• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any Legion users here? I bought Legion Y530 with i7 and GTX 1060 config for about $1200 (if you convert $1=3.8PLN) without Windows. Its expensive when you compare it to US prices, but thats the disadvantage of living in Poland (this was one of the cheapest laptops with GTX 1060 :| ) I installed my own Windows and I wanted to install this Lenovo Vantage app that give me shortcut to enable cooling boost. I download the vantage stuff from Legion Y530 drivers site but it doesnt install anything. I installed Lenovo Vantage from Windows store, downloaded additional 500 mb data, but this cooling boost isnt there. When I look at the screenshots, my Vantage app looks different than those on the internet. Also does updating BIOS give anything in term of thermals?

Sergio

Nov 13, 2018
Should I buy this laptop? The price I have to pay is 900 €.

Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572-793Q i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB + 256GB HDD/SSD, GTX 1060 6GB, 39,62 cm - 15,6''

The only "problem" is that the i7 is an i7-7700HQ, not an 8750H. But the price is pretty worth, right? I want to read your opinions about the price and laptop. I think it's a nice deal.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Any Legion users here? I bought Legion Y530 with i7 and GTX 1060 config for about $1200 (if you convert $1=3.8PLN) without Windows. Its expensive when you compare it to US prices, but thats the disadvantage of living in Poland (this was one of the cheapest laptops with GTX 1060 :| ) I installed my own Windows and I wanted to install this Lenovo Vantage app that give me shortcut to enable cooling boost. I download the vantage stuff from Legion Y530 drivers site but it doesnt install anything. I installed Lenovo Vantage from Windows store, downloaded additional 500 mb data, but this cooling boost isnt there. When I look at the screenshots, my Vantage app looks different than those on the internet. Also does updating BIOS give anything in term of thermals?

Had the 1050 version of that laptop for a day took it back the next. Same problem with Vantage. Supposedly had a fan control feature but never found it even after updating. CPU was running at 3.9ghz the entire time reaching 90 celcius with just 20% utilization using 2 cores for background Windows updates. Fans would ramp up most of the time. To top things off, battery life was utter trash. Never did a bios update though.

Good luck.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017

I have the same problem with this model. It randomly spins the fans every few minutes for 3 seconds but there's no fan control anywhere.

I would appreciate if anyone has a solution because the official forums offer no help.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am looking for that model.
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/ac...g/eqsqid/0a995c97-368e-423a-ad2e-bc2cd4d55bec
Anything against the IPS panel? I am fine with no G-Sync on the laptop.
I wouldn't take it over the ASUS ROG Strix I see available at the same price, or the MSI GL63 8SE that is shipping with an RTX 2060 at a lower price.

Should I buy this laptop? The price I have to pay is 900 €.

Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572-793Q i7-7700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 1TB + 256GB HDD/SSD, GTX 1060 6GB, 39,62 cm - 15,6''

The only "problem" is that the i7 is an i7-7700HQ, not an 8750H. But the price is pretty worth, right? I want to read your opinions about the price and laptop. I think it's a nice deal.
It's hard to comment on the value without seeing what else is available, but I'll go ahead and assume that the 8750H models cost way more.

I'm interested in what you can afford because I am worried about quad core laptops as we enter a console generation where even the weakest among them will have a legitimately powerful octa-core CPU.

Sergio

Nov 13, 2018
I wouldn't take it over the ASUS ROG Strix I see available at the same price, or the MSI GL63 8SE that is shipping with an RTX 2060 at a lower price.

It's hard to comment on the value without seeing what else is available, but I'll go ahead and assume that the 8750H models cost way more.

I'm interested in what you can afford because I am worried about quad core laptops as we enter a console generation where even the weakest among them will have a legitimately powerful octa-core CPU.

The max. amount I can spend is 999€

I can get the same offer (900€) for the same laptop, changing the i7-7700HQ for the i7 8750H, but I lost RAM (from 16 to 8) and SSD (from 256 to 128). The other specs are the same, 1060 6 GB, same screen...

So I'm a little confused about what to do.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

I can get the same offer (900€) for the same laptop, changing the i7-7700HQ for the i7 8750H, but I lost RAM (from 16 to 8) and SSD (from 256 to 128). The other specs are the same, 1060 6 GB, same screen...

