• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Platinum got the full ownership.

It also makes me think if this is Nintendo favoring Platinum or them really trying hard to get the full ownership of the IP. Would Mistwalker be able to recover The Last Story given how irrelevant it is to Nintendo?
I think the kicker is someone willing to buy the IPs. there's a lot of IPs nintendo have that they don't do anything with, but who's gonna buy them? who's gonna buy shit like Ice Climbers or Golden Sun when you can make your own characters and IP? and would the price even be worth it?

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I think the kicker is someone willing to buy the IPs. there's a lot of IPs nintendo have that they don't do anything with, but who's gonna buy them? who's gonna buy shit like Ice Climbers or Golden Sun when you can make your own characters and IP? and would the price even be worth it?
yeah, it's pretty clear that W101 might be a special case here due to being both dormant and of bigger personal value to Platinum/Kamiya

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Could there have been an agreement in the contract like "rights revert to Platinumgames if Nintendo neglects to continue using the IP" like the Spider-Man movie deal?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
If Nintendo is so profit driven that all they can focus on is their big sellers then they might as well go 3rd party. They are a platform holder and have been padding their lineup with their WiiU first party releases. The fact that they are leaving this particular one behind, and hanging one of their few close partners out to dry to the point that it needs to be crowdfunded, is pathetic.
They just funded and published a game with this same exact partner in Astral Chain and is also funding and publishing Bayonetta 3, even though Nintendo knows those won't be exactly huge sales successes.

I wouldn't say pathetic at all, especially since they worked out a deal to let Platinum have the IP. Nintendo could've told them to buzz off and kept it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ah man, makes me remember one of the best parts of the game that sadly wont be included in any ports... the Miiverse community. Great stuff in there

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could there have been an agreement in the contract like "rights revert to Platinumgames if Nintendo neglects to continue using the IP" like the Spider-Man movie deal?

Doubtful, Platinum had no plans for self publishing back when The Wonderful 101 would have started development and if that was a common clause tons of other small devs would be re-releasing old Nintendo games.

They almost certainly cut some kind of deal with Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful, Platinum had no plans for self publishing back when The Wonderful 101 would have started development and if that was a common clause tons of other small devs would be re-releasing old Nintendo games.

They almost certainly cut some kind of deal with Nintendo.

Imagine if the creator of Custom Robo could just put out a new Custom Robo game instead of making a new IP with the same concept and gameplay like he's doing right now.

Apr 21, 2018
That's not true as the game is fully playable without a gamepad. You don't miss much by not using one.

I'm sure they'll rework some shit in the end but there won't be any "serious re-tooling" on that front. At least, I don't think so.

B2 did have a stylus mode while TMS used the GP as a smartphone though.

Yeah it's fully playable without the gamepad but it uses an awful picture-in-picture compromise, and it'd be a really bad decision if that was the default way to play those sections. It'd be enough of a bad decision to make me question a re-purchase.

Deleted member 7373

It will be pretty brutal if it turns out epic games has already money hatted the PC version if this is real. The ultimate monkeys paw. I have been waiting to play this game for so long and it will be pretty lame if it comes to PC but not on Steam.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
If Nintendo is so profit driven that all they can focus on is their big sellers then they might as well go 3rd party. They are a platform holder and have been padding their lineup with their WiiU first party releases. The fact that they are leaving this particular one behind, and hanging one of their few close partners out to dry to the point that it needs to be crowdfunded, is pathetic.

That's a take. Platinum has and continues to receive substantial business from Nintendo. TW101 was a sales bomb. It's not a critical darling. It's got a minor cult following at best. Nintendo is sitting on tons of dormant IP with more potential. If they released it to Platinum, it's a better move than adding it to the pile.

It shows Nintendo has no confidence in:

- Their original IPs
- Their developer partners
- Taking risks with fan favorite games

This is the same Nintendo that gave Astral Chain a big marketing push, and funded two Bayonetta sequels.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the creator of Custom Robo could just put out a new Custom Robo game instead of making a new IP with the same concept and gameplay like he's doing right now.

I guess the question is what (if anything) Nintendo got in return?

Allowing Synaptic Drive to just be Custom Robo would be nice but it's not in Nintendo's(or any publicly traded companies) interest to be nice for the sake of it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It will be pretty brutal if it turns out epic games has already money hatted the PC version if this is real. The ultimate monkeys paw. I have been waiting to play this game for so long and it will be pretty lame if it comes to PC but not on Steam.
If it comes to Epic, it'll end up on Steam eventually.
The important thing is having it work on the platform. If there's timed Epic exclusivity, then this increases the chances that the eventual Steam release will have the most egregious bugs already patched out.

Deleted member 7373

If it comes to Epic, it'll end up on Steam eventually.
The important thing is having it work on the platform. If there's timed Epic exclusivity, then this increases the chances that the eventual Steam release will have the most egregious bugs already patched out.
Honestly this is the one game where I would buy it on the EGS if it comes there (and then on Steam later if it comes). Big fan of Platinum Games. Just not going to be super happy about it lol

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Honestly this is the one game where I would buy it on the EGS if it comes there (and then on Steam later if it comes). Big fan of Platinum Games. Just not going to be super happy about it lol
I spent most of last year being very angry about Epic's shenanigans.

