• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jRPG

Dec 13, 2017
My Blade 15 arrived today! Everything feels so fancy. Is there anything people generally recommend for new Laptop users, things to remove (I can't seem to see any bloatware), or install, or things to do to ensure it's running properly? Or perhaps there's a thread somewhere with all this that someone could point me in the right direction of? Thanks.

Eternalthree

Oct 29, 2017
GT75 TITAN-058 $1,899.00 after $300.00 rebate card (discussed above)
GE72MVR APACHE PRO-080 - $1299 -> $1099 after rebate card * i7-7700HQ + GTX 1070. Ridiculous deal.*
GV62 8RE-016 - $849 -> $749 after rebate card. *This is the cheapest 8th-gen Intel + GTX 1060 I've seen yet*
GV62 8RE-015 - $999 -> $899 after rebate card * Same laptop as above but i7-8750H instead of i5-8300H*
GF63 8RD-NE1050Ti - $769 -? $669 after rebate card
GP63 Leopard-428 - $1379 -> $1299 after rebate card *1080p/120Hz + i7-8750H + GTX 1070*
GF63 8RC-249 - $629 -> $549 after rebate card *i5-8300H + GTX 1050 + 1TB HDD*
GS63VR STEALTH PRO - $1129 -> $979 *i7-7700HQ + GTX 1060. Pretty crazy deal for the last-gen GS series*

Man the GE72MVR, GV62 8RE-016, and GF63 8RC-249 are definitely the standouts, if you are shopping for 1070s, 1060s, or 1050s on a budget. Those looking for ultra high-end should buy the GT75 immediately.

After seeing these MSI deals, I dunno if that's a good buy at $1600.

The only issue Razer Blades have is that Razer customer service is a minefield if you have issues. Godspeed if you have to return it.

OK this helps bring ending back to perspective for me, thank you. I've wanted an Alienware for a long time now and I was looking at the 13 r3. The best deal I found was $50 off 1399 and 15% cash back, which still brings the eventual total to around 1250. The GV62. has similar specs and would be around 825 so the oled screen and Alienware tax is the difference of ~425. Ugh. Been chatting with Dell and luck on lowering the price. The oled is a moot point at this rate I guess. Ugh.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am looking at the zephyrus s with the gtx1070. Am I better off going with an Alienware if the weight difference is not a factor?

A separate question for a friend, any recommendations for a laptop under $1K USD (preferably with at least gtx1060)? It would be used for gaming and schoolwork.

We'd like to avoid HP as we've had bad experiences with them in the past.
I would do everything I could to avoid a 1070 Max-Q, as it performs like a 1060 in gaming performance. So yeah I'd be looking at Alienware or MSI s you are shopping in that price bracket.

As far as your friend, Costco has a good Black Friday deal on the Lenovo Legion Y7000.

Im still trying to buy a GE75 Thought I could import from Canada but they wont ship it to me.

https://www.amazon.ca/GE75-8RF-024C...=UTF8&qid=1540933214&sr=1-1&keywords=msi+GE75

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAF0Y88X9649&cm_re=GE75-_-9SIAF0Y88X9649-_-Product

I guess I will wait it out a little longer might as well until CES. maybe something crazy will be announced like 1440p 144hz screens.
I have high hope for 1440p high refresh rate notebook displays becoming commonplace alongside the RTX GPU launch.
OK this helps bring ending back to perspective for me, thank you. I've wanted an Alienware for a long time now and I was looking at the 13 r3. The best deal I found was $50 off 1399 and 15% cash back, which still brings the eventual total to around 1250. The GV62. has similar specs and would be around 825 so the oled screen and Alienware tax is the difference of ~425. Ugh. Been chatting with Dell and luck on lowering the price. The oled is a moot point at this rate I guess. Ugh.
Well the OLED is really beautiful. Sometimes the price doesn't matter as much as ending up with what you really wanted.

hitmon

Oct 26, 2017
for your friend, s/he will have to decide if they want the i5 version or the i7 version and keep in mind the rebate $100 form to fill out to save even more, also a promo code on the product page to save a tiny extra. Your friend has 2 day to jump on this deal.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154829

a question for you are you looking for a slim laptop?
The Zephyrus S as far as I know its 1070 card is the max q version, so your getting an expensive weak card to trade for weight, size, which is not worth it. If weight is not an issue go with a non max q version laptop.