It's cheaper to upgrade Ram/HDS then a CPU. Check if you can on that model and just buy more ram in a few months

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't had an AMD processor in a long time, but is the Ryzen 7 3750H a good one for a laptop?

I'm eyeing the ROG Zephyrus G or the Asus TUF.

Weirdly they're both the same price ($1100) with close to the same specs (same processor with a 1660 ti, 120hz screens): the Zephyrus has less RAM (8GB) but a larger SSD and I think longer battery, while the TUF has more RAM (16gb) a smaller SDD but also has a 1tb HDD.

The Zephyrus G isn't out until later this month, and I think the TUF is a newer model that still doesn't have reviews out yet (the Asus website lists it as having a 144hz screen and an Intel processor).

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cross-posing

Hey all!

I posted here several months ago after ordering the Area 51M, and after a few weeks with it - and with jut a couple days left in my return period - figured it might be helpful to post some impressions. TL;DR version - Lots of positive surprises, but still has some of the issues you'd expect from a desktop replacement from AW. Overall, though, I'll definitely be keeping it.

First things, first - Dell's ordering process is absolute garbage. Simple as that. If I want a MacBook Pro, I go to Apple's website, click MBP, select a size, have a drop down for some options, and order. The laptop arrives in 2-3 days. Even on brand new releases (I've ordered several within an hour of them going up), Apple's 1-2 week delivery is HYPER conservative. I ordered the Area 51M in the middle of February, and after not one... not two... not three... but FOUR delays, I finally received it in the first week of April. Every single time I was given no notice or courtesy email. I had to reach out to Dell and waste my time to get an update. And that's just shipping. The actual process of ordering it is a pain, too. There are a million combinations of this thing on their site, and eventually you'll find there will be one "pre-configured spec" that, once customized, ends up being more affordable for your desired build - even when every.single.part is the same - than ordering a different configuration start. And then every other week there's a 15% of here, $300 off there, 17% off there but with higher prices, etc. Just... yuck.

Fortunately, the machine itself has been great!

You immediately notice the build quality. It's not svelte like a MBP or Surface... but it's not trying to be. It's a non-apologetic desktop replacement - meant only to be moved on rare occasion to the LAN party, the hotel for an extended stay, or to your buddy's on a weekend. This is not meant for coffee shop reading or airport lap work. But it doesn't try to be that. It's a tank, and fortunately feels supremely solid - possibly the most rigid palm rest of all time - zero keyboard flex. A wonderful, solid hinge. Everything just feels of very high quality, and I'm a huge stickler for that. Keyboard feels just fantastic. The trackpad is far from Apple good, but it's toe-to-toe with Razer or Surface, IMO; though I wish it was a bit bigger. While yes, it's heavy, and yes, it's large, it's much smaller in person than I expected. I had the Alienware DTR of old in my mind, but really, it just feels like a Dell or Toshiba or HP laptop from ~8 years ago; just MUCH better build. But it's not a monstrosity - the thin bezels and angled design when closed really bring the thing to a manageable size when sitting on a desk.

The screen is the best 1080p LCD laptop screen I've ever used. On one hand, that's a great compliment... on another, that obviously makes it clear it could be much better. Backlight bleed and LCD glow are kept to a minimum. Colors are solid. It gets more than bright enough for inside the home. 144hz G-Sync is incredible - I'm used to 165hz at my desk and so giving up the high refresh rate would be really hard. It's a good monitor, for sure. And the thin bezels again make it pretty modern looking. But at the end of the day, I do think being 1080p is probably the biggest knock I have against the whole device. Thing is, the rumor is we'll see 4K - possibly high refresh rate - later in the year. Will I regret that? I don't think so (unless they suprise with OLED); I think 1440p would be the sweet spot, but rumors also suggest that's never coming.

Most importantly though... performance, right?

