• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, this seems something I want to talk about since rarely I see someone with the same problems as mine. I'm 19 years old, I have been diagnosticated with ADHD and I'm getting treatment for it. But anyway, I slowly came to the realization that my ADHD is fucking up with my gaming hobby, I have so much games that I want to play but at the same time don't, this year I have countless game that I have started but I was never able to finish it because I lost interest on them no matter how much I liked it, examples are Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Danganronpa V3, Super Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, etc...

These games are all games that I have loved playing but I wasn't able to finish for simply losing interest over time, making so that If I would boot them back and try to play again, I would be slogging to the finish line and not enjoy at all, I get to like 60% in terms of progression in these games and then *puff*, out of nowhere I stop playing for no apparent reason, this really makes me sad since I started with gaming ever since I was a little child. I created this thread in hopes of talks with people that have same problems as me and that are also looking for advice just like me... So ERA, is there advice for someone who's really struggling with the hobby right now?

novashibe

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I've lived with ADHD, well, obviously since birth, but I was diagnosed at about 3 or 4 years old. Saw paediatricians every 6 months until I was 18. Was on numerous medications. Some worked, some didn't. Over the years I've tried all sorts of ways to make myself able to focus better and really, nothing has worked apart from self-discipline (Which is limited in how much it can help) and weed, which obviously isn't for everybody.

Honestly, through all of the above, I'd say just accept that a lot of the time the focus of your attention is going to wander and just give up any hope of completing your backlog. I just learned to play and enjoy what feels fun at the time I guess. Maybe it's not the best advice but it's just how I've coped with it. That said, everyone is different and maybe someone will swing by this thread with a better perspective.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I've been struggling with my own ADHD since I was a small child, but it didn't affect my gaming until my early 20s. I used to play fighting games competitively but it's so hard now when your brain's 4 steps ahead of your hands.

My advice is to find a game that you can set your own pace. Animal Crossing, soloing WoW, sim games like Planet Coaster, Civilization, etc have all allowed me to play at my own pace but give me just enough direction to keep my focus. Completely open games like Skyrim really hurt me because I can't focus on just one thing. There's too many options and I end up doing none of them (much like real life for me a lot of the time.) Even Mario I've had a similar issue lately, sticking in one world so much to try and get every single moon and purple coin before moving on despite full knowing I can't do that until I fulfill certain objectives.

Just be aware of it and try to take a step back from time to time. I wish I could offer you better advice but honestly that's how it is for me now and I'm 35.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have it too, and it's something that's only gotten worse with age. Adderall has helped and hindered my life in many ways (mostly helped), but with gaming it helps in a big way. Then when you take a break on Adderall (sometimes I take it daily to get through a rough patch in school, but I'd recommend against doing this and taking it only when necessary), you keep some of the positive habitual traits and work ethic, and your creativity and memory come back in a big way. But even when taking it, it's still hard reading every note scattered around the game worlds.

I like games that are very varied and have lots to do -- so, ARPGs or games with RPG systems tend to pull me in. I don't think I could have beaten Persona 5 during 2 school weeks without Adderall though.

But honestly, your experience is 1:1 me. I just couldn't finish many games outside of ARPGs without taking meds. I've finished like 5 in the past month while still doing well in school.

How ADHD works is that your brain needs constant stimulation to feel rewarded. If a game becomes a slog at some point, that stream of rewards dries up and it's hard to go back to it even if you want to. You can see how this would be applicable to and dangerous for education. AAA linear walk and talks can seem like gargantuan tasks to even get started unless the writing is particularly stimulating to me.

Last edited:

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you, OP. I'm currently unmedicated, kind of self medicate with caffeine and nicotine, but I definitely understand the feeling of being halfway through a game, then just. Stopping. I just have an ever increasing backlog, but I find games that I can mess around in, with no hard limits. Games I can do things at my own pace, and that are either very light on narrative, so if I stop and pick them back up months down the line, I'm not missing on anything, or games that are so intense that they cause me to hyperfocus, which is why I set alarms so I can keep track of the time.

