe cancel. I only re joined PRO because of the insane trade in deals they were having for consoles, accesories and games a few months ago. Got around $500 credit with them which is great BUT they only currenly sell their ps5/series X with bundles which is annoying too.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Have they said if the coupon dollar offs you get from points still work, though? Those were usually treated different than the PUR $5 offs.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I actually made a thread about a month ago here praising the service and it being basically free money. I also just renewed 2 months ago. Really feel like this is something they should've given notice about - its the only reason I even have a PUR subscription.

Apr 24, 2018
I actually made a thread about a month ago here praising the service and it being basically free money. I also just renewed 2 months ago. Really feel like this is something they should've given notice about - its the only reason I even have a PUR subscription.
Yeah I subbed in late November solely for this reason (for the first time), but I can't say that I'm shocked at it being taken away. I did get to use one of the monthly coupons towards digital currency, at least. Although this is a crappy thing to do so suddenly and with no advance notice, and GameStop deserves all the flak they'll inevitably get about it in this thread, I do have to say that lately their prices on some recent titles (and trade in values) have been surprisingly good.

If nothing else, I'll at least look up prices on GameStop now prior to buying elsewhere which I hadn't really done in the past. Plus with the 10K in points, as long as someone uses one coupon on something they'd at least monetarily break even, albeit with less purchasing power with GS credit than actual cash.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Wow, this is super shitty, though I'm honestly surprised that if they were going to reverse this policy they wouldn't have done it much more quickly when they changed the model from being about used game discounts (which was like, 2+ years ago i think?). Also really fucked up for the poor employees who peddled this as a value for folks who mainly buy digital; I feel like that's actually gotta be the main conceit for a lot of buyers actually.

I still like to buy physical as often as I can, and I like my local GameStop, but I don't know if I buy enough non-digital regularly to warrant having this anymore. It's only $15 so it's whatever to me personally; if I don't get the value out of the card matching the price paid I don't really care, but this definitely sucks. It was nice going in once a month for a very streamlined purchase of some PSN or Steam and currency and getting $5 off.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to shop at GameStop anymore?
Only if you want some good trade in on a previous gen console. I traded my One X early December and it was my first time in a GameStop since 2013. I only got that power up thing because it gave me extra credit for my Xbox. I was going to use those $5 certificates for Xbox cards but oh well. Should have known I would quickly say fuck this place shortly after doing business then again lol but I can't complain about the trade value I got. I just need to use up the rest of my credit and those points for whatever they're good for and say adios.

Apr 24, 2018
Have they said if the coupon dollar offs you get from points still work, though? Those were usually treated different than the PUR $5 offs.
I'm curious about this and regular gift cards/trade-in cards, as well. Hopefully they still will be able to convert into digital currency. I didn't trade many games in the past but was planning to go down this route with GameStop moving forward for my physical games, and likely eventually converting some time down the line into digital currency.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Those do not work anymore either, per my local manager.

GS has pretty much killed their digital customer market.

I got almost 50,000 points and almost $150 left in store credit (trade ins and whatnot). I'll find something to burn the rest of these points with and peace out.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So far I've yet to use it on a digital giftcard. Been pro since July and I think I've used it every month. Was planning on eventually using it on Nintendo points when there's a month that I don't end up using it on something else. Sucks but oh well.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I couldnt find anything to use my coupon on last month, so I just let it expire. I exclusively only shop online at gamestop, so it isnt even worth it because the coupon isnt even enough to cover shipping

I tried all last month to use my coupon on digital cards and stuff, i didnt find a single one that worked. So i didnt even know these ever worked on digital stuff.

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
Who do we complain to so we can get this changed back? Only reason I signed up was the digital currency was used as a selling point.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This fucking sucks. This is literally the only reason I signed up last month. I got $5 of eshop credit and they're going to take this perk away now.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So um. What's the best way to use this now, if you don't buy a game every month? Can I put it towards like a $10 Steambuxx or League of Legends card every month?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
And they wonder why they are going out of business. I like Gamestop because I get pretty good deals when I trade my stuff back but they have been slowly removing the value of pro year after year.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the best thing to do is push at corporate.

