• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
banner298sxa.png

Back in the Old Country, I don't recall us having an OT for GameXplain.

But here in the New Country, we're gonna fix that!

SO WHAT IS GAMEXPLAIN?

First, play this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW9u_NCUZe8

GameXplain is primarily a YouTube channel (click here) that explains games… But it's also so much more! For diehard Nintendo fans, it's like the spiritual successor to beloved game mag Nintendo Power (with occasional coverage of games on other systems). Their coverage is exhaustive — and I'm sorry to say that if you weren't around for their daily discussions of Smash Bros WiiU/3DS, you missed out!

Some of their recurring features include:

- GAME & WATCH, where one of their shining personalities tries out a new release — from a demo of an obscure indie, up through the latest and greatest blockbusters. This is especially helpful in the Switch era where our cups runneth over with indies!

- COOL BITS, where they examine "small details that really resonated with us." One of my favorite episodes is the one about Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run on the SNES, where the umpire will turn around and tap on the TV screen if you idle too long!

- PREVIEWS / REVIEWS, where you can get a detailed breakdown of a game's potential and, when all's said and done, a final verdict delivered not with an abstract number, but a simple emoji showing how the game made them feel. The recent spoiler-free Super Mario Odyssey review dove into the hitherto uncharted waters of "Mind-blowing!"

- PREDICTIONS / RAW REACTIONS / DISCUSSIONS, which is part of my ritual for every Nintendo Direct, E3 and major game release. Tune into GX before a big event to hear the crew's feverish speculation, hopes and dreams about what will be shown; then tune into them afterward for their first impressions; and later there may be a more in-depth discussion where they revisit the topic after they've had time to digest it.

Although it feels funny to say "more in-depth" — some of their prediction pieces and raw reactions can run nearly an hour or more… and it's a pleasure the whole way through! Which brings us to…

- THE OLD ANALYSIS MACHINE, which puts the "Xplain" in "GameXplain." These are straight-up astonishing in their thoroughness and attention to detail, dissecting even the shortest scrap of game footage to atoms, and uncovering lots of neat details along the way. Sometimes they'll speculate and make educated guesses that end up off the mark, but even then you'll come away with a deeper appreciation of the craftsmanship that goes into a Nintendo game.

And more often than not, they're right on the money. Andre's incredible analysis of each trailer leading up to Mario Kart 8 pretty much nailed the layouts for each track. Even though Nintendo did their best to chop up and rearrange the footage in a way that normal human minds can't comprehend, the Analysis Machine reassembled it and revealed each track's true form. However hyped you may feel about a Nintendo game going in, you'll come out of an analysis with your hype increased tenfold!

Also, some of these analyses are LONG. Two titans that come to mind are their post-E3 analysis of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (click here — TWO HOURS!) and their analysis of Super Mario Odyssey following the January reveal (click here — nearly an hour and a half!)

Heck, remember the super-short reveal for BotW at E3 2014? Yeah, they squeezed 14 minutes of analysis out of it. They don't waste any time either, breathlessly unspooling detail after detail. They took a single scene of Hyrule Field and found so many details that it's absurd.

It's so good… although it makes you wonder if there are crimes going unsolved because these guys are too busy scrutinizing trailers instead of crime scenes. /thinking.gif

BUT WHO IS GAMEXPLAIN?

The core cast of GX comprises the nicest people you'll ever have the pleasure of listening to geek out about games. Theirs is a friendly, all-inclusive vibe where every guest is treated with utmost respect. Their enthusiasm is infectious; their passion is genuine; and their concerns, when they have them, are measured and fair.

So yeah, I kinda like them! Here's a rundown of the main trio:

andrecartoonv6swd.png

ANDRE SEGERS, the Mario of GameXplain. (Stalk him here!).

Andre may have felt "so-so" about Kid Icarus Uprising — which is crazy since KIU is, like, the greatest game ever made — but I'm willing to forgive this transgression because he enjoyed Star Fox Zero. Also, listening to Andre gush about games (and theme parks!) gives me life.

Some of his favorite games I recall offhand include Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart: Double Dash. Andre also has a deep appreciation for Stunt Race FX and City Trial in Kirby Air Ride. He doesn't really like Mario Sunshine, but hey — nobody's perfect.

In addition to his analyses, I also want to highlight his Mario Maker creations, including the recent Blast Corps N64 that does a brilliant job translating the Rare classic into Mario's world. He also arranges community events like tournaments in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from time to time, which he live-streams and invites fans to join. These are always a good time!

If you're ever feeling down about something, cheer up and listen to Andre get hype, because you'll remember there are a lot of fun things in this world!

derrickcartoonyms2v.png

DERRICK BITNER, the Luigi of GameXplain. (Stalk him here!)

You'll know it's Derrick talking because he has a soft voice and likes to open with "Hellooooooooo, everyone!" Derrick has a vast portfolio of work on GX, and he brings a decidedly educated touch to many of his productions with what I suspect is a literary background.

His tastes in gaming also skew a bit more cerebral, being GX's go-to guy for JRPGs like Pokémon and Xenoblade Chronicles, and tactical sims from Code Name STEAM to Fire Emblem — the latter of which he has live-streamed several installments in full.

