• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Can't even remember the last time I walked into a gamestop.

I think the last game I bought from them was Skyward Sword.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't want people losing their jobs, but damn I loathe GameStop. It will cease to exist in 10 years.
Much earlier than that. 10 years is lifetime for a business. Sad to see people lose their jobs, though.

Digital is way bigger than we think it is, especially in the US.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
That's good, they made a fuckton of money by reselling used game and publisher won't get shit every time GS reseless an used copy.
Thanks to digital first, subscription model will soon hurt their business model.

Suck for the people losing job if GS is going to close, but that's business.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
After my negative experiences multiple times with both in store and online order issues

I am not surprised

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't gone to a GameStop in years.

I buy everything online and ususally the best deals are elsewhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's good, they made a fuckton of money by reselling used game and publisher won't get shit every time GS reseless an used copy.
Thanks to digital, subscription model will soon hurt their business model.

Suck for the people losing job if GS is going to close, but that's business.

Oh, so now people are against re-selling games too?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They only have themselves to blame. They have not made the transition into an era that includes physical and digital well at all.

Their prices are terrible, their employees have bad reputations and their business practices are anti-consumer. It was only a matter of time.

And it's especially interesting as Best Buy has found a way to survive in the online/digital landscape.

Dezzy8

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2018
I'd be pretty saddened if the GameStop in my city gets closed. They usually have pretty cool staff that I've rarely had a problem with.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, i am against GS reselling games and profiting, while publishers don't get shit.
I don't resell my games for the same reason.

It's better for used copies to go from people who don't want them anymore to people that do, the alternative is people just throwing it into the garbage.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest portion of the loss is because of an impairment charge associated with the company's acquired intangible assets. This is more reflective of the actual declining health of the company overall but not an actual cash loss in the business during this quarter.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Why whould you hope for hundreds of people losing their job?

god, THANK YOU. i've had bad and good experiences with them, but they employ somewhere around 65,000 people (22,000 full time according to Wikipedia). i have no idea how many of them would have trouble finding work elsewhere, but you know that income counts. hell, it would count for me if I worked part time there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Do they still pull that selling opened copies as new thing? That's so crazy. I remember when I saw that, I told the clerk, what are you doing? lol.

The all digital future is not remotely close. PS5 and Scarlet will have physical media. The split will obviously become more and more noticeable but physical isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

There will never be an all digital future. However, physical media in gaming is becoming less and less relevant. We have a good amount of games that never see physical releases. And revenue from digital continue to grow.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I bought my X there only because they were giving me $200 for my base XB1.

Other than that I haven't been in one in years and I don't plan on shopping there for any of my purchases unless I can get a crazy deal on something.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, i am against GS reselling games and profiting, while publishers don't get shit.
I don't resell my games for the same reason.
Are you against people reselling cars, books, movies, appliances, and pretty much every other physical consumer good? You must really hate yard sales and thrift shops too.

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I went to gamestop I thought I wandered into a hot topic. Half the store was funco pop and toys and the other half was games.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
It's better for used copies to go from people who don't want them anymore to people that do, the alternative is people just throwing it into the garbage.

Or people collecting games.

Are you against Goodwill and used bookstores too?

Yes

Are you against people reselling cars, books, movies, appliances, and pretty much every other physical consumer good? You must really hate yard sales and thrift shops too.

Yes, i'm against all the type of resells that hurts the creators of the products.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i find it crazy that gamestop inspires such vitriol. Are they perfect? hell no. But seriously it's not that bad. People bitch about stickers on boxes and having to listen to premium membership spiels, but none of that is really a big deal.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
probably because there's less reason to choose gamestop over best buy, amazon, or walmart
Maybe but it could just be they spent a lot on things that won't be continual losses.

Reading the article doesn't seem like they are in that bad shape

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The new management at our local store is really nice and it really turned around the customer service. Even though I am pretty much all digital at this point, I buy point cards from there.

I can't imagine what the profit margin is on those cards...which could explain the crazy loss.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
And it's especially interesting as Best Buy has found a way to survive in the online/digital landscape.

Best Buy is propped up by its investment in hardware that can't be digitized, like washers and dryers, computers, stereo systems, TVs, etc. They're way more diverse. I worked there for a number of years. It was true then and it's true now: Best Buy wouldn't exist if it weren't a retailer of big, high dollar systems, especially computers, where they make a killing on service plans.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i find it crazy that gamestop inspires such vitriol. Are they perfect? hell no. But seriously it's not that bad. People bitch about stickers on boxes and having to listen to premium membership spiels, but none of that is really a big deal.
You literally cannot go to any major retailer without them trying to upsell ypu. I never see this level of hate towards Target trying to sell me their credit card

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Does Gamestop slowly fading away really mean that physical games are also dying? I mean, having a chain of stores that relies exclusively on gaming always seemed like a bad idea, because there are virtually no margins to play around with. Arent there bigger, multi purpose chains in America that simply has gaming as a subcategory and isnt soley reliant on it? That seems like the way to do it, at least where I live.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't surprise me, I haven't shopped at a Gamestop in years. I also don't like how they open the last copy of games to display and then try to sell them as new.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

Best Buy flat out sucks. Horrible trade in values and that's if your game is even listed. I couldn't even find a trade in value for Donkey Kong TF on the Switch!

GCU is already cancelled, so once it's gone there's going to be little reason to shop there.

Digital PC games NEVER go on sale either. At least GameStop runs sales on digital games.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Umm, you do realize that most people aren't collectors? They get rid of their games, that's why there are even so many used games at GameStop in the first place.

Of course i realize that, but i don't like the whole reselling culture, that's it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Sucks that people will lose their jobs but what's GameStop to do??

Going into GameStop fucking sucks. No I don't want a used game or some accessories. I want the game I walked in and immediately ask for. It's not the employees fault but I don't like being asked if I want some other thing. When I go into any other store I cashier rings me up and it's done, no questions on other shit I don't want. Just one of the many reason I myself don't shop there anymore. I don't want to feel uncomfortable shopping.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
The only issue I'd have is missing being able to buy used games. Never understood why the publishers dont get kick backs from used game sales but I'm not a corporate business suit.

Aside from that, I don't think I would really miss them too much...but where would I be able to walk into a store and get my niche games from after they go out of print?

Online is cool and all but I like getting it in my hands
..the condition for online stuff isn't always what you want it to be despite the descriptions

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or people collecting games.

Yes

Yes, i'm against all the type of resells that hurts the creators of the products.
So you think that consumers should have 0 rights regarding the products they buy, and that companies that sell products should be able to prevent any resale of physical goods? And you don't see how that's a problem at all?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like full digital future is indeed in full motion.

Too bad for those who insist to buy physical.