I'd say start with smaller games that are quick to play through, and only require a few hours of time, so you can feel like you're accomplishing something inbetween larger games. I've noticed that even when I have a huge backlog of 80+hour JRPGs to play through, I'll skim through steam and start playing a short bursty game like FTL instead, not because of any time constraints, but because I can put it away, not have to worry about it, and then when I finally feel like I'm "ready" for a larger game, I'll go back to one of those.

Don't force yourself to finish anything though, especially if you aren't having fun. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, not a job. You might sometimes just bounce off a game, and it may not even be related to ADHD, you might just bounce off it for any reason at all.

I will say, limiting the amount of games I buy has helped me significantly. I used to buy every new game as they came out, and because of that I'd get about 20% in one game, get kind of bored, then hop to something else to get a new stimulus, and would quickly tire of that, and hop to something new. I've since only started buying one game until I finish it, or playing some of my older games when the mood strikes, or very rarely if I'm really looking forward a new game and I know I'll play it, I'll pick it up, but I've greatly cut down my choice so it sort of "forces" me to finish the games I have before I buy more, which has personally helped me a lot.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey, I totally get you. I honestly can barely bring myself to play a game at all anymore - I'll procrastinate for hours reading Resetera and lesser, similar forums thinking about playing until I've ran out of hours in the day. I was diagnosed a week ago age 30. It's still sinking in really. Work was the main reason I went for help, but it's amazing the effect it's had on almost every other part of my life. I'm starting treatment soon and a. planning on attempting bloodborne for the 40th time as a test :)

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you, OP. I'm currently unmedicated, kind of self medicate with caffeine and nicotine, but I definitely understand the feeling of being halfway through a game, then just. Stopping. I just have an ever increasing backlog, but I find games that I can mess around in, with no hard limits. Games I can do things at my own pace, and that are either very light on narrative, so if I stop and pick them back up months down the line, I'm not missing on anything, or games that are so intense that they cause me to hyperfocus, which is why I set alarms so I can keep track of the time.

I'd say start with smaller games that are quick to play through, and only require a few hours of time, so you can feel like you're accomplishing something inbetween larger games. I've noticed that even when I have a huge backlog of 80+hour JRPGs to play through, I'll skim through steam and start playing a short bursty game like FTL instead, not because of any time constraints, but because I can put it away, not have to worry about it, and then when I finally feel like I'm "ready" for a larger game, I'll go back to one of those.

Don't force yourself to finish anything though, especially if you aren't having fun. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, not a job. You might sometimes just bounce off a game, and it may not even be related to ADHD, you might just bounce off it for any reason at all.

I will say, limiting the amount of games I buy has helped me significantly. I used to buy every new game as they came out, and because of that I'd get about 20% in one game, get kind of bored, then hop to something else to get a new stimulus, and would quickly tire of that, and hop to something new. I've since only started buying one game until I finish it, or playing some of my older games when the mood strikes, or very rarely if I'm really looking forward a new game and I know I'll play it, I'll pick it up, but I've greatly cut down my choice so it sort of "forces" me to finish the games I have before I buy more, which has personally helped me a lot.
This is a really interesting perspective on this problem. I guess one thing that certainly didn't help was the fact that I never had much money problems, so it was really ease to bounce out from a game to another game.

One game that managed to pull me in for the entire game was GTA V. Never understood why, I guess the gameplay and narrative really stuck with me. Another one was The Last of Us which reminds me that I need to play the remastered version.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been ADD my whole life. I can very much relate to you OP, and I'm twice your age. My solution has been to accept this is who I am, and that means considering the kinds of games I buy, and how many.

For example, I've learned from my experiences that when I have too many choices in front of me it makes things harder. So I buy far less games these days. I really scrutinize a purchase before I make it. I only buy the games that absolutely excite me. This year that means I bought about a game a month. That's it.