Andre just wants to jump on stuff, but Derrick wants to slow down, consider the statistics, and carefully weigh the pros and cons of each move. Although he does enjoy a good Kirby platformer!

Want some gaming goodness and friendly commentary to veg out to in the background? Find a stream by Derrick and let him take you on an epic adventure! He usually streams twice weekly, on Saturday and Sunday.

ashcartoonkxsc4.png

ASH PAULSEN, the… hmm, I guess the Yoshi of GameXplain. Yeah, that works — everyone loves Yoshi, and everyone loves Ash! (Stalk him here!)

Although Ash's favorite videogame character is actually X, of Mega Man X fame. Hence the moniker that might be more familiar to those of us from The Old Country — MaverickHunterAsh!

His favorite games (correct me if I'm wrong, Ash) include Chrono Trigger, Okami, The Wind Waker, and pretty much everything with "Mega Man" on the box. He also really, REALLY wants Nintendo to finally bring Smash Bros to Nintendo Switch. And yes, he mains the Blue Bomber!

Ash provides some of the most articulate and thoughtful commentary in discussions, and he has no shortage of trivia to share on his favorite games. When he speaks, you listen! And like the rest of the GX crew, he's one of the nicest people around.

RELEVANT LINKS!

- Bookmark this page, but don't forget to like and subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/user/GameXplain/videos
- Consider supporting them on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GameXplain
- Listen to their podcast on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/gamexplain

And don't forget to take every opportunity to remind Andre that Kid Icarus Uprising is an amazing game.

banner1hjsfp.png

Last edited:

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like the in depth trailer dissection they do sometimes.

Worth noting is that this group is VERY Nintendo favoring. But they do cover other stuff sometimes.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Gamexplain do good work. Very likable group of guys and really professional in their work.

Also Andre, Mario Kart Double Dash is a bad game. It is time Gamexplain recognizes that.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see they Game but where does the plain fit in their Game X Plain crossover

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really like GameXplain, they're probably in my top 5 of favorite channels. I'm so glad that I was able to discover them last year.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their Mario 3D world videos were pretty hype.

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
I enjoy this channel... though I gotta go on a media blackout from them many times over with their video spoiler postings.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
*sniff* Did someone just turn on the New Donk City Festival or something, because it seems my eyes are watering. Always appreciated seeing your well-researched and robust OPs on another site, so it's amazing to finally be the subject of one...even if you just had to rain on my parade with that Mario Sunshine line! Seriously, y'all are way too kind.

Also Andre, Mario Kart Double Dash is a bad game. It is time Gamexplain recognizes that.

...except for you.

Just kidding! Your post was far too kind too! Plus I know it'll just take a Double Dash 2 for some of you to finally see the light (we are going to get a Double Dash 2 right? Right?!)

Last edited:

Trance

Oct 25, 2017
Love these good boys. Got me through many tough times by keeping me company on long drives and dark days.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
*sniff* Did someone just turn on the New Donk City Festival or something, because it seems my eyes are watering. Always appreciated seeing your amazing OPs on another site, so it's amazing to finally be the subject of one! Y'all are way too kind.
Glad you like it! I was a little nervous since it's the first OP I've made about a living/feeling human being (although I'm not sure you're actually human, given your superhuman work on those analyses)!

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
*sniff* Did someone just turn on the New Donk City Festival or something, because it seems my eyes are watering. Always appreciated seeing your amazing OPs on another site, so it's amazing to finally be the subject of one! Y'all are way too kind.

...except for you.

Just kidding! Your post was far too kind too! Plus I know it'll just take a Double Dash 2 for some of you to finally see the light (we are going to get a Double Dash 2 right? Right?!)

We're never getting a Double Dash 2 because even Nintendo recognizes that a terrible mistake the first one was.

Great job on the Mario Odyssey review. Now that I finished the story, I am looking forward to listening to your post-review discussions. Hopefully Nintendo announces a new Smash Bros soon and they put out weekly information. I always enjoyed getting home on a Friday afternoon and listening to your guys weekly roundup and discussion.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I very highly recommend the podcast, usually every week on schedule and the host even manages to pull off an entertaining hour long solo act if the other team members are busy. Dunno how the hell he does that.

*sniff* Did someone just turn on the New Donk City Festival or something, because it seems my eyes are watering. Always appreciated seeing your well-researched and robust OPs on another site, so it's amazing to finally be the subject of one...even if you just had to rain on my parade with that Mario Sunshine line! Seriously, y'all are way too kind.

...except for you.

Hey Andre! Big Gamexplain fan here! Any chance you could tell RogersBase to tone it down a bit in future discussions? Love the guy's enthusiasm and spirit, but he has a bad habit of cutting off the rest of you, and hurting my ears a bit. :P

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The weekly recap of the Smash Bros updates were the BEST. For us Nintendo nerds, it was like getting a mini-discussion on the most niche of topics. "Oh, Sablé Prince from Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru was announced as an assist trophy. Let's share our thoughts!"

