• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hello, lately i have been looking to replace my current laptop (a MacBook pro mid 2012) due it being on it's last hinges in relation to what i want and need. I have been trying to discover a bit of the systems available but i find it hard to find my way through the vast amount of systems and brands around nowadays with the specifications i am looking for.

While i want to be able to game on the laptop right now it is more important that it will be a decent ecosystem on which i can also do my professional work which involves rendering and modelling (architecture). My first instinct would be to go look for architects guides but in all honesty they're rubbish between the go for a new Apple machine or invest in those new fancy Surface Pro's, which from my optics both are way overpriced for what you get.

My main requirements are that it has a dedicated graphics card that packs a good punch for rendering, a decent screen, a decent battery (simple work up to 6 hours preferably) and as lightweight as possible. I was thinking of a budget of €1500 though i am willing to invest a bit more if necessary...
I have no point of reference, a far as how much GPU your software needs.
How viable is gaming on a 4K screen? I sort of want to buy the new Dell XPS 15 with the OLED 4K screen, when I can afford it
What exactly do you mean by how "viable" it is? You certainly won't be gaming at 4K in most genres, not with what an XPS packs.

You can just turn the game's internal resolution down to 1080p and be fine though.

Oct 27, 2017

What exactly do you mean by how "viable" it is? You certainly won't be gaming at 4K in most genres, not with what an XPS packs.

You can just turn the game's internal resolution down to 1080p and be fine though.
That's what I wanted to know, thanks. Shouldn't be too bad then, I guess.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
How viable is gaming on a 4K screen? I sort of want to buy the new Dell XPS 15 with the OLED 4K screen, when I can afford it
That's a 1050Ti now, and a 1650 Ti with the refresh.

Not at 4k in recent games, and even then, you'd more likely play at 1080p upscaled to get closer to 60 fps.

Notice I said closer to 60. It is no 1060.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

My apologies, that should have been smart to include indeed

Vectorworks
Mid-level Profile: For medium-size projects, complex models/drawings with medium level of details (such as small commercial projects, mid-size entertainment venues, residential site modeling)
Processor: 64-bit Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) clocked at 2GHz or better
RAM: 8GB-16GB or more
Graphics Card: A dedicated OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics card with 2GB-4GB of VRAM or more

Rhino
Hardware:
  • 8 GB memory (RAM) or more is recommended.
  • 600 MB disk space.
  • OpenGL 4.1 capable video card is recommended.
    4 GB Video RAM recommended.
  • No more than 63 CPU Cores.
  • Multiple-button mouse with scroll wheel is recommended.
  • The SpaceNavigator is supported.
I will be using VW the most.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
My apologies, that should have been smart to include indeed

Vectorworks
Mid-level Profile: For medium-size projects, complex models/drawings with medium level of details (such as small commercial projects, mid-size entertainment venues, residential site modeling)
Processor: 64-bit Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) clocked at 2GHz or better
RAM: 8GB-16GB or more
Graphics Card: A dedicated OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics card with 2GB-4GB of VRAM or more

Rhino
Hardware:
  • 8 GB memory (RAM) or more is recommended.
  • 600 MB disk space.
  • OpenGL 4.1 capable video card is recommended.
    4 GB Video RAM recommended.
  • No more than 63 CPU Cores.
  • Multiple-button mouse with scroll wheel is recommended.
  • The SpaceNavigator is supported.
I will be using VW the most.
So we need an i7-8750H, 4GB GDDR5 and preferably 16GB DDR4. Definitely can be had for €1500.

I would like to peruse some of the online computer stores of your country. Would you mind providing a few links?

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What's good folks!

Just got a gaming laptop Legion Y530 for a great deal. Had a question about upgrades.

Currently have a m.2 slot occupied (128gb) and an empty Sata 3 slot. Should I just get a bigger m.2 (1tb) or just add a (1tb) Sata SSD?