I spent a solid week tweaking, and while I've been able to clock higher and chase 3D Mark scores, the stability hasn't been quite there and temps were ridiculous. For day to day gaming, right now I've been sticking with the following; though I may bump things down even a bit further in the interest of temps:

i9 9900K @ 5Ghz on all 8 cores with ThrottleStop. -125mv Undervolt.
RTX 2080 @ 1875 boost clock @ 875mv, +300 on the memory
64GB DDR4 @ 2400 (BIOS update rumored to unlock 2666 - so, so lame)
1TB 970 Evo Plus x2 in RAID0 with generic heatsinks from Amazon

I've been stable in 3-4 passes of 3DMark, an hour of R6 Siege there, an hour of Overwatch over here, and an hour of PUBG there. The tiniest adjustment to the UV on the CPU gives me total system freezes; any lower mV or higher clocks on the 2080 gives me some graphical glitches in Metro Exodus. That said... pretty insane for a laptop, don't ya think?!

Overwatch sees the CPU hit about ~75c average and 80c max; GPU hits about 70c max.
R6 Siege - which is notoriously hard on CPU - hits about 80c on average and hits 90c VERY rarely for a split second. GPU hits about 67 max.
PUBG has no idea what it's doing, but averages after 3 rounds at 74c on CPU and 69c on GPU.
FireStrike nets me at 24K like this, I got to 26K with more agressive settings. 28,000 graphics score.

This is all with unlocked framerate and "performance" fans which is about 1 tier down from max. They're loud, but they're not whiny and they wouldn't be picked up on a headset.

I intend to De-lid my CPU and I already have some FujiPoly Extreme pads and Thermal Grizzy K paste for the CPU and GPU. All that replacing the stock cooling should easily shave another 3-4c on all the temps above.

So yeah - it runs warm, for sure. But versus other gaming laptops, I feel like it's pretty damn solid - and that's ignoring the fact it's a full desktop 9900k which runs hot in anything, and a 200w 2080. It's not nearly as cool as my old custom water loop - but it's in a laptop, ya know? And something about that just seems cool to me. In no way, shape, or form do I think most would want to justify the cost - it's spending a lot of money to get objectively worse performance and cooling than a desktop, of course. But, it fills a niche that I find pretty exciting, and I'm really glad this exists, even if I know I'll probably go right back to a desktop in a couple years when I grow bored of the "uniqueness."

Happy to answer any questions!

8ZCJeMF.jpg

Thanks for this - I was just looking at these on the weekend. Would you say Dell's claims for "upgradeability" are legitimate?

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
Any thoughts on the MSI GL63 9SDK-614 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q433V3T/ ?

It doesn't have any reviews but seems to check a lot of the boxes I'm looking for (cpu, gpu, ram, storage). Decent price as well. Just missing the thin form factor and good battery life. I'm trying to decide if I should wait for more 1660 ti models to roll out or just pull the trigger on this.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
So I am not exactly looking for a gaming PC, just something cheap and portable to use for school purposes. Screen should be up to 14 inches at most, and the budget is a modest $300. The laptop's OS should be Windows 10. Hope it's okay to ask for suggestions here. I really appreciate it.

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
So I am not exactly looking for a gaming PC, just something cheap and portable to use for school purposes. Screen should be up to 14 inches at most, and the budget is a modest $300. The laptop's OS should be Windows 10. Hope it's okay to ask for suggestions here. I really appreciate it.

If you want something cheap and portable for school, try to find an older MS Surface pro. You can probably find a Surface Pro 3 in that price range.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

You can eventually buy a larger SSD, and eventually buy another stick of RAM, but you are stuck with the CPU for the life of the macine.

With those truths in mind, I would buy the SKU that has the i7-8750H.

Gaming laptop priorities are always GPU > CPU >> Storage >>>> RAM.

I haven't had an AMD processor in a long time, but is the Ryzen 7 3750H a good one for a laptop?

I'm eyeing the ROG Zephyrus G or the Asus TUF.

Weirdly they're both the same price ($1100) with close to the same specs (same processor with a 1660 ti, 120hz screens): the Zephyrus has less RAM (8GB) but a larger SSD and I think longer battery, while the TUF has more RAM (16gb) a smaller SDD but also has a 1tb HDD.

The Zephyrus G isn't out until later this month, and I think the TUF is a newer model that still doesn't have reviews out yet (the Asus website lists it as having a 144hz screen and an Intel processor).
I don't consider it a good buy if an i7-8750H or 9750H can be had around the same price or not much more.

