• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I guess not everyone will watch the whole documentary but if anyone wants to hear what they have to say about the controversies that surrounded the release of the game: that part starts around 44:40

That's probably the thing the majority here is interested in.

Good documentary overall. Hope we'll see more Gameumentary documentaries in the future.

Last edited:

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
I guess not everyone will watch the whole documentary but if anyone wants to hear what they have to say about the controversies that surrounded the release of the game: that part starts around 44:40

Props to them for making a historically accurate game without being PC for the sake of it. The "controversy" was a bit much considering the location and time of the game.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Currently watching, really interesting stuff in this.
Thanks for posting, loved the game!

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for watching it! Controversy stuff was interesting to cover. I mainly wanted to do it in a way that didn't add any of our own words or angle to it. Hopefully came across that way!

And we will definitely be doing more docs. We've secured a contract to produce docs for the next two years! Here's our announcement post along with teaser shots of our next major doc: Larian Studios and Divinity: Original Sin :D

https://twitter.com/gameumentary/status/1018886125065293824

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Good documentary overall. Hope we'll see more Gameumentary documentaries in the future.
gonna watch this later, surprised they touched on the controversy.

Thanks for watching it! Controversy stuff was interesting to cover. I mainly wanted to do it in a way that didn't add any of our own words or angle to it. Hopefully came across that way!

And we will definitely be doing more docs. We've secured a contract to produce docs for the next two years! Here's our announcement post along with teaser shots of our next major doc: Larian Studios and Divinity: Original Sin :D

you guys are doing a great job with your content, keep it up.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Yeah, that was a good approach. You basically just let them tell how they experienced the whole thing which was interesting to hear since they didn't really give statements while the controversy was still going on IIRC.

That's great to hear. Looking forward to it.

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
gonna watch this later, surprised they touched on the controversy.

you guys are doing a great job with your content, keep it up.

Appreciate it! Very excited about what we've got in store for the future. Have a potential experimental project in the works as well that should be really interesting if we can pull it off correctly. Now we just gotta find a way to match Noclip's amazing numbers lol.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017

Very good stuff, nice job on this documentary :)
And Larian next... well that's just perfect. I'm going through Divinity original sin 2 at the moment and it's an absolutely incredible game. (and they are from belgium too, yay)
Can't wait !

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
Very good stuff, nice job on this documentary :)
And Larian next... well that's just perfect. I'm going through Divinity original sin 2 at the moment and it's an absolutely incredible game. (and they are from belgium too, yay)
Can't wait !

Thank you!

We had 20 years of history to cover with them. Have more content to use than I know what do with lol.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Does this address Vavra's support of Gamergate?
I've only watched "the controversy" part, but it doesn't even seem to be mentioned?

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Props to them for making a historically accurate game without being PC for the sake of it. The "controversy" was a bit much considering the location and time of the game.
The controversy is entirely on the director himself. You can disagree on whether that kind of game should have representation, that's not why the controversy got that big.

Does this address Vavra's support of Gamergate?
I've only watched "the controversy" part, but it doesn't even seem to be mentioned?
It seems to focus very much on the part if depicting black people in that region in that time period is accurate or not, but barely on Vavras comments on social media and stuff like that to me.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see a documentary that interviewed women who worked there asking what the working environment was like when their boss put out promotional images like this

DV6Y3lFW4AAxmJ3.jpg

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
omnobVt.jpg

Nah it was about more about the alt right director than there only being white people. Although for a game that isn't historically accurate in most respects, the decision to only have white people seems more like the director being racist than the team striving for historical accuracy

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is an interesting documentary.

KCD is a great idea with inconsistent execution. I enjoyed it though and I am looking forward to their next game.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I don't know man, I'm from an Eastern European country, and seeing a person of color just 10 years back was considered a novelty, let alone back in the medieval ages....so I don't get why people still insist that the game had to include people of color. Yes, the studio head is most likely a racist prick, but I (being someone from that part of the world) totally believe in the fact that during that time period there were no people of color in Bohemia.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Awesome, loved Divinity as well as Kingdom Come.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Does the documentary address the topic of rising nationalism in the Czech Republic and how national identity is formed these days?

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man, I'm from an Eastern European country, and seeing a person of color just 10 years back was considered a novelty, let alone back in the medieval ages....so I don't get why people still insist that the game had to include people of color. Yes, the studio head is most likely a racist prick, but I (being someone from that part of the world) totally believe in the fact that during that time period there were no people of color in Bohemia.
That was never the real problem. He could have handled the criticism reasonably but instead decided to be an ass about it. See some of the posts above.

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
I'd like to see a documentary that interviewed women who worked there asking what the working environment was like when their boss put out promotional images like this

DV6Y3lFW4AAxmJ3.jpg

We talked with a lot of people about this at the studio, and most had the same response as Tobi that Dan has a stubborn and very sarcastic personality. Tobi even addresses this in the doc explaining that Dan needs to be a bit more careful with what he says on social media. Doesn't really address what you asked about there, but just try to remember that the Czech Republic and Prague in general have a distinct culture and is very against censorship and all that sort of stuff.

