• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
GameXplain posted a video in which they picked the best Switch eShop games, in many categories.

Here are their picks, in case you can't watch the video.

Best Shooter: Graceful Explosion Machine.
Best Rhythm Game: Thumper.
Best Puzzle Game: Snipperclips Plus.
Best Competitive Game: Rocket League.
Best Budget Game: Earth Wars.
Best Story: Night in the Woods.
Best Game from a Major Publisher: Sonic Mania.
Best Local Multiplayer: Overcooked!
Most Graphically Impressive Game: Fast RMX.
Best idea that shouldn't work but somehow does: Battle Chef Brigade.
Biggest Time Sink: Stardew Valley.
Best Definitive Version: Cave Story+.
Best Exclusive: Golf Story.
2nd best eShop game: Steamworld Dig 2.
Best eShop game: Celeste.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Great choices, even if Celeste wouldn't be my favorite. The Switch eShop has a stunningly impressive selection of games, of all genres.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I love how every game gets its own award. I was almost expecting to see "Best shooter featuring a cybernetic crustacean" or somesuch. /jk

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised Splatoon 2, Zelda, and Mario did not make the cut. Is it because they had a physical release? So did Snipperclips Plus.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised Splatoon 2, Zelda, and Mario did not make the cut. Is it because they had a physical release? So did Snipperclips Plus.
I wouldn't think too hard about it. Cave Story got a retail release too, but whatever. They clearly just wanted to take the spotlight away from full retail games

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Great video, GX. Really fun to watch.

Graceful Explosion Machine will always be the best in my heart.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Thanks for the thread! The eShop has so many amazing games and if I could I would have made the video 5x longer but that would probably put a spanner in our week of Switch productivity. Furi is another game I would have liked to talk about but I'm sure there'll be an opportunity for another video like this.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can only imagine how nice it would be to buy a Switch right now and have such a plethora of games to indulge in. Mines spent a great deal of the last year turned on.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Statements like this seems strange to me, if you also say:

Why is it strange? Do I have strange taste in games? I think it's strange that people are giving awards to some of these games over Specter and Wonder Boy. How about Shantae and its 2 awesome expansion packs? I think this list is strange!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it strange? Do I have strange taste in games? I think it's strange that people are giving awards to some of these games over Specter and Wonder Boy. How about Shantae and its 2 awesome expansion packs? I think this list is strange!

It's strange because you claim that certain games should be on the list, without having played the games on the list to make a comparison.

More specifically: mentioning platformers in the 79-84 MC range, without having played the only 2D platformer that is on the list (Celeste, at 93 MC with 30 reviews).

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
It's strange because you claim that certain games should be on the list, without having played the games on the list to make a comparison.

More specifically: mentioning platformers in the 79-84 MC range, without having played the only 2D platformer that is on the list (Celeste, at 93 MC with 30 reviews).

I said I only owned Sonic. I've played about half of those games on other platforms before.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
That list is pretty close to what my digital library looks like on Switch. Good taste high five!

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Really excellent selection. Only winner I'd change is Best Shooter, because Enter the Gungeon, baby! Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Snake Pass are two other games which I thoroughly enjoyed but weren't mentioned anywhere. So many gems...

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should do this more often, maybe every quarter of the year? I'm always so lost in the Switch eShop. Too much choice.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
You could have easily base steamworld dig 2 best metroidvania and celeste best platformer :P great list of games

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I missed Night in the Woods since my backlog is huge already, will get it once that there's a sale. Cool that Battle Chef Brigade is receiving recognition, it deserves more.

I'm getting Fast RMX in the next sale mostly because of how good it looks.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bad choices all around.

It seems that they only know the mainstream games with one exception.

"Cave Story (...) one of best games ever...". Really? -_-

I know that lists are subjective, but, in my totally personal opinion, this one sucks.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It seems that they only know the mainstream games with one exception.
It's GameXplain. They cover games on Nintendo hardware as a full time job. Yes, they know about that other game you liked more.

Thanks for the thread! The eShop has so many amazing games and if I could I would have made the video 5x longer but that would probably put a spanner in our week of Switch productivity. Furi is another game I would have liked to talk about but I'm sure there'll be an opportunity for another video like this.
Thought that voice was familiar lol. I'm so behind on my YT subs, didn't realize you were doing videos for GameXplain now.