Thanks for this - I was just looking at these on the weekend. Would you say Dell's claims for "upgradeability" are legitimate?
The upgradeability won't be put to the test until Nvidia's next generation of GPUs is released. There is no way of knowing right now.

There will be riots if Dell desn't hold true to their word, I know that.
If you want something cheap and portable for school, try to find an older MS Surface pro. You can probably find a Surface Pro 3 in that price range.
Probably the best move. I mean Newegg doesn't even cell a $300 laptop that isn't refurbished.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I don't consider it a good buy if an i7-8750H or 9750H can be had around the same price or not much more.
Im not really seeing any of those in the $1100 range, or if i do they all have a 1060 or a 1050ti.

Is that Ryzen 7 3750H enough of a downgrade from those Intel that it'll negate the benefits of the 1660ti

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably be going back to ASUS for my next laptop.

Current one is a Gigabyte and it sucks. Idle temperatures are 70C and that's with it being on a stand with active fans (Although the stand is one of those crappy $40 ones I got from best buy that sound like a jet engine and the fans get stuck).

Pain in the ass to clean, and the battery has been holding like 10 seconds of charge for the last few years (seriously). Internally mounted too.

Couldn't get a replacement keyboard once mine died either, would have cost like $400 to ship the damn thing to Gigabyte for repairs, keyboard isn't available for public purchase, so I've been using a usb keyboard for a while, too.

Gen 9 prices look really rough right now, will see where they're at in the fall.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Im not really seeing any of those in the $1100 range, or if i do they all have a 1060 or a 1050ti.

Is that Ryzen 7 3750H enough of a downgrade from those Intel that it'll negate the benefits of the 1660ti
The Helios 300 is $1,199 with an i7-9750H.

If $1,100 is your absolute max then I would take the Zephyrus.

My CPU recommendations are currently based purely on preparing for the next generation consoles having legit 8 core/16 thread Ryzen CPUs.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The Helios 300 is $1,199 with an i7-9750H.

If $1,100 is your absolute max then I would take the Zephyrus.

My CPU recommendations are currently based purely on preparing for the next generation consoles having legit 8 core/16 thread Ryzen CPUs.
Oh sweet, I hadn't seen that one when I was searching, thanks!

That does look really good, and the $100 bump does seem worth it. 256gb SSD is a bit small, but I suppose I could swap out my 512gb from my desktop or just get an extra one since it looks like it has an extra slot available.

And since it has a Thunderbolt 3 port, that mean it could be used with an external GPU once the 1660ti eventually goes out of date, right?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Been looking into that upcoming Helios 300 more and in a little worried the battery life might be lacking.

Reviews for the current Helios say it only gets about 4 hours of regular non-gaming battery life, and like 1 hour of gaming.
I doubt I'll do much gaming at all when it's not plugged in, but I'd still like to have more than 4 hours of regular usage.

Gonna wait for reviews once more of these 1660ti laptop start dripping, maybe this Helios model will have an improved battery,or maybe not.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you want good battery life from a gaming laptop with a hungry cpu and a 144 hz screen, you aren't looking in the right place.

Only ones I know had great battery life were Alienwares with 99 Wh batteries, and they were 60 Hz 1080p screens, no G-sync, 7700HQ, using the intel IGP. I could get 9 hours out of a 17 R4 that had that.

So unless you get one with a 99 Wh battery, which usually are 17 inches, and regular 60 Hz screens with no G-sync, nope.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

Hard to tell so far.

RAM and Storage were brain-dead easy to replace/upgrade. Which shouldn't be saying much, but on the modern thin-and-light landscape in the land of Surface and MacBooks, it is. FOUR RAM slots + two NVME M.2 slots + a 2.5" drive slot is super nice.

As for the CPU - yeah, it's no different than replacing the CPU on a desktop, just with a few more things to unscrew beforehand. Thing is, though, I have a 9900k. Question becomes - will there ever be a better CPU that this socket supports? And even if there is... I can't imagine Intel will support the socket for 2 or 3 more generations, which is typically when a CPU upgrade just starts to become worth it.