Thanks in advance.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What's good folks!

Just got a gaming laptop Legion Y530 for a great deal. Had a question about upgrades.

Currently have a m.2 slot occupied (128gb) and an empty Sata 3 slot. Should I just get a bigger m.2 (1tb) or just add a (1tb) Sata SSD?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think there is an objective answer to what you should do.

NVMe is the superior and far faster technology, but you can get a 2TB 2.5" drive for the same cost of a high class 1TB NMVe.

My advice is to fill the 2.5" slot then think about upgrading the NVMe later. Buy something like the well regarded WD Blue and you'll never have to worry about space for a long time. Games never console gen are going to be over 100GB so you should definitely consider just biting the bullet and going 2TB now.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My Dell G5 should be arriving tomorrow!

Can't wait to try it out. Planning in trying out DOOM and Outer Wilds.

Hopefully I can just transfer DOOM from my Desktop to my Laptop with my USB HDD since I'd like to avoid redownloading all of it again.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts on this laptop in terms of value? I'm primarily looking for something to play WoW Classic on and I'm sure it's more than capable of handling that. Mostly wondering if there are better options at that price. I have a Micro Center near me, but I'm not completely opposed to buying elsewhere/online. Thanks for any help/advice!

Get this instead https://www.microcenter.com/product/602316/1520-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Any thoughts on this laptop in terms of value? I'm primarily looking for something to play WoW Classic on and I'm sure it's more than capable of handling that. Mostly wondering if there are better options at that price. I have a Micro Center near me, but I'm not completely opposed to buying elsewhere/online. Thanks for any help/advice!

An Alienware 17 for a grand is a good ass deal, never ever thought they'd drop that low.

Built like a tank.
My Dell G5 should be arriving tomorrow!

Can't wait to try it out. Planning in trying out DOOM and Outer Wilds.

Hopefully I can just transfer DOOM from my Desktop to my Laptop with my USB HDD since I'd like to avoid redownloading all of it again.
Definitely let us know what you think after some usage.

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
I'm waiting to preorder the M15/17 R2 refresh for June 11th but I'll be damned if this isn't tempting right now. With coupon code it comes out to $1699 before tax (free expedited shipping). Is the dropoff massive on a 1080 Max-Q compared to its non-Q brother?

Alienware 15 R4 w/ 1080 for $1999 - 15%
$2,899.99 $1,999.99
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X with Max-Q Design
16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz; up to 32GB
256GB M.2 PCIe SSD + 1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
15.6" UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Display

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, maybe I'm not getting my laptop today.

FedEx is still showing as estimated delivery of today, but there's been no movement of it, just the label creation.

I hope I don't have to wait another week (that was Dell's original estimate).

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
debating between a legion y530 with 256GB ssd with a 1060 card and i5-8300H for $1500 cad with tax and a y540 with 128GB ssd, 1660 ti, and i5 9300H for $1600 cad

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting to preorder the M15/17 R2 refresh for June 11th but I'll be damned if this isn't tempting right now. With coupon code it comes out to $1699 before tax (free expedited shipping). Is the dropoff massive on a 1080 Max-Q compared to its non-Q brother?
Check the Dell outlet first. They should have plenty.

Be aware that you will have to repaste it at least to get decent thermals.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ultimately went with this and I'm a huge fan. The Alienware was just too damn big.

Glad you liked it. And yes, unless you're doing a 1080 in that size, not worth it. And I speak as a 17 R4 7820HK 1080 32GB 120Hz QHD Gsync owner.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Great, NOW my laptop shipped and should be here tomorrow.

Sadly that means I'll probably not be home when they try to deliver it and I'll have to wait until a later day or drive to the FedEx center a ways away to get it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
debating between a legion y530 with 256GB ssd with a 1060 card and i5-8300H for $1500 cad with tax and a y540 with 128GB ssd, 1660 ti, and i5 9300H for $1600 cad
There should be nn debate.