Im still trying to buy a GE75 Thought I could import from Canada but they wont ship it to me.

https://www.amazon.ca/GE75-8RF-024C...=UTF8&qid=1540933214&sr=1-1&keywords=msi+GE75

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAF0Y88X9649&cm_re=GE75-_-9SIAF0Y88X9649-_-Product

I guess I will wait it out a little longer might as well until CES. maybe something crazy will be announced like 1440p 144hz screens.

I would do everything I could to avoid a 1070 Max-Q, as it performs like a 1060 in gaming performance. So yeah I'd be looking at Alienware or MSI s you are shopping in that price bracket.

As far as your friend, Costco has a good Black Friday deal on the Lenovo Legion Y7000.

I have high hope for 1440p high refresh rate notebook displays becoming commonplace alongside the RTX GPU launch.

Well the OLED is really beautiful. Sometimes the price doesn't matter as much as ending up with what you really wanted.

Thanks for the tip on the Costco laptop. Does Lenovo have a good rep for durability?

For me, weight isn't an issue. As far as Alienware laptops go, when do they usually start showing off the next iteration? I'm not in a rush, but plan to upgrade within the next year so I'm considering waiting. Would you two consider the laptops Alienware currently have up for black friday sale a good deal? I was just looking at the Alienware 15s and 17s they have listed.

What do you guys think about the new alienware m15?

I didn't know max q cards were that bad, thanks for the warning and thanks again for all the advice.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
hitmon

The Alienware m15 is a max q card also, seriously these slim gaming laptops are all max q cards. Unless you are going with a 1060 or 1050ti forget getting a slim laptop.

You will have to go regular Alienware 15 for the regular 1070, I read they heat up pretty fast with the 1070 so maybe the latest Alienware 17 R5 will be what your looking for.

As far as new stuff down the line nothing announced so far we will have to wait until after the holidays or CES 2019

Eternalthree

Oct 29, 2017

15% off code just came out...brings my final total to 1095$............................ Ugh

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
UGH, UGHHHHH

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/Graphics-amplifier-Alienware-15/m-p/6223059

The newest laptop, Alienware 15 R4 (the one I bought) currently does not support Alienware Graphics Amplifier...

So much for buying RTX 2070 too early!!

mad_as_hell.gif

---------------------

EDIT:

Ok, it's really my fault for not even going the extra mile and do a bit more research and allocate more budget than I thought I needed.

Apparently, I somehow bought Alienware 15 R4, which is a last-year model. This year, which is already out, is Alienware 15 R5, which is what I should be buying for.

--------

EDIT 2:

Darn, if only I knew before I recommended Alienware to someone, telling them "Dell has great drivers support." I now learned Dell doesn't really have great drivers support when it comes to niche hardware drivers. Alienware 15 R4 and R5 both don't have support for Alienware Graphics Amplifier, so even if I switch order to purchase Alienware 15 R5, it doesn't change my situation. However, it does stings, because the last year's model CPU and GPU are based on older architectures.

And also the fact that Dell requires signature verification for package orders... Ugh, I should've put in a request to send it to an UPS location, so I can personally go pick it up there.

So many beginner's mistakes here. I wished I knew all about this before Thanksgiving.

---------------

EDIT 3:

So, the new Alienware 15 R5 is actually called "Alienware M15" on Dell.com.... Learned a quick way to check for laptop drivers support and whether they currently have the drivers available for niche hardware setup, is by going to the laptop's drivers download page, and look up all the driver packages.

Alienware M15 does not have any Alienware Graphics Amplifier drivers, so it technically hints it doesn't support Geforce RTX cards.

