• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Well I kinda saw this coming.. I say if you want a laptop stick to GTX 10 series until prices come way down. The 1060 and 1070 (full) are still the best price per performance.

We are disappointed with the RTX Max-Q GPUs though. The RTX 2070 Max-Q in the Gigabyte Aero 15 is only as fast as an RTX 2060 and occasionally achieved worse results in our tests. Hence, the naming of the RTX 2070 Max-Q is slightly misleading, mainly as it is unlikely that NVIDIA will release an RTX 2060 Max-Q. We appreciate that our results may be slightly distorted by the standard RTX GPUs being paired with more powerful 9th generation Intel Core CPUs, but we would have expected better results from the RTX Max-Q GPUs, nonetheless.

A significant shortcoming of the Turing architecture chips is NVIDIA's pricing. The laptops equipped with RTX GPUs will likely cost considerably more than their GTX 10 series counterparts, which may cause potential buyers to opt for the Pascal generation cards instead, at least until prices come down.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...-Laptop-GPUs-Performance-Review.401266.0.html

The best value for money RTX laptop GPU is currently the GeForce RTX 2060, in our opinion. The graphics card is not powerful enough to deliver raytracing at playable framerates, but it is a considerable upgrade over the GTX 1060 and is on par with the GTX 1070. The RTX 2080 and the RTX 2070 are noticeable improvements on their predecessors too, but not to the same extent as the RTX 2060 is.

2060 is what most people should looking to purchase it seems. I'm seeing most of those units around $1999.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Well I kinda saw this coming.. I say if you want a laptop stick to GTX 10 series until prices come way down. The 1060 and 1070 (full) are still the best price per performance.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...-Laptop-GPUs-Performance-Review.401266.0.html

2060 is what most people should looking to purchase it seems. I'm seeing most of those units around $1999.
Dang, well I wasn't all into the Ray tracing, but this DLSS interests me. If the RTX 2060 is a good upgrade over the 1070 then I wouldn't mind getting a lappy with it.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new Dell G line reviews. And later on the Triton 500. One of them could be it with if the thermals are there.

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Amen. The laptop in the 1st post of this page is $2999 .. fuck that lol. My Dell 7577 Gaming is working extremely well for me even now, Resident Evil 2 is running at 1080p with most settings on medium/high at 60 FPS without any issue.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
More benchmarks 2060 Clevo chassis.
https://pclab.pl/art79718-7.html - translate

Dream Machines RX2060-17PL17

Benefits
  • Core i7-9700K desktop performance
  • good workmanship and high rigidity
  • 144-hertz IPS screen with G-Sync
  • good work culture (for a gaming laptop)
  • little heating under load housing
  • a large number of input / output ports
  • good touchpad and keyboard
  • capacious SSD
  • low price compared to similar laptops of other brands
Disadvantages
  • battery life
  • sound quality deviates from other similar designs
  • boring design as for gaming equipment
  • the tested configuration is for free memory and sub-optimal processor
  • the GeForce RTX 2060 price is too high compared to the GTX 1070

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I'm impressed with what msi is doing with the rtx 2070/2080 even the max q ones, but I think I'll wait 1440p/4k become the standard. I feel I don't need to upgrade to play games on 1080p screen laptop.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017

Saw this earlier. It actually makes the Acer Predator Helios 500 (AMD) seem like a good buy. It hangs tough in their benches.

I'll be honest I'm impressed with what msi is doing with the rtx 2070/2080 even the max q ones, but I think I'll wait 1440p/4k become the standard. I feel I don't need to upgrade to play games on 1080p screen laptop.

We've all become FPS whores... 60 fps is simply not acceptable.. GTX 10 cards will continue to crush 1080p gaming until the real upgrades come around.

Is the current batch of 20 series cards future proof? That's the question I would be asking coming from a 1070 or above.
I kinda feel like this is a stop-gap.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Anddo If RTX DLSS tech get adopted in a majority of games in the future than yeah rtx cards will perform better than the gtx 10 cards in the long run.

I just think with the lack of 1440p high refresh rate options and current asking price for high end rtx is not worth an upgrade now.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Should have been more specific, I'm undervolting so that I can get less heat with my cpu.
Undervolting only does so much, and depends on more important issues being in optimal conditions. I'd apply high quality thermal paste first, as undervolting is a bandaid that doesn't compensate for the former being in a poor state.

I myself have undervolted a CPU and saw minimal to no improvement. I reapplied thermal paste then undervolted and the changes were massive, from 90C+ to the low 60s.