Faster CPU and GPU should always takes precedence.
Great, NOW my laptop shipped and should be here tomorrow.

Sadly that means I'll probably not be home when they try to deliver it and I'll have to wait until a later day or drive to the FedEx center a ways away to get it.

Dell is the worst company I've ever seen, when it comes to consistently failing to miss delivery dates. Shockingly bad.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
There should be nn debate.

Faster CPU and GPU should always takes precedence.

Dell is the worst company I've ever seen, when it comes to consistently failing to miss delivery dates. Shockingly bad.
the 3 week delivery time for y540 is what is annoying, any comparable alternatives to these ?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Strangely it seems to be on FedEx's side of things, not Dell's.

It said it would be here today, but tracking only shows it as being in my city, not that it's out for delivery.

When I called FedEx they said the location didn't have it, so it probably WAS on a truck being delivered, but they're usually better about updating the tracker.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Tempted to sell my switch and use the funds to either help get a Lenovo y530 with a 1050ti open box at best buy for $640 or get a Nitro 5 for $780 with a 1650. Any takes?

In the past I've had an alienware while it was nice I want something small and have learned, at least I hope, that I do not need a super powerful laptop since I have PC with a 2070, what do you all think?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Damnit.

Apparently because Dell shipped my laptop with FedEx Home, I'm not able to just go to a FedEx center and pick the laptop up today.
I have to wait for them to re-deliver it to me tomorrow (my fiance will be home thankfully), or they'll call me in the morning to figure out an alternate way to get it to me.

I'm considering just going to the damn Fedex center anyways (it's pretty close to me) and just begging someone there to get it for me off the truck.

Crazy_maniac

Oct 25, 2017
No worries, appreciate the help.
Yeah in the bios you can just select which one you want to boot from so I did that. And then I even disabled the Windows drive boot and no luck either.
With the Linux version I still got an option if I wanted to run the default version or copy everything to RAM so I could make that selection, but once it went through it was just black screen again.
So after all this hassle I got my replacement yesterday, seems to be the same one but they must've swapped out some bad hardware parts because everything is running smoothly now.

Any free benchmarks out there that are good to test the machine on?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Good news, I WAS able to go to FedEx in person and just pick the damn thing up. Called 3 times and they said I couldn't, but I had a hunch the person working there wouldn't care and might get it for me, and I was right!

So my impressions of the Dell G5 (i7-9750H, 1660 Ti, 8gb RAM, 144hz monitor) for the first hour or two:
Only been playing with it for about an hour or so (no games yet), but I'm liking it so far.
Screen quality seems fine, maybe a tiny bit of backlight bleed on the bottom right, but not very noticeable at all. Haven't tried it in the daytime so I can't tell how bright it gets, but seems solid at the moment.
Can definitely tell it's a bit smoother than a normal 60hz monitor but not a massive difference in just day to day stuff I've been doing (can't wait to try some older games to get max framerate for it).
Sadly doesn't seem to be Gsync compatible, but I've lived without it this long so i think I'll be fine.

Keyboard is nice, not very "Gamer-y" in design which I'm thankful for (no crazy fonts or key shapes) other than the squares around the WASD keys. Only thing I don't like so far is the bright white light on the power button. I'm definitely going to put some tape over it to dim it.

The look of the laptop is very nice too. Dark grey color with a reflective blue Dell logo that looks really nice.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Good news, I WAS able to go to FedEx in person and just pick the damn thing up. Called 3 times and they said I couldn't, but I had a hunch the person working there wouldn't care and might get it for me, and I was right!

