• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I have a 970m right now and I've just been casually browsing Amazon. My budget would prob be $2000 at most.
GTX 970M.... hmmm. This is a tough spot.

The thing is that you've been sitting on that for a long time as this console generation hasn't really forced you to upgrade, but with the PS5 officially looming you don't want to be dead on day one when it becomes the new baseline and the system requirements PC skyrocket. The new target being a new gen 8 core Ryzen and a 7nm Navi is going to violently wake up all of our GPUs which have been sleepwalking through the last few years of PC ports. My laptop's GTX 1070 is a little shook, my quad core CPU is DOA.

As far as buying now, should you? The incoming 9th Gen Intel mobile CPUs are introducing 8-core CPUs from the i7s and up, so you may want to hold out with a budget like yours.

GPU wise, with a $2k budget we are looking at a full power RTX 2070, no Max-Q shenanigans. Huge upgrade over the 970M.

How are you holding up, gaming wise? Part of me wants to know if you can and are willing to hold out for Nvidia's 7nm 3000 series that's coming next year. That will be the only guaranteed future proof move on the chess board. If you had a 1000 series GPU waiting would be a no brainer, though the 970M still equates itself pretty well at 1080p, especially if you have the 6GB VRAM version.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I recently sold my old Asus UX501 and I'm in the market for something fresh, preferably with an RTX 2060.

Thinking about making the jump to 17", for visual comfort mostly. Are there any really compact machines in that size now ? Something that would fit in a 15" case from like 5-6 years ago. Because space is a bit of an issue.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I recently sold my old Asus UX501 and I'm in the market for something fresh, preferably with an RTX 2060.

Thinking about making the jump to 17", for visual comfort mostly. Are there any really compact machines in that size now ? Something that would fit in a 15" case from like 5-6 years ago. Because space is a bit of an issue.
Either you get small, or you get power.

17" in a 15.6" frame? No.

There are 17" "slim" laptops, but if you want compact, you'll have to bite on a 15.6".

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Dimension wise, the MSI GS75 is about as "compact" as a 17" laptop can get, yet I doubt it will fit in a case truly designed for 15.6" laptops.

17.3" machines are always about 1.4-1.5" longer than their smaller counterparts.

If your case is at least 15.6"x10.3"x.75" you have a shot at the slimmer 17" machines.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Either you get small, or you get power.

17" in a 15.6" frame? No.

There are 17" "slim" laptops, but if you want compact, you'll have to bite on a 15.6".

Dimension wise, the MSI GS75 is about as "compact" as a 17" laptop can get, yet I doubt it will fit in a case truly designed for 15.6" laptops.

17.3" machines are always about 1.4-1.5" longer than their smaller counterparts.

If your case is at least 15.6"x10.3"x.75" you have a shot at the slimmer 17" machines.

Yeah I figured this was going to be complicated.

Checked out the GS75 and it looks like a great product and good enough size, but woof, 2300 euros for the 2060 configuration is huh... pretty steep. Looks like it's lower than $2000 in the US so I really feel like I'm getting fucked there.

Since I haven't had a proper gaming laptop in ages (the 960m in the UX501 wasn't exactly top tier), maybe I'll just start with a 1070 or something because it's probably going to take long before the RTX are affordable, at least in Europe.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I figured this was going to be complicated.

Checked out the GS75 and it looks like a great product and good enough size, but woof, 2300 euros for the 2060 configuration is huh... pretty steep. Looks like it's lower than $2000 in the US so I really feel like I'm getting fucked there.

Since I haven't had a proper gaming laptop in ages (the 960m in the UX501 wasn't exactly top tier), maybe I'll just start with a 1070 or something because it's probably going to take long before the RTX are affordable, at least in Europe.
American prices tend to not include the added cost of taxes until you actually buy it, so maybe not that fucked.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
That 2070 mq.....how far would emulation go to? PS2? PS3? I know cemu and citra would probably run ok....