----------

EDIT 4:

Maybe it's being spoken too soon? Alienware 15 R4 was reviewed in April 3, 2018, so I guess it counts as a somewhat-recent tech review?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12605/dells-8th-gen-alienware-laptops-and-monitors/2

The fact in that review, it states:

If those options aren't quite cutting it, both the 15R4 and 17R5 support the Alienware Graphics Amplifier (eGFX chassis) to house desktop graphics cards from AMD or NVIDIA.

Does this mean the laptop comes with built-in support for eGFX chassis? It's so conflicting... I really need to go speak with a Dell representative.

Last edited:

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Hey guys. I got recommended this thread from the indie dev thread. I have no idea where to start with modern PCs, let alone laptops. I'd like to buy one for some Unreal Editor indie projects primarily.

I'm looking at something line this, the price is in SEK but let's say 1500€ as budget for now:
https://www.komplett.se/product/109...-predator-helios-300-156-fhd-matt#productinfo

I've been told at least 16GB of ram is good for development but beyond that I'm clueless. A desktop would obviously be better in general but is off the table for the foreseeable future.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Minamu
Beside unreal editor what other software are you using, photoshop, 3d/cad?

I want to know if your going to be using it for a lot of cpu/multicore dependent apps

right now you have the option of an Intel 8th gen 6 cores or an amd ryzen 7 2700 which is 8 core.

The ryzen 7 will make content creation a breeze, I'm not saying the Intel stuff are not good they are very capable but the ryzen is just better. However gaming wise ryzen laptops mean amd graphics cards which dont perform that well compared to NVIDIA if your are looking for max settings and high fps.

that said with your budget the ryzen 7 laptop I would recommend is on sale and a little over your budget but I'm not sure if they will export it to you or if they sell it in your area.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-PH517-61-R0GX-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07GWX5X26/

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Between the HP Omen X17 and the MSI GT75 Titan, which one is known for having better performance, less issues, better build, etc...

Here are both laptops' specs:

HP OMEN X17

Processor Brand Intel
Processor Generation 7th Gen
Processor Model i7-7820HQ
Processor Type Intel® Core I7
Processor Speed 2.9GHz up to 3.9GHz Max Turbo
Processor Cache 4 MB Cache
Number Of Cores 4 - Cores
Memory
Memory Size 32 GB
Memory Type DDR4
Memory Slot (Total) 2
Graphic Card
Graphic Manufacturer Nvidia
Graphic Card Model NVIDIA GeForece GTX 1080
Graphic Memory 8 GB DDR5
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Display
Display Size 17.3"
Display Technology IPS
Display Type Full HD
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Storage
Storage Technology SSD + HDD
Storage Size SSD : 256 GB M.2; HDD:1 TB 7200 RPM
Storage Speed 7200RPM

MSI Titan G75:

Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8750H 3.9Ghz up to 4.1GHZ
GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
Ram 16G DDR4
HDD 1TB
256 GB M.2 SATA SSD
17.3" 1920 x 1080 Anti-Glare Wide View Angle
120 Hz 3 ms 94% NTSC
Win 10

I think the MSI Titan G75 is a better as far as specs go, even though I really love that the HP OMEN packs 32 GB of RAM, but from what I've read the G75 is not the better when it comes to cooling, which is something the OMEN does better (I am not sure, though).

Does anyone know anything about either laptops, and from the specs which one would you go with?

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
osnameless
I am biased towards MSI, MSI has a proven track record of excellence, HP the brand itself has been despised by pc users/gamers for years. That said I have seen the omen in action and I think its cool. I currently have an older msi gt so I cant comment on the gt75, but I cant imagine it not being the tank they usually are.

between the 2 I would choose msi just on the fact it has a better cpu, I could always add ram later if I need it.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the MSI GT75, my should be here any day now and it got me to thinking about the setup process.

The GT75 ships with a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. Now I've never had a laptop with two drives. I obviously get that having Windows on the SSD is a priority, but I'm wondering about Steam.

I typically tend to have about 30 games installed at the same time. Mostly smaller to mid-range in size with a few AAA anchors. But with newer AAA titles hovering damn close to 100 GB, is it even feasible to install Steam on a relatively small 256 GB SSD?

