• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Would you recommend purchasing any of the extended warranties with Lenovo? I'm not familiar with their history. Thanks again.
Lenovo's warranty options are so cheap I feel I'd have to add on something. I mean a year of premium onsite repair + accidental damage is about $50 extra. Why the heck not?

Looking at some G5 reviews it is a tempting laptop. But also looking at the XPS15 with a 1050TI (which is probably all I need) - also very tempting. Plus it would have the benefit of being portable and nice looking.

edit: Oh this looks also nice: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/asus+notebooks/rog+gaming/products_id/464845
How is cooling/temp on the rog notebooks?
The ROG line had good cooling, nice temps.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The Powerspec 1520 is now another $100 less. ($1400).

Looking over it again, only a few strange decisions made vs the 1510. Some are preference, but some are straight downgrades.

- 512GB WD Black NVMe SSD vs the 256gb Samsung Evo 960 NVMe SSD and 1TB no-brand HDD.
- 1 Mini Displayport and 1 USB C with Displayport connectivity vs 2 standard Mini Displayports on the older one (still version 1.3)
- Better port placement (1 usb A, 1 usb C w/ displayport capability, ethernet port moved to the back)
- (related) Added air vent on the right side and on the back where there used to be solid plastic​
- Same wonky numpad placement (arrow key overlaps where the 0 should be)

Downgrades (maybe*):
- Generic DDR4 Ram vs the G-skill Ripjaws in the older one
* Still no thunderbolt 3 port (not mentioned in specs), but it is listed as an additional option on the equivalent clevo sites that offer customization, so I may be wrong. The 1510 had some extras included as standard that are usually optional on the equivalent Clevo P650HS-G, and they were not explicitly mentioned in the specs.
* I also can't tell if there is a fingerprint reader, as it is not mentioned in specs. It would have to be hidden in the touchpad, which would be a big upgrade over the one on the 1510, which is pretty bad and scans inconsistently.

Also, if anyone has questions, let me know. I'll be going to MicroCenter probably tomorrow and I can get impressions/comparisons on the 1520 while I'm there. I like being a Powerspec shill, but I'll give honest criticism of its flaws. If you've got any specific concerns point them out.
The flaws would have to be pretty glaring for me to scoff at a full RTX 2070 at $1400.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Been reading a few tech sites and looking up some videos. Most of them said the GTX 1070 and 1660TI (laptop versions) are on par or even out perform the RTX 2060 (laptop version) in many day to day scenarios. Mainly due to the lower clocked speed on the 2060? Is this really true?

Crazy_maniac

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered this Metabox for 2300 AUD (1590 USD)

Metabox Prime-S P960EF
Display: 16.1" FHD 1920x1080 IPS-like Edge-to-Edge Matte 144Hz LED
Processor: Intel 6 Core i7-8750H (9M Cache 2.2- 4.1GHz)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 8GB GDDR6 VRAM (Max-Q)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz (1x8GB)
M.2 SSD 1: *Sale* 512GB SATA3 M.2 SSD 480/400MBs Read/Write
WiFi: Intel 9560 AC Dual Band WIFI/BTv5 (up to 1.73 Gbps)

Pretty good value for the price I think, should last me a couple of years at least.
So just got this today, all went well with the install and drivers. I just had a random reboot, didn't think much of it. But after work I got at it again and without doing any crazy stuff it would go into a reboot loop. Had that several times. Did a Windows repair and that seemed to help as the reboots stayed away. Then I had it once or twice again. And now after playing for a few hours the game freezes and I had to hard reboot. And it won't even start the windows boot anymore. Tries to attempt a Windows repair but goes straight to black. So it won't boot anymore. I can still get into bios but that's about it.
Already reached out to support and they said it might be drivers. But I'm worried it's hardware. Possible overheating? This will be a fun few weeks ahead I'm sure ...

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So just got this today, all went well with the install and drivers. I just had a random reboot, didn't think much of it. But after work I got at it again and without doing any crazy stuff it would go into a reboot loop. Had that several times. Did a Windows repair and that seemed to help as the reboots stayed away. Then I had it once or twice again. And now after playing for a few hours the game freezes and I had to hard reboot. And it won't even start the windows boot anymore. Tries to attempt a Windows repair but goes straight to black. So it won't boot anymore. I can still get into bios but that's about it.
Already reached out to support and they said it might be drivers. But I'm worried it's hardware. Possible overheating? This will be a fun few weeks ahead I'm sure ...
It could be a lot of things. I would suspect faulty HDD/SSD. If it was overheating then it would lower the clockspeeds first ( that would result in low framerate which you could notice). You can go to BIOS immediately after it reboots to see temps there. If you have time you can run Linux Live CD and see if it reboots there. If not, then its either HDD/SSD fault or software fault like support said.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas

Ugh, sorry dude. Nothing worse than this happening. Does it feel hot, fans running and running fast or?