I also carefully consider the type of games I buy. Persona 5 is a 100 hour RPG. No matter how many people tell me that game is amazing I know it would never keep my attention for long. It's too slow and too big. Breath of the Wild is also massive. I foolishly bought it, played it for 20 hours, and that was it. I knew I'd never finish it, so I sold it and got most of my money back.

The last piece of advice I'd give is to sell off much of your backlog. Go through your old games and be honest with yourself about what games you might actually return to, and one day finish. Clearing out games will likely free up some "mess" in your mind and allow you to start focusing on a few games that really bring you joy. I've enjoyed games so much more this past year or two with these changes. In fact, I just finished Mario Odyssey last night, and I'm still going to collect many more moons. I think that's partly because I don't have a dozen 70 hour games sitting on my shelf taunting me right now. :)

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I can identify with this so much, OP. ADHD has impacted my life in many ways, but I definitely feel it with games. It can be really difficult to get through games like Breath of The Wild. In some ways that game is designed for people with ADHD though ha! They want your focus to be darting in all over the place.

Sometimes, however, I can get into that ADHD hyper focus mode and just completely become engrossed in a game for hours on end. I have to be really into it though. Unfortunately that happened more as a kid. Now it's hard to trigger that because I'm always thinking of 12 other things, usually more pressing things, while im gaming. It really takes me out of it.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm exactly the same, except i don't have ADHD, and it bothers me a lot. I'm having the time of my life with a game for like 50-75% of the game, and just stop playing. It's not that i don't enjoy them. It's something else. I keep thinking about going back to them but it never happens. Then i'm at a point that i can't remember what was even happening in the story so i think that may be one of the reasons i don't go back. Then i go play a new game and repeat the cycle.

I can finish a game once in a while but it's mostly linear stuff, not the massive open world games.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This is me to the core. I've had ADHD since I was around 4 years old and I'm constantly picking up and dropping games right in the middle of them. The one that hurts the most this year is Breath of the Wild. I want to finish that one so badly lmao but it's so long and I got distracted by other things earlier this year and I just dropped it. Maybe I'll get back to it later this year. ;/

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
ADHD and gaming is such a weird mix. Personally, I've found that if I want to finish a game, then I need to play it almost nonstop from beginning to end, or I'll drop it before finishing the story. So I will pump 40+ hours into a game over a few days, be done with it, then move on. If I skip a day or two or move on to another game, then that's when I run into issues.

The flipside to this strategy is that it can turn into a serious short-term addiction to whichever game is being focused on. A recent example would be Destiny 2 on PC, which I've been playing instead of doing homework for the last week. I ended up visiting home this weekend to separate myself from the game, so I should be good now, but now I have a big backlog of work to do. So idk.

ADHD sucks.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Been diagnosed with ADD, and ADHD since I was a small child. Being 30 years old now I was diagnosed in the very early 90's and was one of those kids that was used as a guinea pig by every therapist and psychiatrist who wanted to try every new drug... between Ritalin, Dexadrin, Concerta, daytrana, and Methilyn.

I don't feel as though the ADD, and ADHD affects my buying habits but it does affect me from having longer play times and finishing my games. I should say that I haven't taken medication for these things since I was 12... I just do my best to have mind over matter and keep myself in check.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Just wanted to pop in and say that I appreciate this thread being made.

Whilst I'm not struggling with this myself, I have a cousin who struggles with It and also is a fan of gaming.
I feel like reading this gives me a little better understanding of his struggles.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
ADHD and gaming is such a weird mix. Personally, I've found that if I want to finish a game, then I need to play it almost nonstop from beginning to end, or I'll drop it before finishing the story. So I will pump 40+ hours into a game over a few days, be done with it, then move on. If I skip a day or two or move on to another game, then that's when I run into issues.

The flipside to this strategy is that it can turn into a serious short-term addiction to whichever game is being focused on. A recent example would be Destiny 2 on PC, which I've been playing instead of doing homework for the last week. I ended up visiting home this weekend to separate myself from the game, so I should be good now, but now I have a big backlog of work to do. So idk.