Emulation is almost always CPU limited, you can probably max it out on a 1050 Ti on the GPU side for the most part. A 2070 mq is the epitome of overkill for emulation as would a 2060.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
5ab5a193-9c81-4b87-a188-7b71c61a3925.jpg

These new 1660 Ti machines look like they are going to be great values.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Just bought a 15.6" ASUS ROG Strix Scar II w/2070 and 512GB NVMe. It's been a while since I've had a gaming capable PC. Honestly I'm mainly going to be using it for development, but still am excited to potentially use it to play older games at 4K60 and other PC titles that only top out at 30 on consoles.

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend me a music production/gaming laptop? Budget is $1800~ but will go higher if needed. Things that are important are CPU, thin, battery life, and can be purchased on Amazon.

It will be music production 1st and gaming 2nd if that helps.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Can anyone recommend me a music production/gaming laptop? Budget is $1800~ but will go higher if needed. Things that are important are CPU, thin, battery life, and can be purchased on Amazon.

Do you need windows? A MacBook pro would probably honestly fit the bill best for music production

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Acer Predator Triton 500, if you want to spend the full budget on a premium feeling, very well reviewed machine.

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
Acer Predator Triton 500, if you want to spend the full budget on a premium feeling, very well reviewed machine.

Thanks. That looks perfect. I've been out of the loop on the laptop GPU side of things. How big is the jump from a GTX 1060 to RTX 1060? If not that big, Is there a laptop like this one with a slight downgrade at GPU to save a little cash? If not, this one will be at the top of the list.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Thanks. That looks perfect. I've been out of the loop on the laptop GPU side of things. How big is the jump from a GTX 1060 to RTX 1060? If not that big, Is there a laptop like this one with a slight downgrade at GPU to save a little cash? If not, this one will be at the top of the list.
Depending on the game the RTX 2060 is 20-35% at 1080p Ultra settings.

To step down I'd just wait for the new GTX 1660 Ti laptops that are reported to be dropping in the next few weeks. No reason to look at the GTX 1060 when these will be hundreds cheaper than the RTX 2060 SKUs.

Last edited:

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017

To step down I'd just wait for the new GTX 1660 Ti laptops that are reported to be dropping in the next few weeks. No reason to look at the GTX 1060 when these will be hundreds cheaper than the RTX 2060 SKUs.

Appreciate the advice

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we start seeing more and more 9th Gen laptops this week. I like the new Razer Blade options but they only offer 240hz displays unless you want a 4K OLED.

Waiting to see on thermals before I decide if I am getting a 8th gen or not. Also want a Mercury White one so my options are limited.

Edit: Looks like the 240hz panels are TFT. That's probably going to a no go from me. I'll hold out a little longer and see how low the 8th Gen 2060s drop to in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
American prices tend to not include t

Yeah, it seems 1660 Ti will be great price point coupled with better battery. Should be substantially faster then a 1060, marginally slower then a 2060, but cheaper and able to fit into slimmer systems for less.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Edit: Looks like the 240hz panels are TFT. That's probably going to a no go from me. I'll hold out a little longer and see how low the 8th Gen 2060s drop to in the next few weeks.
I'd feel comfortable betting money, that this 1080p 240Hz TN panel looks better than any 1080p IPS laptop display you've used prior.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I'd feel comfortable betting money, that this 1080p 240Hz TN panel looks better than any 1080p IPS laptop display you've used prior.

If I buy it and it is bad I'm blaming you! Wonder how the panel is going to affect battery life.

I really am holding out to see the Acer ConceptD7 reviews but the 4k panel doesn't really do much for me.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Thinking about getting myself a gaming laptop soon. I could really use freeing up some space on my desk and as my monitor is on its way out I figured it would be a good time.

At the moment I'm considering the MSI GS65 Stealth or the Razer Blade 15. I think I like the GS65 more but the lack of extra storage does worry me a bit if I'm expecting this to replace my current desktop.

Going to be a couple of months of putting money aside before I can afford either though so I'll definitely be doing some more research then as well.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Thinking about getting myself a gaming laptop soon. I could really use freeing up some space on my desk and as my monitor is on its way out I figured it would be a good time.

At the moment I'm considering the MSI GS65 Stealth or the Razer Blade 15. I think I like the GS65 more but the lack of extra storage does worry me a bit if I'm expecting this to replace my current desktop.

Going to be a couple of months of putting money aside before I can afford either though so I'll definitely be doing some more research then as well.
If MSI has thunderbolt, you can always get an external enclosure. If its for music/videos/docs/etc can always put together a NAS.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, guys.

