• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Is diagonal tearing a thing of the past now?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...issues-on-gtx-860m-870m-960m-965m-970m-980m-/

Some of the later posts seem to suggest that affected laptops have been fixed with the latest Windows update, but I feel like people have been saying that with every update released in the past, only to be proven wrong.
I feel like this time it's... close ENOUGH. I tried it with a few games and either saw no tearing, or in the case of Tyranny at least much more subtle, infrequent tearing. The biggest boon is not seeing it with OpenGL period, that makes Doom feel so much better and is practically enough of a reason to replay.

EDIT: OpenGL (And Vulkan?) aside where Turok was free of it before changing anything, I did set it to force VSYNC, TRIPLE BUFFER, and FXAA for all games. Before that I'd still see it, and it did take a reboot to see it more evenly applied. I'd also press Windows + G (or the home button on Xbox controllers) in a game and click Game Mode on for good measure.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this time it's... close ENOUGH. I tried it with a few games and either saw no tearing, or in the case of Tyranny at least much more subtle, infrequent tearing. The biggest boon is not seeing it with OpenGL period, that makes Doom feel so much better and is practically enough of a reason to replay.

EDIT: OpenGL (And Vulkan?) aside where Turok was free of it before changing anything, I did set it to force VSYNC, TRIPLE BUFFER, and FXAA for all games. Before that I'd still see it, and it did take a reboot to see it more evenly applied. I'd also press Windows + G (or the home button on Xbox controllers) in a game and click Game Mode on for good measure.
The fxaa trick only worked for me with the FF 13 games (Lightning Returns specifically). Interestingly, those games gave me the biggest problems with diagonal tearing everywhere and lots of square artifacts. I ended up just selling my laptop though. Just ran into too many headaches with it :(

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are we sure overclocking can't hurt a laptop gpu as long the voltage isn't fiddled with?

I still get randomly BSOD's even when I don't oc anything...

And can somebody figure out what the "0"
here is (behind gpu1 temp and usage)...?

FbT7hiS.jpg

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Is the safest thing not to install any nVidia drivers if you the laptop you buy is a GTX 10xx?
I feel like this error code 43 thing is too real of a threat.
Maybe I've been reading too many negative reviews to see what things i might run into, but the only thing I've learned is that there's no consensus on the solution for it...

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Is the safest thing not to install any nVidia drivers if you the laptop you buy is a GTX 10xx?
I feel like this error code 43 thing is too real of a threat.
Maybe I've been reading too many negative reviews to see what things i might run into, but the only thing I've learned is that there's no consensus on the solution for it...

What are you referring to? My laptop has a GTX 1060 and I update to the latest nvidia driver frequently.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
What are you referring to? My laptop has a GTX 1060 and I update to the latest nvidia driver frequently.
I got an MSI GL62VMR, the 1060 got the error code 43, and then I spent half a week trying fixes and reading horror stories to the point where I'm a bit spooked about the whole laptop thing.

I wish they would try the cocktail of drivers, bios, and OS and then sell it with everything installed and working and not let you play the roulette. Honestly I'm just overblowing my one bad experience.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
looking for a sub $800 laptop as I need to develop a 2D game in GameMaker Studio 2 and do the art in adobe illustrator. I just want something I can run games well enough for testing as well as play most of my steam library if possible.

I'm getting funding for this as I was awarded a small grant for an art event, but don't know my budget as I am writing a budget proposal for now.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
looking for a sub $800 laptop as I need to develop a 2D game in GameMaker Studio 2 and do the art in adobe illustrator. I just want something I can run games well enough for testing as well as play most of my steam library if possible.

I'm getting funding for this as I was awarded a small grant for an art event, but don't know my budget as I am writing a budget proposal for now.
I bought this Acer laptop last week and am pretty happy with it thus far (note: I've only had it for a few days, so can't attest to its reliability, durability, et cetera).

KhaineTBHG

Nov 29, 2017
For those wondering about the 1080 Max-Q laptops and how they perform, I thought I'd share my own little review of the Acer Triton 700.

I bought it mid November 2017, and have been using it as my main gaming platform since.