ADHD sucks.
This is me down to a T. ADHD sucks

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I've thought about this a lot lately because I'm just like you OP. The thrill of a new game is something unlike anything else and I still get excited when I start fresh into something new. Although, it's very, VERY rare that I can play a game to completion these days. Even right now as I type this, I could be playing AC Origins or Destiny 2, both which I love, and instead I'm surfing the net and posting here. Part of the reason I'm here is to look and see what the next big game might be that I want. I don't really know how to approach a fix for this. I've tried telling myself I'll only play one game at a time, to completion, and it never happens. How can I get bored so fast and then come back later and keep playing?

Oh and I think I'm currently juggling 6 games, the two above being the most recent.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about this a lot lately because I'm just like you OP. The thrill of a new game is something unlike anything else and I still get excited when I start fresh into something new. Although, it's very, VERY rare that I can play a game to completion these days. Even right now as I type this, I could be playing AC Origins or Destiny 2, both which I love, and instead I'm surfing the net and posting here. Part of the reason I'm here is to look and see what the next big game might be that I want. I don't really know how to approach a fix for this. I've tried telling myself I'll only play one game at a time, to completion, and it never happens. How can I get bored so fast and then come back later and keep playing?

Oh and I think I'm currently juggling 6 games, the two above being the most recent.

The key is to only play one game at a time. But you can't be buying new games in the meantime. Get a game, play it to completion as soon as possible, then move on.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The key is to only play one game at a time. But you can't be buying new games in the meantime. Get a game, play it to completion as soon as possible, then move on.
I think the part about not buying any new games is key here. This is definitely an issue I recognize with myself. When something new comes out, I have to be a part of the community if it's something I know I'll enjoy. I have to feel like I'm playing with everyone else. It's a weird realization because I should be able to play any game at any time, many of these are single player btw, yet when it's old and forgotten I don't want to play it anymore. I don't understand this.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have it too, and it's something that's only gotten worse with age. Adderall has helped and hindered my life in many ways (mostly helped), but with gaming it helps in a big way. Then when you take a break on Adderall (sometimes I take it daily to get through a rough patch in school, but I'd recommend against doing this and taking it only when necessary), you keep some of the positive habitual traits and work ethic, and your creativity and memory come back in a big way. But even when taking it, it's still hard reading every note scattered around the game worlds.

I like games that are very varied and have lots to do -- so, ARPGs or games with RPG systems tend to pull me in. I don't think I could have beaten Persona 5 during 2 school weeks without Adderall though.

But honestly, your experience is 1:1 me. I just couldn't finish many games outside of ARPGs without taking meds. I've finished like 5 in the past month while still doing well in school.

How ADHD works is that your brain needs constant stimulation to feel rewarded. If a game becomes a slog at some point, that stream of rewards dries up and it's hard to go back to it even if you want to. You can see how this would be applicable to and dangerous for education. AAA linear walk and talks can seem like gargantuan tasks to even get started unless the writing is particularly stimulating to me.
Agreed. I have been in adderall for awhile now and I barely beaten any games. After a certain point, everything feels like a drag and I stop playing. It's hard for me to pick up a game and finish it after stopping.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I was diagnosed with ADHD about two years ago, and it's affected my gaming my entire life and I see more now how it has. For instance in Dota, someone might tell me "There's Techies mines there *pings spot*" and like a minute later I forget and get myself blown up.

I get distracted from many games I buy, but however the ones that I stick to are truly special. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Persona 5. Nier Automata I started out, but was when BotW was out (PC version of Automata came out later) and I went back to Nier Automata a few months later and was hooked. That game also held my attention.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So I've found that with my ADD, it's often that I can get very obsessive with games if I like them, otherwise I can't settle down to start. So I often stop and just play a pvp game.