I understand that you can create a second Steam folder on the slower HDD to work as a sort of storage locker for bigger titles, but I'm guess I'm more wondering how well that plays out in practical terms. I'm guessing that with installing the Steam client on the SSD along with a few games, in addition to putting overflow games on the HDD drive, that you can access your games from either drive without having to swap them around.

So what do you guys do? Is it worth the hassle of splitting up your library between drives and sometimes having to "clean out the fridge" on a smaller SSD, using it only for new or high-rotation games?

Or is it just simpler to dump everything on the HDD and not have to think about it at all?

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the MSI GT75, my should be here any day now and it got me to thinking about the setup process.

The GT75 ships with a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. Now I've never had a laptop with two drives. I obviously get that having Windows on the SSD is a priority, but I'm wondering about Steam.

I typically tend to have about 30 games installed at the same time. Mostly smaller to mid-range in size with a few AAA anchors. But with newer AAA titles hovering damn close to 100 GB, is it even feasible to install Steam on a relatively small 256 GB SSD?

I understand that you can create a second Steam folder on the slower HDD to work as a sort of storage locker for bigger titles, but I'm guess I'm more wondering how well that plays out in practical terms. I'm guessing that with installing the Steam client on the SSD along with a few games, in addition to putting overflow games on the HDD drive, that you can access your games from either drive without having to swap them around.

So what do you guys do? Is it worth the hassle of splitting up your library between drives and sometimes having to "clean out the fridge" on a smaller SSD, using it only for new or high-rotation games?

Or is it just simpler to dump everything on the HDD and not have to think about it at all?
I've always installed steam to ssd and then big games to the hdd. No issues to speak of and have pretty much always done it for years. I do the same thing with bnet games. Smaller games to ssd but WoW is like 100gb and I put it to hdd.

Oct 25, 2017
I am biased towards MSI, MSI has a proven track record of excellence, HP the brand itself has been despised by pc users/gamers for years. That said I have seen the omen in action and I think its cool. I currently have an older msi gt so I cant comment on the gt75, but I cant imagine it not being the tank they usually are.

between the 2 I would choose msi just on the fact it has a better cpu, I could always add ram later if I need it.
I also love msi. I was a big asus fan years ago but imo they've sorta gone down hill. Their laptops are overpriced and seem to have heating issues nowadays cause they chase the thin laptop market. I bought an msi laptop a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. Great price and no issues to speak of. Even bought another one on Black Friday this year arriving on Tuesday. I have no clue about HP laptops. Only thing HP I've ever owned is a printer years ago. I always see them on display in Walmart and bestbuy and they look decent enough but no personal experience with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions on this laptop? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-G3-...-1-TB-HDD-8GB-RAM-G3579-5941BLK-PUS/239812185

Dell G3
8GB
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD (5400)
GTX 1050 4GB
$649

I was hoping for a 1050 Ti but it's out of my price range if I want to get an SSD + 1TB.
I've seen the g3 deals pop up all weekend on slickdeals. People said it has cooling issues on the forum there. Never used it personally to say one way or the other, just thought I'd pass the info along. I'm sure there are reviews on YouTube to check out that maybe go more into detail.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the g3 deals pop up all weekend on slickdeals. People said it has cooling issues on the forum there. Never used it personally to say one way or the other, just thought I'd pass the info along. I'm sure there are reviews on YouTube to check out that maybe go more into detail.

Oh, really? Thanks for letting me know. I read a review saying that they played a game for an hour and the temp didn't get hot. Who knows!

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
osnameless
I am biased towards MSI, MSI has a proven track record of excellence, HP the brand itself has been despised by pc users/gamers for years.

Just curious, has MSI ever released a gaming laptop that either doesn't have a numpad, or they have put the trackpad in the middle of the chassis/center of the keyboard (like Alienware 13 and Alienware 15)?

