• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Peeps, I thought I should start the finance thread as we have a lot of people dropping news here and there but no centralized thread for investors or individuals interested in the financial aspect of it.

IS THIS A SALES THREAD? Sales is involved as it's revenue, but ultimately what we want to talk about is the company's financial picture, statements and of course, it's ticker price or market valuation. For example, great unit sales of a game used to be everything but nowadays with digital & post-sales revenue making up 50% or more of a game's revenue, this means NPD, Media Create and all those sales sources really become less relevant.

Most importantly, for investors and the financially savvy, this will be mostly fanboy free because we're all really more interested in making money than cheering with pom poms.

SO WHAT ARE MAJOR COMPANY TICKERS?
Microsoft - MSFT
Nintendo - NTDOY / TYO: 7974
Sony - SNE / TYO: 6758
EA - EA
Activision Blizzard - ATVI
Take Two - TTWO

WHY CARE?
If you invested $1,000 in EA one year ago from today (Feb 1, 2017) you would have ~$1,500 worth of EA stock right now. If you did so in Activision, you would have ~$1,800. This is serious gains and money.

It's always best to invest in a sector that you're familiar with, and for me that's gaming.

WHAT ABOUT YOU?
I've been investing for 5 years, since 2013. I now have positions in MSFT, NTDOY and SNE, but I have stayed off the game developers/publishers for now (which was a mistake on my part, I am still learning).

The market looks very hot right now, maybe too hot, so we'll see how things develop in the next few months!