• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bstiernberg

Oct 30, 2017
My favorite is probably the term "SGI graphics" to refer to literally any pre-rendered 3D cutscene

Referring to "bit" (it 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit etc) as a reference to console hardware power/performance

Using the quantity of megabits required for a game's storage to infer the length or quality of the game.

Labelling games with stuff like "#1 Arcade Smash" or there-about, or just talking about "arcade perfect" when most 8-32bit ports weren't, like, at all.

There's also all kinds of jargon that's not used any more because the tech is outdated.. like "Sound Blaster Compatible" when configuring your DOS game or whatever.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
This isn't jargon, but when depicting people playing video games, do some movies and TV shows still use Atari 2600/NES sounds to get the point across? I remember an episode of Dexter season 3 doing this, overlaying Atari 2600 sounds over a session of Halo 3, which Dexter played on a PC with only a keyboard no less.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
One term I will never give up:
Goreshadowing
When after a long stretch with slim pickings on ammo and health kits the game dumps all the weapon ammo and health kits on you at once, because a boss fight is impending, and it's gonna be bloody...

bstiernberg

Oct 30, 2017
Um...
no.

There is still no 128-bit architecture.

I don't think I ever heard anyone say this irl.

Actually, Sony marketed the hell out of the PS2 as being a "128-bit Machine" because of the Emotion Engine. I read about the "128 bit" PS2 (and sometimes GameCube and Dreamcast) *all the time* back then.

All of the big magazines and websites ran with it. The "bit wars" were still very strong, but I think the oXbox's release finally put a damper on all that, and it was dropped with the following generation (thankfully).

With just a few minutes of googling you can find all kinds of stuff.

IGN, 1999: "PS2: PLAYSTATION 2 LANDS WITH A SPLASH" - "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc unveiled to the world the most powerful game console to date, a 128-bit backward-compatible, DVD-based machine currently called the PlayStation 2."

"Sony PlayStation 2 128-Bit Machine - It's Go Time!"
http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/0009-sstp-sony-playstation-2-128-bit-machine/

Referring to "Sony's 128-bit Emotion Engine CPU"
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1143021

"PlayStation 2 to Reach 128 bits?" - Gamespot, 1999, "the chipset will run internally at 128 bits and could give almost unlimited power to game developers."

PC Magazine, Oct 2000, Referring to GameCube as "The 128-bit gaming console is the company's answer to the Sega Dreamcast, the Sony PlayStation 2, and the upcoming Microsoft Xbox."

ARC-2R

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
POKEs and PEEKs were small peices of code you could type in before a game loaded in order tio get things like extra lives etc. Basically really early cheat codes. Mostly used with 8 bit machines like the C64 and the spectrum.

Ah gotcha. I went from quarter munchers to 2600 to NES so that missed me. To me Poke is slang from the 2002 German Cyberpunk, to get a poke would be to have a cybernetic implant surgically implanted. :)

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
One of my friends, who has been gaming since the 80's, calls video game levels "boards" ("Look at this new board." "This whole board is crazy!) or 1-Ups could be called Free Mans, Extra Guys, Lives, and so forth.

It's super cute!
Oh my God I was going to post the boards thing. A friend of mine when I was in middle school called levels "boards" as well. He was from New York and we both were born around the same time (early 80s).

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Overwatch has revived "fragged" a bit. But overall I have to echo noob and owned, they have totally been replaced by scrub and wrecked, respective.

Oct 30, 2017
Nonsense.

Save Codes
Cheat codes
Splitscreen/local co-op
cord length
memory cards have basically gone away

LyKIUTA.gif

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Old person checking in with a complaint about old people stuff.

Back in the day, and I mean Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Galaxians and whatnot, people would use different terms for levels. There was "stages" which came in later and likely directly from in-game text - "STAGE 2!" and Levels of course, but because of the wave based nature of early games (waves was also a term) the ludicrous even older guys would sometimes call them "sheets" or boards" - I believe partially influenced by comparisons to a pinball table.

So in an arcade, circa 1982, you might hear these terms for the same thing:

Level
Sheet
Board
Wave
Stage

There were probably more that I'm forgetting.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment

To be fair, this was basically entirely restricted to Yu Suzuki discussing Shenmue 1, but I always enjoyed that he tried to make it a thing, kind of like stylish hard action but even less appropriate and/or successful.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen "noobtube" in a loooong while.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Since I haven't seen it mentioned, I have noticed a near 100% drop-off of the term "rape" being applied to beating someone badly/getting beaten in competitive gaming. It was pretty common as little as five years ago, but it seems most gamers have moved on from using "rape/raped" in that sense. I remember hearing/seeing it used online a lot in fighting and FPS games.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
boards
credits
cheat codes
and of course, remember calling cutscenes "demos"

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Decent amount of terms listed still being used. Ping, Lag-switch, Frag, Waves, and Mobs are all still used. Ping, Lag-Switch, and Frag in shooters. Waves in any game that uses separate sections where groups of enemies attack you and have to kill them all to advance to the next section. Mobs in MMO's and MMO-lite games where there are Enemy NPC's that hang out until the player gets close enough for them to attack or "aggro."

Leet speak is pretty much dead though.