Quick specs:
15.6" FHD IPS Acer ComfyView™ 120 Hz GSYNC
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
32GB DDR4 RAM (2x16GB @2667Mhz)
2x 256GB SSD (RAID 0)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 (Max-Q) 8GB
802.11ac + BT
HD Camera with 2Mic
Dual AeroBlade 3D CoolBoost fan
Backlit RGB mechanical keyboard
Thunderbolt 3
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Size: H1.89cm x W39.3cm x D26.6cm/H0.74" x W15.5" x D10.5"
Weight: 2.45kg/5.29lb

My main reasons for buying it, were to allow me to game while on business trips and move from the man cave to the living room. (We recently moved to a bigger appartment and while having a dedicated office is nice, it can be quite taxing in a relationsship to disappear every night after dinner).

My main gaming rig was (note the past tense) a watercooled beast, built in 2012-2013, and I've always strived to balance performance vs. noise levels. I hate fan noise and coilwhine and will go to extreme lengths to avoid it. By todays standards it was a good machine, and was able to run most newer games at decent settings, at around 60 fps at 1440p.

With the purchase of the Triton my hope was, that I'd be able to at least replicate that performance while being at least somewhat mobile. I've always disliked the high end gaming laptops mostly due to their design and high pitched fans, and after seeing a few reviews on Youtube, I settled on the Triton because of the less flashy aesthetics, compared to the Asus ROQ Zephyrus (They were the only two 1080 Max-Q laptops available in Denmark, at the time of my purchase).

Performance wise there is absolutely nothing to complain about. It runs Witcher 3 on ultra without blinking, at around 80 fps at 1080p. It drops to about 70'ish at 1440p, but that's still very good. Most of the other benchmarks are available on the Internet somewhere, and I havent experienced any difference between those benchmarks and my own experiences. The harddrives are very very fast, and bootup is roughly 10-15 secs from power off to windows logon. I havent had any issues with wi-fi or other connected devices through Bluetooth or cabled. The screen is fine and works as advertised, nothing extraordinary. Battery power is nothing fantastic. When the laptop is unplugged, it automatically throttles everything, and batterylife is roughly an hour or two depending on the workload.

It is by no means silent. Once the fans start going full tilt, I have to crank up the volume on my headphones to cancel out the fan noise, and my wife usually ask me to head back into the office with the laptop, defeating the purpose entirely. While travelling it is not an issue. The fans only come on when gaming. During several hours of Netflix, the fans are at their slowest setting and not audible. When unplugged, everything is throttled and Witcher 3 runs at about 30 fps because of the throttling. It is however very silent when doing so, and remains so until the battery runs out. I cannot fathom how reviewers tested it under load and found the noise to match light breezes or a running living room fan. It is only that silent when unplugged and under throttled load.

To combat the noise issue I undervolted the CPU by a -0.110 modifier, which lowered the average temps on the CPU by around 8-10 degrees Celcius. This meant that the fans dont have to ramp up to the higher settings even under 100% load, and thus are less of a nuissance. It's still louder than I'd like, but it's better than the stock profile by far. After that I built a laptop cooler out of some spare parts, which lowered the temps even more and resulting lower fan noise. And now it is within acceptable levels, but still louder than light breezes... I wager that the undervolt and laptop cooler has resulted in an average drop in temps from 85C til 65C under full extended load. One note to DYI laptop cooler-builders: Because of the keyboard placement, you have to build a very small/low profile chassis for the laptop, so that the front edge of the laptop rests on the table, in order to have proper wrist placement. Alternatively a much bigger chassis with a wrist rest built into the chassis. My current DYI cooler is 3.5 cm tall and includes two 120mm x 15mm fans that have about 5mm of space between laptop-fans and fans-table.

The mechanical keyboard is excellent, and the placement is fantastic in my opinion. It is low profile enough that a wrist rest isnt needed. I dont mind the odd touchpad placement, since I usually use a mouse (And Acer actually included a decent one in the package). The touchpad works fine for browsing etc. but I'd never use it for anything work or gaming related, unless I had no other options.

It has Dolby Atmos and with a headphone amp and good headphones it is an amazing experience. It is on par or even better than my main gaming rig with a dedicated soundcard, tubed headphone amp and Grado headphones.

Size wise it is a bit wider than your typical 15.6 inch laptop, and it doesnt fit into a normal sleeve very well. And when you include the power brick and 3-4 meters of cables + mouse it isnt exactly a very portable package, unless you have a dedicated bag for it.

Construction is great, and it feels very solid.

There is very little bloatware on it, and the included PredatorSense works fine for reporting temps, and creating custom profiles for fans, keyboard lightning and mild GPU overclocks.