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hi guys, looking for a recommendation. Moving out to China later this year for the next year and a half at the minimum and so want a new laptop as mine is on the way out and while I'm a console gamer I want something nice and portable to allow me to keep gaming. Not got a whole lot of budget to work with as moving half way around the world is pretty expensive already.

I've settled on either the Acer Predator Helios 300 (with the 1050ti) or the HP Omen (with the 1050). Common sense is telling me to go with the Helios, but thought I would check here first. Anyone familiar with these two have a definite recommendation?

Last edited:

Crazy_maniac

Oct 25, 2017
It could be a lot of things. I would suspect faulty HDD/SSD. If it was overheating then it would lower the clockspeeds first ( that would result in low framerate which you could notice). You can go to BIOS immediately after it reboots to see temps there. If you have time you can run Linux Live CD and see if it reboots there. If not, then its either HDD/SSD fault or software fault like support said.
Now that you mention the SSD. One thing I did do after installing Windows, was go into bios and change the SSD settings to intel Optane because the manual mentioned something like that. But it seems my SSD doesn't support that. After that it was having trouble booting too as it was attempting to repair windows. So I aborted that, went back into bios and changed it back to default. It booted normally after that.

I'll try the linux booting in the morning (it's past midnight here) and otherwise a straight up reinstall of Windows. I forgot to check the temps but right now it has cooled down and I don't remember the fans going too crazy. It felt a bit hot but nothing extreme, the fans were definitely not going maximum. I was already playing Overwatch for about 3 hours before it froze.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I would use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB, and attempt a clean install of the OS.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a 14inch solid gaming laptop option.
My current laptop is almost 3 years old, it's a 15.6in screen but with it's large bezels it's probably closer to 16.6 inches which makes it kinda awkward to carry around. It's running a 1060 - 3 gig non max-q (the mobile version) a skylake i5 and has 16 gigs of ram.

I was thinking about upgrading to something a bit more portable around black friday this year but everything looks too big.

Was kinda looking at the Zephyrus S Ultra Slim, it's going for about 1400 with a 1070gtx and an i7-8750h

It's a 15.6in display but it's got super slim bezels and the laptop itself is .6in thick.

Anyone know of anything comparable?

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
since i found this thread ill take my shot....

im looking to buy a laptop not necessarily for gaming but if it had the capability for some low end time wasting time type games that would be a bonus. Id be looking for something in the 5-800 range. I would mostly use it for messing around on the internet when i didnt feel like having my pc on or when im just lounging around.

any decent suggestions ?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
May I counter with this Lenovo? It's actually brand new, and has way better, updated specs.

I wish there was a 14inch solid gaming laptop option.
My current laptop is almost 3 years old, it's a 15.6in screen but with it's large bezels it's probably closer to 16.6 inches which makes it kinda awkward to carry around. It's running a 1060 - 3 gig non max-q (the mobile version) a skylake i5 and has 16 gigs of ram.

I was thinking about upgrading to something a bit more portable around black friday this year but everything looks too big.

Was kinda looking at the Zephyrus S Ultra Slim, it's going for about 1400 with a 1070gtx and an i7-8750h

It's a 15.6in display but it's got super slim bezels and the laptop itself is .6in thick.

Anyone know of anything comparable?
Buying a brand new laptop to go from a 1060 to a 1070 Max-Q is not what I consider a wise move.

What do you think of this laptop? 15.6" with slim bezels so it's closer to the size of a 14" machine, $1500 with an i7-8750H, RTX 2070, 144Hz, and a mechanical keyboard.

since i found this thread ill take my shot....

im looking to buy a laptop not necessarily for gaming but if it had the capability for some low end time wasting time type games that would be a bonus. Id be looking for something in the 5-800 range. I would mostly use it for messing around on the internet when i didnt feel like having my pc on or when im just lounging around.

any decent suggestions ?
If you want to just spend $800 for something good and be done with it, I suggest this Dell.

Capable of far more than low end gaming tbh, but you might as well just take it.