Prague was the first European country I've visited and it actually takes some getting used to how different things are there. Smoking in the US = bad. Smoking in Prague? I don't know if I saw anyone that didn't have a cigarette in their hand lol. Not the best example, but I think unless you've actually been to the country (not saying you haven't!), it's hard to not project your own "vision" of what things should be because that is what's normal to you (talking from personal experience).

I won't state my opinion on anyone, but for example, there was a controversy that he was a conspiracy theorist because he watched a conspiracy video on YouTube about ancient aliens or something in Egypt (I can't remember exactly what it was) and people took that and ran with it and painted him as believing in stuff like that just based on his social media likes.

As I said in a message above, I intended to just let Warhorse give their side of the story on those controversies. We could have gone more in-depth with it probably, but I didn't want it to detract from the rest of the story or make it feel like I was pushing any sort of agenda in the slightest. I was surprised they talked to me about it as much as they did, on camera none the less.

My goal with Gameumentary is to not drive the narrative or push any political agendas. The games media has become so, so polarizing with that sort of stuff and I have no interest in taking part in any of that. I covered the controversy with this doc because I wanted to humanize the situation a bit and allow discussion without someone else putting words in anyone else's mouth.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Have loved the style of all the Gameumentary documentaries I watched so far, especially the Darksiders focused ones, so looking forward to watching this one since it's the first major game from a new studio in a country that doesn't have as developed a history in game development as other more traditional places.

I know there's a lot of extra layers of discussions going on about the game and it's studio head which takes up a good chuck of the discussion surrounding KC, but for me the core thing I loved most was just simply trotting around on my horse in the forest enjoying the digital rendition of a realistic rural medieval enviornment so I'm glad to be able to get more insight in how that part of the game was realised.

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
We need more people like you in the media... and outside the media.

Without sounding like I'm full of myself, I wish there were more people with my mindset in the media. It's definitely frustrating to have content like what we're doing constantly overlooked over the latest controversy, I'll say that much. And having to constantly read everyone's hot take on every little thing is exhausting.

My stance on political discussions is: If you want to talk about it, we'll do it in person over a beer where nobody else is going to just jump in and tell me how to think...unless they buy the next round of drinks first as good will.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
We talked with a lot of people about this at the studio, and most had the same response as Tobi that Dan has a stubborn and very sarcastic personality. Tobi even addresses this in the doc explaining that Dan needs to be a bit more careful with what he says on social media. Doesn't really address what you asked about there, but just try to remember that the Czech Republic and Prague in general have a distinct culture and is very against censorship and all that sort of stuff.

Prague was the first European country I've visited and it actually takes some getting used to how different things are there. Smoking in the US = bad. Smoking in Prague? I don't know if I saw anyone that didn't have a cigarette in their hand lol. Not the best example, but I think unless you've actually been to the country (not saying you haven't!), it's hard to not project your own "vision" of what things should be because that is what's normal to you (talking from personal experience).

I won't state my opinion on anyone, but for example, there was a controversy that he was a conspiracy theorist because he watched a conspiracy video on YouTube about ancient aliens or something in Egypt (I can't remember exactly what it was) and people took that and ran with it and painted him as believing in stuff like that just based on his social media likes.

As I said in a message above, I intended to just let Warhorse give their side of the story on those controversies. We could have gone more in-depth with it probably, but I didn't want it to detract from the rest of the story or make it feel like I was pushing any sort of agenda in the slightest. I was surprised they talked to me about it as much as they did, on camera none the less.

My goal with Gameumentary is to not drive the narrative or push any political agendas. The games media has become so, so polarizing with that sort of stuff and I have no interest in taking part in any of that. I covered the controversy with this doc because I wanted to humanize the situation a bit and allow discussion without someone else putting words in anyone else's mouth.

I've been to Prague multiple times, and have several friends who live there.

The women I know there don't find it to be "normal Czech culture" to have a boss that tweets in support of harassment campaigns.

Watching a documentary about aliens once is nothing like vocally supporting a hate group for three years straight.

I can respect how you didn't want to get political with your documentary, but you need to understand that the owner of the company that you chose to base it on is an outspoken misogynist. Trying to hand wave that fact away with anecdotes about how it's somehow acceptable because of where he lives and what a kooky guy he is does nothing to diminish him gloating over his support of a hate campaign and the pain and harassment those actions bring to thousands of people around the world.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Let's get the facts straight: GamerGate was, from the very start, a censorship campaign to silence criticism from voices they didn't agree with.

That pic with Vavra could be a symbolic censorship of women, showing all of the woman but her face. All the more reason to boycott KCD.

When I see developers supporting such a hate group, I feel enraged. I want my female, minority and LGBT friends to make and talk about games freely and feel safe on the internet and make gaming more accessible for everyone.