Often however, I find that if I just force myself to sit down and start playing something I'll enjoy it. But getting over that mental hump can be hard.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same boat. Been diagnosed with ADHD since I was a kid and I struggle to complete some games though I love them a lot. Though these days I feel it's only gotten worse compared to when I was a kid.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
While I don't have ADHD (haven't been diagnosed with it anyways), I do have a lot of the problems some of you have. I find doing something productive first helps a lot for playing a game. Like, if the room needs cleaning, I do that, then I guess I feel like I "reward" myself by playing the game. If I don't do that sometimes, I might not play that game for months in favor of browsing the web or newer games (that I might not finish as well).

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
Teachers thought I had it in school. Don't have hyperactivity. But couldn't focus well in classes. Videogames were never a problem for me though, until more recently. Now I am having the same problems as you, trouble finishing things. Even games I like. Just stop playing and move on to something else. Also have a hard time at times sitting and playing for a long period of time.

Medicine definitely helps though, but I don't take it all the time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Teachers thought I had it in school. Don't have hyperactivity. But couldn't focus well in classes. Videogames were never a problem for me though, until more recently. Now I am having the same problems as you, trouble finishing things. Even games I like. Just stop playing and move on to something else. Also have a hard time at times sitting and playing for a long period of time.

Medicine definitely helps though, but I don't take it all the time.

There's ADHD-HI and ADHD-PI, meaning hyperactive-impulsive and predominantly inattentive, respectively. I have the latter and you might too. There's also ADHD-C, which means "combined type."

But you know, I'm not a doctor nor in med-school. I'd recommend getting looked at.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
There's ADHD-HI and ADHD-PI, meaning hyperactive-impulsive and predominantly inattentive, respectively. I have the latter and you might too. There's also ADHD-C, which means "combined type."

Oh, cool. As someone who is both extremely inattentive and impulsive, I guess I got the short end of both sticks. Guess I'll just take more ritalin.

SEKusanagi

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, North Carolina
I was misdiagnosed with ADHD around a decade ago. The meds conflicted with what I take for depression. A few years ago my parents concluded that I had many symptoms of AS and after some tests they turned out to be right. When I was younger I enjoyed RPGs a lot but now have quite a few unfinished and resort to watching playthroughs on Twitch more often. Even though I have lots of free time due to being unemployed, I find games I can play in bite sized chunks more enjoyable.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I think I have undiagnosed ADD (or ADHD?) My minds always just jumping from one thing to another. I have around 30 website tabs open at all times. I used to have massive trouble finishing games but now if I start a game I only allow myself to play one other game on the side until I finish the big one I'm on.

edit: I guess my advice is willpower. Just don't start another game until you finish with the one you're on unless you're truly not having fun with it opposed to just losing interest for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My doctor and my family think i have it, but i don't feel like it affects my gaming habits at all, even after i have started daily medication.

The only thing i can relate is having trouble to start playing but i think it has more to do with a blue day than anything, no trouble finishing games though (unless i dont like em of course).

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
its so interesting reading your experience...if you would like to explain us what it is for you not only in game, i would like to read it. laso: whats add?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
its so interesting reading your experience...if you would like to explain us what it is for you not only in game, i would like to read it. laso: whats add?

Apologies but I'm having a difficult time understanding the last part of your post. If you just want to know what it's like having ADD, then here goes:

For me at least, ADD is both 1) an attention issue and 2) an impulsivity issue. Which means I have trouble paying attention to things I'm not actively engaging with (such as a person talking next to me while I'm browsing the internet on my phone). But I also have trouble preventing myself from doing short instant-gratification activities such as playing addicting videogames or watching just one more episode of a series.

You could be talking into my ear, but if I am paying attention to something else, I might not even hear you. In fact, I could be looking you in the eye and nodding along, but completely miss what you were saying because my mind was somewhere else. Trust me when I say that people literally do not believe it when I insist that I did not hear that thing they just told me even though I was staring at them the entire time they were talking. This issue is exacerbated if I have been bouncing around the internet impulsively browsing threads, watching youtube videos, or posting on twitter. So the impulsivity makes it harder to concentrate, which makes it harder to pay attention to the outside world, which makes it easier to focus on the impulsive activity, etc etc etc.