Just got an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop for work and would like to reset to factory defaults. Will this remove any pre-installed Acer apps and driver's?

Thank you.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Hi everyone

How hard is it to swap out a CPU in a laptop? Bought a laptop with an I7 7500U (940mx) in it a bit over a year ago. Didn't game on it much due to having a PS4.

Recently been travelling and am looking to use my laptop more for gaming. Don't mind running things on 720/low but want good frame rates and being a dual core it's just to limited.

It's obviously not a good time to do a complete upgrade, but if it's possible to put a CPU with enough cores to run current gen games for a good price that would be ideal

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hi everyone

How hard is it to swap out a CPU in a laptop? Bought a laptop with an I7 7500U (940mx) in it a bit over a year ago. Didn't game on it much due to having a PS4.

Recently been travelling and am looking to use my laptop more for gaming. Don't mind running things on 720/low but want good frame rates and being a dual core it's just to limited.

It's obviously not a good time to do a complete upgrade, but if it's possible to put a CPU with enough cores to run current gen games for a good price that would be ideal
Your CPU is soldered to the motherboard so an upgrade is not possible.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone

You're more GPU limited.

Soldered too.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Cross-posing

Hey all!

I posted here several months ago after ordering the Area 51M, and after a few weeks with it - and with jut a couple days left in my return period - figured it might be helpful to post some impressions. TL;DR version - Lots of positive surprises, but still has some of the issues you'd expect from a desktop replacement from AW. Overall, though, I'll definitely be keeping it.

First things, first - Dell's ordering process is absolute garbage. Simple as that. If I want a MacBook Pro, I go to Apple's website, click MBP, select a size, have a drop down for some options, and order. The laptop arrives in 2-3 days. Even on brand new releases (I've ordered several within an hour of them going up), Apple's 1-2 week delivery is HYPER conservative. I ordered the Area 51M in the middle of February, and after not one... not two... not three... but FOUR delays, I finally received it in the first week of April. Every single time I was given no notice or courtesy email. I had to reach out to Dell and waste my time to get an update. And that's just shipping. The actual process of ordering it is a pain, too. There are a million combinations of this thing on their site, and eventually you'll find there will be one "pre-configured spec" that, once customized, ends up being more affordable for your desired build - even when every.single.part is the same - than ordering a different configuration start. And then every other week there's a 15% of here, $300 off there, 17% off there but with higher prices, etc. Just... yuck.

Fortunately, the machine itself has been great!

You immediately notice the build quality. It's not svelte like a MBP or Surface... but it's not trying to be. It's a non-apologetic desktop replacement - meant only to be moved on rare occasion to the LAN party, the hotel for an extended stay, or to your buddy's on a weekend. This is not meant for coffee shop reading or airport lap work. But it doesn't try to be that. It's a tank, and fortunately feels supremely solid - possibly the most rigid palm rest of all time - zero keyboard flex. A wonderful, solid hinge. Everything just feels of very high quality, and I'm a huge stickler for that. Keyboard feels just fantastic. The trackpad is far from Apple good, but it's toe-to-toe with Razer or Surface, IMO; though I wish it was a bit bigger. While yes, it's heavy, and yes, it's large, it's much smaller in person than I expected. I had the Alienware DTR of old in my mind, but really, it just feels like a Dell or Toshiba or HP laptop from ~8 years ago; just MUCH better build. But it's not a monstrosity - the thin bezels and angled design when closed really bring the thing to a manageable size when sitting on a desk.

The screen is the best 1080p LCD laptop screen I've ever used. On one hand, that's a great compliment... on another, that obviously makes it clear it could be much better. Backlight bleed and LCD glow are kept to a minimum. Colors are solid. It gets more than bright enough for inside the home. 144hz G-Sync is incredible - I'm used to 165hz at my desk and so giving up the high refresh rate would be really hard. It's a good monitor, for sure. And the thin bezels again make it pretty modern looking. But at the end of the day, I do think being 1080p is probably the biggest knock I have against the whole device. Thing is, the rumor is we'll see 4K - possibly high refresh rate - later in the year. Will I regret that? I don't think so (unless they suprise with OLED); I think 1440p would be the sweet spot, but rumors also suggest that's never coming.

