• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
My HP Omen 16 with a 3060 that suddenly died shortly before christmas. I only had the chance to take it to a service center last month.

I knew the motherboard itself died. They claim the warranty was expired on december and that was already with the free extension. Personally I knew it should have expired next month as a 2 year warranty.

They had the gall to quote me 150% of the price of the full unit for the replacement mobo before any service fees. Took my laptop and got out of there. Is that fucking normal for laptop repair? They showed me the pricing itself on a part store site thingy of HP. I don't think I'll ever buy a gaming laptop ever again.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
My HP Omen 16 with a 3060 that suddenly died shortly before christmas. I only had the chance to take it to a service center last month.

I knew the motherboard itself died. They claim the warranty was expired on december and that was already with the free extension. Personally I knew it should have expired next month as a 2 year warranty.

They had the gall to quote me 150% of the price of the full unit for the replacement mobo before any service fees. Took my laptop and got out of there. Is that fucking normal for laptop repair? They showed me the pricing itself on a part store site thingy of HP. I don't think I'll ever buy a gaming laptop ever again.
You have the receipt showing the date of purchase? If the two years ends next month, they have to accept that right?

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
You have the receipt showing the date of purchase? If the two years ends next month, they have to accept that right?

I did. It was so fucking weird because they showed me that there actually was a promo that extended my warranty until december of last year applicable to my laptop. They put in the serial number and everything to the system.

Repair businesses in my country is a bit fucked up so its kinda difficult to assert rights. I was willing to pay a good amount for the replacement part but not highway robbery twice over lol.

Tactical Tumbler

Sr QA Analyst
Verified
May 26, 2021
anyone with dragon dogma 2? wonder if laptop cpu's can keep up.
I have a 2023 Asus G14 with the R9 7940HS and RTX 4070.

Using a mix of medium/low settings and no RT at 1920x1200 I get about 55~60fps outside of large cities, and hover around the mid 30s when in a city like Vernworth. I did try bumping it up to 1600p with DLSS set to quality but the fps was too all over the place and the image was pretty blurry.

Oct 25, 2017
this is a big thread but ill shoot my shot.

anybody have recommendations for a decent laptop under 1k and hopefully somewhat light. would be for light gaming and occasional travel.

light and cheap limits it to basically the g14 family. 2022 variant with the 6800s is decently powerful (think equavelent to a 3070 mobile gpu?). about 3.8 lbs.

2023 with the 4060 has all the dlss bits but more expensive naturally.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
this is a big thread but ill shoot my shot.

anybody have recommendations for a decent laptop under 1k and hopefully somewhat light. would be for light gaming and occasional travel.
The Legion 5 Slim is currently on sale for $899 at Best Buy. Not the most amazing CPU with the Ryzen 5 that has 6 cores/12 threads, but it has an RTX 4060. The Ryzen 7, 8 core/16 thread version you can select there is on sale as well for $1129.99 if you can go slightly over budget.