• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Unfortunately no footage was allowed but impressions were that it ran at 60fps and looked pretty good.

-60fps and "very smooth" possibly locked 60, but obviously need to measure it
- impressive looking and they weren't sure why they weren't allowed to film because it looks great
- Obviously not on par with other versions I.e Johnny Cage looked a bit goofy once when he grinned (I guess maybe because of the lower poly model???). So don't expect 1:1 visual parity
- all the gore is still there

I know nearly everyone is getting it on another platform, but having a conformation of 60fps for me is awesome! My pre order remains after hearing this.

I just don't understand why they're not allowing filming!

The lack of filming is very unsettling. They perhaps have a very experimental build on the floor that is probably not final, but my gut just knows something is going to be awry with the switch port. Definitely going to hold out for switch reviews cause I am still torn between deciding on this and the PS4 version.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Heh, the split d-pad design of the Switch would be great for MK and having a portable version is appealing!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised they made it run at 60. I was expecting it to run at 30 and look blurry. The fact that it runs at 60 and still looks decent in portable mode makes me wonder what the cutbacks are.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The lack of filming is very unsettling. They perhaps have a very experimental build on the floor that is probably not final, but my gut just knows something is going to be awry with the switch port. Definitely going to hold out for switch reviews cause I am still torn between deciding on this and the PS4 version.
For what it's worth, they did the same or similar things last year with Wolfenstein and Dark Souls even though they let us play them fine.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018

this is not just a mk11 thing. we haven't seen footage for any "big" switch game playable at the pax. no ac3, no hellblade, no dq builders 2.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised they made it run at 60. I was expecting it to run at 30 and look blurry. The fact that it runs at 60 and still looks decent in portable mode makes me wonder what the cutbacks are.

IIRC, the Switch version was designed from the ground up with lower-poly models. There was a thread about it somewhere in the past.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
I've been using arcade stick for 9 years, but NRS games just feel better with a controller. This would actually be the first fighter that makes sense to pick up on the Switch because I wouldn't feel vastly handicapped on the go.

Rip my double dipping wallet.

Dec 11, 2017
We have only heard positive feedback thus far, from show goers...but still...nothing to see on our end. Hopefully Nintendo Minute shows something. That or we get an official Nintendo Switch trailer for the game, this weekend.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
MK9 on Vita was 60fps so it was to be expected that MK11 on Switch would take the same approach. NeverRealm isn't afraid to let the port studio cut back graphical quality inorder to maintain that framerate.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
... weren't sure why they weren't allowed to film because it looks great
... Johnny Cage looked a bit goofy once when he grinned
If it's noticeable on show floor demo, you absolutely don't want it out in the wild. Just take a look at Id's Switch ports threads.

It's a FG, only SNK is crazy enough to let go 60fps with their port, and probably only for their "who actually care about the gameplay" fighting game.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not really if this version is heavily downgraded.
Oh, it wouldn't be a primary version or anything but I had a great time with the Vita version in addition to the PS3 iteration of MK9. It looked horrible on Vita but it played great and was nice to have on the go.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
The 60fps really helped the vita versions of Injustice and MK. I can only imagine this being so much better. Once you start focusing on the gameplay you'll forget about the visuals

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I wonder how it would look on a switch pro model. Switch version was built with lower polygon models.. Could they just simply increase it in a patch to match PS4/xbone versions? hmmm

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I wonder how it would look on a switch pro model. Switch version was built with lower polygon models.. Could they just simply increase it in a patch to match PS4/xbone versions? hmmm

I should think that they can just do whatever is necessary in the Switch build to upgrade it and then patch it out for Switch Pro owners.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
If this is a good port, I'm seriously considering picking this up on the Switch.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
of Course it's not going to look exactly like the other versions. That's okay as long as it's smooth and contains all the features. That's exactly what a switch port should be.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mortal Kombat 9 was superb on Vita (and from what I understand Injustice was iffier but still pretty good) so there is a history of NRS games being very scalable.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone play AC3 on the Switch yet? I imagine that game is not allowed to be filmed either.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

I dont think the Switch pro will be on par with PS4 or Xbox power. So it will be possible to upgrade a little de visuals but not match.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If it's hitting a locked 60, I'll make this my main version and I'll probably grab the PS4 version up in a sale.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm sure the version for the Switch will be great, and portability would be nice (note sure how many people I want to dismember on a bus sitting next to an old lady), but is anyone concerned about backward comparability. It seems Sony, MS, and PC all have some sort of plan for this, and Nintendo seems to throw games away each gen. Wouldn't you rather be able to play a little MK11 on Next gen and not worry about Nintendo making you rebuy? Especially since we seem to be getting closer to a next gen.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If the game was made with the Switch Pro in mind, there's always a possibility that there's a higher LoD for character models that can be used
Probably too much effort. I have not seen many improvements like this in Pro or X.

I'm sure the version for the Switch will be great, and portability would be nice (note sure how many people I want to dismember on a bus sitting next to an old lady), but is anyone concerned about backward comparability. It seems Sony, MS, and PC all have some sort of plan for this, and Nintendo seems to throw games away each gen. Wouldn't you rather be able to play a little MK11 on Next gen and not worry about Nintendo making you rebuy? Especially since we seem to be getting closer to a next gen.

Switch is their first console in several generations without being backwards compatible...

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
"Johnny Cage looked a bit goofy once when he grinned"

That happens even in high-res versions.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably too much effort. I have not seen many improvements like this in Pro or X.

Switch is their first console in several generations without being backwards compatible...

OK, I'm not actually trying to be flippant here as I owned a Wii and a Wii U. They had a process for playing Wii games on Wii U? I know on handhelds...

Oct 29, 2017
Probably looks a lot worse on closer scrutiny... I suspect that its flaws won't be as visible in handheld mode (hence why they didn't allow it to be filmed)

Speaks volumes about the confidence in their product... Expecting a MK9 Vita level disasterpiece here...

Oct 28, 2017
60fps is all I need. What's the worst graphical downgrade it can get? I tell you this. It aint gonna be as severe as Mortal Kombat Vita, and I was more than ok with that game. As long as it plays right that's all I need.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
Probably looks a lot worse on closer scrutiny... I suspect that its flaws won't be as visible in handheld mode (hence why they didn't allow it to be filmed)

Speaks volumes about the confidence in their product... Expecting a MK9 Vita level disasterpiece here...
Was mk9 vita really a disaster ? I remember that it was more than a decent port. Not the best way to play it for sure, but it was quite good.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly, MK9 Vita wasn't even a port, but a bespoke version that only used the art assets (but heavily scaled down).

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's running an older build of the game and they don't want direct comparisons with the PS4 version.
Yup, and I can see the threads here "switch mk11 runs at 58 frames and lower poly count, should they cancel?" We cant have nice things.
As long as it runs at 60fps I'd be happy. I thought the mk9 vita version was good looking in motion but people always posted stills when the game looked fine in motion.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

You seem to ignore the fact that they stated it actually looked pretty good... None of the games demoed was allowed to be filmed I believe, so I don't think you can necessarily draw conclusions from that about MK11 visuals.