And the DGFF GPU is another question mark... sure, they say they'll support it, but I'll believe it when I see it. And even if they do, I imagine you'll be talking about a ~50% premium over a desktop card for likely only ~80% of the performance.

Honestly, though, none of that tackles my biggest concern... say I upgrade the CPU or the GPU or, really, anything. If God-forbid I send it in for warranty work, there are so many questions. Do I need to plug in my "old" and original CPU back in for warranty work? What if I sell it? If I de-lid my CPU, I get that would void my CPU's warranty... and if I send it back in, it shouldn't void the laptop's.... but I'm gonna lose out on the time/money to de-lid. Let's say my 2080 burns up and they end up replacing the whole machine... will they take out my upgraded RAM first? Just lots of questions.

I think the "upgradeability" really should be seen as potential to FIX your machine, in an age where if any one thing goes wrong, typically your entire computer is worthless. But between the runway for the socket and the cost of a theoretical 3080... ... I anticpate by the time I'd heavily consider upgrading, it'll likely just be more fruitful to sell the whole thing and buy the newest device.

I did a 3yr full warranty + 3yr accidental damage. I imagine I'll be throwing this up for sale a few months before those things expire with the intent to buy something newer. But with a 9900k/2080/64GB/2TB RAID0, I don't imagine that I should need much better until then, anyway.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hard to tell so far.

RAM and Storage were brain-dead easy to replace/upgrade. Which shouldn't be saying much, but on the modern thin-and-light landscape in the land of Surface and MacBooks, it is. FOUR RAM slots + two NVME M.2 slots + a 2.5" drive slot is super nice.

As for the CPU - yeah, it's no different than replacing the CPU on a desktop, just with a few more things to unscrew beforehand. Thing is, though, I have a 9900k. Question becomes - will there ever be a better CPU that this socket supports? And even if there is... I can't imagine Intel will support the socket for 2 or 3 more generations, which is typically when a CPU upgrade just starts to become worth it.

And the DGFF GPU is another question mark... sure, they say they'll support it, but I'll believe it when I see it. And even if they do, I imagine you'll be talking about a ~50% premium over a desktop card for likely only ~80% of the performance.

Honestly, though, none of that tackles my biggest concern... say I upgrade the CPU or the GPU or, really, anything. If God-forbid I send it in for warranty work, there are so many questions. Do I need to plug in my "old" and original CPU back in for warranty work? What if I sell it? If I de-lid my CPU, I get that would void my CPU's warranty... and if I send it back in, it shouldn't void the laptop's.... but I'm gonna lose out on the time/money to de-lid. Let's say my 2080 burns up and they end up replacing the whole machine... will they take out my upgraded RAM first? Just lots of questions.

I think the "upgradeability" really should be seen as potential to FIX your machine, in an age where if any one thing goes wrong, typically your entire computer is worthless. But between the runway for the socket and the cost of a theoretical 3080... ... I anticpate by the time I'd heavily consider upgrading, it'll likely just be more fruitful to sell the whole thing and buy the newest device.

I did a 3yr full warranty + 3yr accidental damage. I imagine I'll be throwing this up for sale a few months before those things expire with the intent to buy something newer. But with a 9900k/2080/64GB/2TB RAID0, I don't imagine that I should need much better until then, anyway.
If Dell does things properly, it will be like what MSI does.

When I had to send in my MSI GT73VR for repair, they had me fill out a form detailing everything I'd upgraded, so I could just leave it all in there and guarantee that it all came back with it. That way my RAM and SSDs didn't have to be removed or replaced with the OEM parts when I sent it in to them.

I will knock on wood for you that your 51M doesn't burn up like those about I've been reading.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
If Dell does things properly, it will be like what MSI does.

When I had to send in my MSI GT73VR for repair, they had me fill out a form detailing everything I'd upgraded, so I could just leave it all in there and guarantee that it all came back with it. That way my RAM and SSDs didn't have to be removed or replaced with the OEM parts when I sent it in to them.

I will knock on wood for you that your 51M doesn't burn up like those about I've been reading.

