• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I feel this need a new thread, but feel free to close it if you think it's not.

As part of GameStop and Microsoft recent strategic agreement, GameStop will get revenue on digital game sales for each device GameStop brings into the Xbox ecosystem.

It mostly means GameStop stores now have incentive to sell Xbox Series S and Xbox All Access over PS5 Digital Edition.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Damn, that's quite generous if it's the entire lifespan of each console they sell. I imagine Gamestop will be pushing the Series pretty hard, then.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This should honestly be the standard for ALL digital platform sales across the board, not used as a cudgel to convince staff to push one platform over another.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
There would need to be some sort of deal where going to Gamestop to buy a digital copy is cheaper than the online store; otherwise, why go through the effort of driving there vice just buying it from one's house?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting way to convince GameStop to really push the Series S. Curious to see how they works out over the next couple years.

This should honestly be the standard for ALL digital platform sales across the board, not used as a cudgel to convince staff to push one platform over another.

So you think Sony and MS should just be willing giving up the cut they're taking back by going all digital to support Gamestop/others, just because?

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I feel sorry for people trying to buy stuff when next-gen consoles are more readily available. Gamestop was already really shitty in aggressively pushing stuff. With this? Good lord, I can only imagine someone trying to buy a PS5 multiplat or accessory lol.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Welcome to the Xbox store, where we sell all your Xbox needs. What Xbox can I Xbox you in today?

Good for Gamestop. I hope the Xbox stuff takes up the space of some of the larger collectibles that always end up on sale after several months instead of the other systems. I know that's probably not the case, but I can dream.

Still, if this keeps the one major game retailer around, it's a net positive.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something in the Microsoft deal preventing Gamestop from setting up similar deals for other hardware? I doubt Gamestop would say no to Nintendo or Sony.

Retrocide

Oct 28, 2017
Well that partially explains why Microsoft felt comfortable closing almost all of it Microsoft stores, interesting.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bigger XBox wall. Push SONIY pre-owned so gamestop make more off pre-owned. Probably increase trade in values of Sony games to incentivize that. More stock of new Xbox titles and if they don't have them, push gamepass/digital purchases.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for creating dedicated thread for this. Will be interesting to see how this plays out as we transition into next generation.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So is this for each xbox sold at a Gamestop? Each Xbox sold anywhere? Giftcards bought at Gamestop? If it's just that Gamestop is literally going to get a small slice (like, a fraction of a percent) of anything relating to Xbox sold anywhere, this is gigantic, but if it's just for stuff sold in store, it doesn't seem like much to incentivize Series S, and Used games are a gigantic profit margin for them

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what kind of share of that downstream revenue they are given. Are they given a cut of Game Pass subscriptions too, or just sales?

This is pretty smart. At the end of the day these manufacturers still need retail to push actual consoles and accessories, even if digital accounts for 90% of game sales at the end of this generation.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, I hope the employees are above using console wars rhetoric on you when you're just trying to buy a game.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Look like XBOX do all they could to re-win US market.

(Please, do some great things in EU too 😁)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting and yeah pretty much this makes gamestop incentivized to push xbox.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised MS is so willing to give money away to Gamestop, this will definitely get them to push Xbox more.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There would need to be some sort of deal where going to Gamestop to buy a digital copy is cheaper than the online store; otherwise, why go through the effort of driving there vice just buying it from one's house?

They're likely tracking serial numbers meaning any sale on those devices from the MS Store on Xbox results in credit going to GameStop. It's not just an in store thing for digital codes.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
How exactly would that work though. If a digital game is purchased on a device sold from GameStop, how will that revenue find itself back to them?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

I think MS will be tracking serial numbers of xboxes sold at GameStop. They will know when one of those Xboxes buys a game digitally and GameStop gets some revenue. You don't need to go in to the store to buy digital games.

Jul 10, 2020
Definitely interesting. I wonder what form this will take inside the store, specifically. Customer comes into the store without a preference, they steer them towards Xbox and don't mention PS5? Customer comes in the store looking for PS5, do they try and sell them on Xbox in addition?
You can bet your booty on a MASSIVE pr push when the Zenimax titles start dropping exclusively on the Ecosystem.

Probably a bigger focus on pre-paid cards/game pass card sales if titles aren't available.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
So now instead of asking you if you're interested in a subscription to Game Informer at checkout they'll ask if you're interested in an Xbox Series S?

Mar 8, 2018
It's very legal. If there's not an exclusive dealings clause (saying Gamestop can't make this same agreement with Sony), then there's nothing stopping Sony from doing the same thing. And even if there is such a clause, these sorts of agreements are all over the place in all sorts of industries. Nothing illegal about it.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
Me dumb: does this mean if one was to buy a Series S from Gamestop they would get revenue from future purchases on XBL?

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How exactly would that work though. If a digital game is purchased on a device sold from GameStop, how will that revenue find itself back to them?
If a digital game is purchased using a console with a serial number sold at GameStop, GameStop will get some of the revenue.
Me dumb: does this mean if one was to buy a Series S from Gamestop they would get revenue from future purchases on XBL?
That's exactly what it means.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
What stops every other retailer from asking for downstream digital revenue from the Xboxes they sell?