So my impressions of the Dell G5 (i7-9750H, 1660 Ti, 8gb RAM, 144hz monitor) for the first hour or two:
Only been playing with it for about an hour or so (no games yet), but I'm liking it so far.
Screen quality seems fine, maybe a tiny bit of backlight bleed on the bottom right, but not very noticeable at all. Haven't tried it in the daytime so I can't tell how bright it gets, but seems solid at the moment.
Can definitely tell it's a bit smoother than a normal 60hz monitor but not a massive difference in just day to day stuff I've been doing (can't wait to try some older games to get max framerate for it).
Sadly doesn't seem to be Gsync compatible, but I've lived without it this long so i think I'll be fine.

Keyboard is nice, not very "Gamer-y" in design which I'm thankful for (no crazy fonts or key shapes) other than the squares around the WASD keys. Only thing I don't like so far is the bright white light on the power button. I'm definitely going to put some tape over it to dim it.

The look of the laptop is very nice too. Dark grey color with a reflective blue Dell logo that looks really nice.
You sure it is set to 144 Hz?

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Got my Eluktronics Mech-15 G2 in this week but the backlit keyboard is not working...

A little frustrating but obviously not preventing me from using the laptop. Working with their tech support now, just hope I dont have to send it in...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You sure it is set to 144 Hz?
I'll check when I get home from work. I'm pretty sure it's at least set to higher than 60hz.
It definitely seemed like the mouse movement and website scrolling was smoother than a typical monitor.

I finished downloading Assassin's Creed Origin last night so I'll also test that out later today. It should give me a good idea of the kind of performance I can expect with higher end games.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Whelp, played with my laptop for a bit today and I'm thinking I'm going to swallow the restock fee and return it to Dell.
Still might try it out for a few more days, but that's definitely where I'm leaning.

I double checked that the monitor was set to 144hz, and either it's not the best quality monitor (more than likely) or my eyes don't see much of a difference between 60 and 144, because while I could tell it was a little smoother overall (moving the mouse around, browsing, etc), it didn't feel twice as good or anything.

Playing Assassin's Creed Origins, I had to bump most of the settings down to about medium to get it running at a decent framerate, but even then it was way more stuttery than my desktop (i5-8400, GTX 1070). I didn't expect it to be on par with my desktop of course, but I had hoped it would at least run it at medium reasonably well.
On top of that, the fans kicked in immediately after starting the game and were really, really loud. I knew it wouldn't be a silent laptop, but I wasn't expecting to need to crank the speaker up to hear anything.
My ideal use case was to play with the laptop on my lap while on the couch watching TV, and being as loud as it is it would be distracting for me and my fiance.

I also tried a less graphically intensive game, Outer Wilds. It ran perfectly from what I could tell, but it's definitely a game I could play with in-home streaming with no issues.

Since I get high quality, low latency performance from my in-home streaming setup (pretty fast internet, Orbi Routers, and a Surface 3 running Moonlight), I honestly liked the results I get doing that over what I was getting with this laptop, at least for a big modern open world game like AC: Origins.
I had hoped that this gaming laptop would make a big enough difference for me to make the switch (and sell my tablet and desktop). Plus it was such an impulse buy due to the Memorial Day sale, that's over $1k that could really be better spent elsewhere (like property taxes, or save it for vacation).

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Got a buddy looking for a gaming laptop he can use while traveling. He doesn't need anything particularly portable, just a luggable. Budget's 2000. What would y'all recommend for him?

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
My Gaming laptop internet went from 140+ to 70+ sometimes lower, while my cheap laptop and Xbox still show 140+ internet connection. I reinstalled drivers, could it be my modem/router hybrid? or is my wireless card going out? Looking up info, you cant change out the wireless card on my laptop, I have a usb c tho.

edit: Fixed. Uninstalled smartbyte, now I get 180+

Last edited:

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I recently purchased this one with better specs and is currently on sale for $900 USD. https://www.newegg.com/obsidian-bla...-700j-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834316435#

I haven't stress tested it too much, but it runs Halo Wars 2 like a charm. Downside is it doesn't come with an extra HDD in addition to the SSD. It does have a 2.5" slot for when you wanna upgrade though.