That wouldn't be too bad. Hopefully that is the case... I'm holding onto the 16GB RAM and crappy 256GB Toshiba SSD they shipped it with just in case - it's not worth much, anyway. It's more just the worries about replacements screwing things up.

And yeah - I personally think all the A51Ms are ticking time bombs at this point. Dell/Frank have been radio silent as machine... after machine... after machine is going up in smoke. It has to be a pretty niche device - how many people could possibly be a subset of gamers buying $4,000+ pre-built LAPTOPS from Dell and posting on an enthusiast forum like NBR? And even there, we've seen six or seven break, at least. Lots of rumors/gossip about BIOS updates and hardware revisions, but I've seen no evidence of either.

I'm fortunate that I have 1) the warranty and 2) plenty of back-up computers to get work done. Hopefully they get in front of their inventory and if mine burns up they can get it down to a <1week turn around. As it stands, people are waiting a month+ for their replacements and that's just BS. I'd be livid.

*knock on wood*

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been looking into that upcoming Helios 300 more and in a little worried the battery life might be lacking.

Reviews for the current Helios say it only gets about 4 hours of regular non-gaming battery life, and like 1 hour of gaming.
I doubt I'll do much gaming at all when it's not plugged in, but I'd still like to have more than 4 hours of regular usage.

Gonna wait for reviews once more of these 1660ti laptop start dripping, maybe this Helios model will have an improved battery,or maybe not.
TBH 4 hours non-gaming use with solid specs is pretty great.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The upgradeability won't be put to the test until Nvidia's next generation of GPUs is released. There is no way of knowing right now.

There will be riots if Dell desn't hold true to their word, I know that.

Haha - I think there's gonna be riots either based on what I've been reading about them failing, but yeah you're right.

Hard to tell so far.

This is exactly what I was thinking, which makes the whole upgrade path idea kinda moot. BUT I didn't consider the "repair" aspect of it.

Probably going to have to stick with the Thinkpad P Series portable workstations.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Gosh, I'm so close to hitting the Order button on a Razer Blade 15 with RTX 2060. It's just about everything I want in a laptop. I have (and will be selling) the Stealth from last year and have adored it. I can get a couple hundred bucks off the Blade 15 via student pricing at the Microsoft store, but I feel like the new consoles are gonna really change things up in a year or so.

Also I super love the glossy screen but that's only available in the wildly more expensive 4K touch version for whatever reason.

Somebody talk me in to/out of this.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That wouldn't be too bad. Hopefully that is the case... I'm holding onto the 16GB RAM and crappy 256GB Toshiba SSD they shipped it with just in case - it's not worth much, anyway. It's more just the worries about replacements screwing things up.

And yeah - I personally think all the A51Ms are ticking time bombs at this point. Dell/Frank have been radio silent as machine... after machine... after machine is going up in smoke. It has to be a pretty niche device - how many people could possibly be a subset of gamers buying $4,000+ pre-built LAPTOPS from Dell and posting on an enthusiast forum like NBR? And even there, we've seen six or seven break, at least. Lots of rumors/gossip about BIOS updates and hardware revisions, but I've seen no evidence of either.

I'm fortunate that I have 1) the warranty and 2) plenty of back-up computers to get work done. Hopefully they get in front of their inventory and if mine burns up they can get it down to a <1week turn around. As it stands, people are waiting a month+ for their replacements and that's just BS. I'd be livid.

*knock on wood*
Yeah I've been in the NBR thread since the beginning. People are saying there is a new revision with upgraded MOSFETs but it's kinda ridiculous that you need to open the laptop to see if your GPU is of the old or newer breed. Plus it hasn't been proven that is the issue. Plus some laptops were burning at the mobo power supply port so that's an entirely different issue. People feel the 280W VBIOS may exacerbate the issue but again that hasn't been proven either.

It's an uncomfortable minefield when you've spent upwards of $4k for the hardest of hardcore of gaming laptops.

Fake Edit: Another one bit the dust on NBR today, oh boy That person had a 2070 too.

Gosh, I'm so close to hitting the Order button on a Razer Blade 15 with RTX 2060. It's just about everything I want in a laptop. I have (and will be selling) the Stealth from last year and have adored it. I can get a couple hundred bucks off the Blade 15 via student pricing at the Microsoft store, but I feel like the new consoles are gonna really change things up in a year or so.