Eventually, I realized that what they do is actually relieve me of the guilt I sometimes feel when I don't buy a game that looks promising on release, especially a new IP. Before I used to feel that my apathy might contribute to poor sales and a promising IP being shelved.

Now with Epic paying upfront in their vain attempts to starve Steam without content, I don't feel that way anymore. Any devs that get an Epic moneyhat is automatically one that can survive without my immediate purchase.

And due to being a (non-gaming) laptop gamer for almost 8 years last generation, I have an enormous backlog to go back to, so I absolutely never really feel like I'm missing out on the must-have new hotness... Because I still have amazing games from over a decade ago to discover for myself.

I do like Platinum's output, but at this point I just don't have a "god-tier" favourite dev. I'm past that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

It also makes me think if this is Nintendo favoring Platinum or them really trying hard to get the full ownership of the IP. Would Mistwalker be able to recover The Last Story given how irrelevant it is to Nintendo?
The thing is: The IPs for which Nintendo does not care, it is very likely that nobody cares about it commercially.

Kamiya obviously loves Wonderful 101, it's like his baby. This decision is more a product of passion than of a logical commercial decision.

Mistwalker has zero interest in returning to console development, so it doesn't do them much good to get the game back.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is: The IPs for which Nintendo does not care, it is very likely that nobody cares about it commercially.

Kamiya obviously loves Wonderful 101, it's like his baby. This decision is more a product of passion than of a logical commercial decision.

To be honest I think it could do pretty well now. Multiplatform release for systems with bigger communities. Both the game and Platinum have more clout now. Probably mostly cover the costs of porting with the kickstarter money. etc

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean... It's only been a little under seven years. There's basically no good reason for Nintendo to have agreed to have something like that in the contract when they held all the cards.

Seems much more likely that Nintendo knows the i.p. is literally worthless to them, and since they have a good relation with platinum and they were able to work something out.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

That and got to see if Nintendo is willing to sell anything on the first place.

I thought that could've been the case but it doesn't seem to be like that.

Got to see what's the situation with that IP's ownership compared to TW101, not all the IPs ownership status are the same.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao Nintendo. They have to crowdfund a port of a Nintendo funded game to a new Nintendo platform? Insane.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That and got to see if Nintendo is willing to sell anything on the first place.

I thought that could've been the case but it doesn't seem to be like that.

Got to see what's the situation with that IP's ownership compared to TW101, not all the IPs ownership status are the same.

Custom Robo would have been co-owned by Noise. Nintendo shares all of their third party developed IPs AFAIK, including The Legendary Starfy despite the fact TOSE's whole MO is that they only work in the background.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of bigger developers turning to Kickstarter. Surely Platinum Games can find this themselves after selling millions and millions of copies of games over the years?

Kind of makes a mockery of crowdsourcing and draws attention and funds away from tiny teams who actually need the finances to have a chance at their first big break.

But on the other hand, if this is how W101 arrives on current gen and that makes people happy then good for those people.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Custom Robo would have been co-owned by Noise. Nintendo shares all of their third party developed IPs AFAIK, including The Legendary Starfy despite the fact TOSE's whole MO is that they only work in the background.

What I mean is that the situation with TW101 now might be different from those , as far as we're told.

Nintendo dont own it anymore. Out of their hands

It's ironic though, it might still come to Switch and Nintendo probably didn't really have to lift a finger.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of bigger developers turning to Kickstarter. Surely Platinum Games can find this themselves after selling millions and millions of copies of games over the years?

Kind of makes a mockery of crowdsourcing and draws attention and funds away from tiny teams who actually need the finances to have a chance at their first big break.

But on the other hand, if this is how W101 arrives on current gen and that makes people happy then good for those people.
Platinum only has two big hits, Nier Automata and now Astral Chain.
The first Bayo underperformed to the point Sega axed development of the second one until Nintendo picked up the tab, so they haven't been selling millions and millions - they probably have enough to keep the lights on but not enough to port and publish a game that is almost self guaranteed to bomb again.
Though Kickstarting they're simply going to gauge if there's demand for the game to do the ports or if it's truly dead.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

?

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Platinum only has two big hits, Nier Automata and now Astral Chain.
The first Bayo underperformed to the point Sega axed development of the second one until Nintendo picked up the tab, so they haven't been selling millions and millions - they probably have enough to keep the lights on but not enough to port and publish a game that is almost self guaranteed to bomb again.
Though Kickstarting they're simply going to gauge if there's demand for the game to do the ports or if it's truly dead.
Sega was disappointed, but Bayonetta sold 1.35 million units across PS3 and Xbox 360 in its fiscal year of release (source).

Sega was disappointed, but Bayonetta sold 1.35 million units across PS3 and Xbox 360 in its fiscal year of release (source).
The disappointment came from how many of those copies were sold when it dropped to $20. They would have probably funded Bayonetta 2 had it reached that number while it was still full price.

I know folks hate to think of it this way, but despite the contracts they've gotten in the past and some of the IPs they got their hands on, they really haven't produced particularly many unqualified hits. They're not too dissimilar from Obsidian in that regard, who also had to turn to Kickstarter to fund passion projects since publishers wouldn't give them the time of day.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would the rights revert back? Platinum games didn't originally own the IP and Nintendo licensed the video game rights to make games like the Marvel/Sony Spider-Man license movie deal you compared it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.