• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

Outlines Core Tenets of New Strategic Plan and Doubles Operating Profit Improvement Goal to Exceed $200 Million on Run-Rate Basis by 2021

GameStop's second quarter total global sales decreased 14.3% (13.1% in constant currency) to $1.3 billion, resulting in a consolidated comparable store sales decrease of 11.6%.

• New hardware sales decreased 41.1%, reflective of recent announcements for next generation console launches in 2020.
  • New software sales decreased 5.3%, with growth in Nintendo Switch software titles more than offset by weaker title launches across other consoles in the quarter compared to last year.
  • Accessories sales decreased 9.5%.
  • Pre-owned sales declined 17.5% with declines in hardware and software.
  • Digital receipts decreased 11.2% to $227.2 million due to weaker title launches in the quarter compared to last year.
  • Collectibles sales increased 21.2%, with continued strong double-digit growth in both domestic and international stores.
GameStop's second quarter GAAP net income (loss) was ($415.3) million, or ($4.15) per diluted share, compared to net income (loss) of ($24.9) million, or ($0.24) per diluted share, in the prior-year quarter, which included the Spring Mobile business. Second quarter fiscal 2019 results include asset impairment charges and other items of $400.9 million ($381.6 million net of taxes), or $3.82 per diluted share, primarily related to impairment of goodwill. Second quarter fiscal 2018 results included a non-operating tax charge of $29.6 million, or $0.29 per diluted share.

Excluding the $400.9 million of impairment charges and other items, GameStop's adjusted net income (loss) from continuing operations for the second quarter was ($32.0) million or ($0.32) per diluted share, compared to net income (loss) from continuing operations of ($10.2) million, or ($0.10) per diluted share, in the prior-year quarter.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
GameStop will be around for a long while yet, they will scrape by until next gen rolls around and then be good for a few years.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
GameStop will be around for a long while yet, they will scrape by until next gen rolls around and then be good for a few years.
Hopefully
I know GameStop gets a bad rap but all the employees in the stores around me are knowledgeable and helpful, although I know that's not the case everywhere, and they're one of the last remaining hopes for physical media in games

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for the butthurt Youtubers to chime in with "GameStop is doomed" because of a bad trade in value they got for Madden years ago.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
People often complain about the collectibles, and look where their ONLY growth in sales is. That's why they do it and keep adding different things.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully
I know GameStop gets a bad rap but all the employees in the stores around me are knowledgeable and helpful, although I know that's not the case everywhere, and they're one of the last remaining hopes for physical media in games
I have no problem with the employees there it's more stuff do with store policies like for instance there return policy is pure garbage compared to places like Target, BB, Walmart etc.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Collectibles being the only area that saw growth means y'all can buckle up and be ready to see that PS3/360 section give way to funkopops and Marvel velcro wallets any day now.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I have no problem with the employees there it's more stuff do with store policies like for instance there return policy is pure garbage compared to places like Target, BB, Walmart etc.

Sadly, people often lump the employees in with the policies. Yes, there are bad employees but that's true anywhere. The guy asking you for a reserve or a sub multiple times in a transaction though is doing so because of pressure from higher ups and the fear he may not get his 3 hours next week so people need to chill the fuck out.

("you" being generic - not directly you)

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Time to buy some more shares on the drop.
Yep, that after market is looking like a good opportunity.

It's playing the long game with this stock. It will bounce back come next gen, but it will only bounce back for a short time. I may pick up 500 or so shares based purely on next gen. I will sell shortly after the second console is released.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yep, that after market is looking like a good opportunity.

It's playing the long game with this stock. It will bounce back come next gen, but it will only bounce back for a short time. I may pick up 500 or so shares based purely on next gen. I will sell shortly after the second console is released.
That's my thinking as well. I just hope I time it right.

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, people often lump the employees in with the policies. Yes, there are bad employees but that's true anywhere. The guy asking you for a reserve or a sub multiple times in a transaction though is doing so because of pressure from higher ups and the fear he may not get his 3 hours next week so people need to chill the fuck out.

Oh yeah I know about that. I know people that worked there and told me the horror stories of management.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly this.

People who complain about that really need to understand this.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Oh yeah I know about that. I know people that worked there and told me the horror stories of management.

Exactly this.

People who complain about that really need to understand this.

8 years here (ASM). I had a great customer base and a good boss for most of my time but my DM was/is a huge douchebag. My friends still there tell me all their horror stories weekly so it's only gotten worse for the employees and I left in 2013.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They need to branch into overpriced streetwear. Those margins will get them in the green pretty quickly.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for calling GameStop your official CBD headquarters where you can preorder your exclusive joker funko pop today this is blame space how may i do you want to throw the disc protection on there it's only three dollars if anything happens to that disc we will replace it for you free of charge are you sure it's only three dollars what's coming out you're looking forward to what do you have that you're not playing you can trade it towards any pre-order upcoming games collectables anything you want vc we got vc get your vbucks here

we buy iphones hi do you have a powerup card

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for calling GameStop your official CBD headquarters where you can preorder your exclusive joker funko pop today this is blame space how may i do you want to throw the disc protection on there it's only three dollars if anything happens to that disc we will replace it for you free of charge are you sure it's only three dollars what's coming out you're looking forward to what do you have that you're not playing you can trade it towards any pre-order upcoming games collectables anything you want vc we got vc get your vbucks here

we buy iphones hi do you have a powerup card
giphy.gif