Crazy_maniac

Oct 25, 2017
I would use the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB, and attempt a clean install of the OS.
So I tried both running a Linux boot from usb and installing windows from scratch but I think the machine is just proper fucked because it won't even let me do that. It shows the Metabox logo with a spinning dial for half a second and then goes black and tries to reboot. So yeah, called up the shop I bought it through, he's going to get to Metabox. They better just send me another one instead of trying to fix it because that's just going to take forever.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So I tried both running a Linux boot from usb and installing windows from scratch but I think the machine is just proper fucked because it won't even let me do that. It shows the Metabox logo with a spinning dial for half a second and then goes black and tries to reboot. So yeah, called up the shop I bought it through, he's going to get to Metabox. They better just send me another one instead of trying to fix it because that's just going to take forever.
This is dumb question from IT guy, so forgive me. Did you go in the BIOS and make the USB the first boot option?

Crazy_maniac

Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb question from IT guy, so forgive me. Did you go in the BIOS and make the USB the first boot option?
No worries, appreciate the help.
Yeah in the bios you can just select which one you want to boot from so I did that. And then I even disabled the Windows drive boot and no luck either.
With the Linux version I still got an option if I wanted to run the default version or copy everything to RAM so I could make that selection, but once it went through it was just black screen again.

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a brand new laptop to go from a 1060 to a 1070 Max-Q is not what I consider a wise move.

What do you think of this laptop? 15.6" with slim bezels so it's closer to the size of a 14" machine, $1500 with an i7-8750H, RTX 2070, 144Hz, and a mechanical keyboard.
Yeah I know lol, it really doesn't feel like a wise move at all. Which makes finding a laptop to replace mine with a much more frustrating task lol. Realistically I probably shouldn't be replacing this for another year or so.

Also could you relink? That link doesn't seem to work.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah I know lol, it really doesn't feel like a wise move at all. Which makes finding a laptop to replace mine with a much more frustrating task lol. Realistically I probably shouldn't be replacing this for another year or so.

This is is what I am doing right now; I have a GTX 970M which I still cannot determine whether it is 3 or 4 GB :V, and the fella is doing good work for me so far. I'm waiting to see what 2020 has in store, but what I know for sure: My next lappy's GPU will be 8 GB.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

Let's try this again. Eluktronics MECH-15 G2R Slim.
This is is what I am doing right now; I have a GTX 970M which I still cannot determine whether it is 3 or 4 GB :V, and the fella is doing good work for me so far. I'm waiting to see what 2020 has in store, but what I know for sure: My next lappy's GPU will be 8 GB.
What laptop do you have? I will know immediately if it is the 3GB or 6GB variant. Or you could go Nvidia Control Panel -> Help at the top -> System Information -> Scroll down and read 'Dedicated video memory' and there is your answer.

As far as upgrading yeah we are in an awkward phase. My honest advice to anyone with a high end 900M (970M, 980M) or a 1050 Ti and up is to try your damnedest to hold out until the RTX 3000 or 2100 or whatever Nvidia's next generation 7nm GPUs will be called.

Oct 25, 2017
That actually looks like a really awesome value lmao. But I dunno upgrading my 1060 + i5 laptop to a 2070 + i7 for 1500 feels like a lot for probably a 30-50% performance boost. Which granted is a nice performance boost but my last upgrade was a GT 750m to a 1060 and that was like a 200% power boost lol.

It really is an awkward phase, which is why I'm looking more at form factor rather than performance as an avenue to justify an upgrade lol.

The mechanical keyboard seems nice but the comments seem to say the laptop is fairly loud while the ROG Zephyrus S seems to be pretty quiet.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Got the HP Omen 15 dc1024na today and I'm really happy with most of it. Build quality is better than I was expecting and I've now realised that I'm used to the keyboard already, which is nice and quiet and is accompanied by a very good trackpad (at least in comparison to what I've used previously).

Fans seem very... enthusiastic, though. Not sure if this is just what gaming laptops are like as I've never had one before. It appears to be an efficient cooling system but I've not monitored temps properly yet. Not had a chance to play anything, but hopefully the 1660 Ti does end up being comparable to my desktop 1070.

512GB included, space for a 2.5" drive, and an extra empty ram slot which will soon be filled by another 8GB stick.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
That actually looks like a really awesome value lmao. But I dunno upgrading my 1060 + i5 laptop to a 2070 + i7 for 1500 feels like a lot for probably a 30-50% performance boost. Which granted is a nice performance boost but my last upgrade was a GT 750m to a 1060 and that was like a 200% power boost lol.