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain is awesome. I enjoy pretty much all the types of content they put out, but I think my favorite are their discussions/predictions of gaming news. In a way it's kinda similar to reading a forum, but you get more in depth and friendlier conversation than a forum since they're all taking to each other directly and they all know each other.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
GX, and BotW are the reason why I started watching analysis and podcast videos on YT.

I must have watched their BotW analysis videos over 20 times each.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Honestly find it a little scummy how they rip content from official Nintendo channels then re-upload it with ads attached.
Wish they'd chill with the 'here's the final boss' videos on the day a game launches. Been spoilt by their thumbnails a couple of times.

On the plus side though! The analysis' are generally very well done and there's an obvious love and genuine enthusiasm for Nintendo which shines through.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Love these guys. There video reviews are also ones I trust the most, very well made

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Gamexplain makes consistently good video content. Their analysis stuff is legendary. They're one of my first stops for video previews from Nintendo events and their reviews are generally pretty good too. The only stuff of their's that I don't watch are their discussion videos as they became too rambling for me. But otherwise, one of the best Nintendo focused youtube channels out there.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed the OT wasn't a 1.5hr analysis but I guess ill take it.

Jokes aside, cool to see GX up in here. I definitely enjoy the content!

Oct 28, 2017
My hype for Super Mario Maker was what introduced me to GameXplain. Those analysis videos for Mario Maker were something else. I fell in love with them from there and they're now my go to gaming channel.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the days when they were mostly just analysis and CoolBits. Now they feel the need to spoil every little thing. One of their Odyssey video straight up spoilt a post game kingdom with the title! (good thing I only saw it afterwards). It's the reason I unsubscribed.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gamexplain is great, their analysis vids are the best. Especially true for the BotW vids which saved me during exam weeks during long study sessions.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I love GameXplain! A+ analysis on everything, the other content? could leave it & do.

I miss the days when they were mostly just analysis and CoolBits. Now they feel the need to spoil every little thing. One of their Odyssey video straight up spoilt a post game kingdom with the title! (good thing I only saw it afterwards). It's the reason I unsubscribed.
so much this, the spoiler stuff as soon as the game comes out is sick IMO, it just screams headlines instead of fan appreciation for Nintendo.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
GX discussions are like some of my favorite things. Like mini podcasts for normal commutes to work, the store, friends/family houses, menial busy work, etc!

It's cool to see 2/3 of the main crew on resetera as well :)

Mario Kart Double Dash is Top 3 best MK games, I agree Andre :P

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
One of their Odyssey video straight up spoilt a post game kingdom with the title! (good thing I only saw it afterwards). It's the reason I unsubscribed.
Yeah I noticed a bit of that also. It hasn't ruined their channel for me. But considering they might read this, I would offer some friendly feedback to maybe uh... not do that. The spoiler titles/thumbnails ain't cool!

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always look forward to watch Derrick's streams, specially the Fire Emblem ones! The fella is a charismatic guy and usually calm (but try to watch his Sticker Star videos and not notice his rage!). Andre is usually the one that tries some of the biggest releases and reminds me of the gametrailers chap.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Great youtube channel, wish they were a bit bigger so they could do more coverage even of smaller Nintendo stuff. Andre, Derek, and Ash are all just top tier guys enjoy interacting with them on twitter/era.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
I have been a sub since 2011, love the crew and the channel.
I can really feel their passion toward video games (especially for Nintendo stuff, which is great!).

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
I have never followed anyone in the gaming industry as I do GameXplain. Been a fan since the Pokemon X&Y analysis machine days (back in early 2013) and never looked back!
The Sm4sh discussions where lots of fun to listen to and it was great to see everyone excited for the new iteration of the franchise.
With the Switch just starting off, they're becoming bigger and bigger and I'm happy to see that. They are, imo, the best in the industry when it comes to Nintendo related stuff...they never fail to deliver.

GX has some of the most lovable folks in the medium. From Andre's passion for Mario games to Derrick's calming streams with jRPGs...and of course Ash's constant gushing over Smash, everything Megaman, and
his wife, which I find pretty cute :]

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I wish someone would buy them a better capture card and/or they would encode their videos properly. Their videos look low res and blurry. I know it's a minor nitpick but no other gaming channel I follow has this issue so they really stand out.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
I am a huge fan of these guys. Watch them often. My only issue is that thier video titles can be a touch spoilerey once a game is released. It is the smallest of nitpicks. They really are a great channel.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
GameXplain is one of my favorite YouTube channels.

I love discussing small things, and GX are experts at finding even the smallest stuff in trailers and previews as well as discussing them to death!

I just wish they would do more non-Nintendo stuff, but I've seen the reception of their Persona 5 coverage, so I understand if they don't want to do more of that regularly.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
I like the discussions/predictions videos with Rogersbase, it's always fun. The Xenoblade streams with Derrick were good too, I hope he will do a video with chuggaaconroy again for XC2 !

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
One of the few gaming Youtube channels I actually follow. I'm always impressed by the small details they find in trailers and the speed in which they post discussions about any sort of Nintendo news. Their pre and post Direct discussions are always worth a listen.