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, has MSI ever released a gaming laptop that either doesn't have a numpad, or they have put the trackpad in the middle of the chassis/center of the keyboard (like Alienware 13 and Alienware 15)?
Their 15" thinner laptops some dont have a number pad a quick glance the gs65 and p65 dont have numpads, as for centered trackpad I have never seen that.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Their 15" thinner laptops some dont have a number pad a quick glance the gs65 and p65 dont have numpads, as for centered trackpad I have never seen that.
I see. Because, prior to purchasing Alienware 15, I was on the lookout for a gaming laptop with a centered trackpad. Only the Alienware 13, Alienware 15, and Razer Blade 15, out of all gaming laptops I have looked at, were centered trackpad layouts. But I went for the Alienware 15, because I just don't have the budget for a Razer Blade 15, and I don't want to gimp out on the CPU.

Centered Trackpads are useful in that it's ambidextrous for any kind of PC play styles.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Quick comparison, the Dell is worth the extra £50 right?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182908-pdt.html

Dell G5 15.6" (£899)
  • Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
Against

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GL62M-...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1543198347&sr=1-27&keywords=msi

MSI GL62M 15.6" (£859)

• Intel i7-7700HQ
  • RAM: 8GB / Storage 1 TB HDD & 256GB SSD
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Currently deciding between these two unless a better deal appears on Cyber Monday. Thanks for the help so far.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Quick comparison, the Dell is worth the extra £50 right?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182908-pdt.html

Dell G5 15.6" (£899)
  • Intel® Core™ i5-8300H Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
Against

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GL62M-...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1543198347&sr=1-27&keywords=msi

MSI GL62M 15.6" (£859)

• Intel i7-7700HQ
  • RAM: 8GB / Storage 1 TB HDD & 256GB SSD
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Currently deciding between these two unless a better deal appears on Cyber Monday. Thanks for the help so far.

And this?

https://slickdeals.net/g00/f/123464...puters&i10c.encReferrer=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=17

I don't even know if it's the 889 pounds there. (I'm US based)

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So I start a new job tomorrow and once I start rebuilding my savings I'm going to be in the market for a laptop. I've always had a barebones laptop and a gaming desktop, up until I bought a Surface Pro 3 a couple years ago. At that point I had a desktop with an overclocked locked i5, 8gb ram, and an 7850 GPU. Even though I couldn't game nearly as well on the Surface I switched to it 100% of the time. 99% of the time I don't move my Surface, it stays on my desk, and I rarely move it, but I do like the all in one form factor. Also I game on this thing very often and even though it only has an intel 4400 GPU I've been impressed with it for the size.

So these are the deciding factors for what I'm looking for.

-Actual decent gaming performance. This part really won't be hard to do since I'll be for sure going from integrated GPU to dedicated.
-CPU is up in the air. My first gaming rig was an Athlon X2 so I have a soft spot for them, but I also bought that CPU right at the turn of when Intel took the market. Haven't had a AMD CPU since then, but I've really like what I've seen from Ryzen.
-Form Factor. I really don't mind it being huge or bulky, but I'd prefer it not looking gaudy or gamer like ( this part is honestly negotiable seeing as most the time it won't be leaving my bedroom desk. I also don't mind it being huge.
-Screen. I'm so spoiled with my SP3 screen. It is amazing to me so I really wouldn't like a downgrade from this but If I have to that is understandable. Reason I've stuck with the Surface for so long really has been because of the screen. (12-inch, 2160x1440 multi touch, 3:2)
-Price. I know this is a pretty wide range, and I could def be convinced to go slightly higher if it is worth it. $1,000-2,000 USD.

PS: I really like the aesthetic of the Razerblade laptops. Simple and not stylized. Also I'm left handed so I'm really put off from the laptops that have a trackpad all the way on the right side. Surprised that has become a thing actually, didn't know us lefties were so outnumbered.

Also if it makes it any easier since I'm not buying now even just manufacturers to keep an eye on would be a good enough answer for me.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
PS: I really like the aesthetic of the Razerblade laptops. Simple and not stylized. Also I'm left handed so I'm really put off from the laptops that have a trackpad all the way on the right side. Surprised that has become a thing actually, didn't know us lefties were so outnumbered.
Linus Tech Tips said it's harder to recommend the Razer Blade Basic. Keep that in mind.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
osnameless

Thank you. That makes sense, I am leaning towards the MSI one. It is just I had my eyes on the OMEN X17 for so long, and it seemed a decent laptop.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Might as well wait until after CES 2019. I'm hoping laptop makers announce 1440p/4k high refresh rate screens.