I am very happy with the purchase, and it has fully replaced my old gaming rig, something which I did not expect at all.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
I know this isn't a gaming laptop post per se but I'm seriously debating on picking up the last years Lenovo X1 Yoga with the OLED display option for about $2000. I've only waited to see if they would update this year's model with the latest Intel chips but seems like the OLED option is gone now and for some reason I'm just stuck on to having that model.

Processor Options: 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7600U (4M Cache, 2.8GHz to 3.9GHz)
Display: 14-inch WQHD (2560x1440) OLED Touchscreen, Glossy
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
Memory: 16GB LPDDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz (Soldered to mainboard)
Storage: 512GB M.2 NVMe OPAL 2.0 PCIe Solid State Drive
AudioHD Audio, Conexant CX11771 CODEC, Stereo Speakers 2W x 2
EthernetGigabit Ethernet via Mini RJ45 Dongle (Included)
Wireless Connectivity: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC (2x2) 8265, Bluetooth Version 4.1
Interface (Left): 2x Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.0, USB 3.0 w/ Always On
Interface (Right): ThinkPad Pen Pro, Power Button w/ Status LED, 3.5mm Headset Jack,Mini RJ45 (Dongle Inc.), USB 3.0, HDMI, Kensington Lock Port
Interface (Back): MicroSD slot, SIM card slot
Webcam: 720p HD Fixed Focus Camera with 2W Dual Array Microphone
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Battery: 56Whr (Up to 11 Hours)
Dimensions: 0.69 (H) x 13.11 (W) x 9.02 (D) inches
Weight: 2.99 pounds
Manufacturer Warranty: 3-year, Depot

Price isn't an issue, I just want to replace my 2013 MacBook Pro with something newer. My first preference would be the best display on a laptop there is and the Yoga OLED everyone has been raving about the display.

I won't game much, the only other options I'm looking at currently are the 2018 Lenovo X1 Carbon/Yoga with Dolby Vision screens, 2018 Dell XPS 15 with HDR display or Surface Book 2.

Any suggestions here guys?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
The fxaa trick only worked for me with the FF 13 games (Lightning Returns specifically). Interestingly, those games gave me the biggest problems with diagonal tearing everywhere and lots of square artifacts. I ended up just selling my laptop though. Just ran into too many headaches with it :(
I got that aforementioned 4K Inspiron laptop and yeah, it seems that trick more sporadically works on higher resolutions.

Also while it's only able to do 4K on old/really low end games and even the desktop falters (thanks integrated video!) with too subtle of an improvement at 15 inches... adding the resolutions in green here between 1080p and 2160p has been a huge boon and lets me try a lot of resolutions the 1060 Max Q CAN handle (GeForce Experience seems particularly fond of 1512p). And inversely it's harder to notice scaling at that screen size/resolution anyway.

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'll begin by saying that I'm no computer whiz by any means, but I'm going to be on the hunt for a new PC. I'm going to have a good budget (I hope!) since I should be working.

My main issue with gaming notebooks is how tacky they are, since whatever I use for gaming should also be presentable at a conservative work environment.

I've been looking at the Asus Vivobook, that has these specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ at 2.8 Ghz
15.6" display, FHD 1920X1080
8 GB DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 GDDR5 4GB

Should it be enough to play games like the Witcher 3 in medium settings? If they would be high it would be great, but it isn't a priority.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Bought a new laptop about a month ago.

I7600U
940MX
12 GB Ram

All for under 1K AU (I couldn't believe it was that cheap. I thought it was a price error.

Also my GForce experience AP isn't automatically recognising the Forza Horizon 3 Demo. Should it be, and if not how do i ensure that my GPU is working on the game.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I'll begin by saying that I'm no computer whiz by any means, but I'm going to be on the hunt for a new PC. I'm going to have a good budget (I hope!) since I should be working.

My main issue with gaming notebooks is how tacky they are, since whatever I use for gaming should also be presentable at a conservative work environment.

I've been looking at the Asus Vivobook, that has these specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ at 2.8 Ghz
15.6" display, FHD 1920X1080
8 GB DDR4 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 GDDR5 4GB

Should it be enough to play games like the Witcher 3 in medium settings? If they would be high it would be great, but it isn't a priority.
That should get the job done.