How is this laptop going for you? This looks like what I want and while most of the reviews on Newegg look positive, there are lots of negative ones complaining about overheating and other hardware issues. I would like anyone else who has experience with this laptop to chime in as well.

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
Was hoping you guys could help me with an issue I have recently had with my 15r3. As soon as I try to start playing a game or stress test the machine, it will lock up on me. Sometimes the screen goes blank(first vid), sometimes it does the flicker(second vid). It works fine on battery power, but of course is not running full strength. I have tried reverting to old bios, and old graphics drivers, as well as a clean install of the current graphics driver. Each time it does this I have to hard reset. Help!

Outdoor Miner

Oct 26, 2017
Broward County FL, USA
Been reading allot about temperature issues on dell laptops, how bad is it on m15 and G7 laptops?

I can only speak to the M15 that I had for 3-ish weeks. Thermals out of the box are not great. I had the i7-8750H/RTX 2060 version and CPU temps would hit 100c playing a non-intensive game like Diablo III. It took about a week of playing around with different fan profiles in Alienware Command Center and undervolting with Throttlestop (Intel XTU also works here) to get to a point where I was really comfortable.

By the end I was gaming for 3 plus hours and CPU temps never broke 85c and the GPU never went past 70c. And this was with a fan profile set to 60% on both CPU/GPU (i really hate loud fans).

So decent thermals are possible, it'll just require some tweaking on your part.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak to the M15 that I had for 3-ish weeks. Thermals out of the box are not great. I had the i7-8750H/RTX 2060 version and CPU temps would hit 100c playing a non-intensive game like Diablo III. It took about a week of playing around with different fan profiles in Alienware Command Center and undervolting with Throttlestop (Intel XTU also works here) to get to a point where I was really comfortable.

By the end I was gaming for 3 plus hours and CPU temps never broke 85c and the GPU never went past 70c. And this was with a fan profile set to 60% on both CPU/GPU (i really hate loud fans).

thanks for the detailed answer, looks like a pass for me

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

You should repaste.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I think my one week old Eluktronics Mech-15 G2 is having some heating issues. I started up Planet Coaster for maybe 10-15 minutes. Fans turn on and I notice almost immediately if I leave my fingers on the metal portion near the power button of the laptop I might lose my finger prints.

Checked the temps and it got up to 91c. I turned the game off and shutdown the laptop. Seems crazy high for that short amount of time.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Returning my Dell G5, but when I called to finish the return (they wanted more info before doing the return), they offered me another discount (not sure how much) over the sale price I payed if I wanted to keep it.

Sadly getting (most of) my money back is more important to me than having the laptop at this point, but I appreciated the offer.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I think my one week old Eluktronics Mech-15 G2 is having some heating issues. I started up Planet Coaster for maybe 10-15 minutes. Fans turn on and I notice almost immediately if I leave my fingers on the metal portion near the power button of the laptop I might lose my finger prints.

Checked the temps and it got up to 91c. I turned the game off and shutdown the laptop. Seems crazy high for that short amount of time.
91C really isn't that extreme. The i7-8750H running a bit hot is completely normal. Just undervolt your CPU to get it more under control.
Returning my Dell G5, but when I called to finish the return (they wanted more info before doing the return), they offered me another discount (not sure how much) over the sale price I payed if I wanted to keep it.

Sadly getting (most of) my money back is more important to me than having the laptop at this point, but I appreciated the offer.
Were the fans the main issue? There is software you can use to create fan profiles.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Was hoping you guys could help me with an issue I have recently had with my 15r3. As soon as I try to start playing a game or stress test the machine, it will lock up on me. Sometimes the screen goes blank(first vid), sometimes it does the flicker(second vid). It works fine on battery power, but of course is not running full strength. I have tried reverting to old bios, and old graphics drivers, as well as a clean install of the current graphics driver. Each time it does this I have to hard reset. Help!

Are you undervolting or overclocking?