Most importantly though... performance, right?

I spent a solid week tweaking, and while I've been able to clock higher and chase 3D Mark scores, the stability hasn't been quite there and temps were ridiculous. For day to day gaming, right now I've been sticking with the following; though I may bump things down even a bit further in the interest of temps:

i9 9900K @ 5Ghz on all 8 cores with ThrottleStop. -125mv Undervolt.
RTX 2080 @ 1875 boost clock @ 875mv, +300 on the memory
64GB DDR4 @ 2400 (BIOS update rumored to unlock 2666 - so, so lame)
1TB 970 Evo Plus x2 in RAID0 with generic heatsinks from Amazon

I've been stable in 3-4 passes of 3DMark, an hour of R6 Siege there, an hour of Overwatch over here, and an hour of PUBG there. The tiniest adjustment to the UV on the CPU gives me total system freezes; any lower mV or higher clocks on the 2080 gives me some graphical glitches in Metro Exodus. That said... pretty insane for a laptop, don't ya think?!

Overwatch sees the CPU hit about ~75c average and 80c max; GPU hits about 70c max.
R6 Siege - which is notoriously hard on CPU - hits about 80c on average and hits 90c VERY rarely for a split second. GPU hits about 67 max.
PUBG has no idea what it's doing, but averages after 3 rounds at 74c on CPU and 69c on GPU.
FireStrike nets me at 24K like this, I got to 26K with more agressive settings. 28,000 graphics score.

This is all with unlocked framerate and "performance" fans which is about 1 tier down from max. They're loud, but they're not whiny and they wouldn't be picked up on a headset.

I intend to De-lid my CPU and I already have some FujiPoly Extreme pads and Thermal Grizzy K paste for the CPU and GPU. All that replacing the stock cooling should easily shave another 3-4c on all the temps above.

So yeah - it runs warm, for sure. But versus other gaming laptops, I feel like it's pretty damn solid - and that's ignoring the fact it's a full desktop 9900k which runs hot in anything, and a 200w 2080. It's not nearly as cool as my old custom water loop - but it's in a laptop, ya know? And something about that just seems cool to me. In no way, shape, or form do I think most would want to justify the cost - it's spending a lot of money to get objectively worse performance and cooling than a desktop, of course. But, it fills a niche that I find pretty exciting, and I'm really glad this exists, even if I know I'll probably go right back to a desktop in a couple years when I grow bored of the "uniqueness."

Happy to answer any questions!

8ZCJeMF.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posing

Hey all!

I posted here several months ago after ordering the Area 51M, and after a few weeks with it - and with jut a couple days left in my return period - figured it might be helpful to post some impressions. TL;DR version - Lots of positive surprises, but still has some of the issues you'd expect from a desktop replacement from AW. Overall, though, I'll definitely be keeping it.

First things, first - Dell's ordering process is absolute garbage. Simple as that. If I want a MacBook Pro, I go to Apple's website, click MBP, select a size, have a drop down for some options, and order. The laptop arrives in 2-3 days. Even on brand new releases (I've ordered several within an hour of them going up), Apple's 1-2 week delivery is HYPER conservative. I ordered the Area 51M in the middle of February, and after not one... not two... not three... but FOUR delays, I finally received it in the first week of April. Every single time I was given no notice or courtesy email. I had to reach out to Dell and waste my time to get an update. And that's just shipping. The actual process of ordering it is a pain, too. There are a million combinations of this thing on their site, and eventually you'll find there will be one "pre-configured spec" that, once customized, ends up being more affordable for your desired build - even when every.single.part is the same - than ordering a different configuration start. And then every other week there's a 15% of here, $300 off there, 17% off there but with higher prices, etc. Just... yuck.

Fortunately, the machine itself has been great!