These issues can be mitigated with routine, disciplined activity, such as daily mindfulness meditation, or working out. But in a world where I can pull out my phone and fall into an internet hole, this discipline is difficult to maintain.

ADD is difficult, and people don't understand it. I hope you come out of this a bit more understanding than the average person.

edit - the above probably makes ADD sound awful, but there are upsides as well. If I manage to sit down and focus on important work, then I can sit there and work for hours on end with no issue. If I put my mind to something, it gets done well. If I can master my focus, then I can do pretty much anything I put my mind to.

Also I pretty much never get bored, but YMMV between people with ADD on that one.

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
This thread is too relevant, dang. I've got ASD, and with that often comes some sort of attention deficit disorder (and it has), so I definitely understand giving up on a game, or losing my attention on any media. A lot of times I want to watch a movie, but won't watch because I worry I won't be able to sit through it and give it my attention.

I don't really have anything to add that's any different than what other people have shared, but I understand. Or at least, I think I understand. I'd like to. This stuff's a struggle. :/

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
thanks for the answers.
mmmm i have most of the hyperactivity criteria...but i havent got many of the other kind...mmmm
cellphones with internet helps me to not disturb others, but ruin my ability to improve...
also: what is asd?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's debatable whether I actually have ADHD or not, but it's an ongoing thing for me, trying to figure it out with professionals, but basically my way of experiencing it is that I get eager to play one thing but then want to do something else 20 minutes after booting it. I don't like a single multiplayer game because despite it being fun I hate to keep playing one thing more than a few hours, so if you're with a group of friends and they just wanna marathon the entire day I burn out hard and it's mentally painful like nothing else for me to force it.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I've been making a list of games and sticking to the list. It helps me focus on one game at a time.
What's made things complicated is having very limited playing time due to work and life. That's where the list comes in handy and keeps me focused.

Sun_Gaming_YT

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
I think I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was waaay younger(most of childhood is a blur), I used to take Ritalin but that stopped after some time and I've been off medication for years, some games wind up getting boring after awhile despite it being a good game by all accounts, I usually have to force my way through a game by the end of it, thinking about the next game I could be playing as motivation to get the current game done.

Sad thing is that I used to not do that(I guess it was under control for awhile?), I could sit and play Crash 3 or Luigi's Mansion for hours and not care about repetition. I'm not sure what happened.

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have ADHD. When I was a kid and a young guy I was able to stick with games from beginning to ending np. Now, I have a hard time finishing most of games because I get bored easily (I tend to get careless/is hard to get serious even when I try). An example: When Lawbreakers came out I was very interested in it that I was playing it decently but after 30-40 hours or so of playing Lawbreakers I became bored of it that resulted in making my gaming skills for Lawbreakers suffer (I ended up playing horribly - even when I tried - the subconscious inside me just didn't care anymore). There is a such thing as gaming too much that results in making you suffer (I gamed A LOT when I was younger). My gaming passion is dimming. I smoke weed just to try to enjoy video games, usually (that's bad right). Perhaps I need a break from gaming for a while to re-ignite the gaming passion inside me (I doubt that'd help).

Not being able to stick with and finish any games is not always cuz of ADHD. There are other reasons.

Last edited:

Garryk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm right there with you OP and others. I have the means to pick up most any game that I want and I usually do, but then I'm paralyzed by the amount of choices that I have. I can only really focus on one game at a time so if I buy a game while I'm still engrossed in another, then it will most likely sit around and collect dust.

I'm 34 and I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was around 30. The doctor was kinda sleazy (marketed himself as the ADHD doc) and it felt like I was just giving him money for prescription pills so I stopped medicating after about a year. I'm curious how other people my age go about getting diagnosed through a family doctor or primary care. I feel awkward asking because I don't want it to seem like I want "speed" to get ahead at work.