• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
COMSAT

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=comsat

(1) a structure you build in the strategy game Starcraft (communications satellite) that allows a player on one side to have a small portion of a darkened map location to be revealed for a time period; (2) to spy over a LAN game; (3) a cheating tactic employed during network or LAN game sessions; (3b) to clandestinely peek or have a friend peek over the shoulders of another player during a LAN game (especially in an internet/network gaming setup), usually to "reveal" the enemy player's location--such as the position of a hidden "colony" in strategy-type games or one's map location in a game such as Counterstrike--to gain unfair advantage.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Games like Battlefield used to call spawn points "uncaps" (because the enemy couldn't cap them). I haven't heard it in a while, pretty sure BF1 just calls it Headquarters.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm the last person who still refers to the original PlayStation as PSX.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to nominate LAN or System Link. It's not a big thing anymore unfortunately. Many of this gen's games will die out like Chromehounds did when the servers go with no way to play them in even a neutered offline system link mode.

I think I'm the last person who still refers to the original PlayStation as PSX.

I still call it PSX. I refer to it as PS1 on boards just cause too many younger generations don't know it and because it's easier in a timeline sense. It's like how the Xbox is called the OG xbox now.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
It used to be common last generation to express your game console agnosticism and diverse ownership by mashing up the names of the consoles you had, creating names such as "Wii60" or "PS360" and, for those who had 'em all, "PSWii60". That stopped, but then it's probably because the names of this generation of consoles isn't exactly conducive to creating portmanteaus. "PSOne", "Xbox4U"... eh.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
calling controllers "paddles", though I've heard it maybe less than a half a dozen times over the last few years...but extremely rare in any case

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
In the UK i do remember fighting games being called "One-on-one beat em ups" to differentiate them from "side-scrolling beat em ups".

I think we used to refer to games like Renegade as beat em ups initially, which were single screen multi-opponent punch fests. That was about 1986-87ish.

Sails

Oct 27, 2017
Fragging doesn't live anymore outside of Quake where-as it was used by people in numerous games during the late 90's and early early 2000's

Right in the feels
Frag is still used outside of Quake. I hear it mostly from older FPS eSports commentators, almost like a politically correct way to say "kill." It's definitely not long before it's dead, though.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
"Cheese" or "Cheesing" a fighting game term referring to taking out opponents chip/block damage.

"Spamming" another fighting game term referring to using the same move over and over.

"Timer Scam" running out the clock or timer while you have the lead.

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us"

Spamming and timer scam are still used quite often today. Follow the scrub quotes account on twitter!

Cheesing is much less common but is still around. AYBABTU is definitely dead, that and "im in ur base killin ur d00dz" is similar and also dead.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"Lives" in general. Most games do not have a limit of 3 lives, or whatever, and then you start over. I can't think of the last time I played a game where I had to worry how many lives I had left.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People calling what we used to call "slowdown" back in the day "lag" today.

I see "lag" as something caused by an online game experiencing network latency. I see "slowdown" as something in the code causing exactly what it sounds like.

Drives me bonkers.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
"Globaled", in early days of WoW or other MMOs from that era. Nowadays, it's moslty refered as "OS".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I came in to post about "computer games", but in a slightly different context: when I was a kid, all video games were computer games. I think this may have been a regional thing: the UK took longer to adopt consoles than a lot of other places, and most gaming in the eighties seemed to be done on the likes of Spectrum, Amstrad and Commodore, which were more like traditional computers. "Video games" felt like an American term - "video" being typically used in the UK to describe a VCR and/or VCR tape - and it was probably the late nineties at the earliest when I started using it.
This is true for me as well. I still call console, handheld and PC games 'computer games' as an overall term, due to Amstrad/Spectrum/Commodore defining 8-bit gaming for me in the 80s in the UK. 'Video games' always felt bizarrely American to me too for exactly the reason above. My video recorder didn't play games, and video tapes weren't games either (as opposed to the cassettes/tapes my computer games were on), and so I wondered if US 'video recorders' somehow played games or something if they called them 'video games'! :D

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frag is still used outside of Quake. I hear it mostly from older FPS eSports commentators, almost like a politically correct way to say "kill." It's definitely not long before it's dead, though.
Mind if I ask what games or a commentator you are referring to? It probably boils down to me watching non-esports streams for the most part

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is true for me as well. I still call console, handheld and PC games 'computer games' as an overall term, due to Amstrad/Spectrum/Commodore defining 8-bit gaming for me in the 80s in the UK. 'Video games' always felt bizarrely American to me too for exactly the reason above. My video recorder didn't play games, and video tapes weren't games either (as opposed to the cassettes/tapes my computer games were on), and so I wondered if US 'video recorders' somehow played games or something if they called them 'video games'! :D

Agreed. In fact I never really use 'computer games', either, I just say 'games'. I'm into games, I just bought a new game, I've got a games console, etc, as do most of my friends.

If I ever did use either term it would be computer games, not video.