You immediately notice the build quality. It's not svelte like a MBP or Surface... but it's not trying to be. It's a non-apologetic desktop replacement - meant only to be moved on rare occasion to the LAN party, the hotel for an extended stay, or to your buddy's on a weekend. This is not meant for coffee shop reading or airport lap work. But it doesn't try to be that. It's a tank, and fortunately feels supremely solid - possibly the most rigid palm rest of all time - zero keyboard flex. A wonderful, solid hinge. Everything just feels of very high quality, and I'm a huge stickler for that. Keyboard feels just fantastic. The trackpad is far from Apple good, but it's toe-to-toe with Razer or Surface, IMO; though I wish it was a bit bigger. While yes, it's heavy, and yes, it's large, it's much smaller in person than I expected. I had the Alienware DTR of old in my mind, but really, it just feels like a Dell or Toshiba or HP laptop from ~8 years ago; just MUCH better build. But it's not a monstrosity - the thin bezels and angled design when closed really bring the thing to a manageable size when sitting on a desk.

The screen is the best 1080p LCD laptop screen I've ever used. On one hand, that's a great compliment... on another, that obviously makes it clear it could be much better. Backlight bleed and LCD glow are kept to a minimum. Colors are solid. It gets more than bright enough for inside the home. 144hz G-Sync is incredible - I'm used to 165hz at my desk and so giving up the high refresh rate would be really hard. It's a good monitor, for sure. And the thin bezels again make it pretty modern looking. But at the end of the day, I do think being 1080p is probably the biggest knock I have against the whole device. Thing is, the rumor is we'll see 4K - possibly high refresh rate - later in the year. Will I regret that? I don't think so (unless they suprise with OLED); I think 1440p would be the sweet spot, but rumors also suggest that's never coming.

Most importantly though... performance, right?

I spent a solid week tweaking, and while I've been able to clock higher and chase 3D Mark scores, the stability hasn't been quite there and temps were ridiculous. For day to day gaming, right now I've been sticking with the following; though I may bump things down even a bit further in the interest of temps:

i9 9900K @ 5Ghz on all 8 cores with ThrottleStop. -125mv Undervolt.
RTX 2080 @ 1875 boost clock @ 875mv, +300 on the memory
64GB DDR4 @ 2400 (BIOS update rumored to unlock 2666 - so, so lame)
1TB 970 Evo Plus x2 in RAID0 with generic heatsinks from Amazon

I've been stable in 3-4 passes of 3DMark, an hour of R6 Siege there, an hour of Overwatch over here, and an hour of PUBG there. The tiniest adjustment to the UV on the CPU gives me total system freezes; any lower mV or higher clocks on the 2080 gives me some graphical glitches in Metro Exodus. That said... pretty insane for a laptop, don't ya think?!

Overwatch sees the CPU hit about ~75c average and 80c max; GPU hits about 70c max.
R6 Siege - which is notoriously hard on CPU - hits about 80c on average and hits 90c VERY rarely for a split second. GPU hits about 67 max.
PUBG has no idea what it's doing, but averages after 3 rounds at 74c on CPU and 69c on GPU.
FireStrike nets me at 24K like this, I got to 26K with more agressive settings. 28,000 graphics score.

This is all with unlocked framerate and "performance" fans which is about 1 tier down from max. They're loud, but they're not whiny and they wouldn't be picked up on a headset.

I intend to De-lid my CPU and I already have some FujiPoly Extreme pads and Thermal Grizzy K paste for the CPU and GPU. All that replacing the stock cooling should easily shave another 3-4c on all the temps above.

So yeah - it runs warm, for sure. But versus other gaming laptops, I feel like it's pretty damn solid - and that's ignoring the fact it's a full desktop 9900k which runs hot in anything, and a 200w 2080. It's not nearly as cool as my old custom water loop - but it's in a laptop, ya know? And something about that just seems cool to me. In no way, shape, or form do I think most would want to justify the cost - it's spending a lot of money to get objectively worse performance and cooling than a desktop, of course. But, it fills a niche that I find pretty exciting, and I'm really glad this exists, even if I know I'll probably go right back to a desktop in a couple years when I grow bored of the "uniqueness."

Happy to answer any questions!