Yea this is really the sort of advice I was fishing for. I'm in no rush.
Linus Tech Tips said it's harder to recommend the Razer Blade Basic. Keep that in mind.

Yea I saw that video too. Like I said I like the aesthetic of the Razer Blade, but I'd never buy one. More often than not there seems to be a cheaper comparable option.

PS: While I was typing this post an ad popped up that I couldn't back out of on Chrome mobile. Had to close the tab and retype everything.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I posted earlier in the thread about picking up an ASUS GU501. It was a nice machine, but it had been open box, and after a while I noticed some GPU artifacting when gaming and returned it.

On Black Friday I grabbed an Acer Nitro 5 (i5 8300h/1050Ti) for about half the price ($599) and I really dig it so far.

I even made a shitty video lol:

*I was wrong about TXAA

Last edited:

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I posted earlier in the thread about picking up an ASUS GU501. It was a nice machine, but it had been open box, and after a while I noticed some GPU artifacting when gaming and returned it.

On Black Friday I grabbed an Acer Nitro 5 (i5 8300h/1050Ti) for about half the price and I really dig it so far.

I even made a shitty video lol:

*I was wrong about TXAA

I'm going to be so sad if I passed on this laptop for my Dell G5 and it ends up being bad because I went for the refurb route to get a cheap 1060 6GB....If I actually got it by now I could rush and buy one of the other ones on sale but I'm sitting here waiting ughhhhh

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Update, Dell has 15% off voucher code today so found the same G5 with i5-8300 and 1060 on there for £850 so finally bought it.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Minamu
Beside unreal editor what other software are you using, photoshop, 3d/cad?

I want to know if your going to be using it for a lot of cpu/multicore dependent apps

right now you have the option of an Intel 8th gen 6 cores or an amd ryzen 7 2700 which is 8 core.

The ryzen 7 will make content creation a breeze, I'm not saying the Intel stuff are not good they are very capable but the ryzen is just better. However gaming wise ryzen laptops mean amd graphics cards which dont perform that well compared to NVIDIA if your are looking for max settings and high fps.

that said with your budget the ryzen 7 laptop I would recommend is on sale and a little over your budget but I'm not sure if they will export it to you or if they sell it in your area.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-PH517-61-R0GX-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07GWX5X26/
Thanks for the response. I'll be using Unreal, Unity, and probably some Blender at a beginner level. Photoshop is way off at the horizon, if that. Performance in games would be nice, so maybe the nvidia tradeoff is the best. At these price ranges, being able to do a little bit of everything is handy.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm going to be so sad if I passed on this laptop for my Dell G5 and it ends up being bad because I went for the refurb route to get a cheap 1060 6GB....If I actually got it by now I could rush and buy one of the other ones on sale but I'm sitting here waiting ughhhhh
If it's factory refurb i bet it's good or they'll take care of you. Mine was just an open box item at a local best buy (return)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Received my tote bag for my 15.6" laptop. And oh boy, the laptop is going to be huge.... I didn't expect 15.6" to be THIS big....

I went cheap also with a 1060. I think it's fine.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Hi all, I've been lurking here checking out the various deals and hoping to get some advice.

Looking to do some gaming on a $600-700 budget.
I'd love something where I'd never have to check the requirements for modern RTS, sims and indies. Just have them run smooth and look good.
Ideally it would also run Elite Dangerous smoothly (graphics on low, etc. is fine), but this is a stretch goal.

My current laptop is an Asus with an i3 and suffice to say, it's really struggling.
I like the build quality of Asus, but only had this one 4 years and it can't power on without being plugged into the mains.
It still boots up quickly, but everything takes ages to load. Would appreciate some help on how to avoid this kind of deterioration in future.