IvanJCroft

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Venezuela
not sure if this can be asked here but i have a very old laptop that i'm trying to play Bayonetta in and i get this weird frame skip everytime the game goes below 60fps, i was wondering if there's a way to fix it or i just have to deal with it? when i run it with the integrated card it just runs at low framerate without frame skipping.

these are the specs:
Windows 10 64bit
Processor: intel core i5-3317U CPU
installed RAM: 8GB
Integrated Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Render: Nvidia GT 630m

i know it's a terrible laptop for gaming but if i can at least get rid of the frame skip it would be great.

Deleted member 31277

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hello Resetera!

I found a secondhand Alienware15 r2 for approximately 1100$.

Is it worth that price? I'm in need of a new gaming laptop and I just found this announcement.

Also, any known issue with that model?

Thanks beforehand for your input!

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
Hello Resetera!

Is it worth that price? I'm in need of a new gaming laptop and I just found this announcement.

The base model brand new starts from $1299. They have a coupon TENOFF that gives 10% off, I'd rather get the 15 R3 brand new than go with a used R2.
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-15-laptop?~ck=mn

You can also check Dell Outlet for refurbished ones that come with warranty and additional warranty can be purchased.
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...LHvpwQBg2pS7tFeEL5+ZAtzibCW9qH1zkuDI2xT8kjBvU

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This laptop from the Philippines will be tough to beat

27654697_10156189946964797_4895356647668201399_n.jpg

Hello Resetera!

Is that a 970m laptop? I honestly would aim for a laptop with a 1060 at this point. You're also at a risk of having the diagonal tearing problem with it. I know I've seen that model mentioned in the geforce thread about it

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...issues-on-gtx-860m-870m-960m-965m-970m-980m-/

Deleted member 31277

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks guys.

In the end I bought a new one, I went with the Dell Inspirion 15-7567
(GTX1060 with 6gb), 16gb RAM, i7, 256mb SSD and 1T HD.

Gaming laptops definitely became better than few years ago! The one I'm replacing was a 3000$ monster with a 780m (that today wouldn't cost much)

I got a great laptop for about 1300$ in the end.

TURBO1112

Oct 25, 2017
Very new to PC gaming. What laptops should I be looking at if I want to run PUBG at 1080p 60fps?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I just got my thread posting privileges recently, and have been building a gaming laptop recommendation thread like I've done on GAF for the last 5 years.

Should I still even do it, or are we rocking with this thread?

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my thread posting privileges recently, and have been building a gaming laptop recommendation thread like I've done on GAF for the last 5 years.

I'd say do it. This isn't overly long and while there's a really good general recommendation in the OP it'd be good to know what's good at other levels too.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I plan to buy a gaming laptop in a few months when i have saved up for one.

Aiming to get one with 120hz screen and gtx 1070 i think

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Sure, do it. I only made this thread as a place holder cause there was none.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to post what GeForce Experience cooked up for PUBG but it was a mix of medium and high as I recall. So a 1060 Max Q is a safe bet.

EDIT: Whoops messed that up.

Last edited:

saltybeagle

Banned
Jan 20, 2018

Yep! That's the laptop I have. I did bump up my ram from 8 to 16 GB, although I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes?

Just search YouTube for PUBG 1050TI settings, and you can see what people recommend to enable/disable in order to get a smooth 60FPS.

EDIT - Upon further inspection, that laptop has a 1050 instead of a 1050TI. I would search the Dell refurbished models to see if you can get a good deal on a slightly more upgraded version of that laptop. See here: http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with an Alienware 17 R4 with the 1.2.3 Bios Update?

I thought it was weird that I was being alerted to download an older version. Turns out there's a problem with this update, probably why I can't get over 3.7Ghz.

I want to also say, don't update the VBIOS for the GTX1080. I don't know what it's supposed to do but it hurt my scores overall as it introduced instability with my core clock. I had to dial it back like 30Mhz

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
So, how are the HP laptops' quality?

I've had bad experiences with HP in the past and haven't looked at them in about a decade...

Currently looking at the HP Envy or Acer Swift... I've heard Lenovo are OK but know nothing about them.

My current laptop is running a Gateway with an i3 330M. The one I had before that had an AMD Turion 64 CPU. ...if that gives you an idea of how long it's been since I've looked at buying a laptop.

Basically something in the sub-$800USD range that's still good for light gaming.

I'm not averse to AMD as long as it's Ryzen. I won't waste my money on Bulldozer or Jaguar cores.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
So, found out how to rollback the sbios and BOOM, 3.9Ghz overclock is stable again.

Very cool.

rOKaaXS.png

This is before and after the bios downgrade... Big difference haha. I really don't understand what's going on with the GPU Mhz report but otherwise, I'm very happy.