Also I super love the glossy screen but that's only available in the wildly more expensive 4K touch version for whatever reason.

Somebody talk me in to/out of this.

The customer service horror stories keep me away.

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
When will Dell do a huge sale on their Alienware laptops? I want the m15.

I just ordered an m15 last night.

15% off coupon from Dell + 15% cashback from Ebates ($270 cashback on my unit). So basically $1530 after tax and shipping

Specs
15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS
8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H
16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
256GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

Only regret was not getting the 90wh battery, but honestly this thing is going to be plugged in 80% of the time.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The app with fan boost is called Lenovo Nerve Center (Sense). Search for that. I have a Y520 and use the app (I also bought my computer in Eastern Europe and installed Windows on it myself).

Update the Bios using your updater. I don't remember what it does, but they fix some bugs. I don't use Vantage, I just have Lenovo System Updater for important updates.

Last edited:

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
Thanks... I will probably wait for Memorial Day or back to college sales.

What is ebates?

Just a site that offers cashback on online purchases if you use their redirects. I don't really use their service since i hardly buy anything online nowadays but my wife does. She saw I had a refurbished m15 in my cart from Dell's outlet store so she found they were doing 15% for Dell.com (Dell Outlet only 2%). Picked and configured a new one and it came out to about the same as the refurb with slightly better specs (2060 vs 1060).

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Dell G7 15.6" with i7-8750H/32gb Ram/GTX2070Max-Q/512gb SSD + 1TB HDD/144hz recently as a desktop replacement. No complain so far other than fan noise gets loud as hell during gaming but that's expected for a gaming laptop. I have it sitting on a cooling pad and it still gets pretty damn hot during heavy use, not sure I would use this without any extra cooling TBH.

Been playing Division 2, DOOM, Apex Legends, RE2 on it and runs them all pretty good - though only DOOM and AL can utilize the 144hz screen.

psy18

Oct 25, 2017
Have been thinking about getting a gaming laptop to replace my 2013 MBA reason due to increased mobility in the past years.
Battery life and weight is a big concern, so my main choice at the moment is MSI GS65 9SD or Asus Zephyrus M GU502 (9750h + 1660ti, about 2 kg, about 6 hours browsing)

1. Quick google search shows the MSI model seems to having problem with the fan, mainly for 2018 model, which is a huge turnoff for me although I would be getting a newer improved model. Would Asus laptops have a better built quality compared to MSI?

2. I really miss gaming and I really hope getting this new gaming laptop will help but I'm having major doubt about the reliability of these thin gaming laptops due to its thin casing and the heat generated. Would these machine be reliable for 5+ year usage?

3. Anyone here have gaming laptop (those with more than 130 watt CPU + GPU power) with more than 4 years of age running without any issue?

Last edited:

Crazy_maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Is this worth it? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254088053654?ul_noapp=true

MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8SF-082AU 15.6" 144Hz IPS Gaming Laptop i7-8750H RTX2070

With the coupon it comes down to A$2499 (=1,736 USD) - it was actually down another A$200 a few days ago and kinda regretting not jumping on.
But I was kinda reading up on how easily MSI breaks and overheats.

And what are your opinions on Metabox? Is that worth chasing?

Open to other (Aussie deals) recommendations.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
anyone here with a razer laptop? i was looking to get the new razer 15. 2070 max Q, 240hz. new Core i7-9750H. the laptop looks amazing, i want;) its honestly so beautiful looking. just wondering if razer is a good laptop? and also i dont know if i should choose the mercury white or just black. kinda leaning toward mercury white since i always have black. need to try something new;)

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Have been thinking about getting a gaming laptop to replace my 2013 MBA reason due to increased mobility in the past years.
Battery life and weight is a big concern, so my main choice at the moment is MSI GS65 9SD or Asus Zephyrus M GU502 (9750h + 1660ti, about 2 kg, about 6 hours browsing)

1. Quick google search shows the MSI model seems to having problem with the fan, mainly for 2018 model, which is a huge turnoff for me although I would be getting a newer improved model. Would Asus laptops have a better built quality compared to MSI?