It really is an awkward phase, which is why I'm looking more at form factor rather than performance as an avenue to justify an upgrade lol.

The mechanical keyboard seems nice but the comments seem to say the laptop is fairly loud while the ROG Zephyrus S seems to be pretty quiet.

Same boat as you, I always hold of for two generations of video cards, and this is especially true for going from the 1000->2000 series in my opinion. It is always easy to say wait, but I think in this case it is even more true. I'm really hoping we start to see more 1440p panels during that time as well.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Let's try this again. Eluktronics MECH-15 G2R Slim.

What laptop do you have? I will know immediately if it is the 3GB or 6GB variant. Or you could go Nvidia Control Panel -> Help at the top -> System Information -> Scroll down and read 'Dedicated video memory' and there is your answer.

As far as upgrading yeah we are in an awkward phase. My honest advice to anyone with a high end 900M (970M, 980M) or a 1050 Ti and up is to try your damnedest to hold out until the RTX 3000 or 2100 or whatever Nvidia's next generation 7nm GPUs will be called.
OK this is weird, my dedicated Video memory shows 6 GB, yet some games i RUN show either 3 or 4 GB that they can use. I have a GTX 970M.
My brother is in the market for a new laptop, so for him, even an RTX card will serve him fine.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

I would say that going from the 1060 3GB to a full power 2070 8GB is more in the 65-80% range as far as raw performance boost.

My advice is that you suffer your current machine until the next generation. Less chance of regret that way.

Same boat as you, I always hold of for two generations of video cards, and this is especially true for going from the 1000->2000 series in my opinion. It is always easy to say wait, but I think in this case it is even more true. I'm really hoping we start to see more 1440p panels during that time as well.

I leapfrog generations as well. Upgrading my laptop once every 2-3 years has never failed me.
OK this is weird, my dedicated Video memory shows 6 GB, yet some games i RUN show either 3 or 4 GB that they can use. I have a GTX 970M.
My brother is in the market for a new laptop, so for him, even an RTX card will serve him fine.
That I can't explain. You could try running an overlay while you game, like MSI Afterbuener's, and see what it reports.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need some recommendations for a laptop with a gtx 1050 or 1060 in the 800-900 USD range = 1000-1100 CAD
found this one so far, https://www.newegg.ca/black-acer-as...inment/p/N82E16834316444?Item=N82E16834316444

I recently purchased this one with better specs and is currently on sale for $900 USD. https://www.newegg.com/obsidian-bla...-700j-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834316435#

I haven't stress tested it too much, but it runs Halo Wars 2 like a charm. Downside is it doesn't come with an extra HDD in addition to the SSD. It does have a 2.5" slot for when you wanna upgrade though.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
1440p panels seem to be going away in favor of 4K.

I love the one on my Alienware 17 R4, so I'm tempted to get a m17 with one before they retire it because it is more portable.

But then I have the 13 R3 OLED... >.<

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah id like to see more 1440p panels too :/

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Could anyone tell me if this refurbished laptop looks okay? i have a tiny budget and this seems to be the best one i found (not suitable for gaming i know but i play a lot of older games anyway) or if there's a better option around the same price? thanks

link

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hello, lately i have been looking to replace my current laptop (a MacBook pro mid 2012) due it being on it's last hinges in relation to what i want and need. I have been trying to discover a bit of the systems available but i find it hard to find my way through the vast amount of systems and brands around nowadays with the specifications i am looking for.

While i want to be able to game on the laptop right now it is more important that it will be a decent ecosystem on which i can also do my professional work which involves rendering and modelling (architecture). My first instinct would be to go look for architects guides but in all honesty they're rubbish between the go for a new Apple machine or invest in those new fancy Surface Pro's, which from my optics both are way overpriced for what you get.

My main requirements are that it has a dedicated graphics card that packs a good punch for rendering, a decent screen, a decent battery (simple work up to 6 hours preferably) and as lightweight as possible. I was thinking of a budget of €1500 though i am willing to invest a bit more if necessary...

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Could anyone tell me if this refurbished laptop looks okay? i have a tiny budget and this seems to be the best one i found (not suitable for gaming i know but i play a lot of older games anyway) or if there's a better option around the same price? thanks

link
I doubt you will see much variation in the price range.

is the Lenovo Legion Y540 with 1660Ti worth it?
Worth what exactly?

Decide whether the 2-in-1 functionality matters. If not choose #1 because it is #2 without the hybrid premium.