Soo... Coming from a 1060 6GB (Rog g752) should I wait for a laptop with 2060 or buy one with a 1070 now? (2070 will probably end up too expensive for me.)
I would wait for comprehensive mobile RTX 2060 benchmarks.

Wow

So I picked one up, and for a TN, this panel is blowing my mind. It's as good or better than the IPS on the Strix in every way except extremely off-axis viewing angles.
Good right? I got to have mt GT72 w/ IPS next to my GT73 w/ TN for a direct comparison, and the latter shocked me.

So, I have a serious issue with my gaming laptop. It's an Asus GL702V - 1080, [email protected], SSD, 16GB RAM and a 120hz g-sync display.
The problem is many, if not all games, have started to display a weird blur or ghost around every object when the view is moved. So, not moving everything looks fine. As soon as I turn or move I see a weird white outline briefly appear on the edge of objects whenever I turn or move. It's on all things and makes the PQ really weird. Yet it doesn't happen all the time. In fact if I hit 60fps locked it's fine. But if I am above or below that it goes weird. I'm not sure but that seems to be the case. It's really baffling as initially everything was fine. It's only popped up in the last 3 months or so. I idon't know if it's a driver thing or if the display needs it's own driver. But it's hugely frustrating. Just don't understand at all.
I've tried changing my res to 60hz from 120hz and no differrence.
You seem to be describing ghosting to a T, but I'm not sure why it would suddenly start happening out of nowhere.

Does it happen with v-sync turned off?

I'm leaning in this direction as well. My laptop has a 1070 which crushes its 1080p panel, so why should I upgrade just to crush 1080p a little bit harder?

I'm really disappointed that full tilt 2070s and 2080s are being sold with 1080p panels, instead bringing 1440p in an as option.

Last edited:

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like an upgrade from 1060 6gb to 2060 also 6gb just seems kind of silly.

This is what I'm thinking about. I'm likely going to be a new laptop this fall but with how weak the 2070 max-q is I don't think it's worth upgrading from my 1060 6gb and the 2080 will be well out of my price range.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So i guess i ought to aim for a 1440p+144 hz panel at least.
Has to be 15 inch tho, i cannot do 17 inch personally spesking.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
K.Jack I've spent some time reading up and searching online but I remain at a loss regarding 1440p; what are the models that support it normally, and could a laptop that is listed to support 1080p, able to go to 1440p?

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Well gonna stick with my Aorus for now. Wanted to jump from 1080 to 2080 but at that price I'll wait.

Have desktop with 2080 in it just wanted the option on the go.

Maybe more or better options later this year?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of glad there is no planned Alienware 13R3 replacement. Should keep my resale value up especially with the OLED.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
K.Jack I've spent some time reading up and searching online but I remain at a loss regarding 1440p; what are the models that support it normally, and could a laptop that is listed to support 1080p, able to go to 1440p?
There have been few laptops with 1440p. The Gigabyte X9, Alienware 17, and some high end Clevo are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

If you sourced a 1440p laptop panel, you could add it to your laptop, yes, assuming your laptop's screen is accessible. One would most certainly lose their G-Sync functionality though.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A quick rundown of what i want are
144 hz screen
Rtx 2070
1440p 15" screen

Now granted such a model may appear in later months but those are my ideal specs.

Ah, well, then you'll be waiting a bit I would think. 13r3 is 60hz, but afaik the only OLED laptop on the market. It does have a cheap external graphics box if you have a separate monitor set up. You could add an Rtx card down the line. I'm actually thinking of doing that for my TV as it supports 120hz 1080p.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
You seem to be describing ghosting to a T, but I'm not sure why it would suddenly start happening out of nowhere.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, with v-sync off it still happens but is far more obvious at low frame rates and even at 60fps too. That said I was testing with AC: Odyssey which is a demanding game though I can play it quite well at 1080p. Thing is when I turned the frame limiter off (in the game) performance was better and that ghosting nowhere near as bad even at 40fps. Now Destiny 2 I can get 75-90fps and it's not at all visible, but not tried at a locked low frame rate like 30fps. Also Forza Horizon 4 has always been good but I get this ghosting on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Civ VI and to a lesser extent Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 (more to do with the nature of the game than anything). It's odd because when I first got the laptop nearly a year ago I didn't notice anything. But then maybe what I was playing then was less demanding.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Some of these early reviews are very puzzling.
The 2070 MQ is only a 10% increase over the 1070 MQ?