I believe that if gaming wants to mature, then we must allow and embrace political discussion, no matter how much people feel uncomfortable. After all, it's talked about all the time in film and literature. Why should gaming be an exception?

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
I've been to Prague multiple times, and have several friends who live there.

The women I know there don't find it to be "normal Czech culture" to have a boss that tweets in support of harassment campaigns.

Watching a documentary about aliens once is nothing like vocally supporting a hate group for three years straight.

I can respect how you didn't want to get political with your documentary, but you need to understand that the owner of the company that you chose to base it on is an outspoken misogynist. Trying to hand wave that fact away with anecdotes about how it's somehow acceptable because of where he lives and what a kooky guy he is does nothing to diminish him gloating over his support of a hate campaign and the pain and harassment those actions bring to thousands of people around the world.

I'm not hand waving anything? I said that the people who work for him said, on the record, he needs to be more careful about what he says online. I didn't include it in the documentary (really just couldn't find a place to fit it in pacing wise), but most people there, and even the women we interviewed love working there and a consistent thing people said was that it felt like "family". Literally telling you what I experienced, not whether it's right or wrong. I'm fully aware of the accusations levied against Vavra.

I really don't want to get involved in discussing GG, I've stayed far and away from that. But I don't recall Dan ever advocating for harassment against anyone (happy to be shown instances if I'm wrong there). I get advocating anything GamerGate wise is in "support" of that campaign. That I fully understand.

The main thing I saw, while researching this topic for the documentary, was that he was against any form of censorship and how the games media pushed their views of what his game, and others, should be.

Anyways, I don't want to seem like I'm defending his actions here. Just explaining what we talked about and what I researched going into the doc. That is all. No intention of getting in heated discussions about this or sharing my personal opinions on the matter.

Last edited:

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
What? If you help signal boost a harassment campaign then you are very actively advocating for harassment.

It kind of comes across like you're making excuses for Vavra's behaviour.

I'm not trying to in the slightest. Just giving you the background of what I experienced and researched for the doc. That's all.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
is this the documentary or behind the scenes thing that was part of the content plan? or is it like from someone else ala Noclip.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty offbase to treat the controversy as being based around the one blog complaining about the lack of PoC in the game, and not the over the top response by the director of the game that turned him into a GG figurehead and alt-right signal booster.

Like the director of your studio spreading Pizzagate nonsense seems more important than their historical accuracy catchall defense.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love documentaries that go into the developmental history of the game. I haven't seen it yet, but I really hope that it focuses on the game and development itself rather than the controversy surrounding.

WINGSFAN242

Oct 29, 2017
I love documentaries that go into the developmental history of the game. I haven't seen it yet, but I really hope that it focuses on the game and development itself rather than the controversy surrounding.

No worries there. There's maybe 8-10 min focused on that out of the entire doc which is an hour long. Hope you enjoy it!

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that response does rub me the wrong way.

All documentaries are inherently political, even Morgan Spurlock's One Direction: This Is Us acknowledged and delved into the politics of manufactured boybands with limited shelf life even if was clearly a sanitized positive PR package to promote One Direction. It wasn't explicit but Spurlock got the parents and band members to talk about these issues in a roundabout way.

A big problem with these "inside scoop" documentaries are that they're overly dependent on the subject to provide access/resources so you normally end up with little more than PR fluff that's only really interesting to people already interested in the subject. I'm not accusing the makers of any ulterior motive but to characterize the PR troubles as people getting upset at the game's diversity is kind of a problem in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think they come out looking particularly good considering how heated and defensive they seemed to get when confronted with a very sanitized interpretation of the issue. The "I have Liberal and Libertarian workers but..." defense used doesn't do them a lot of favors.

Last edited:

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I'm not trying to in the slightest.

It sounds like that's what you're doing when you're writing things like...
But I don't recall Dan ever advocating for harassment against anyone (happy to be shown instances if I'm wrong there).
Doesn't really address what you asked about there, but just try to remember that the Czech Republic and Prague in general have a distinct culture and is very against censorship and all that sort of stuff.

Just giving you the background of what I experienced and researched for the doc.
Honestly, given all the controversy surrounding Vavra and his very loud and proud support for Gamer Gate and the responses given here, it doesn't sound like you've done much research going into this.

Well he has been signal boosting another very harmful conspiracy theory, so...

As I said in a message above, I intended to just let Warhorse give their side of the story on those controversies.

I find the above quote at odds with the below quote. How did that work out?

I really don't want to get involved in discussing GG, I've stayed far and away from that.

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like that's what you're doing when you're writing things like...

Honestly, given all the controversy surrounding Vavra and his very loud and proud support for Gamer Gate and the responses given here, it doesn't sound like you've done much research going into this.

Well he has been signal boosting another very harmful conspiracy theory, so...

I find the above quote at odds with the below quote. How did that work out?
I think you should calm down a little. It's just a video about the creation of the game. The controversy about black people is relevant to the content of the game, while Vavra's Gamergate support is not. There is no GG or other kind of right wing propaganda in KCD.