8ZCJeMF.jpg
Thanks for this great writeup, I recently upgraded from an Alienware R3 to a Lenovo Legion Y740 but I was considering this model before deciding that at the moment it was too rich for my blood. I love that the hype is real on it though and I'll keep it on my radar in the future when I cycle out the second 13-inch R3 and turn the Y740 into my backup.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
It's a non-apologetic desktop replacement - meant only to be moved on rare occasion to the LAN party, the hotel for an extended stay, or to your buddy's on a weekend. This is not meant for coffee shop reading or airport lap work.
You're so right about that. I have an Alienware 17 R4 with the Vindicator rolling bag to take it as carry on. I flew enough times with it to get pissed off at the bag and size. Ended up getting a 13 R3 OLED to travel with.

(still have the 17 R4 collecting dust now D: )

If you need to get a bag for it, get the Everki Titan. Hands down, the best backpack for DTRs. I didn't know they made a Titan carry on roller bag too until recently >.<

I'd argue against the the Fujipoly pads and to instead get Gelids. They are softer than the Fujis. I tried both on my 17 R4 and stuck with the Gelid ones. Used Gelids on my 13 R3 too. You can get them from Amazon.

Remember to keep it on a cooling pad if possible, or something to lift the back for more airflow. The legs Alienwares come with are too short so they end up sucking hot air.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to look into possibly switching from desktop gaming to getting a gaming laptop.

My current PC has an i5-8400 and a GTX 1070 (not the ti version) and I'm pretty happy with its performance.

What's the rough equivalent to those specs on a laptop? Could I get one of the upcoming cheapish GTX 1650/1660 laptops and get similar performance.

Also, I know Costco get pretty great deals sometimes, does anyone know how often those sales come around? Just Christmas time/black Friday, or are there any summer sales?
I don't need a laptop right this second, so I can wait for a solid sale.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I'm starting to look into possibly switching from desktop gaming to getting a gaming laptop.

My current PC has an i5-8400 and a GTX 1070 (not the ti version) and I'm pretty happy with its performance.

What's the rough equivalent to those specs on a laptop? Could I get one of the upcoming cheapish GTX 1650/1660 laptops and get similar performance.

Also, I know Costco get pretty great deals sometimes, does anyone know how often those sales come around? Just Christmas time/black Friday, or are there any summer sales?
I don't need a laptop right this second, so I can wait for a solid sale.
What's your price range?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What's your price range?
That's a good question! Haha.
For now I'm looking in the $1000-1200 range.

Really depends on what I'm able to sell my Desktop for (never sold a custom PC before, don't really know where to start, hopefully I can get at least $500 for it), and my older little Surface 3 tablet (can probably get at least $250 for that).

The more I get from those the higher I can go. I know the $1500 range can get some pretty good specs, but I don't want to break the bank getting one of these (which is why I'm open to waiting for sales).

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
That's a good question! Haha.
For now I'm looking in the $1000-1200 range.

Really depends on what I'm able to sell my Desktop for (never sold a custom PC before, don't really know where to start, hopefully I can get at least $500 for it), and my older little Surface 3 tablet (can probably get at least $250 for that).

The more I get from those the higher I can go. I know the $1500 range can get some pretty good specs, but I don't want to break the bank getting one of these (which is why I'm open to waiting for sales).
Do you mind if I PM you?

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just lateraling directly from desktop 1070 to laptop 1070 is well within that budget. Hell I recently bumped up to 2060 and it was only about $1300 for the whole laptop (Legion Y740).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just lateraling directly from desktop 1070 to laptop 1070 is well within that budget. Hell I recently bumped up to 2060 and it was only about $1300 for the whole laptop (Legion Y740).
I have been eyeing those Lenovo Legion's. I like how they keep the "gamer" aesthetic minimal, and a normal looking keyboard,and I like that they have a bunch of ports on the rear.

I think the Legion 500 series (the 540?) is getting the 1660 in the next month or so which is suppose to be solid while still being affordable.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Welllp

Got my Legion Y740 (yay!), went to do a clean install, now it's booting to black ;__;

I heard Cortana the first time I started it up, now it's just sorta sitting there. I can get into bios, so I don't think it's a display thing.

Guess I'm gonna have to work up an installation media and boot from USB next.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Welllp

Got my Legion Y740 (yay!), went to do a clean install, now it's booting to black ;__;

I heard Cortana the first time I started it up, now it's just sorta sitting there. I can get into bios, so I don't think it's a display thing.

Guess I'm gonna have to work up an installation media and boot from USB next.
Did you ever get this sorted?