The store workers and district managers got blind sided as well, so it's not on them.

[email protected] is where I emailed them about this. While I'm not heavily affected, I did plan on using the coupons for my son's Series S.

ESPECIALLY if you signed up during the holiday period, I would reach out and complain. Corporate told the store employees this was how to push sales of the Pro membership, only to tell them yesterday that the very thing they told customers to use the membership for can no longer be used.

Gamestop is complete ASS.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Who do we complain to so we can get this changed back? Only reason I signed up was the digital currency was used as a selling point.
Only thing I can think of is if they get a huge amount of social media backlash. Even then the leadership of this company has shown they lose little sleep with fucking over their own employees on a routine basis and I'm not sure they give any more cares towards their customers.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you can start targeting used games that allow you to trade them in for close to the same value. IMO not worth the hassle but it might work for the time being.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Wow, that's messed up. I'd renewed with them earlier last year and, apparently, renewing in store also automatically turns on Autorenew too, so I got charged an Extra amount and renewed until 2023 (which makes no sense since it shouldn't have autorenewed if I was good til 2022 already). I was fine with it cause at least there was this.

I wish I'd gone in on the 1st like I'd planned to since these are worthless now.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I literally signed up last month because the guy made the point that "hey, you can just use your $5 a month on digital credits" and I was like, "Hey good point!" so I'm not too pleased with this nonsense.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Definitely a key reason for my visits to my Local Gamestop. Guess I'll be cancelling before the renewal kicks in around March or April.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
According to one person on Twitter, apparently, they do this every year, but then stop enforcing it. Take that with a grain of salt.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's messed up. I'd renewed with them earlier last year and, apparently, renewing in store also automatically turns on Autorenew too, so I got charged an Extra amount and renewed until 2023 (which makes no sense since it shouldn't have autorenewed if I was good til 2022 already). I was fine with it cause at least there was this.

I wish I'd gone in on the 1st like I'd planned to since these are worthless now.
It didn't work on the 1st either from what I've seen, employees had no idea why and thought it was an error while some said this was routine and happens every year but it always gets corrected in the system. Just today was it made official to them that this was intentional.
I literally signed up last month because the guy made the point that "hey, you can just use your $5 a month on digital credits" and I was like, "Hey good point!" so I'm not too pleased with this nonsense.
Yeah, a lot of folks in the subreddit are upset they sold them on this promise as they were apparently encouraged to them had the rug pulled out from under them from corporate. I don't see how anyone can stand working for this place and I've spent a lot of years in restaurant/retail.

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks for us consumers, but do feel especially bad for employees that have been pushing pro subscriptions and this being a main perk.

For GS corporate to announce it with no notice period is especially stupid, also.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
They have some pricing lately that's beaten Amazon/BB, I still think it's a good deal without the digital cards, but bad communication I suppose.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a lot of folks in the subreddit are upset they sold them on this promise as they were apparently encouraged to them had the rug pulled out from under them from corporate. I don't see how anyone can stand working for this place and I've spent a lot of years in restaurant/retail.
If I go in to ask what can be done, I'm definitely not going to give the employees working there any grief knowing that they had this pulled on them from Corporate. Not their fault. Just want to see how I can make sure I'm not charged again in a year.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
If I go in to ask what can be done, I'm definitely not going to give the employees working there any grief knowing that they had this pulled on them from Corporate. Not their fault. Just want to see how I can make sure I'm not charged again in a year.

You can go online and turn off autorenewal

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The vast majority of places don't allow any sort of coupons or credit to work towards gift cards(which is what this is). I'm sure Gamestop wasn't fully aware that it did work till it started making the rounds on places like here and Reddit and they went and properly made it an exclusion as it should be and as it is in most retail outlets that offer gift cards.