Is there anything off the shelf that generally nails the above? Otherwise a "shopping list" of specs would be great to have, as I'm not very savvy with this stuff.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

That newegg deal looks amazing, but I'm limited to shipping to either the UK or Japan.
Would be great if I could get an i7 for around the same price. Extra future-proofing is always welcome!

BHR3

Mar 29, 2018
anybody have any input on sager laptops?

lookin at the NP8954 its about 1500 bucks its real thin and light which i like has the 1070 maxQ though

not looking to go over $1500 and want the thin lightweight aluminum body any other recommendations and pros and cons for sager?

Last edited:

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
BHR3
I cant speak on how good Sager laptops are KJack can help with that, all I have to say is Max Q cards sucks be sure you really want a thin gaming laptop to pay for the performance hit.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

That newegg deal looks amazing, but I'm limited to shipping to either the UK or Japan.
Would be great if I could get an i7 for around the same price. Extra future-proofing is always welcome!
uk link not sure if its still in your price range. £546.99

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834155023

this one has an ssd but cost more, I guess you can always add the ssd yourself they are becoming dirt cheap.
https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154830

Last edited:

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut

lookin at the NP8954 its about 1500 bucks its real thin and light which i like has the 1070 maxQ though

not looking to go over $1500 and want the thin lightweight aluminum body any other recommendations and pros and cons for sager?

So a few years ago I was looking into Sager laptops and I remember thinking that was what I was gonna go with. Ended changing jobs so I never bought one, but I heard good things. They seem very affordable, I'm actually glad you reminded me as I'm looking for a new laptop. I'll do some actual research now. If I hear anything really bad I'll shoot you a PM.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, got the gv62 today and Newegg has the version with 1060 for $50 less than I paid for the model with 1050ti....fml I'm returning this.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Asus TUF FX504GE-US52 Gaming: 15.6" FHD IPS, i5-8300H, 8GB DDR4, 1TB SSHD, GTX 1050Ti, WIn10H @ $659.99 + F/S

SPEC:
  • Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
  • 15.6" 1080P IPS Anti-Glare Display
  • i5-8300H 2.3 GHz (4 GHz Turbo, 8MB Cache)
  • 8GB DDR4L 2666 MHz Ram (32GB max)
  • 1TB FireCuda Hybrid Drive (8GB SSD Cache)
  • GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 Graphics
  • 720P HD WebCam
  • 2x 2W Speakers
  • Backlit chicklet Keyboard
  • Dual Band 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2 + Gigabit Lan
  • PORTS:
    • 2x USB 3.0 1x USB 2.0 1x HDMI 1x SDXC Card Reader 1x Audio Combo Jack
  • 4 Cell 48 WHr Li-Ion Battery
  • 5.07 lbs

---

MSI GV62 8RE-016 15.6" IPS GTX 1060 i5-8300H 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD Gaming Laptop with Free Gifts and Free Shipping $739

Extra $10 off w/ promo code GNB830CMP
$100 Rebate Form:
http://images10.newegg.com/upload...ml1qus.PDF

FREE GIFT
  • Intel Iris Identity Protection
  • MSI Air Backpack
SPEC:
  • GeForce GTX 1060
  • Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8300H (2.30 GHz)
  • 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 128 GB SSD
  • 15.6" 1920 x 1080 eDP IPS-Level
  • 15.07" x 10.23" x 1.16" 4.80 lbs.
  • 1 x Mini DisplayPort 1 x HDMI (4K @ 60Hz)
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A
  • 1 x USB 2.0

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So they throw out a Cyber Week, after doing Black Friday and Cyber Monday? That seems kinda stupid and ridiculous, especially since the prices are even better. Way to burn customer.

That new MSI deal is good though, better than anything they had over the holiday sales.

After the $150 rebate is factored in, this GL63 at $579 is also better than any of the BF/CM deals Newegg had on the GTX 1050 laptops, since this one comes with an SSD and HDD combo.

The laptop is nice. The 1070 Max-Q not so much. It's so TDP constrained that it averages out to around 35% slower than a regular 1070, placing it in the ballpark of the 1060's performance.