• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
One term I will never give up:
Goreshadowing
When after a long stretch with slim pickings on ammo and health kits the game dumps all the weapon ammo and health kits on you at once, because a boss fight is impending, and it's gonna be bloody...
I hear this regularly mentioned as a boss fountain these days. Haven't heard goreshadowing before.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you think about it, it's kind of weird we call multiplayer content you play on 'maps'. it's just board/sheets thesaurusing.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Camping is alive and well in PUBG, no way to get to the end without some good ol gun slinging hide and go seek, and lets not even start discussing bunkering down in a building without any kills if you somehow land in the middle of the circle.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's funny to go back to the tricks section of game magazines before about 1992 and see tips to get "an extra man". Meaning "extra life".

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
"maps"

I guess people still say this but I always said levels even for FPS but some friends of mine said maps.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
"Arcade Perfect" to describe an home version of an arcade game. It used to be the holy grail.
Still alive in the fighting game community. People crave arcade-perfect ports of 2D sprite based fighters. That's why the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection has got us all excited- every single one of the games will be arcade-perfect.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In fighting games, people would call super moves in fighting games "specials" or "special moves". I still call them that.

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
Along the same lines as fragging, gibbing. Read something recently explaining that it basically comes from "giblets" (like the kind you turn into when you die in Quake). Is that soft g or hard g though?

gib·lets
ˈjibləts/
noun
  1. the liver, heart, gizzard, and neck of a chicken or other fowl, usually removed before the bird is cooked, and often used to make gravy, stuffing, or soup.

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
A lot of demos are called betas now, even though there's no real difference.

Edit: I guess demos still exist too though, so never mind.

Very few demos...but yes, betas are essentially demos. Sometimes they are run as closed and offer limited features and test the servers (Sea of Thieves) but when a 'beta' comes out 2 weeks before launch (Star Wars Battlefront 2) then it's laughingly NOT a beta. It's a demo that is disguised as a beta and is there for no other reason but to get free publicity and marketing (with SOME server testing).

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The last time I heard a classic was when a buddy of mine asked me how many "bits" my New 3DS XL was. My response was "I...uh...what?"

Pretty glad we don't hear "cinematic" much anymore. That was a big one in the late '90s and early 2000s.