Gigabyte Aero 15 Review - NVIDIA RTX Laptop

As an Aero 15 owner I can tell you Gigabyte is all over the place with their silicon.
I had one unit constantly hit 80/91 CPU/GPU, and another with the 91/78 CPU/GPU.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, with v-sync off it still happens but is far more obvious at low frame rates and even at 60fps too. That said I was testing with AC: Odyssey which is a demanding game though I can play it quite well at 1080p. Thing is when I turned the frame limiter off (in the game) performance was better and that ghosting nowhere near as bad even at 40fps. Now Destiny 2 I can get 75-90fps and it's not at all visible, but not tried at a locked low frame rate like 30fps. Also Forza Horizon 4 has always been good but I get this ghosting on Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Civ VI and to a lesser extent Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 (more to do with the nature of the game than anything). It's odd because when I first got the laptop nearly a year ago I didn't notice anything. But then maybe what I was playing then was less demanding.
I seem to have found a thread on ghosting that mentioned your GL702V2 specifically. Ignore the OP and read all posts by the user Tindreal, starting at post #6.

As an Aero 15 owner I can tell you Gigabyte is all over the place with their silicon.
I had one unit constantly hit 80/91 CPU/GPU, and another with the 91/78 CPU/GPU.
The 2070 has to be constrained even further than the 1070, to fit into the same laptop. That said, she chose some of the worst benchmarks to use as comparisons.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
MC has the MSI MSI GT63 Titan-052 15" with a 1080 on sale. Tempting.

Not sure if it worth compared with my AW 17 R4 with the 7280HK and 1080. Going from a gorgeous 17" 1440p 120Hz to 15" TN 1080 120Hz... Hmm...

Silicon Lottery is more noticeable with Max-Q chips.

Last edited:

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

I was about to post about this review. the performance increase over the outgoing one is very low IMO. Though I posted in this thread about this particular issue when the clock speed of the Max Q version came out. They are just too low compared to desktop variants. The full powered mobile RTX cards will require much more beefy hardware. As for right now, GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 laptop owners should not worry about upgrading. I would advise people to get the Pascal laptops when they get dirt cheap in the next few months.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I seem to have found a thread on ghosting that mentioned your GL702V2 specifically. Ignore the OP and read all posts by the user Tindreal, starting at post #6.

Thanks for that. So this would tally with my experience of it only happening at a certain date. It's a driver issue. I did wonder but I thought it couldn't be. Very annoying. Now, maybe if I can find driver 376.06 that may help in the meantime.
That said 376 is pretty old so I must have had an up-to-date one when I got my laptop. Hmmm.
Also seems I may be stuck with a dud all the same.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks for that. So this would tally with my experience of it only happening at a certain date. It's a driver issue. I did wonder but I thought it couldn't be. Very annoying. Now, maybe if I can find driver 376.06 that may help in the meantime.
That said 376 is pretty old so I must have had an up-to-date one when I got my laptop. Hmmm.
Also seems I may be stuck with a dud all the same.
I would also try going to ASUS's site and downloading whatever officially supported OEM GPU drivers they have there.

I found 376.06 by the way. I'm really curious to know if they actually do solve the issue.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

I think the Max Q boost clock ranges are all over the board for 20-series

Some are only a couple hundred mhz under stock clocks, and some are like halved.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Max Q boost clock ranges are all over the board for 20-series

Some are only a couple hundred mhz under stock clocks, and some are like halved.
It depends on the TDP specified by the laptop maker. The 80W TDP which was in the review he linked is the slowest version.Thicker laptops that can provide power and cool 100-115w variants will run at higher clock speed. But with those types of TDPs, you will not find them in thin and light gaming laptops. maybe larger 17 inch models. So from now on just because a laptop is advertised to have an RTX 2070 max-q, doesn't mean they have equal performance. You will have to look at the clock speed that each specific laptop can maintain to know the performance levels. This will suck as laptop makers rarely release that sort of information.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Jesus, RTX 2070 Max-Q is slower than my current desktop-grade GTX 1070 laptop.

I was really looking forward to getting a thin laptop but with a performance side-grade or even downgrade, I'm noping the fuck out. Damn shame.

It's been like 3 years since Pascal, right? Can't believe just how much GPU progress has stagnated.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Just like on the desktop side of things, anyone with a GTX 1060 or higher should be waiting for 2020 and the 7nm RTX 3000 series.

huggers

Dec 11, 2017
What's a good entry level gaming laptop? I've managed to break mine unfortunately and can't afford to replace it like for like.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Give me some ideas for a witty thread title.

I think it's time to make an official gaming laptop thread since the RTX laptops are imminent.