• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Wow!

This is a GOOD policy. I know it would be preferable to get a cash refund, but com'on no other store is doing this. If GS continued this policy for other or ALL new game purchases, I would definitely shop at GameStop more. I think this is a good step for GameStop to distinguish themselves from other retailers, and even from buying from Nintendo eShop.

am4Em8z.png

* Fine Print:
* Offer expires 6/30/19. Offer valid only on Super Mario Maker 2. Only valid on standard edition of new release priced at $59.99. Guaranteed trade credit value of $59.99 is maximum net value for game trade. Promotional trade credit does not include tax. Cannot be combined with credit bonus for paid PowerUp Rewards memberships or any other offer. Not valid toward cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Defective items may be eligible for trade at a lesser value. Trades subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lmao they are running this promotion with Mario Maker because they know the value isn't seen in the first two days

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this is a policy they started last month or so

i think Days Gone was the first title to utilize it

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This means I can get a used copy with one of those $20 off used copies right after launch.
Excited over here lol

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this would be worthless to me, i need more than 2 days to determine if i'm gonna keep a game or not at this age in life

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered mario maker from gamestop but come on, we keeping that forever

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
lmao they are running this promotion with Mario Maker because they know the value isn't seen in the first two days
Absolutely. This is a SUPER safe bet on their part. But it's smart. And it's definitely going to get the people on the fence about the game in the first place.

I mean it's not often we get to say this about GameStop: This is a great business move.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
They're doing it because who in god's name would return it that quickly, it's not like we don't know how it's gonna play.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
This means I can get a used copy with one of those $20 off used copies right after launch.
Excited over here lol
You know GameStop is gonna GameStop and restock those games as New, "but opened".

this would be worthless to me, i need more than 2 days to determine if i'm gonna keep a game or not at this age in life

Not me. I know within 2 hours if I'm going to keep playing a game. Hell, I just need 30 minutes.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
One of the safest bets in the history of mankind. Aint no one going into this blind not knowing how a 2D Mario game plays.
Totally agree. Its good PR and good marketing all-around.

I hope they continue this policy. I would love to do this with MUA3, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, and other Nintendo titles where "I'm pretty sure I want them, but $60 is a lot to spend on the risk that I may not enjoy them". If they keep this promotion going, I'd buy from GameStop.

OP
OP
TYRANITARR

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Who's gonna return Mario? Lol
You know, I was on the fence about buying this. I put in 90+ hours on Mario Maker 1. Before E3 I was like "Eh, it's just going to be more of the same, I'll pass on Mario Maker 2". But after E3 coverage, I see there's a lot of new great stuff.

But I can imagine there are others like me who already played MM1 and weren't excited about MM2.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
This may actually get me to pull the trigger on this game. I was super iffy about Mario Maker 1 (I absolutely hated the "you picked the wrong door, now die" levels) but this one looks promising so I think I'll try it out. No real harm if I can get a refund if I don't like it.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a safe game to do this on. The only people I could see returning it are people who get it for MP and then are baffled at not being able to play with friends, but otherwise there's no reason people going out to buy the game won't just keep it.

Still, personally not a huge pull for me to go there. Digital on the switch especially feels way more convenient, I really don't like swapping carts at all.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
With Days Gone it made sense because on a single player game you'd probably see most of what it has to offer in two days. Mario Maker isn't the best game to do this with imo.

Still a good policy though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I need to return this piece of shit - Bowser can't even fit in the glass pipes, fuck this game"

- No one

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Except this is a 2D mario. Everyone know what the game is and how it plays. Do you want a 2D mario game with unlimited levels, some bad but some extremely creative? Then Mario Maker is an amazing buy.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Neat gimmick. If you return it, they still reeled you into the store twice, so that's a win.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, good on Gamestop. They need more pro-customer policies. I loved their game pass a couple of summers ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
here at EB games NZ you can return a game up to 7 days after for any reason, including that you finished it.
Before they were bought by Gamestop in the US EB's return policy was 14 days no questions asked. I always shopped there for that reason despite never actually using it. I kept getting bad copies of FF9 so I swapped it a few times but never bought anything I needed to return, I just liked the safety of the policy.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Before they were bought by Gamestop in the US EB's return policy was 14 days no questions asked. I always shopped there for that reason despite never actually using it. I kept getting bad copies of FF9 so I swapped it a few times but never bought anything I needed to return, I just liked the safety of the policy.
Here its 7 days for new games and 14 days for second hand games. I was recommended by a store manager to order BOTW online to get it cheaper, buy it day one from them, and then return it when it arrived. :P So I did

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Good policy, but it's not enough to get me into a GS after the shit they've pulled on me in the past.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it's a super safe, super selective policy that I think it's almost pointless. They did this with Days Gone, wonder if they are seeing any returns from it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a simply return policy that started with Days Gone and it's going to be a thing for every major release.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
Wow!

This is a GOOD policy. I know it would be preferable to get a cash refund, but com'on no other store is doing this. If GS continued this policy for other or ALL new game purchases, I would definitely shop at GameStop more. I think this is a good step for GameStop to distinguish themselves from other retailers, and even from buying from Nintendo eShop.

am4Em8z.png

* Fine Print:

When I click on this link, I get a message stating that no GameStops within 100 miles of me (24 GS stores within 15 miles, Eastern Massachusetts) are participating in the promo.