2. I really miss gaming and I really hope getting this new gaming laptop will help but I'm having major doubt about the reliability of these thin gaming laptops due to its thin casing and the heat generated. Would these machine be reliable for 5+ year usage?

3. Anyone here have gaming laptop (those with more than 130 watt CPU + GPU power) with more than 4 years of age running without any issue?
Of those machines I'd rate the Zephyrus M higher for build quality, as far as the chassis.

Heat doesn't kill laptops so I have never seen a reason to worry about that.

Is this worth it? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254088053654?ul_noapp=true

MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8SF-082AU 15.6" 144Hz IPS Gaming Laptop i7-8750H RTX2070

With the coupon it comes down to A$2499 (=1,736 USD) - it was actually down another A$200 a few days ago and kinda regretting not jumping on.
But I was kinda reading up on how easily MSI breaks and overheats.

And what are your opinions on Metabox? Is that worth chasing?

Open to other (Aussie deals) recommendations.
Depends on which Metabox you are spectating, but in general I would rank MSI higher.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Nitro-5-Gaming-Laptop-Intel-i5-2-30GHz-8GB-Ram-256GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home/263941141929?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263941141929&rvr_id=0&rvr_ts=b9386bc616a0ac8008b68032ff98d7ef&ul_noapp=true&pageci=7c7e5a12-904c-44a0-97f9-9dab9cf31ff4&epid=17025213752

Acer NITRO 5 Gaming Laptop Intel I5 2.30ghz 8gb RAM 256gb SSD

Any consensus on this for someone who isn't looking for anything too extravagant but would like to play games that are somewhat recent (3 years or so)? Or is there a better deal in the 600-700 range?
If $699 is the budget this ASUS TUF with GTX 1060 is a better specced machine.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
dumb question but i was seeing if i could run a game (hades) on my new laptop but i can't cause i don't have enough vram. Is there anything i can do about that?

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
Just got my Alienware M15 and the thermals are great except for when gaming. Fans kick up to 100% (even tho CPU usage never even breaks 20%) and CPU temps go from 45-50 when idle/web browsing to about 90 after about 30 mins of WoW.

I read that undervolting can help immensely and downloaded Throttlestop. My question is do the voltage adjustments stick or does Throttlestop need to be actively running?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
dumb question but i was seeing if i could run a game (hades) on my new laptop but i can't cause i don't have enough vram. Is there anything i can do about that?
What are the specs of your laptop? Hades only requires 1GB VRAM, I doubt you have less than that in 2019 if you have any GPU at all.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Just got my Alienware M15 and the thermals are great except for when gaming. Fans kick up to 100% (even tho CPU usage never even breaks 20%) and CPU temps go from 45-50 when idle/web browsing to about 90 after about 30 mins of WoW.

I read that undervolting can help immensely and downloaded Throttlestop. My question is do the voltage adjustments stick or does Throttlestop need to be actively running?
Yes Throttlestop has to be running for its setting to be active.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What are the specs of your laptop? Hades only requires 1GB VRAM, I doubt you have less than that in 2019 if you have any GPU at all.
It's a Lenovo Yoga 730. Honestly, the more I read about this laptop, the more I realize it just isn't great for gaming smh.
  • CPU
    Intel Core i5 (8th Gen) 8250U / 1.6 GHz
  • Max Turbo Speed
    3.4 GHz
  • Number of Cores
    Quad-Core
  • Cache
    6 MB
  • 64-bit Computing
    Yes
  • Features
    integrated memory controller
CACHE MEMORY
  • Installed Size
    6 MB
STORAGE
  • Interface
    PCIe
MEMORY
  • Technology
    DDR4 SDRAM
  • Speed
    2400 MHz
RAM
  • Memory Speed
    2400 MHz
  • Configuration Features
    provided memory is soldered
  • Technology
    DDR4 SDRAM
  • Installed Size
    8 GB

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It's a Lenovo Yoga 730. Honestly, the more I read about this laptop, the more I realize it just isn't great for gaming smh.
The game isn't exactly graphically intensive. I expect even an Intel 620 to do okay.

With the refund policy's out here I don't see why you shouldn't at least buy it to see how it runs.