Last edited:

D65

Oct 26, 2017
So, how are the HP laptops' quality?

I've had bad experiences with HP in the past and haven't looked at them in about a decade...

Currently looking at the HP Envy or Acer Swift... I've heard Lenovo are OK but know nothing about them.

My current laptop is running a Gateway with an i3 330M. The one I had before that had an AMD Turion 64 CPU. ...if that gives you an idea of how long it's been since I've looked at buying a laptop.

Basically something in the sub-$800USD range that's still good for light gaming.

I'm not averse to AMD as long as it's Ryzen. I won't waste my money on Bulldozer or Jaguar cores.

You'd be paying a pretty penny for a Ryzen laptop to be worthwhile.

Imo, for that money I'd either go with something with a 1050Ti or get the best in-warranty refurb you can get. $800 is just out of really good 10-series laptops.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
You'd be paying a pretty penny for a Ryzen laptop to be worthwhile.

Imo, for that money I'd either go with something with a 1050Ti or get the best in-warranty refurb you can get. $800 is just out of really good 10-series laptops.
Oh, I wasn't saying I needed Ryzen, just that I wasn't against getting it if it happened to be the right one for the money.

What laptops/ manufacturers would you suggest? What budget would get the best bang for the buck?

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I wasn't saying I needed Ryzen, just that I wasn't against getting it if it happened to be the right one for the money.

What laptops/ manufacturers would you suggest? What budget would get the best bang for the buck?

I'm a big fan of Dell these days, but from what I've heard Lenovo are best all-round build quality and MSI have the best price/performance for the higher end.

There is, of course, the Surface Book (2) which is probably the best laptop on the planet for most uses, but that's stupid expensive haha.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm a big fan of Dell these days, but from what I've heard Lenovo are best all-round build quality and MSI have the best price/performance for the higher end.

There is, of course, the Surface Book (2) which is probably the best laptop on the planet for most uses, but that's stupid expensive haha.

I did read that Consumer Reports pulled Surface laptops from their recommend lists because their reliability didn't meet CR's standards for product recommendation with a 25% fail rate within 2 years.
https://www.consumerreports.org/lap...-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/
Coincidentally, the two graphic designers I knew who had Surfaces both had major hardware failure within a few years of purchase... One of them was just outside warranty and the service fees Microsoft wanted to charge was more than just buying a replacement laptop.

I hadn't considered MSI...

I'll look a little closer at Lenovo as well. Reliability and build quality are important

I'll look at Dell too... Thank you.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I did read that Consumer Reports pulled Surface laptops from their recommend lists because their reliability didn't meet CR's standards for product recommendation with a 25% fail rate within 2 years.
https://www.consumerreports.org/lap...-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/
Coincidentally, the two graphic designers I knew who had Surfaces both had major hardware failure within a few years of purchase... One of them was just outside warranty and the service fees Microsoft wanted to charge was more than just buying a replacement laptop.

I hadn't considered MSI...

I'll look a little closer at Lenovo as well. Reliability and build quality are important

I'll look at Dell too...

It's fair I guess because at the same time, I had a few Surface devices and I had a number of issues. But at the very least MS is very easy to get support from. They will give you a refurb like nothing if you got a bunch of dead pixels, too much light bleed or a replacement charger etc. I don't know about the 25% number, at the very least, the book is an amazing piece of hardware. It's not worth the price/performance for me anymore but I loved it while I had one.

Dell is just a brand I love, and I currently have one of their Alienware laptops and it holds up. I got lucky because the build I got would be like £3000 but the refurb was WAAAAAY cheaper and despite having issues out the box, Dell sent a guy to replace parts the weekend I got it and gave me a year premium support. I had heard many great things about Dell's superior support before and I can attest to it.

Anyway, if you're going for a 1060 or above, you're going to be recommended a MSI.

Outside of that Lenovo is your best bet if you need good build quality.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Hey LaptopEra. Need a recommendation for a friend. He has an MSI 6700HQ, 980M, 16GB laptop with SSHD, and he's pretty unhappy with gaming performance in newer titles, especially AC Origins. I just updated my desktop rig to a new build and he wants to duplicate the performance as long as he can stay under 2500 or so.

8700k @ 5ghz, 32gb ddr4 3200, rog strix 1080ti, 1tb 960 nvme ssd, 8tb wd raid storage.

Any deals out there?